A Letter for A Truth

Draco started acting weird and sneaky. He also tried to avoid an encounter with me.

I was in the Great Hall for dinner staring blankly to the distance, food untouched. I remember vividly how last week's dinner went with Draco. It was full of laugh, full of suspicious eyes and glances from other students, even teachers. Now Draco is even nowhere to be found.

I decided to leave to my common room and on the way there someone bumped into me.
Correct. It was him.

He looked at me, anxious and on edge, the quickly brushed past me.

"Whoa, hang on! What's with the attitude, Malfoy?!" I went back to last name basis as I was so offended by what he just did. "Brushed me off like that like I was some stranger? Great! If that's how you want to play it!" I yelled at him. He stopped freezing in his track. Suddenly he turned around when I was so ready to spin around and leave.

"Ugh, wait, please (Y/n), I'm sorry."

"Now you're the one apologizing too much." I said sarcastically.

"Listen to me, (Y/n). I have this task that I have to do. Do you remember I made you promise that if things gow awry, you'll leave?"

I nodded lazily.

"Please, I need you to understand that the time is now. Hogwarts is not safe anymore. " He looked at me intently, holding both my shoulders. Like his life depended on it.

"How can I leave if I don't even know what's going to happen? What would my parents think if I suddenly emerge on their doorstep with my luggage saying, 'Mum, Dad, Draco said Hogwarts isn't safe anymore, so I packed up my bags and left.'"

Just after I said that, my owl came to me bearing a letter. It was from my Mum. Draco was curious but let me finished reading it.

My dear (Y/n),

We need you to come home. As soon as you get this. This isn't something you want to argue about.

Hogwarts is facing some threats. We need you to be safe and home.

Danny misses you too.

Love,
Mum & Dad

"Ughhh", I rested my hands beside me still holding the letter. Sighed as what Draco had previously warned me was right.

"Well? Is it urgent?" he asked.

I handed him the letter. Seconds after,  he pulled me into his embrace.

"This is for the best."

"I guess." Not sure how to react, I kissed him as if saying goodbye. I couldn't help it anymore.

"I love you, (Y/n)."

I was stunned. He said that in the middle of our kiss. Resting our foreheads against each other. Those 3 words and 8 letters clearly made me realised that I was his. Amd he was mine.

"I love you too, Draco Malfoy."

We kissed again, this time I could feel my own tears, cold and stabbing into my cheek. He pulled and wiped them.

"Hey, as soon as this is over, I'll find you. I promise this with my life."

"Shh...enough of the promises. Please just be safe. Do what you have to. But please, I need you to be safe too." I held his face and he kissed my palm.

We hugged for moments later, feeling each other's heart beating fast, with me sobbing tears that probably wouldn't end.

"Goodbye, (Y/n)" he said finally.

"Goodbye, Draco", I said after taking a long breath. Breathing in his scent. That scent that intoxicated me every time he was close to me. And with that I exhaled and pulling myself together to let him go. Or I crumbled.

He stepped back, still holding my hands. Our fingers intertwined. Not willing to let each other go. He finally let go. I saw tears emerging from the corner of his eyes before he turned away. And glided through the corridors, going wherever he was needed. Wiping his tears as he went away.

That stone-cold-heart of his had thawed. But when it had, it was too late.