Secrets

We left the courtroom.

Kirumi's screams echoed through my ears and her body hitting the ground flashed through my mind. I didn't know what to think. Sure, Kirumi shouldn't have murdered Ryoma, but she had so much on her shoulders... I gripped Gonta's arm tighter as I felt my legs give up on me.

"Y/N." Kokichi held onto my arm, giving me an unreadable look, even to me. "I think there are painkillers in the warehouse."

Ah, so that's what he was thinking about.

"Gonta, you've been quite silent. What's wrong?" He looked at me. "Ah, it's just... even though we in killing game, stars are still pretty." I looked up. They are, aren't they?

"But... they not the stars Gonta remembers." The stars he remembers? I feel like Kaito should've been the one to notice that.

I let go of Gonta's arm and was about to walk away when, "Can I say something?" I turned around and looked at Kokichi. "What do you want to say?" He giggled. "All of you think that I'm a compulsive liar, but there's an even bigger liar in our midst." He turned to Maki.

"Wait, Kokichi, what are you talking about?" I asked.

"Well, Maki, when Ryoma visited you, he had your motive video, right? I'm guessing... he blackmailed you to reveal his." I looked at Kokichi. "What do you mean?" "I mean... Maki isn't who she says she is."

Practically at the speed of light, Maki runs to Kokichi and wraps her hand around his neck. "M-Maki!"

Kokichi let out a struggled laugh. "A-are you... really going to kill me now... Ultimate Assassin?" My eyes widened. Ultimate... what?

Maki lowered Kokichi down and he gasped for air. I knelt down beside him. "Wait, Maki-" But she had already left. "L-Let's just get some sleep." I said as I helped Kokichi up.

"Wait, Mind Reader!" He took my hand and led me to the warehouse of the school. "W-What are you doing?"

He dug into one of the boxes and held up a bottle of painkillers. "See? I told you there were some!" I opened my mouth to say something, but I ended up laughing.

"Well, I guess there are."

"Say ah~" He plopped a painkiller into my mouth and grinned once more. "Hold on, I'll find a water bottle." He looked around, disappearing into the shelves for a few minutes before coming back. "Found one!"

He held it out for me to drink and I gave him a look. "You're acting unusually caring."

"What? No! I'm always a caring, good boy."

I raised a brow, but drank the water anyway. "Goodnight, Kokichi."

I lied in bed. "I guess it's suspicious... but Maki has had so many chances to kill us and she hasn't..." With that thought in mind, I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, we stopped by Maki's research lab. "Whoa..." I looked around the room. There were guns, knives, training gear, and even a cloak.

I bit my lip. "A-alright, it may look suspicious but-" "See, I told you she was the Ultimate Assassin!" Kokichi interrupted. And he's a totally different person from last night.

"Wait, Kokichi, you know that because you watched the motive video, right?" Shuichi asked.

"What? Oh, I knew this whole time, given my position." Position? "Anyways, Maki's reaction yesterday kind of gives it away." I looked around the room.

"Wait, did she tell us she was the Ultimate Child Caregiver so that she would be able to kill us?" Tsumugi asked.

"But she hasn't killed us yet and she's been given plenty of opportunities to do so." K1-B0 added.