Chapter Seven

After McGee left, Gibbs went for coffee, Tony and Ziva redouble their efforts to find any suspect they had missed and Abby, in almost a blind rage, worked furiously to try and save something.

She loved Tim she really did, but one of her biggest pet peeves was the mishandling of evidence. And he had done it twice in one week! She knew next week or in two weeks, they would be back to normal but right now she just wanted to be angry.

Gibbs was met at the elevator by Tony.

"Going somewhere DiNozzo?"

"I just wanted to talk to you Boss."

"Yeah?" Gibbs asked taking a sip. "About what?"

"McGee." Tony rushed on before Gibbs could say anything. "Look I know he messed up and Abby was furious, but maybe..."

"Say it."

"I think dismissing him like that was a little harsh." He half closed his eyes bracing himself for the head slap. Gibbs just raised his eyebrows.

"I just...he's been really zoned out on this case. I mean he works hard but doesn't seem to get anywhere. That's not like McGee. He's like magic, he can pull information out of thin air and he is always, always careful with evidence. More so than anyone I know." Again Tony stopped and braced for a head slap or something, but Gibbs looked thoughtful.

"He has been different; I don't know what it is. But that's one of the reasons I sent him home. I will talk to McGee, but evidence is important too, you know that. It..." he paused and considered his words, "might have been a little abrupt, but it needed to be done. Two marines are dead and we have to find their killer."

Tony still looked unconvinced.

"I'll talk to him first thing Monday after everyone has had a chance to cool off over the weekend." Gibbs started to walk to his desk.

"Can I come too Boss?"

"If you want to DiNozzo." He said over his shoulder.

Gibbs went home Sunday night. He needed a break from the office and the smell of sawdust always cleared his head. The case was not going smoothly, they should have had the killer by now but they were nowhere. He shook his head, they needed McGee. Tony had hit the nail on the head when he said McGee pulled information out of thin air. Many times his computer skills and never ending determination to find something, anything, had unearthed the key to a case. He frowned. Was I too harsh? He just couldn't focus, I needed him to focus. The guilty feeling didn't go away, especially when he remembered how devastated McGee had looked. McGee took his mistakes hard, he always had. Tony and I will go talk to him tomorrow try to figure out where his head is and hopefully get everything straightened out. Having successfully reassured himself Gibbs continued the steady sanding of the hull of his newest boat.

It was a peaceful early Monday morning with the stars shining down on the earth. Those stars saw a loan figure stagger out of an abandoned building. He fell and, as quickly as his injured body would allow, got back up and stumbled on.

Finally reaching the payphone on the corner he leaned against it heavily trying to catch his breath. Who could have imagined traveling the distance of a block would be so difficult. Praying there was a quarter in the phone, Tim McGee almost cried with joy when there miraculously was. His shaking hands carefully dialed the number knowing he would not have long and this might be his only chance. It started to ring and he rested his face in his hand careful to avoid the bruised areas. His whole body ached and his head was spinning. McGee was thankful the payphone offered a place to lean.

McGee heard a noise and looked up. His heart dropped and he considered running from the figured headed toward him. Like lightening his mind ran through the options. If he ran might get away but he might not and if he was caught he would never be found. If he stayed he would certainly be caught but if he could get through he might be found before...

Tim didn't really care anymore about what happened to him but he had to warn the team of the danger so he stayed. Staying was difficult. McGee watched him get closer and closer, each step sealing his fate, there would be pain and torture when he was brought back, but he had to get through. He focused on the ringing, it kept ringing. Come on please pick up.He captor was only steps away now. McGee closed his eyes.

He had to get through!

Gibbs heard his phone ring and rolled over. He had fallen asleep working on his boat. There was no clock in the basement and the fact that it was still dark outside gave him no clues either. He groaned as he sat up and attempted to locate his phone. He finally found it and opened it right in the middle of the ring.

"Gibbs and it had better be important." He growled into the phone. Only a clicking sound reached his ears. An uneasy feeling worked its way into his gut as he redialed the number. It rang for several minutes with no answer. He pushed the feeling down and shut the phone. 4:01 am flashed up at him.

He told Tony they would go see McGee first thing in the morning, Gibbs decided to go to work and get some things done before Tony got in an wanted to go.