Chapter Seventeen

Gibbs cursed at the empty interrogation room as he kicked the chair.

Tony's mouth was hanging open.

"How did-?"

"Call security lock down the Navy Yard now! If he's already gone put out a BOLO."

Ziva nodded and disappeared.

"Tony find who was guarding Larson."

Tony ran out the door and nearly ran into the agent they had left behind to watch Larson not long before. He grabbed the man's shoulders.

"Where is he? Why weren't you here? Where did you go?"

"W-what? A-an agent from legal came and said Director Vance had sent him to talk to Larson, he needed legal counsel-"

"Who was it?" Gibbs demanded.

"I'm not sure..."

"Jerry Niles?"

"I-I'm not sure, I only see him around sometimes."

Gibbs headed back in the squad room while Tony continued to grill the hapless agent. Ziva was just finishing up a call. He looked at her and she shook her head.

"He had already gone Gibbs, but I put out the BOLO. I just wish we knew which direction he was going."

Gibbs sat down shaking his head.

"This is unacceptable." Ziva spoke suddenly. "That man cannot be with McGee even one minute longer."

"I know Ziva." He said grimly.

Gibbs' phone rang.

"Yeah, Gibbs"

"Gibbs," Abby said her voice trembling, "the blood on the shirt is McGee's." As she said it she started to cry.

Gibbs sighed. Of all the turns this case could take this was absolutely the worst he could imagine. They had succeeded in capturing his agent's kidnapper only to lose him. There was a very real possibility they were heading back to the hideaway to kill Tim and skip town.

"I'm on my way down Abby." He said as he shut the phone.

"Abby's got something?" Tony asked jogging in.

"She seems to be the only one pulling up answers, I'm going to see if she can pick up anything else."

As they reached the lab Abby flew into Gibbs' arms.

"Gibbs," she begged "please tell me what is going on. I went to interrogation and no one was there and everyone was acting strange-"

"Larson's gone." he said quietly.

"Gone where? Where would he go?"

"He escaped, Abbs. His uncle probably helped him."

"What no, he-he can't, no, no no-"

"Abby, calm down"

"Why are they doing this? What could Jerry Niles have against McGee?"

"I doubt he has anything against him, he's probably just helping his nephew stay out of trouble. Somehow our murder case got tangled up in this. Since the jacket belonged to Niles I would say he killed Carrol and probably Teal then tried to steal the evidence to cover up the fact that he was there. I don't know why he killed them and right now all I really care about is getting McGee away from those two."

Ziva's phone rang.

"David. No we are not still on lockdown they have already left the Navy Yard." she said into the phone.