Chapter 11- Rotten

Erin Pierpoint

"So Avarado, lay it on us.." I said as i hopped onto the ledge of the old bell tower. It was safe to talk here. There was no cameras or mics recording us.

Trust.. we would have been confronted if there were....

"I don't know. It just seems to hard to believe you know?" Kyla said as she looked at me. I nodded for her to continue. She hopped onto the other side of the ledge and put her feet up. She let out a breath and looked onto the Groves rivene. I looked over to Stephan who pulled up a weight and sat on it. He looked at me with concern and shifted his focus onto Kyla.

Stephan cared for Kyla like she was his little sister. Like the cure for fighting off the monsters under your bed. Anyone could see that that was him...

Cade looked at Kyla, reading her every part. He looked completely entranced in her.

Shit, Avarado.... you got him wrapped around your finger....

"Think about it... It's been how long since the outbreak. They have had time to figure this shit out. Suddenly out of the blue , after years of underground construction and planning and readjusting 49 different underground quarantine sectors he finally wants us to join him and the rest of society..." She said analysing the Grove.

She made some good points. Somethings off...

"I read the sheets the people were signing. They were trial papers. For people to sign up for testing and go back up. He looked to happy E. I mean how would you feel if millions upon millions of dollars were washed down the drain. The doctor looked a little too nervous to be here." Kyla said and ran a hand through the back of her hair.

"So you think it's fake?" Stephan spoke up. I looked at him. He looked like he was starting to put pieces together. Kyla looked at him with a knowing look.

Kyla had always been able to understand the layers of people and their schemes. I guess it goes hand and hand with the whole distant shit and reading fucking every second of your life.

"I do think they found something but i doubt its a cure. I think its something thats big. I just don't know what that is..." Kyla said as she put a hand and rubbed her eyes.

"Well, i don't think we will have to wait long to figure that shit out.." I said as i threw a rock down the belltower and watched it land on the cobblestone.

When i thought life couldn't get any worse....

                   .....A few hours later.....

I walked down the street with Stephan with a take out bag of Italian food. We were silent most of the trip. We didn't take our bikes cause it was just right around the corner. We had spent the last few hours trying to figure out what the fucker with the medals was planning and trying to see if Kyla was fucked by putting her name in the trials.

"You okay kid?" Stephan pulled me out of my memory. I looked at him and shrugged.

"I don't know... i'm worried about the bitch who thought writing her name in the trial section." I grumbled causing him to laugh a bit. My mouth lifted up a bit and i hit his shoulder.

"She's going to be okay, she doesn't do shit for no reason Erin. You know that and besides, it's not like she's just going to vanish because she wrote her name on a disposable slip of paper." He said with a small chuckle.

He was right. It's not like we would let her anyway.

We went into the ally-way and walked up to the door. I was about to agree with him when he slapped my mouth shut with his hand. HE grabbed me and shoved us both behind the dumpster. I mumbled something but he mouthed a quick quiet. It was getting darker so i couldn't see anything cause of the shadows but then i heard it.