She of the Sea

By DennisRoyer

2022 AMBY AWARD WINNER - Cassandra prepares to face her true nature as something other than human while avoid... More

A Brief Introduction
1 of 53 - A Rude Awakening
2 of 53 - A Desperate Escape
3 of 53 - A Messy Cleanup
4 of 53 - A Hasty Plan
5 of 53 - A Solid Lead
6 of 53 - An Annoying Boy
7 of 53 - A Cool Condo
8 of 53 - An Evil Doctor
9 of 53 - A Dog Story
10 of 53 - A New Plan
11 of 53 - An Ungrateful Tourist
12 of 53 - A Chance Encounter
13 of 53 - A Volleyball Game
14 of 53 - A Beach Bonfire
15 of 53 - A Timely Rescue
16 of 53 - A Tricky Breakfast
17 of 53 - A Job Offer
18 of 53 - A New Apartment
19 of 53 - A Mysterious Call
20 of 53 - A Second Chance
21 of 53 - A Botched Rescue
22 of 53 - A Troubled Family
23 of 53 - An Awkward Encounter
24 of 53 - A Wardrobe Lesson
25 of 53 - A First Impression
26 of 53 - An Ugly Scene
27 of 53 - A Temporary Hideout
28 of 53 - A Frustrating Night
29 of 53 - A New Alliance
30 of 53 - A Cold Girl
31 of 53 - A Suspicious Group
32 of 53 - A Storied Metamorphosis
33 of 53 - A Frightening Sight
34 of 53 - A Painful Transformation
35 of 53 - An Unwelcome Homecoming
36 of 53 - A Sponge Contest
37 of 53 - A Mysterious Lighthouse
38 of 53 - A Yacht Party
39 of 53 - An Unappreciated Miracle
40 of 53 - A Revealing Video
41 of 53 - An Attempted Abduction
42 of 53 - A Lover's Quarrel
43 of 53 - A Frantic Plan
44 of 53 - A Perfect Specimen
45 of 53 - A Flawed Analogy
46 of 53 - A New Ally
47 of 53 - A Savvy Operative
48 of 53 - An Untimely Interception
50 of 53 - A Human Gesture
51 of 53 - A Somber Burial
52 of 53 - A Welcome Reconciliation
53 of 53 - A Destiny Fulfilled

49 of 53 - A Desperate Battle

135 30 115
By DennisRoyer

Webb knew the explosion he heard from outside had to be Milos and Ofelia and their two boat crews engaging with whomever Danno had guarding the facility dock. The surprise stunned all of them for a second, but then he saw a look of determination cross Robin's expression.

She launched herself forward, diving down the remaining four or five steps. Danno, who had been holding on to her, got jerked off balance and lost his footing. He went down.

Webb grabbed his handgun still at his feet where he dropped it and went through the door to the lab. He immediately turned and using the door jamb as a shield aimed at Nico who remained above them on the landing.

Nico hesitated probably not wanting to take a shot because Danno was getting up and would be in the line of fire.

Before Nico could pull the trigger, Webb shot him center mass.

While Webb's three companions quickly subdued Danno, Webb cursed and ran up the stairs to tend to Nico who was down on his back. An ever-enlarging pool of blood bloomed beneath him.

Webb got to his knees and supported Nico's head. "Damn it, look what you made me do."

The dying man met his gaze. "That's the third time you bested me." A smile formed on his lips. "Three strikes and I'm out." Then the light left his eyes.

With Cassandra's safety being Webb's primary concern, he couldn't take the time to dwell on his killing of a former teammate, but it did anger and sadden him.

"What do we do with him?" Mick asked, meaning Danno.

"Bring him out to the lab. We'll sit him in a corner where we can keep an eye on him with his wrists and ankles zip tied." Webb looked at Danno. "Shame about Nico. He was a good man."

Danno nodded but said nothing.

"That was good thinking," Webb said to Robin, "but you really need to get out of here while you can. If anyone on the mainland saw or heard the explosion, they likely called it in."

"Thanks," Rafe said to Robin as she dashed up the stairs taking them two at a time to leave.

"Let's go," Webb uttered. He led the way through the lab door. The rest followed.

Tables filled with equipment and gurneys stood in their way. Two rooms led from the far wall. Doors were closed to both.

"I've been here before," Webb said. "The room to the left is imaging. It contains x-ray machines, an MRI, and other scanners. The room to the right is where they'll likely be. It's Doctor Armando's inner sanctum."

He looked at Danno sitting on the floor. "Is that where they are?"

Danno remained silent.

Webb telephoned Milos to coordinate. He put him on speaker.

Sounding winded, Milos said, "We came in hot. A big guy in a speedboat shot over our heads in an attempt to get us to stop. I don't think he meant to kill us, but one of my guys got excited and tossed a grenade into his boat." Milos paused. "He's gone. The speedboat is in pieces."

Webb looked at Danno. "Was it Razzy in the speedboat?"

Danno nodded.

"It's just you and Claudia now. Where is Claudia? I don't want to shoot her too."

Danno sighed. "With Armando and the girl."

"What do you want us to do?" Milos asked over the phone speaker.

"Secure the dock and stand by." He ended the call.

Webb knelt beside Danno. "It's over. Call Claudia out and you have my word I'll let you go. Nobody else needs to die tonight."

Danno didn't even take a second to think it over. He shouted, "Claudia, we're surrounded and outnumbered. Nico and Razzy are dead. Give it up."

At first, Webb didn't think she would comply. After a minute, the door opened, and a handgun slid out of the opening onto the floor. "I'm coming out. Don't shoot."

From deeper inside, Webb heard shouted curses from Armando.

Claudia stepped out, hands raised. "I'm not dying for that asshole."

Corky and Mick checked her for hidden weapons. Rafe ran to the door she exited.

"Stop," Webb shouted. If Armando had a firearm the fool kid would get himself killed. No use. Rafe threw himself through across the threshold with his gun raised.

Webb followed, but entered more cautiously.

Doctor Armando held Cassandra in front of him, a human shield, with a scalpel pressed against her throat. The girl wore a white lab coat long enough to cover her and a defeated expression as if resigned to the fact she was about to die. Two assistants and a guard stationed at the back door stood wide-eyed, hands raised. They were angling toward the exit door.

Rafe had his handgun aimed at the doctor's head, but his hands were wobbling.

"Relax your grip, Rafe. You might accidently shoot Cassandra. I'll handle this," Webb said. He nodded at the guard and two assistants. "Go."

They scrambled from the room.

Rafe was breathing heavily and lowered his aim toward the floor.

Armando yelled, "You ruined everything."

"Let Cassandra go, and you can walk out of here."

The doctor's lower jaw trembled. "No, I'm taking it with me."

"There's nowhere for you to go."

"Drop the weapons, or I'll slice this specimen from ear to ear."

Rafe raised his weapon. "Hurt her and I'll kill you. I'll torture you first and you'll wish you were never born."

He laughed maniacally. "But that can only happen after this thing is also dead."

Her words came out in a hoarse mutter. "I'm not a thing. My name is Cassie."

It encouraged Webb to hear her voice.

"I'm leaving through this back door," Armando said. "You know what will happen if anyone tries stopping me."

"Let me call the team outside to warn them not to shoot."

Armando began dragging Cassie toward the door while Webb punched in Milos's number to explain the situation. When done, he said, "Okay, you're clear, but you must know wherever you go, we're going to follow you. So, why don't you give it up and walk away. Let's call it even."

Doctor Armando shook his head and using one hand unbarred the door, his other still holding the scalpel to Cassie. She seemed alert now, her resigned expression giving over to wide-eyed fright.

When they exited, he and Rafe ran to the door. Webb had forgotten it was night, and the rain still pounded down. A few spotlights lit up the corner of the building and the dock. He looked behind and told Corky and Mick to keep Danno and Claudia secured until they returned.

Armando began pulling Cassandra toward the dock.

"He's going for one of the boats," Rafe mumbled.

"Let him go," Webb said. "We'll just follow in the other boat." He didn't know where the boat crews were hiding. To make sure none of them tried anything stupid, he yelled, "Let them go."

Webb held his breath as the doctor stumbled while boarding, worrying he might accidently jab Cassie with the scalpel. She didn't cry out and seemed all right.

Armando reached down and untethered the boat, never taking his other arm from Cassie and the deadly scalpel. He powered up the motor. Unable to drive while holding onto Cassie, he threw her to the deck, grabbed the wheel and slammed the throttle forward.

The boat jetted away.

Out of the darkness came muzzle flashes and the sound of weapon fire.

"Cease fire, you fools," Webb yelled. "You'll hit Cassandra."

Question - Webb drew first blood. Who else will die?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

700 36 64
[DRAFT 1] In the summer of 2009, on the coast of Western Australia lies the fishing and surfing famous town of pointbreak bay. Known for its scorchin...
143K 3.8K 33
~UNDER EDITING~ Oceania has lived in Amnesty Bay her whole life and locked away from the ocean by her aunt who loathes her sister for bringing her in...
693 86 17
After spending most of her life in the bustling city of Colmoore, 17-year-old Niylah is forced to spend the summer with her estranged father in her c...
666 36 21
As the new girl in the tiny town of Atlantis, Florida, sixteen-year old Cassandra "Sandra" Shan always dreamed of becoming a marine biologist. What...