Convulsion

By radiantbubble

Lily Anderson is an ordinary girl in every way possible... if you exclude the peculiar gem she wears around h... More

♛ ᴄᴏᴠᴇʀ ♛
꧁ ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ ꧂
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ✿
☆ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀ ☆
☆ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪᴠᴇ ☆
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪx ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ ✿
♔ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ ♔
♔ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ ♔
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ ✿
♡ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ ♡
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜰɪꜰᴛᴇᴇɴ ✿
♔ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ ♔
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ ✿
☆ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ ☆
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ✿
♡ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴏɴᴇ ♡
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛᴡᴏ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ✿
♔ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜰᴏᴜʀ ♔
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜰɪᴠᴇ ✿
♡ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜱɪx ♡
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ ✿
✿ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ ✿
꧁ ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ ꧂
♛ ɢʟᴏꜱꜱᴀʀʏ ♛
╚» ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ɴᴏᴛᴇ + ᴅᴇᴅɪᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ «╝
❀ ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴛᴡᴏ ᴘʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ ❀
❀ ʙᴏɴᴜꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ❀
❀ ʙᴏɴᴜꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: ᴄʀᴜᴇʟ ᴋɪɴᴅɴᴇꜱꜱ ❀
❀ ʙᴏɴᴜꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ: ʙɪᴛᴛᴇʀꜱᴡᴇᴇᴛ ❀

☆ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ ☆

136 13 50
By radiantbubble

Steven

I slump against the cold and damp wall, tossing the key in my possession from one hand to the other. There's not much to do now that Gwen has taken Lily away, and we all voted that instead of me using the key to free everyone, we were gonna wait until Ethan comes so we can gain more information. Because of that we've been waiting here for what feels like forever. It's dark. And cold. Since Richard was getting tired, he put out his fire a while ago.

    "Is Ethan here yet?" Brayden whines. 

    "No." Everyone replies to him almost in unison, and I groan. He's been asking ever since Gwen and Lily left.

    "How are you holding up, Amaryllis?" Richard asks. She grunts as a response, and I hear a tiny clatter as she shuffles around, her chains dragging as she walks. She's been pacing for a while; I can sense her movements through the wind. I don't know how she's doing it. She's lucky to be alive after what she's been through. We all are. I... I just wish Celeste had been as lucky as us. I can't believe she's gone. And I can't help but feel that this, all of this, is my fault.

    I stuff the key into my pocket. It's getting too tiring just tossing it back and forth, so I shift from sitting down to lying down. I'm stuck on a filthy bench in a filthy cell cell, stuck in a place where I shouldn't be. I don't want to be in the enemy's hideout as their prisoner, but I am. I close my eyes, trying to listen to Amaryllis and Eric's hushed conversation. I wonder what they're talking about. I wonder how Lily's doing. Gwen can obviously handle herself, but if the Gloaming goes after them, I have no idea what will happen to Lily.

    "Get up! Everybody up!" The Damsel. Brittany's back. It took awhile for her to wake up after Gwen knocked her out, but when she did wake up, she was furious. She yelled at everyone for no reason at all before running away screaming with rage. I wonder what she wants this time. "Get up!" She screeches again, and she sounds like she's gone a bit crazy. I think she's mad too. I smirk to myself as I sit up, studying her through the bars of my cell.

    She's holding a large metal rod in her hand, and she's dragging it along all the cell bars, making them sound like wind chimes gone wrong. Wind chimes as in those tiny metal things on Earth that hang on porches... at least I think that's what they're called. Anyway, it sounds like those things but much worse. I stare at her through the cover of the dark, and even with barely any light I can tell there's a bruise forming on her head from when she fell after she was knocked out.

    "Get up," Brittany repeats, catching me staring. This time she says it quietly, and directly to me, which makes it even scarier. I stand up from my bench, but I don't walk any closer to the door. I'm glad I didn't when Brittany rests the rod on her shoulder, swinging it at my cell with all the force she has. When the ringing sound fades and she pulls the rod away there's a huge dent in one of the bars, and it's jutting weirdly inwards.

    "I'm wishing that was your head," Brittany growls at me. I take a step backwards from her, shocked but not afraid. I could do worse. I've done worse. And she doesn't scare me. From the next cell over I hear Eric whistle.

    "Violent much?" Eric comments.

    "Zip it!" Brittany screams back. She grabs two of the cell bars in her hands, pushing them slowly away from each other. She has the power of pressure, from the Pression Tribe. So she can do really cool things, such as bending metal. She's... really strong. Again, my fault. When we were still friends I taught her many things about the wind, and she's become more skilled with the wind because of it. I trained her, and I regret it all. I couldn't keep her on the right side. She steps into my cell through the gap she's created in my bars, staring at me.

    "Um, hi?" I take another step backward, trying to put space between us.

    "Put your leg on the bench." I do as she says without protest and she sticks a key inside, unlocking it.

    "Thanks." I lift my foot off of the bench, shaking it a few times. When I meet her gaze I feel my face hardening. She's holding a syringe needle in her hand. Instead of calling for the wind I lash out, lunging towards her and aiming for her face with my fist. She dodges me, slipping under my arm and behind my back. That's when I feel a sharp pain in my neck. I jump away as quick as I can, yelling as the needle slips out of my neck when I move away. I place a hand over my neck as I turn back to face Brittany, feeling lightheaded.

    "Thanks," I slur, this time sarcastically as I fall to my knees.

    "You vampire!" Brayden screams from his cell, shaking the bars. I collapse on the ground, the power to control my own limbs now gone.

    "What's a vampire?" Amaryllis calls out. "What's going on?" She screams. I try to reply, but no sound comes. My voice isn't working. My vision fades away as well, everything turning to black. Even with no vision and no sense of the world around me at all, I can still think. I can think. I just can't move. I can still hear. Feel. I can feel when I'm lifted up into the air, floating right above the ground with my hands and feet still dragging across the floor. I can tell it's Brittany who's doing the lifting.

    "Stay away from me, vampire!" Brayden shrills. I hear a loud thump on the ground shortly afterward, so I'm assuming he's been knocked out by the serum too.

    "Careful with my veins," Richard warns. A slap follows his words. Whether it was Richard who slapped Brittany or Brittany who slapped Richard, I can't tell. I only hear another crash as Richard collapses to the ground too. The same process repeats as Brittany forces her way through Eric's cell bars, using gusts of wind to pull Richard, Brayden, and I along behind her. Another thump as Eric falls to the ground, but then I hear Amaryllis.

    "Wait!" She howls. "I'm already passed out enough as it is, can't you take me to a Caregiver or something?" She pleads. There's a pause of silence, but then I hear her wince. "That's messed up," she whispers. Another thump. Brittany drags us all along with her, rock cutting into my skin as we go along. I feel so sluggish in my current state. When is this going to be over? I'm surprised we're still alive, but this could be the end for any one of us. It all depends on whether Ghostclaw gets what he wants or not. I force my mind to go blank, listening to the sounds around me.

    Other than rock against my skin, I start to get wet as well. Are we being dragged through puddles? I've never been in any Gloaming bases before, but I have heard of them. After feeling an especially sharp rock cutting through my skin, I hear the sound of metal scraping against rock. Almost like some sort of door being opened. We stop for a while but then Brittany keeps us moving, and the sound of a river rushing somewhere close fills my ears. I don't know exactly where it is, but I know it's loud. It must be large.

    "Ah, Crimsonfang. I see you've brought the prisoners." Ghostclaw. It's Ghostclaw's voice that reaches my ears. His voice is heavy and intense, all deep and scratchy. We're moving again, and the sound of the metal screeching against rock has stopped. We've passed through the doors, and we're probably headed towards Ghostclaw. Right into the jaws of our enemy. There's a small chance we can still find Ethan. If we do, maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to find our way out of here.

    "Bring them back." After a few seconds pass a sharp pain shoots through my neck, and I grunt, but again, no sound comes out. My back hits the uneven ground beneath me and soon I'm able to open my eyes. Color floods my eyelids and I roll onto my side, trying to get a better grip of my surroundings. We're at the end of a long, rock bridge, and there's a surge of water gushing beneath it. What I heard earlier really was a river, and it looks as if there's a waterfall at one side of this cavern too, but I can't tell. It's pretty dark.

    "Welcome, Guardians." I push myself up from my side to face the voice behind me. Stumbling, I move to my feet, turning to look up at the masked man sitting on the spiky rock throne in front of me. I stagger from side to side for a bit before I clutch Richard's arm, leaning on him for support even though he's scarcely standing on his own. The other Guardians are here too.

    "Am I the only one who doesn't feel so good?" I mumble. I drop back to my hands and knees, crawling to the edge of the bridge before hurling over the side. My head pounds as my insides leave me, and I gag at the terrible taste. I scoot away from the bridge once I'm done, wiping my mouth with the sleeve of my shirt. I can't focus right, and I don't feel as strong as I did before. What's wrong with me? I get back to my feet and stand up as best I can, listening to the sounds of others doing the same thing I just did. I walk over to Amaryllis' side, since it appears she isn't as sick as the rest of us.

    "Strong stomach?" I ask her.

    "I'm not in the mood to talk to you," she whispers but then winces, grabbing her left arm with her right. I glance at Amaryllis but she looks away from me, lifting her chin and turning to see Ghostclaw better. The man hasn't moved from his spot. He's just been tapping the armrests with his fingers. He's wearing the same rough black and gray cloak he was when he showed himself at the Praesidium. It's lined with diamonds. His hood is far enough over his head so that shadow is covering his whole face, so we can't see who he is. I wonder who's behind the cloak.

    I thrust my hand towards his face, drawing the wind towards my hand so that I can shove back Ghostclaw's hood. At first I think it will work but the second I feel the wind drawing near toward my fingertips I double over, an immense pain blooming in my chest. I yell and drop to my knees, the pain spreading through my body until I shut my eyes, groaning through my teeth.

    "I wouldn't try that if I were you," Ghostclaw warns, clicking his tongue. "That serum Crimsonfang inserted in you won't fade away that quickly. I'd say there's about an hour before you can use your pathetic powers again. So don't try it," he growls. "You really think I would wait so long to talk to such esteemed Guardians without knowing they were too weak to fight? You underestimate me." I regain my composure, slowly return to my original standing position. Eric, Brayden, and Richard have finished getting everything out of their systems, and they've come to stand by Amaryllis and I.

    "What do you want, Ghostclaw?" Eric snaps. Ghostclaw groans and heaves an exasperated sigh, leaning forward.

    "How many times do I have to say it? I want the Gem!" He howls in despair, moving to rest his elbows on his knees and placing his chin on the palms of his hands. It takes me a while to notice who's standing at the bottom of the steps of his throne. Brittany is standing to the right, and Miranda is standing to the left. Ethan said there was a girl named Miranda, and this girl matches his descriptions. Wavy black hair, sharp brown eyes. Tall. She's as tall as I am, actually.

    I freeze when I notice her tucking her hair behind her ear. From here I can see the tiny glint of the tiny gray diamond, which glows red in specific light, deep in her skin by the bottom of her ear right where her jawline meets her earlobe. She meets my eye, but then looks away. She has the mark of a member of the Gloaming. She's loyal to them and them only, even though she looks like your everyday person. I scowl, hating the sight of diamonds in skin, no matter what it looks like. The mark of the Gloaming can be anywhere.

    "I want the Gem, and here's the best part. You're going to give it to me." I turn my attention back to Ghostclaw, his yelling about wanting the Terra Firma Gem returning to my memory.

    "Give what to you?" Eric questions innocently, acting as if he didn't hear.

    "The Gem!" Ghostclaw shouts. He jumps to his feet, moving his arms behind his back so that his cape flares out, trailing behind him as he walks down the stairs and glides down towards us. Turns out his face isn't covered in a normal shadow, there's some sort of black mist keeping us from seeing his face as he comes closer. My guess is Shadowshards. When he's only a few feet away from us he pauses, towering over us and gazing at each of us in turn.

    "Who here either has or knows where the Gem is?"

    "Sorry," Eric takes a step closer to Ghostclaw. "Even if I knew, I would never tell you where the Terra Firma Gem is." Amaryllis sucks in a sharp breath beside me. What is Eric thinking? I don't think he's thinking at all. Ghostclaw is the leader of the Gloaming and he thinks this is the time to talk in such ways? What Eric said may be true, but I don't think it was smart to say it to his face. Or maybe it was. It's time we take a stand. We can't just give in to Ghostclaw's demands. We're stronger than this. We're meant to do more than this. We shouldn't be stuck here in the first place.

    "No, no, you shouldn't be sorry. I should be sorry." Ghostclaw sweeps across the rock until he's in front of Eric, staring down at him. They stare at each other until Ghostclaw starts to walk, pushing Eric backward. He keeps walking, and we all swivel around to watch what happens next. Amaryllis steps forward but I grab her arm, pulling her back. She glares at me, but my focus is on Eric. Ghostclaw stops when he's reached the rock ledge, far enough so that he could jump and tumble down into the depths of the water. Too far. Eric moves around Ghostclaw and leaps forward, but Ghostclaw grabs his arm. In horror I watch as black mist moves from his hand around Eric's arm, moving and shifting until it forms the shape of a claw.

    "But I'm not." He slams his fist into Eric's chest, sending him sailing to the side. He disappears and the last I see of him are his wide eyes before he tumbles back and into the river below.

    "No!" Amaryllis wails. She moves forward but I put an arm out in front of her, keeping her from running forward. She yells and tries to fight me but I move my arms to her waist, holding her back as she attempts to escape me. There's nothing we can do. I already know what's done is done. I squeeze my eyes shut as I listen to Eric's screaming, listening to it fade, but they fly open when I hear Ghostclaw laughing.

    "Goodbye!" He shouts giddily, waving at the river as if Eric's standing down there and waving back at him.

    "You're a monster!" Amaryllis shrieks, tears flowing down her cheeks. She's stopped trying to fight me, but now I'm the one fighting. Fighting to hold back the surge of anger and sadness inside of me. This man, Ghostclaw, he's a maniac. He's a murderer. I can only hope Eric is alive and that he survives. There's no way to tell, but he's strong. Still, since Lily came carrying the Terra Firma Gem, already two of our Guardians have fallen.

    "Yes, I am a monster." Ghostclaw examines his nails, as if killing is just an everyday thing for him. As if he doesn't care. He most likely doesn't. "So, who's going to tell me where the Gem is, hm?" He spins towards us, clasping his hands together. We all stare at him silently, Amaryllis sniffling occasionally.

    "Oh, boo hoo." Brittany calls out from her spot by his throne. Ghostclaw moves past us again, striding back up to his throne. Brittany leans across a rock when Ghostclaw sits down, crossing her arms and staring at us. She starts to glare at me, but I stare blankly back.

    "Yes, boo hoo!" Brayden yells at Brittany. I turn to look at him, shocked to see him on his knees. "He just killed Eric! He's a murderer!" His cheeks are red, but I can see violence in his eyes as he stares at Ghostclaw.

    "The Representatives of the Council have killed too, but those deaths seem to go unnoticed. Don't they, Steven?" Brittany snarls. I ignore her statement.

    "It's Steve." I tilt my head up at her, meeting her gaze. She always called me Steve when she was a Guardian. Just how much would it take to get her back? I know she's not completely gone.

    "Alright... Steven." She smirks, tossing her pretty blonde hair behind her shoulder.

    "Stop flirting with the enemy," Miranda mutters, placing a hand on her hip. She turns to raise her eyebrows at Brittany, and I'm surprised when Ghostclaw turns to look at her as well. I'm even more surprised when I realize she's fumbling for an answer. Glancing between the three of them, maybe I can use this to my advantage.

    "I'm not flirting with the enemy," Brittany exclaims.

    "Whatever you say," Miranda responds. She shrugs at Brittany, leaning against a rock and yawning.

    "Aw, don't you still love me?" I tease. Will this distract Ghostclaw at all? And how much will it anger Brittany? "That's why you left, isn't it? Because you loved me so much?"

    "Listen up, bud." She leaps into the air, using the wind to her advantage as she flies over the stone steps in front of the throne to land on the ground right in front of me. "I used to think love was real," she whispers, tracing a hand over my cheek as she stares at me. I stay still, hating the fact that tingles erupt from my skin as her fingers move over my face. "When I left, I wasn't ready to say goodbye. But I'm not the same. And I never will be." She steps away from me, seeming satisfied with her answer as she gazes at me. "It was all just an illusion."

    "So... that's a no?" I ask, trying to act oblivious. I need to hide my real feelings if I want to get out of here. If I want to save Lily. If I want to save our Realm. No matter how much it hurts. If this moment had not been pressured by our situation, my answer would be much different. Her face softens for a moment but the moment passes quickly, and soon she's glaring at me with pure hatred. I look around to see how well my distraction is working, and a bit of hope springs up when I find that everyone is focused on us. Including Ghostclaw.

    "Steven. It's really not that complicated. I-" She's interrupted by the sound of the metal doors at the other end of the bridge, screeching and sliding open. I'll only be able to wonder what she was going to say next. I turn away from Brittany to face the slowly moving doors on the other side of this cave. They're larger and they seem heavy, but I hope it's Ethan who will be walking through them. Maybe he can... my mind drifts when the doors open wide enough to reveal what's behind them. No. What...? Gwen. Gwen is here.

    She's alone. Where's Lily? What is she doing here? We all go silent as our Head Guardian crosses the rock bridge, coming our way. She's not drugged. She's not knocked out. She's not in shackles. She's walking on her own. What's going on? Why is she here? Where's Lily? When Gwen makes it to the end of the bridge and onto the large rock ledge that we're on she walks past us Guardians without a word, stopping at the base of Ghostclaw's throne. She bows at the bottom of the small staircase and kneels on one knee, not rising until Ghostclaw waves a hand at her, taking his place back on his throne. What in the world is she doing?

    "Welcome back, Deathflow," Ghostclaw says warmly. Who's Deathflow? Why is he calling Gwen, Deathflow? Gwen says nothing, she only pulls something out of her pocket, tossing it up to Ghostclaw. When he catches it in his hands Gwen moves around the large steps, standing next to the throne where Brittany was. She smiles at Miranda and then looks over at Brittany, who's still in front of me, and when Brittany nods at her she looks out over the rock bridge. All without a word. When I glance over at Ghostclaw to see what he's holding in his hands I go cold. It's the Terra Firma Gem. Ghostclaw chuckles, turning to Miranda.

    "Somebody owes me a favor," Ghostclaw announces. Miranda shrugs at him, glancing at Gwen briefly and smiling at her.

    "What?" Gwen says flatly, a smile playing her lips as she addresses Miranda. "You thought I couldn't do it?" Pieces gradually start to click together in my mind, and when they come together I feel sick to my stomach.

    "What did you do to Lily?" I yell. Things go silent, Gwen and Miranda turning to look at me as Brittany walks back over to them.

    "I don't believe you," Richard says. He talks in a hushed whisper, staring at Gwen with so much hurt in his eyes that I want to join his side and help support him. But I don't move. I can't. I can't believe Gwen. Has she really been a traitor? All this time? I wish I could get the answers right away, but right now there are too many unanswered questions. How did she get the Terra Firma Gem? Where's Lily? But why... why is she on their side?

    "Wait, what's going on?" Brayden asks, rubbing his eyes as if he just woke up. "Please tell me this is all a dream." Ghostclaw snickers as he tosses the Terra Firma Gem from one hand to the other.

    "You're all fools to not have noticed. Ah, your stupidity intrigues me."

    "It was you, wasn't it?" Amaryllis cries out in disbelief, even more tears flowing down her cheeks as she glares at Gwen. "It was you all along! You were the one who opened the Ebengate so that the Gloaming could break into the Keep of the Elementals, and you probably told them where we were in the first place! You sold Lily out! You've been the one who's been allowing the Gloaming to follow us all this time! How could you? Why would you give him the Terra Firma Gem? Why?" At this point Amaryllis is sobbing, and it hurts to see her so overwrought with emotion. Is this going to be the end for us? I know Ghostclaw is strong enough to end us all after Eric, and at the moment we're not strong enough to defend ourselves.

    How could I be so stupid? So ignorant? Gwen's the one with the highest power among us Guardians. Amaryllis pieced it together before I did, but the only one who could have lowered the Ebengate for the Gloaming among us is the Head Guardian. So when the Lixci chased after her, it was all a ruse. She must've come here, waiting for us to get captured so that she could "help" Lily escape. But she took the Terra Firma Gem instead. And now Ghostclaw has it, and Lily is nowhere to be found.

    "Oh, snap." Brayden smacks his forehead as he swivels around to stare at Gwen. "You're evil," he shrieks, finally piecing everything together. He looks back and forth from Richard to Gwen. Glancing from Gwen, who's standing up by the throne, to Richard, who's standing right next to him. "Did you know about this, Richard?"

    "No," he snaps at Brayden. "I didn't." Richard takes a step closer to the base of the throne, shifting his focus to Gwen. "I thought..." He drifts off when Gwen doesn't move at all, only lifting her chin high and placing a hand on the side of the throne.

    "What? That I cared about you? There was never an us, Richard. And there never will be." I study her, the way she's glaring defiantly at Richard. But Richard is staring back at her the same way he always does. For a split second I almost believe Gwen. But I still know her, at least... I know she loves Richard. Maybe I can't use "love" to describe it, but she cares. And I'm starting to care more about someone too. Even with all of this going on, with Gwen being a traitor, I still need to find Lily. We need to get the Terra Firma Gem back from Ghostclaw.

    "Please, Gwen. Please don't hurt me like this," Richard begs. Gwen goes silent, looking away from Richard and staring into space. When she finally comes back to reality and looks down at Richard she lifts up her waves of black hair, holding them high above her head so we can all see her neck. Her skin is red, and right where her jawline meets her ears there are shiny, gray diamonds. One on each side, just like Miranda's. The mark of the Gloaming.

    "I can't, Richard. You don't know a thing about me." I hate that Richard nearly drops to his knees, but I'm glad when Brayden grabs him, supporting him and yelling at Gwen. They go on with their conversation, and everyone is watching and listening. I would too, but I get distracted by a voice that fills my head. A still, small voice that gets louder and more profound as the seconds go by. I almost shout for joy when all my other thoughts disappear, leaving space for the one word that breaks through and into my head when my ears start to buzz.

    Steve?

I smile to myself, and as a habit I move my finger to the back of my ear, where a tiny strip of metal is hidden. I quickly move my finger away when I realize that there could be people watching me, and that I'll give away the fact that I'm transmitting thoughts. I wait until I've composed myself, pretending to focus on the interaction going on between Gwen and Richard, which is getting more heated, so that I can reply to the voice in my head. My ears are already steadily buzzing when I attempt to transmit my thoughts to the person that's been on my mind.

    Lily? My mind is silent for a while but I wait patiently, and my stomach does a flip when her voice fills my head again.

    Yeah, Steve? I-

    Are you okay? I interrupt.

    Um, not really. I've got a problem. This wind won't let me go.

    What? My ears stop buzzing before I can finish transmitting my thoughts and my connection with Lily is cut off. I mutter under my breath, trying to think of what might have happened as I focus once again on Gwen and Richard's conversation.

    "Richard, please, just stop. You have to understand I'm not who you think I am," Gwen pleads. I know I should be listening for Richard's sake, but I have to find a way to reconnect to Lily again. Although I do get kinda distracted when I realize Gwen is on the verge of crying. I can see the reflection of light from all the water in her shiny eyes, ready to spill over. In all my life I've never seen Gwen cry before.

    "Fine!" Richard shouts, shocking me. I've known him for so long, and yet I don't think I've ever seen him yell at Gwen before either. Sure, he and I have yelled at each other many times before, but he was never like this. He retreats from the steps of the throne so that he can join the line of Guardians, all four of us- Brayden, Amaryllis, Richard, and I- now glaring at Gwen. "Fine, Gwen! I understand. You can leave. They all do." He shifts so that his glare is focused on Brittany for a second before scowling solely at Ghostclaw.

    "You're a traitor," Amaryllis adds, wiping tears angrily away from her face.

    "And a murderer," Brayden throws in.

    "And a disgrace to the Guardians and the Realm of Ni'ilxus," I finish for everyone. Even all scratched up and broken and tired, we'll make it through this, together. At first there's nothing but silence, but then I snarl when I realize that Ghostclaw is clapping, very slowly and sarcastically as he laughs.

    "Bravo! Such a wonderful show you've put on!" He sits up, scanning us. "This was almost worth my time, but it's so cute how you all hate my best lieutenant now. Too bad you can't do anything about it. You're outnumbered, and what I've been waiting ever so patiently for is almost here. Open the gates!" Ghostclaw yells. He seems to yell to no one in particular but at his command the heavy metal doors across the cavern screech open.

    "Not again," Brayden sighs, crossing his arms as we all turn to watch. Even as we all stand there waiting, I get lost in thought. I have to contact Lily again. But how? I don't know where she is, and she said she had some sort of problem. The wind not letting her go? I want to find Lily and get back through those doors alive, but I don't have the slightest idea how.

    "Ethan?" Amaryllis whispers. She does so quietly enough that it seems like only Brayden, Richard and I can hear. Ethan makes his way across the rocky bride, his black hair waving in the wind from the raging waterfalls as he walks. His glasses he wore during the attack on the Praesidium are gone, and he looks strangely relaxed despite all that's going on. When he finally makes it across the bridge and comes to stand in front of Ghostclaw's throne he doesn't even glance at us.

    "Apologies, Ghostclaw. I found it hard to acquire the right serum." He bows, kneeling before standing once again.

    "You've got to be kidding me," Brayden mutters, watching as Ethan pulls four different needles out of his pockets.

    "Well, I'm not," Ethan laughs as he stabs Brayden in the neck. He pushes the syringe deeper, glaring at him. "That's what you get, you pathetic Guardian." Brayden groans and falls to the ground so Ethan moves over to Richard next, sliding the needle slowly into his neck. They make eye contact and Richard mumbles something before yelling and getting down on one knee.

    Did Richard tell you about Gwen?  I send the wind to Ethan's ears, pain coming with it that makes me freeze as Ethan pulls out yet another needle, walking over to me. He nods, pretending he's examining and cleaning the needle in his hands. I take deep breaths, trying to ignore the pain. I have to know. Do you know where Lily is? He shrugs, playing it off as rolling his shoulders as he stares at the needle in his hand. When he does finally stab the needle into my neck I'm gasping for air because of the pain that came with using my powers, but because of the noise I hear Ethan whispering words as quietly as he can.

    "Five minutes." I wait until he's pulled the needle out of my neck to scream again and clutch at my neck, blowing out a shaky breath as Ethan moves over to Amaryllis. I fall to the floor as I wait for Ethan to finish, making groaning sounds and hoping I'm convincing enough. This doesn't hurt at all. The only thing that hurt was when he slipped the needle into my neck, and when I used the wind. I am surprised, though. I thought Ghostclaw said I wouldn't be able to use my powers for around an hour.

    When Ethan finishes with Amaryllis I try to stand up, but not before he kneels down, punching me in the gut and making me grunt as I feel the weight of something being pushed into the inside of my tunic. I stay on my knees, holding my chest and pushing the weapon into a pocket as Ethan moves to stand next to Miranda. We have a chance now. I don't know what's supposed to happen in five minutes, but it might just be our ticket out of here.

    I watch as Ghostclaw stands up, glaring at him and trying not to give anything away. I can tell the object in my pocket is a knife, one that's small but retractable. I don't know how Ethan hid it in his clothes but I'm grateful that he did. Now I just need to wait for some sort of signal.

    "That should make you useless for another hour. Long enough for you to witness what I wanted you all to see," Ghostclaw finally announces, still clutching the Terra Firma Gem in his hands. When he's done speaking he tucks it into his cloak but from where I'm standing, I can still see the end of the necklace chain, hanging from the edge of the pocket that it's inside.

    "What do you want us to see?" Brayden asks wearily. Ghostclaw shrugs and points behind us. We all turn once again, each of us quietly preparing for what's next. It takes me a moment to realize that there's no metal screeching or scratching this time, because the doors never closed after Ethan came through. A strong, cold wind blows through the doors, bringing a nice feeling of being refreshed, but also blowing us all backwards a bit.

    What type of wind is this? The wind gets stronger, even though we're far away from the door. My hair starts to fly in crazy directions and I can hear howling as it comes near. It makes me uneasy because I know the wind well, and this isn't natural. In an instant the sounds of the river down below us seem to pick up, getting louder and becoming the only sound I can actually hear. Goosebumps start to form on my arms, and I try to read what's going on around me. I try to feel it with my powers, even though it brings pain. Whatever has happened to this wind, it isn't good. And whatever this wind is bringing, it's worse.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 133 29
[The Other Realms Series | Book 2] Actions, well-intended or not, have consequences. Some of them may be deathly. One year after the events that happ...
4.9K 174 44
Lily Easton wasn't the confident type. She was the youngest and usually hid in her sister's shadow. But when her Mother sends her and her sisters to...
874 72 32
Ariana Braxton a twenty year old witch discontented and depressed with all that traumatic things going on in her city Eroba. On the other hand Kevin...