Chapter One

Knots coiled in my stomach.

Students flocked to residency, the majority of them anyway, and soon I would. Living with a roommate would be a different change in life, different from the days I roomed with Tori, of course. My roommate could turn out to be similar to Tori — and God help me — or be completely the opposite. It never helped how new I was to the city and Henrick College. It stumped me how we were fortunate enough to make the move.

In their prime, my dad and Arthur were inseparable. Through their four years of foolishness, a touch of their personalities rubbed off on Tori and I. But compared to dad's confidence, I'd never match up. And now were closer.

If my dad stayed the same old man back then, I'd have more siblings than the two I have now. Imagine having an older sibling bossing you around? I'd hate that.

Now, for Tori and I, College would be the third school we attend together and boy what kind of nonsense would she drag me through this time? We'd be doors down. Visitations and plans were now to be much easier planned. Strangely enough, we both waited a year working before we wanted to his the books and trudge through hell — her kind, first.

A plate of a well-done scrumptious omelet, a side of sweet, crisp scented bread and Frootloops kept my focus. The sweet delight mixture tinged the tiny strands of hair in my nose and drugged the senses in my brain. I felt the flow throughout my veins and wondered if I was absolutely crazy.

Maybe I was, but I could never get over how well my dad made his omelets. They were filling, delicious and something you'd eat whenever. If only he worked as hard on his other dishes.

The thought of making my own breakfast sent a tear rolling down my cheek — in my mind, that is.

I brought my head up and grace lifted his face. "Going to miss my cooking?"

"Just breakfast. Mom does everything else better. No hard feelings, though." I held in a chuckle, almost choking on my food.

His eyes never left my face. "I see I still have to teach you manners and respect."

"After all I've learned from you... I think I'm good." He shook his head, letting out a small laugh.

We finished up our food slowly and I went upstairs and retrieved my packed luggage. I came down to see my dad grinning from ear to ear. His excitement couldn't be any higher than my mom's. Sadly, for him, he wouldn't drive me anywhere from now. Sine a few months ago, I went for my G2 and my car was gift for my birthday back in June.

Safe to say... I haven't killed myself or anyone yet.

"I won't be able to steer away the boys now that you're driving yourself places. That's such a shame," he said.

"Yeah, for you. I can't be daddy's little man anymore."

"Did Miranda tell you that? No, wait, of course she did..." as he scratched the back of his head, he laughed.

He then brought me in his arms, kissed my forehead and wished me farewell on a new page in my life. But it wasn't like I'd be gone forever and my dad would certainly keep me as his little man until I died — I'd be back for the weekends.

Family meant a lot and I'd do whatever to keep the connections we have. We stuck by each other through thick, thin and my dad's cooking.

The morning sky rejuvenated what little life I had earlier on, the air cool and fresh and the roads particularly clear for some reason. One thing about Clarence I nitpicked were the roads. Arizona got me hooked on rush hours every hour and road rage. To find the streets clear of all that gave me the serenity my music had always achieved.