Part 22 - I never had a chance

Enjoy! This is not the end! This book will have a happy ending! There is swearing in this chapter.

The holidays with my family are simple. No big gifts, order pizza, have ice cream and sleep. It's only the three Ukai's it's the first time we've had a guest/

"I remember you from that one weekend. So you are the one dating my grand-daughter." Gramps looks sternly at Ryu. Ryu, to say the least has been distant. It has somethin g to do with Kiyoko I know it. 

"Yes sir." Ryu says. He doesn't look nervous - he would be nervous another day this would happen. 

"Let's open gifts!" Onii-chan calls out and we all go to the couch. We hand out presents. I was the  only one who gave Ryu s gift. Big brother said he doesn't wanna play favourites for members of the club.

I open the one from Gramps and smile. 

"Thank you for the sweater Gramps!" I smile happily throwing the f/c (fav colour) sweater over my shirt.

I then open the one from big brother.

"Thank you for the stuffy!" I squeal as I hug the stuffed octopus in my arms.

Big brother and Gramps thank me for their gift. I got mo brother a new sweat shirt and Gramps a new novel.

Ryu hands me his gift and I smile in thanks.

It's a small box. I unwrap it and open the box and there's a box of F/D.

"Oooo I'm gonna drink so much of this in one sitting!" I laugh and Ryu smiles. I look in the box again and see a tinier box. Inside it is a little heart necklace. It's not tacky its plain and simple.

"Thank you Ryu I really love it." I smile softly before pushing my gift into his hands quickly.

He opens the gift and smiles sadly. To anyone else it would look like a normal smile but this one his different.

"Do you like it?" I ask hopefully. I gifted him a picture of us framed. The picture was taken by Suga the day we beat Seijoh. In the picture Ryu is carrying me on his shoulders in his uniform and running over the stadium.

"I love it." that's a lie Ryu. I can tell.

================================================================================

New Year's Eve past. It's now the first day of the new year and what better way to spend it then going on a quick jog. 

I change into my running gear and walk out of the house and start my run. 

"Kageyama?" I ask as I near a him on my jog.

"Oh hey Y/N." Kageyama says.  I didn't expect to bump into him this morning.

"Let's just run together." I say as we continue running. We find ourselves at Karasuno and decide to do a lap around the perimeter of the school before we continue.

We run until we reach the back of the gym for a short water break.

"Ya I think I still like Kiyoko Noya. I lied when I told Y/N I was sure. I just wanted to make Kiyoko jealous. I liked Y//N a bit but then I started actually really liking her and now I really like her." I hear. It's Ryu and Kageyama knows it too. He glances at my dumbfounded face apologetically. I new it. I take a deep breath and turn the corner quietly so Ryu couldn't hear.

"I don't know what to do. I still like Y/N but Kiyoko is-" 

"You don't need to pick Tanaka" I spit out. My sentence lace with venom. Noya, Kageyama and Tanaka look at me shocked. I've never sound so sad and angry. Noya and Tanaka are sitting on the bench talking. I can't believe he lied to me.

"Y-Y/N. What are you talking about?" Tanaka says quickly standing up from his seat.

"Shit." I sigh. "Are you seriously gonna play dumb!?" I raise my voice. "You got together because you wanted to make Kiyoko jealous! You lied to me." I cry and look at him.

"Well I didn't go flirting with guys while I am in a relationship!" Tanaka says back. In the corner of my eye I see Kageyama and Noya's eyes go wide.

"When did I flirt with another guy!? Who did I flirt with?!" I shout back. 

"Let's see. Nekoma's captain, Seijoh's captain, Seijohs ace!" Tanaka says it like it's obvious. "How do I compete with them!?" 

I look at him with hurt eyes. I knew it was too good to be true.

"How can I compete with Kiyoko?" I shout back. "The people you just listed are my friends Tanaka! I never flirted or thought about flirting with any of them! I always had to compete with Kiyoko for you. Kiyoko is a close friend of mine too! You never competed with anyone!"

"Sure I didn't." He scoffs and I feel more tears roll down my face as I roll my eyes.

"That's besides the point, that's not why this argument started." I say lowering my voice to a softer tone.

"How did we get so bad? I never had a chance did I?" I ask him quietly and he looks at me without answering.

"Answer me Tanaka!" I cry again more tears leaving my eyes he still doesn't. "We're done Tanaka." I whisper.

"W-what?" He whispers back as tears begin leaving his eyes.

"I-I said it's done. I'm breaking up with you." I say again.

"What are you guys doing here we just wanted to go for a walk and we hear all of this yelling. What happened?" I turn around and see Suga, Asahi and Daichi. I quickly wipe my eyes and shake my head.

"N-nothing. It's just Tanaka and I are no longer dating." I smile sadly at them. I turn back to Tanaka and walk up to him. I unzip my sweater to the neckline of my new sweater and feel around my neck. I unlatch the necklace he gave me on Christmas and let out a sob before reaching out my hand to give it back to him.

"N-no don't do that Y/N. Please." Tanaka pleads and we both cry harder. 

"I-I can't. I'm s-so a-angry with y-you." I sob again dropping the necklace at his feet.

"Happy New Year." I say to the third years Noya and Kageyama. "I'm going to head home now." I cry and rush out of their sight. 

================================================================================

"Y/N? Why are you crying?" Keishin-nii asks worriedly as I enter our home.

"Tanaka and I broke up." I sob. Keishin-nii's eyes widen before he rushes up o me and gives me a hug. "I don't no how it went so bad so quickly I-I"

"It's gonna be ok  Y/N. I'm here." Big brother soothes as he rocks me back and forth. 

I knew it was too good to be true. It took us so long to get together and a 3 minute argument to break us up. A 6 month relationship down the drain in 3 minutes.

I'm sorry for the sad chapter!