C h a p t e r - 28

[Edited] Chapter 28: The Thing With The Truth!

Nova:

"Ma... Max... Max was my..." I whisper, softly.

Scott looks at me curiously, his fist clenched as if he was ready to murder somebody.

I rest my head on his shoulder, my hand clutching on the front of his T-shirt tightly, as if he'll leave me if I let go.

I whisper softly, "Before I tell you who Max is... I have to tell you all about Brandon."

I feel him looking down, at my head on his shoulder, and his hand around my waist tightens and he forces a deep breath out.

"Wasn't he your stupid ex-boyfriend?" He grits out.

I nod.

"What about him?" He asks through an exhale.

I begin my story, "When I was 18, I went to see Nina at her dorm one day. She was a year older than me and lately she was distancing herself from all of us. Whenever we saw her, she was always looked sad or depressed. So I went to see her, to surprise her, wanting to cheer her up, from whatever problems she was facing."

I swallow audibly.

Noticing my discomfort, Scott runs his fingers through my hair in a soothing way and softly kisses my forehead. I lean into him, taking in the comfort he was providing with his small touches.

I love this guy.

I continue, whispering, "I made her, get rid of her day-old pajamas and pulled her out to a nearby Starbucks. I knew she didn't wanted to leave her room, but she... she couldn't say no to me. I was acting like a five-year old who couldn't get her way and forced her to get out of the room. I wish... I wish I hadn't done that! I wish I would've listened to her!" I whimper.

Scott looks down at me and kisses both of my cheeks and tucks my hair behind my ears. "It's okay, sweetheart. You did what you thought might cheer Nina up! Whatever happened later is not your fault."

I close my eyes and nod at him, slowly.

He smiles and kisses my forehead, lovingly.

I take a deep breath and rest my head back on his shoulder.

"While I was in the queue to order our drinks, I saw her talking to a guy. From her expression, I could see the anger pouring out of her as if she wanted to slap him. I've never seen Nina so angry. But she controlled it. I knew she would never create a big scene... she wasn't an attention seeker. When I returned back to her with our drinks, she told me go ahead and give her a minute as she was still talking to that guy."

I exhale slowly and smile softly at my foolishness, "I thought that guy was cute, you know. I never had a boyfriend before because my parents were kinda overprotective since you know... they were billionaires. And if my brother, Nate saw any guy flirting with me, he would have broken his arms and landed him in the hospital." I smile, remembering Nate's face.