Chapter Twelve

Tony and Ziva were if possible even more silent on the way back to NCIS than they had been on the way to the payphone. They had left agent searching the neighborhood of mostly abandoned building. There were no traces of Tim yet. They had wanted to keep searching until they found him, but they wanted to get the phone back to Abby to make sure they were even in the right neighborhood at all.

Most of the silence was due to the fact that each agent was lost in their own thoughts about Tim. Tony had known and worked with McGee longer than he had worked with anyone save Gibbs and Abby. He didn't think he could handle losing Tim, his partner, his friend. He had watched McGee grow from a stuttering probie to an agent he trusted with his own life.

Ziva had always been amazed by Tim's temperament and patience. She didn't know how someone of his gentle nature did the job they did, saw what they saw. She respected his skills and knew he was a good investigator. Tim had always treated her with respect and she truly considered him a friend. She took pride in the control she kept of her feelings which is why she had been so surprised at the strong emotional reaction Tim's obvious kidnapping had brought up in her. It was more than fear or anger. It was protectiveness and a dread at what might be happening to him at that moment.

Tony and Ziva dropped the payphone off with Abby.

"Did you find McGee?" she asked eagerly.

"No sign yet, all we have is the phone." Tony grunted as he dropped it on the table. Abby's face dropped for a second, then relit.

"Daddy McGee's here" she announced.

"Really?" Ziva asked surprised. "That was certainly fast."

"Huh? Oh Gibbs didn't call him. Right after you guys left he called Tim's phone and we answered. He's upstairs talking to Bossman now. I'm going to go see him."

"Shouldn't you start running the phone?" Tony asked

"Yes, that's where you come in. I'll start working and when he comes down with Gibbs you call me. "

"Abby-"

"Promise?"

Tony sighed.

"I promise"

Ziva smiled at how easily the boys always gave in to Abby

Abby continued.

"Plus I have information Gibbs needs to hear, so when we come back down here I can get started."

"Abby," Ziva started cautiously. "You seem very calm."

"I have to stay strong for Timmy." She said matter-of-factly. Her lip trembled for a moment. "He needs me at the top of my game. Now go and don't forget to call me."

Tony and Ziva headed to the squad room to start working. It wasn't long before they heard voices and looked up to see Gibbs and Ducky heading their way with a man who looked very familiar.

Ziva almost did a double take. This has to be McGee's father, the resemblance was uncanny. She caught Tony's eye just as he got off the phone with Abby to tell her the time had arrived.

The trio stopped and Tony felt a pang of sympathy for McGee's father. He looked exhausted and worried. He was not surprised to find traces of anger in his eyes as well.

He decided to make a better first impression with the elder McGee than he had made with his son. Tony got up and stuck out his hand.

"Commander McGee? I'm Tony DiNozzo, Tim and I work together. I'm...so sorry this happened."

Ziva was right behind him.

"Ziva David. I am sorry to meet you this way."

Sean shook both their hands and nodded.