Chapter 10: I Believe I Can Fly

Utah teleports to New York City. Maryland, Texas, New York, and California are standing in the middle of Park Avenue near the MetLife Building. Louisiana is nowhere to be seen. There is no one in the street, in fact the whole city looks empty. Louisiana appears with a group at the same time that Utah lands by them.

"Is everyone cleared out?" Utah asks.

Maryland jumps, "Holy shit when did you get there?"

"Just now."

"Nice wings."

"Uh, thanks."

"They're not out of the city but I get everyone in a few buildings and put a spell on those buildings, nothing will be able to damage them and no one will be able to get in or out." Louie explains.

"Good, no civilians get hurt and we're good." Utah says, "Let's spread out, cover more ground."

"How am I supposed to get to the top of the MetLife Building?" Maryland asks.

"Teleport." Utah says with a matter-of-fact tone.

"But I wanna fly."

"Fine." Utah grabs Maryland by his quiver and flies up.

Maryland extends his arms, "I believe I can fly!"

Utah rolls his eyes then drops Mary on the top of the building.

Maryland looks out over New York City. It's all empty except for them, it's strange to see such a huge city completely vacant.

Utah is flying around the city to see if they missed anyone. New York is standing on a building across the street from Maryland. California standing in the street, his arms engulfed in flames. Louisiana is standing on a spell disk, floating in midair, he's also holding a spell disk in each hand. Texas is somewhere but Maryland can't see him.

~~~

Louisiana looks over to his shoulder. "Don't fall."

"I ain't gonna fall." Texas replies, he is shrunken down and sitting on Louie's shoulder. "Hey, Louie?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry."

"For what? Dropping me from 20 feet in the air when we were kids or for punching me when you walked out the door after your falling out with dad?"

"Both, I guess. I forgot that I dropped you that one time."

"Did you do it on purpose?"

"No. I did it to Florida on purpose but not you."

"Why Florida?" Louie asks.

"He's annoying."

"Yeah, he is but he's my best friend and my-our brother."

"So I'm still part of the family?"

"You were never not part of the family. Families have their fights that don't mean that they're not family anymore."

"How are you so wise and yet so stupid?"

"What can I say? Like father, like son."

"Did you just call dad stupid?"

"Look I ain't saying that he's dumb I'm saying that he'll tell me something that is really wise and important about something thing I'll ask more about whatever we're talking about and he don't know anything anymore. He's like an old man with dementia. I sometimes I feel like he knows more that he lets on."

"He does. He's always been like that, he knows a lot. He just doesn't tell you." New York says.

"Have you been eavesdropping on our conversation?" Louisiana asks and looks up at New York.

"No, just because I can hear your conversation doesn't mean I'm eavesdropping." New York responds.

"How can you even hear us?"

"I have enhanced hearing and you're loud."

"That's fair."

Utah glides in and hovers beside Louie. "We have incoming."