Chapter Six

Friday

Tim woke slowly and wondered where he was, it was still dark outside. My car, I fell asleep in my car. He moved slightly and immediately began to regret that decision. He was sore all over. Sleeping in a car will do that Tim. At least I got to sleep. He checked his watch. It was 6am. He stretched some more in an attempt to relieve the soreness. Might as well go up to the office and start working.

Slowly the team began to filter in beginning with Gibbs, then Ziva and finally Tony. Everyone was working peacefully until Abby came charging in. She slammed her hands on McGee's desk making him jump.

"Did you move the surveillance tape last night?" She asked anger flashing in her eyes.

"Ye-yes"

"And the computer?"

"I-I worked on it last night and-and took it to evidence lockup when I was d-done." He stammered surprised to see her so angry.

"You put them on the crate containing the magnet from Carson's case." She said stabbing a finger from him.

McGee's jaw dropped open. Carson's team had confiscated a large powerful magnet from a sting operation months ago.

"No, no, no, there was no room on the shelf. I didn't even think to look..." McGee trailed off his mind quickly processing all the implications.

"Abby," Ziva urgently "what does that mean?"

"It means they're wiped clean." She said throwing her hands in the air.

"All of it?" Gibbs asked quietly.

"Magnets erase hard drives Gibbs. This was a powerful magnet; it erased everything on the computer and corrupted the video."

"Abby go back to your lab and salvage what you can."

"Gibbs there's nothing-"

"Now", he said softly, dangerously.

She left in a huff not even looking at McGee as she passed, not that it would have mattered he was looking at the ground, too mortified to even look at anyone. He sat in the uncomfortable silence while Gibbs seemed to make up his mind.

"Get out I don't want to see you again until we're done with this case."

McGee's shoulders slumped and he wished he could drop into a hole. He had just messed up a second case in roughly a one week. He was seriously off his game and he couldn't blame Gibbs for being furious. He was knew Abby wanted to kill him, and that was still over the last mistake.

"Wh-where do you want me to go?" McGee stammered.

"Go home before you mess up again." Gibbs snapped without looking up.

McGee didn't move he was too shocked. Gibbs looked up and stared at him. "Are you waiting for an escort out McGee?"

"No-no boss. " Since he was already in this deep he may as well ask. "Can I come back Monday?"

"Someone will let you know when the case is over and you can set foot in this office again."

Tim winced, if they let him back was what it sounded like. He had no choice though; he started to gather his things. He risked a look at Tony and Ziva. Tony was careful not to look at him. Ziva glanced up, but her face was so full of fury he wished he hadn't seen it at all. He walked to the elevator and pushed the button.

McGee got home and just stood in the doorway. He could see the blinking of his answering machine, but couldn't bear to listen to any more proof of his failure. He sat down at his computer his mind whirling.

What happened? I should have looked, Im always careful with evidence. This case is throwing me off. What about last Friday when you lost evidence, what was your excuse then? What is happening to me?

He couldn't concentrate couldn't even think.

I wanted to help people. Because of me a murderer is going to get away.

That very thought devastated him and he dropped his head in his hands. He sat like that for hours before he decided what he needed to do. He slowly sat up and walked to his typewriter and pulled out several sheets of paper.

He typed until he was drained, physically and emotionally. He knew it needed to be done, but it broke his heart. Everything he loved and had worked for gone because of carelessness. He finished and sat staring for several hours. He finally decided to go to bed. He doubted he would sleep, but there was nothing else to do now but try.

He lay in bed tossing and turning. Finally his eyes closed from sheer exhaustion. He didn't know how long had passed but he became aware of a noise in his apartment. It took him a moment to realize what was going on, but when he did he stiffened. Someone was breaking in and his gun was in his desk drawer. As quietly as he could he slipped out of his bed. He peaked out the door and didn't see anyone. He frowned. Where did they go? He took a step toward his desk and immediately cursed himself when a figure stepped out from in the shadows of the book case, a gun in hand.

"I told you I would find you McGee. I told you, you would pay for what you did. The innocent blood on your hands. How can you even sleep?" He spoke to McGee with disgust his eyes wild with hate.

McGee let out a breath

"You here for revenge?" McGee asked resignedly

The intruder looked confused then angry. He raised the gun.

"I'm here for justice"

He pulled the hammer back.

McGee dove for the gun.