Chapter 26: Dark Matter Rising

This chapter is going to be about half of the usual length. My first reason is that since it's the first chapter of the Tartaros arc, I should make it a little short. It's to transition everything into the battle with the Nine Demon Gates and to not overwhelm my readers with too many things going on. My second reason is that I have my first semester finals going on (yes, I know, right after Christmas break, it really sucks). I need to focus on my projects and upcoming exams while also not wanting to break my bi-weekly schedule. Enjoy the shorter-than-usual chapter!

In Blue's mind:

Disaster brings peace. Peace brings prosperity. Prosperity brings calm. The calm before the storm. The storm of disaster. Let the opposite of everything do its role. Activate the final three, you are the master of hatred, let it into its final form.

Blue's eyes shot open, and the voice suddenly faded away. What was that? What was that voice? He untangled himself from Violet, sat up, and raised his arms in a stretch. Blue stayed in that position for a few minutes before dropping the stance and he sighed. Violet was still snoozing soundlessly next to him. He noticed a weird feeling on his hands and he nearly gasped when he saw it. Both of them were emitting a weird purplish-black glow. He immediately cut the stream of ethernano from his origin and the mysterious aura soon faded away.

"Is this it? The Darkness of the Water Dragons? Is it finally starting to awaken?" he asked himself.

"You need to be careful Blue," Blue jumped up in shock and saw that Violet had awoken. And from the look on her face, she had seen what happened.

"What the heck, Violet, you nearly gave me a heart attack," Blue breathed out. His sister chuckled.

"Hehe, sorry. But in all seriousness, you need to be cautious of your emotions for the next few weeks. I should've addressed this problem a long time ago, but it completely slipped my mind," she said sternly.

"Then what do you suppose I do?" he asked.

"Keep your feelings under check, mainly negative ones. Until we can find a way to suppress this dark power, at least," she answered.

"Do you have any idea how to 'suppress' my dark power in any shape or form?" Blue questioned. Violet sighed and looked at him sympathetically.

"No, I have absolutely no idea. And I don't think Anna knows either," she admitted. Blue downwards at his lap.

"Is that so?" he muttered. She then pulled him into a deep embrace.

"I'm worried for you little brother. Not only is your life at risk, but so is your humanity and mental state," she said, her voice cracking a little. "We've yet to find a cure for your magical deficiency syndrome. And if you lose yourself to the Dark Matter dragon, you'll never be the same again. I don't want to lose you. I never saw our father again after I was sent away a year after you were born, and the last time I saw our mother was right before we left through the Eclipse Gate. I spent over nine years looking for you after it happened until I finally found you at the Grand Magic Games." Blue listened to her words and felt a pang of sorrow at them. He clutched her body.

"Don't worry, Violet. I've been feeling pretty negative for the past while, nothing serious has happened since Lisanna. Even when Celina died, I didn't give myself to the sorrow, no. Instead, I embraced it and kept moving forward. I'll keep doing that. I won't lose myself to the darkness, I'll embrace it instead," he stated determinedly. Violet felt a wave of unease at his declaration. She hoped with all her might that her intuition would be wrong for once. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. With those words, Blue Corallite had put himself down a path with no turning back.