Chapter 11. The Sanctuary

On their way to the Sanctuary Subaru, Emilia, and Hikaru were sitting inside the carriage while Otto and Rem were driving. Things were going alright until Otto called out to the group.

"Excuse me! We're in the forest!"

"The Lost Forest of Clemaldy. From what Frederica told me and Subaru, it's some kind of special barrier that protects the Sanctuary. It makes outsiders lose their way, to prevent them from getting close. That's why they call it the Lost Woods. Better keep my guard up. And you might need to come out just in case alright?"

"Yeah, for some reason I have a very bad feeling about this place. It's almost as if someone planned all of this, just make sure to keep your guard up Hikaru."

"Yeah, you got it."

"So the Sanctuary is just ahead...Hm? Emilia-tan are you nervous?"

"Huh? How could you tell?"

"I know everything about! At least, that's what I'd like to say, but anyone could tell."

"Yeah I got to agree with Subaru on that one Emilia, your hands were shaking too."

"You're right! I'm sorry for worrying both of you. When I think that we're about to arrive at the Sanctuary, a village where only demihumans live..."

"No, I should apologize. I wasn't thinking that far ahead. I guess there might be more half-elves like you out there, huh?"

"I've never seen any half-elves other than myself. But just maybe, in the  Sanctuary..."

"Don't worry I'll-"

"Emilia!"

Both Subaru and Hikaru yelled as the stone that Frederica gave them on Emilia's chest started to glow.

"Uh...Is this..."

"I suddenly have a really bad feeling! I'm borrowing this Emilia!"

"Wait Subaru! Don't!"

Subaru grabbed the necklace and opened the window to throw it out but before he could they both heard a loud thud that came from a now unconscious Emilia.

"Emilia!"

Subaru quickly looked at the stone more  as it sent him to a place in the forest. The last thing he heard was Hikaru screaming his name.

"Where...am I?"

Subaru looked around as he heard some movements behind him and he saw a little girl wearing a white coat and has pink hair on her.

"Who are you? Those ears...Are you an Elf?"

As soon as Subaru asked this, the started to run away.

"No, wait! Wait a minute!"

Subaru yelled as he chased the girl further into the forest. Until he ran outside the woods where he found a temple in the open.

"Hey! is anyone here? If this is the Sanctuary, somebody answer me!"

As Subaru entered the temple, he felt something. As he slowly enters the tunnel even if it was dark by just touching the walls. Subaru kept walking until he heard a feminine voice call out to him.

"I see. So that is the root of your desire? How very interesting."

Before Subaru knew it he as teleported to a green field where no trees can be found, but only a huge umbrella and a table under it with a white haired woman with a black dress.

"Oh, did I startle you? It has been quite sometime since I spoke with anyone so I was perhaps quite too eager. My name is Echidna... Or perhaps you would know me better as The Witch of Greed?"