COLBY - YOUR EYES ARE BLUE

Soulmate AU
The world is in black and white until you touch your soulmate for the first time. Then, everything's in color.

MY FRIEND Tara convinced me to go to a party with her. She'd met her soulmate two weeks ago and has been hanging out with him non-stop.

Tara told me all about how Jake held her hand and colors exploded all around for the both of them.

I was happy for her—of course I was, she's my best friend. But I couldn't help but feel jealous. She was only nineteen and had already found her soulmate. Most people get their colors by twenty-two. I was twenty-three and still, no soulmate.

We arrived at the party and were instantly surrounded by drunk people.

"Let's get some drinks," Tara suggested. "Keep an eye out for Jake."

Tara pulled me along through the crowd and toward the kitchen. I looked around for Jake's white hair, but ran short. Tara filled up two red Solo cups from the keg and we went out to the backyard.

"They have a hot tub and a pool?" I gawked."

Tara smirked, leading me over to a group of boys sitting on the trampoline. There were already six of them up there, but none seemed to care about it possibly breaking.

"Hey," Jake smiled, leaning over to give Tara a kiss.

"Guys, this is Y/N," Tara introduced me to the boys. "Corey, Brennen, Sam, Colby, and Kevin." She pointed to each of them.

Colby immediately caught my eye. Tara smirked at me, knowing exactly what I was thinking; She knew I'd find him attractive.

Tara and I both climbed into the trampoline. I was unbalanced and fell into Corey, but he just laughed and helped me sit up.

Everyone talked while I mostly stayed quiet, only answering little questions Kevin asked me. Things I learned from that hour on the trampoline—Corey is absolutely hilarious, I could listen to Colby laugh all day, and Sam messes around with rituals at 3AM for whatever reason.

Colby had left the trampoline twenty minutes ago to get more to drink, but hadn't come back.

"I'm going to check out the pool," I told Tara.

She knew "check out the pool," meant "I feel extremely out of place and I'm bored."

I walked over to the pool and rolled up my pant legs. I took my phone out of my pocket and set it on the tile next to me as I put my feet into the water.

"You okay?"

I jumped and slipped into the pool.

"I'm so sorry," Colby laughed. "I didn't mean to scare you."

He came around to the staircase where I was climbing out and offered me his hand. I smiled and took it.

My vision was then painted in all sorts of colors, no longer just shades of black and white.

Colby and I both stared at each other.

"Your eyes are blue," I said breathless.

"And yours are Y/E/C."

"Wait, this means..."

Colby nodded. "Holy shit." He took my hand and we rushed over to the group still sitting on the trampoline.

"Guys, we just got our colors," Colby blurted.

"To each other?" Jake questioned.

I nodded frantically.

"Congratulations!" Everyone exclaimed.

"What does this mean for us?" I asked Colby quietly.

He smiled. "Y/N, will you go on a date with me?"

I grinned right back. "I'd love to."