Chapter 12.A Long Awaited Reunion

Subaru continued his morning in the past, as they attempted to eat some peas, even though no one in the family even liked them.

"So Mom, why on Earth would you cook us peas if not a single one of us likes them?"

"Wellllll, I thought that maybe if we ate a bunch of them, we'd begin to like them...or something like that."

Kenichi and Subaru could only sigh at the clueless woman standing before them.

The morning went on as Subaru felt something in the pit of his chest, when his father left to work and he was alone with his mother. He gazed at Naoko, who seemed to have sad pleading eyes with him. Subaru felt guilt, soul crushing guilt for making his mother look at him like that. Subaru could only head back to his room.

He was going to skip school again.

He could only stare at his clock, as it ticked away.

"Once it hits 8, I'll be late and there'll be no point in going..."

Subaru continued laying down on his bed, but the searing pain in his chest chest continued. Then voices he knew reached out to him.

"-baru-kun."

"Subaru."

"Barusu."

"Annoyance, I suppose."

"...Subaru."

Subaru got out of bed and decided to venture out into the city. He walked around and saw places he could remember from his past. The park, the local restaurants and of course the convenience store he was too familiar with. 

Then, he met up with his father when he was heading back home.

"Hey son!"

"Hey Dad."

The two walked back home together as they began having a conversation. Kenichi eventually got curious about his son's personal life.

"So, is there a girl you like?"

Subaru got quite red faced, but relented as he spoke about it.

"Well I...I have someone I like."

A silver brightness, was leading Natsuki Subaru by the hand 

"And there's also, someone who told me they loved me, even in spite of what I am."

A warm, sky blue radiance, was tenderly pushing on Natsuki Subaru's back.

"What about friends?"

"Yeah, I got quite a few...including my new best friend."

"That's good to hear, I was always you'd end up as a loner surrounded by cats in his later years."

"It's not comforting to hear that at all!"

As Kenichi played around with Subaru, it finally hit him...the moment he had been summoned to the Parallel World, where his two new stars existed, where his new friends hailed from...he could never return. 

His two parents would never know where their beloved son went, it was just the two of them and he had brought a new pain he could never remedy.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...Forgive me...Please."

"Subaru?"

"Despite all of that, I...I can't repay you for anything...I will, never see you again...I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry!"

Kenichi hugged his weeping son, whose tears never stopped falling, which made him have a tender smile on his face.

"Geez, you can still be a pain in the ass son you know..."