Chapter 6

Avery's P.O.V.

I'm planning on just staying in the lot for a couple hours. I know Johnny usually stays the night there and is fine, so I think I'll be fine, too. I make my way there without any problems and sit down next to the big tree. I hear someone cough and look to my right to see Johnny coming over.

"I didn't want you to get scared hearing footsteps, so I coughed to let you know it was me," Johnny said, sitting next to me. I smile at him and lean my head on his shoulder. I feel him put his head on mine.

"I wish I knew why Steve can't stand me," I said randomly. Johnny is the perfect guy to talk to. You can trust him with literally everything.

"I think he likes you, just doesn't know how to show it. I remember when we were younger you guys would always talk. Then one day he just started to drift away from you," Johnny stated.

"Yeah...we had a good friendship. I guess I'll never know why he stopped hanging out with me," I said, closing my eyes to rest them.

"I honestly think he digs ya. I mean, a lot of times when a guy and girl are best friends and one of them starts to like the other more than a friend they don't want to, so they start to stay away from them," Johnny explained.

"I dunno, Johnnycakes. Hey, can I tell ya something?" I asked. I felt Johnny nod so I ranted about what happened at the lake and the dream I had about Steve. He just listened, nodding every now and then to let me know he was listening.

"Well, I don't know much about love, but I think you like him. And what happened at the pond...I still think Steve digs ya," Johnny said. I thought about what he said. Do I like Steve? No, there's no way I could like him.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just confused about everything," I stated. "Thanks for this, Johnnycakes. You're the best,"

"Of course, Aves. I'm always here for ya. So is Ponyboy, too. He told me to tell ya if you have any homework questions or anything, he can help ya. I think he just doesn't wanna deal with this kinda stuff," Johnny said, chuckling. I laughed.

"Good ole Horseman," I said, causing the both of us to laugh. We spent the rest of the day and night just talking.

A/n,
Well, there's chapter 6! I decided to get some nice Johnny and Avery chit chat. I love sweet Johnnycakes, I'm gonna try to get him in this story as much as possible, with lots of moments like these. Of course, Avery will have a special moment with all of the characters, but I feel like Johnny wasn't in my other story much. Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed!