Chapter Eighteen

Tony and Gibbs yelled in protest, knowing even as they did it wouldn't do any good. Danny was almost in a trance and took no notice of anyone else beside McGee. He was mumbling something into McGee's ear as he poured, but Gibbs couldn't quite make it out. McGee was still shaking, trying desperately to break free.

Niles had stepped in the room to watch the events. He knew, watching this that it wouldn't take long for the team to give him what he wanted. He had never seen Gibbs look so helpless or horrified before.

Tony tore his eyes from Tim to look at Ziva and gauge her progress. Only the smallest movement of her arms told what was happening, but her eyes were as close to frantic as he was sure he would ever see them.

When Ziva saw Tim break down it wrenched her heart but she knew she must stay calm, there would be no time to drop the nail now.

Gibbs' emotion were perfectly split at what he watch unfold before him. The first was a blinding rage, he had never watched one of his agents so ruthlessly treated right in front of him and it was made all the worse knowing the physical and emotional pain Tim had been in prior to this and the fact that he could do nothing to stop it. The second emotion was dismay. If, if they could find a way to get Tim out of this he was going to carry these scars for a long time. Drowning, being waterboarded, so systematically and so many times had destroyed many men. And Gibbs had no doubt that this wasn't the first time for the young man. The reaction from Tim told him that this had happened before and probably many times over the past several days.

A blur to Gibbs' right drew his attention away from his agent for a moment and the faintest stirrings of relief and hope sparked in him.

McGee could feel the water, everywhere. It was all around him swirling. He couldn't breathe; he was immobilized so he couldn't move. He trashed his head hoping to reach the surface but it might have well have been a thousand miles away. The water rushed into his mouth and nose, he tried to claw his way to the surface but couldn't.

He looked around for his friends like he had done so many times. He could see Scarlett, but Brian and Scott were gone. He watched her float farther and farther away. Her big brown eyes pleading at him, she was reaching out her arms to him but he couldn't get to her. It was always the same, he always let her down. She was screaming. Screaming for help. He heard the sound, but this time it seemed different. Someone else was screaming. Maybe it's me.

Something triggered in the back of his mind. He remembered something.

Gibbs.

Gibbs was here, he would pull him out, he would help him find Scarlett and Brian and Scott.

Gibbs won't save you. He had a daughter, he probably blames you for letting the girl die too. He blames you.

He said he didn't.

That's what people feel obligated to say. Gibbs would have been able to save her, but you couldn't.

I know...I deserve this.

With those thoughts, his mind clouding from lack of oxygen and water rushing into his lungs he closed his eyes to die...again. He had died, drowned, many times in the past few days and each time it had been worse and more terrifying than before. Somehow this time it was different. He felt, he knew, this would be the last time.

Danny looked up in surprise at the person moving toward him; he only had time at an attempted swing of the bucket at her head before he was out cold on the ground. Ziva was still cuffed on her left wrist but that didn't stop her from wresting Niles to the ground, freeing herself and cuffing him to the table. She wanted nothing more than beat him to a bloody pulp, but hearing Tim coughing up water and gasp for breath quickly snapped her back to what she needed to do.

She had Gibbs released within seconds.

"Ziva call an ambulance!"

She was already dialing as she began to free Tony.

Gibbs pulled a knife from his ankle to free Tim, speaking in soothing tones. Tim had not calmed down and showed no relief at being out from under the water. Gibbs wasn't sure he had even noticed. He was coughing and sputtering and shivering with cold and fear.

He finally got all the restraints cut and Tim lowered to the ground just as Tony and Ziva knelt beside him and attempted to assess the damage. They didn't think it was possible but Tim looked even more battered when they were able to closely examine him.

Worse still Tim was slipping into hysterics and nothing anyone said would calm him. He was sobbing and gasping for breath in between coughing fits. Gibbs didn't know what kind of internal damage he was suffering, but he knew it was probably best to lay him on the floor until the ambulance arrived. On the other hand paternal instincts were coming close to taking over. He knew emotionally and mentally Tim had probably been more mistreated than physically. The breakdown he was having was proof of that. Tim still had not acknowledged their presence and was crying and mumbling oblivious to anything around him. As much as he worried about hurting him further Gibbs sensed Tim needed to know someone was there who didn't wish him harm, who cared about him. He crossed his fingers that what he was about to do would not cause Tim any more pain or damage.

As gently as he could, doing his best to avoid his major injuries, he gathered Tim into his arms and cradled him against his chest like he were a child. He held him close and began quietly whispering to him.

"Shh Tim. Tim, listen to me."

McGee quieted but was still mumbling incoherently into Gibbs' shoulder.

"You do not have permission to die. You're not drowning anymore. You're gonna be ok, you're safe, no one's going to hurt you. It's going to be ok."

McGee had stopped talking and was trembling as Gibbs continued trying to soothe him.

Tony wished there was something, anything he could do to comfort his friend. McGee was responding to Gibbs and that seemed to be as far as they were going to get for now. He turned his attention to Niles and Larson and assumed the role of Senior Field Agent.

"Ok, the quicker we get these birds to NCIS the quicker we can get to the hospital." He said looking down loathingly at the two men who had tried to destroy his partner. He didn't notice how quiet or pale Ziva was; he did notice that she didn't respond to him or move.

"Ziva" He said looking at her.

This time Gibbs looked up, he had not let go of McGee but he studied Ziva for a moment.

"Ziva?" He said gently.

She nodded and Gibbs continued.

"Take those two", he said barely keeping the snarl out of his voice and he only did that because he didn't want to agitate Tim. "Call his father on the way and give him an update, let Ducky and Abby know too. We're going to Bethesda."

Suddenly the welcome sound of sirens filled the air.

Tim was not longer speaking and Gibbs wasn't sure he was conscious but his breathing sounded more ragged and labored than before.

At least he's breathing. Gibbs thought. Thank God for small mercies.

"Tony help me lay him down."

He began to lower Tim to the floor. As soon as he did though Tim started to whimper and struggle frantically. Gibbs put one hand on his forehead and grasped his hand with the other attempting to still the young man.

"Tim I'm here, I'm not going anywhere. We're going to put you in the ambulance soon ok, everything is going to be fine. I'll be right there with you, I promise. You're safe."

By the time Tony and Ziva wrestled Niles and Larson into the car to go back to NCIS, the ambulance had arrived and readied McGee for transport.

Gibbs climbed into the ambulance and looked back at his two agents. It had been a long time since he had see two more forlorn faces. Tony cleared his throat and stepped forward.

"Keep him safe Boss."

Gibbs nodded as the ambulance door shut.