CHAPTER XL: Angel's Lament

ANGEL

I threw the sunglasses from my face as soon as I got in the car. Angry, and frustrated I repeatedly smacked the steering wheel.

This was not a part of the plan. Her choosing Donnie over me was a rearward attack I did not see coming.

Was this basically the end? There isn't anything else I could do to persuade her otherwise. It was like she was gone from me, she saw through the bullshit and wasn't willing to forgive me.

Something had to be done. She was mine. Not Donnie's. I found her, I watched her, I was the one she thought about all those nights she was alone.

It was me who she wanted to see after being captured and tortured. She yearned for my body and my lips to be on hers. Not him.

Should I kill him?

I dug for the gun in the glovebox. I had always felt a certain type of adrenaline when I held that cold steel in my hands. This time, I felt the blood rushing to my heart.

Should I kill them both, finally?

I sat in the silence of my car for a while, the engine hadn't been started and I was just sitting in the cold.

Sighing, the animosity in my heart dissipated. And I relaxed into the car seat. All this time my main goal was to make that girl suffer. Then kill her brutally. Somewhere down the line, I had forgotten that objective.

I began developing...feelings for her. Feelings of lust, a deep desire for that women. I won't say I was caring toward her...but I won't deny that I had treated her with care.

Most times.

Sighing yet again, I contemplated running back into that house and forcefully taking her. I wanted to throw her over my shoulder, carry her to this car and drive off. What was so wrong with that?

My phone began to vibrate, the ringtone shortly followed after. I pulled it from my jacket pocket, and looked at the caller ID.

It was Vito.

I exhaled heavily from my nose and bit into my lip. I wasn't hesitant to answer the phone. I was afraid of talking to him and being overcome by the need to go and snatch Dante up. Was there a point in forcing her to go with me?

I was in turmoil.

Lifting the phone up to my ear, I answered his call.

Roughly, I asked him, " what?"

" Where are you?" He asked me. I leaned back into the seat and looked out the window to glance upon Donnie's house.

" Does it matter?"  I asked him, starting up the engine and switching the gear to drive.

He sighed, and I could hear rustling in the background.

" We have a problem. Wherever the fuck you are, you need to get here!" He sighed into the phone, barking orders at me before abruptly ending the call.

When did everyone else become boss?

I thought lastly before speeding off onto the road.

DANTE

I heaved and heaved in big breaths. Donnie still stood beside me, he himself had been gasping for air. I took a seat, placing my head and my hands and resting my elbows on my lap. That could have been a lot worse.

Calming myself down by regulating my breathing, I noticed Donnie was still standing. It seemed the adrenaline was still pumping for him.