Chapter XXXV: Liars And Cheaters

DANTE

After all of the information Chase just dumped on me, I felt compelled to get to the bottom of this mess. Nothing seems to make sense. Hell, my past actions didn't make sense. Who gets kidnapped and let's their kidnapper perform all types of intimate acts on them?

Who stupidly gets snatched up by facilitators of crime not once, but twice? This girl here.

Obviously, Angel seems to have known me before this whole ordeal. Did I see him somewhere before? If I did, I can't seem to recall. It's highly unlikely that one could forget a face like his.

I pondered this thought.

Aside from my first time seeing him at the law firm, I've never seen him anywhere before. This I was most certain of.

This was something I would have to ask Angel about when he gets here. All this time, all the things I've endured while under his eye he has to answer me. He owes me that much.

" Chase, when do you think Angel will be here?" I asked him. Me and him had decided to entertain ourselves with a game of uno to pass the time. I was waiting for him to put his card down, seeing as though he was close to losing.

" Who knows? That guy tells no one his plans and he's unpredictable." He simply answered me, letting out a puff of a breath as he folded the last game. He threw his remaining three cards onto the island and abruptly got up from the chair.

"You win." He said dejectedly. I let out a sigh and gently sat my last two cards on the countertop. My previous thoughts continued to occupy my mind, as I was slowly beginning to drift off into a daze.

" I'm only keeping you company until my brother returns. It's bad enough that he leaves you alone so often, I can't even imagine being here with no line of communication whatsoever!" He said to me as he walked over to the counter and leaned against it.

" Thank you." I softly thanked him, and looked down to my hands to see that I had been nervously pulling at my fingers. I was beginning to feel like I was losing a piece of myself everyday since I encountered these people. I became someone who grew accustomed to Angels harsh love, if he even loves me. I have been beaten, rather badly, and I feel like my heart is deeply wounded.

I never got the chance to properly mourn my father, who died too soon. I never got to stand on my own two feet with no one else's help. I've just been forced to do things. Sit there, shut up, and take it. That seemed to be the cycle my life was currently revolving around. I am to blame for my past decisions. I was loud, foolish, and ignorant. There was a time to shut up and there was a time to speak. I chose the wrong thing every time. Speak when it wasn't necessary and quiet when I needed to speak.

This life I was currently living, it wasn't a happy one.

• • •

ANGEL

Intrigued by her outburst, I slowly turned to meet her gaze. There she was on the ground groveling at my feet, it disgusted me to look at her for too long and yet seeing her in that position did not satisfy me one bit.

I noticed my brothers sharing a look to each other, the both of them uncertain in the idea of staying longer than necessary. I felt exactly as they did, but I was curious to hear what she believed she could tell me about Dante. There was nothing I didn't know about her already, but who knows? Maybe there was something I missed.

" Isabella, if I were you I would be very careful of what you say. I was never one too fond of liars." I told her straightforwardly as I looked down at her with glowering eyes. I could visibly see her gulp and there was something about seeing her so afraid of her own seed that satisfied me in a way that was unbecoming.