Everything & More (Book 1 in...

By SelMarX

Martha, a strong blinded by love woman, must come to terms that Everything she knows in life is going to chan... More

🚨AUTHOR'S NOTE 🚨
Chapter 1-Martha
Chapter 2-Martha
Chapter 3-Ryan
Chapter 4-Martha
Chapter 5-Jonathan
Chapter 6-Ryan
Chapter 7-Martha
Chapter 8-Martha
Chapter 9-Ryan
Chapter 10-Jonathan
Chapter 11-Martha
Chapter 12-Martha
Chapter 13-Martha
Chapter 14-Martha
Chapter 15-Martha
Chapter 16-Ryan
Chapter 17-Martha
Chapter 18-Martha
Chapter 19-Ryan
Chapter 20-Ryan
Chapter 21-Martha
Chapter 22-Martha
Chapter 23-Jonathan
Chapter 24-Martha
Chapter 25-Martha
Chapter 26-Martha
Chapter 27-Ryan
Chapter 28-Jonathan
Chapter 29-Martha
Chapter 31-Ryan
Chapter 32-Ryan
Chapter 33-Martha
Chapter 34-Ryan
Chapter 35-Jonathan
Chapter 36-Martha
Continuing Update🚨
Chapter 37 - Martha
Chapter 38-Martha
Chapter 39-Martha
Chapter 40-Ryan
Chapter 41-Martha
Chapter 42-Martha
Chapter 43-Martha
Chapter 44-Martha
Chapter 45-Jonathan
Chapter 46-Martha
Chapter 47-Ryan
Chapter 48-Martha
Chapter 49-Ryan
Chapter 50-Martha
Chapter 51-Ryan
Chapter 52-Jackie
Chapter 53-Martha
Chapter 54-Jonathan
Chapter 55-Martha
Chapter 56-Ryan
Chapter 57-Martha
Chapter 58-Third Person
Chapter 59-Ryan
Chapter 60-Jonathan
Chapter 61-Jonathan

Chapter 30-Martha

537 27 2
By SelMarX

Light snowflakes and the melody to classic Christmas music filled the air as Lori and I walked through the outlet mall. Festivities were in full swing, people dressed up as Santa in front of every other store ringing a bell to receive donations for charity. The bushes surrounding nearby trees were trimmed to look like reindeer or presents wrapped in fairy lights. While every store had some type of wreath on their door.

We were dressed in our finest winter wear. Lori had thick black stockings on with a mid thigh grey wool skirt and ankle boots. She wore a light brown Pea Coat with a silver infinity scarf and a light brown beanie to match. She said her pixie hair cut doesn't allow her the warmth she would like on her head during these times. Due to my long hair all I needed was my ear muffs. I wore a Black Parka that had a silver faux fur lining. That was paired with my blue high waisted jeggings and black mid-calf boots.

Lori sighed next to me as we leisurely walked down a path, "Black Friday."

"Technically it's Black Saturday." I corrected.

She rolled her eyes, "Because we didn't go yesterday."

"And you know exactly why." Black Friday, the day to get into fights and be trampled over flat screen TVs that you already have. I never went shopping on Black Friday, instead I came out the day after because the sales would still be there.

My first two stops were GapKids and Old Navy, I was happy about finally finding the time to pick up some new outfits for Paige. It always amazed me how much she grew everyday and with that came a new wardrobe every now and then. Lori was holding onto my arm as she led us to the hot chocolate cart, bags in hand. She started the conversation after we ordered our hot chocolates. "So... we didn't get to talk much about Thanksgiving."

Right, the Thanksgiving from hell.

I handed the barista cash, "Yea I know, I've been meaning to ask you how that went."

She turned to me with a confused look as we moved to the side to wait for our order, "How what went?"

"Don't play dumb, you and Mason." I said, slightly nudging her with my elbow.

She shrugged as she spoke nonchalantly, "What's there to tell?"

"Oh come on, you and the rest of the hospital have been drooling over this man since he got there. Plus when I formally introduced you guys, you were blushing like crazy." I couldn't help but tease her.

When her eyes went wide I knew she was going into defense mode, "Hey don't put me in the same category as those groupies. I never drooled over him, I just admired his good looks. And I was not blushing, we were in the kitchen and it was pretty warm."

"I don't know, when I talked about you I saw how intrigued he was. It was as if he never heard of a woman like you before."

She chuckled as she voiced her current thoughts, "Maybe he just never heard of a woman as crazy as me before."

"That's true." I teased, she slapped my arm playfully and we both busted out chuckling.

"Martha." "Lori." The barista called our names letting us know that our hot chocolates were ready.

~~~~~~

We went through several stores before hitting HomeGoods. I was trying to find everyone the perfect gift. Luckily I ordered Lori's gift online weeks ago and it was hidden in the back of Paige's closet. My mother was easy, get her some anti-aging cream, expensive perfume and she'll get off your back till her birthday. The main person I was really struggling with was Ryan. I've known the man my whole life and after not speaking for two years I'm at a loss.

The snapping and waving of fingers in my face brought my thoughts back. We were currently standing in the pots and pans section. Lori was holding a turquoise pot set looking at me expectantly. "I was asking if you thought this would go with my place."

"Sorry, um... yea. It's a bit on the darker side but considering your place is very modern, I'd say it's fitting." I commented.

"Yea I thought it would accent the black I have going on." She said as she admired it further before putting it in the cart. We began walking down the isles as she examined new pieces for her kitchen.

Some all white dinner bowls that were wide and deep caught my attention. I immediately picked it up.

This would be perfect for pasta.

I grabbed about 10 of them and placed them into the cart. Lori's eyes glanced back, doing a double take at my actions. "Really, white? Your house already looks as plain and as pure as a virgin's chastity's belt." She whined looking at me like I had no sense.

"Okay, First of all...rude and second I plan on remodeling the house for your information so I need white dinnerware to accent it." Lori's eyes lit up with excitement once those words hit her ears.

"OOO can I help?!" She exclaimed at the idea of interior design.

I nodded in agreement as we proceeded to check out.

"Sooo, what did you get me for Christmas?" Lori tried to be nonchalant, thinking I would cave.

I laughed at her the minute I heard the words. "Now, why would I tell you that?"

"Because you don't want your best friend to suffer the agony of having to wait several weeks." She added the finger going down her cheek like a tear to gain more sympathy.

"Sorry, you're just gonna have to wait till Santa comes I guess." She whimpered in disbelief and started to pout.

Lori was pretty talented. She was able to keep up the act all the way to the next store. Once we arrived, she tried one more time. "Please!" She stomped a little bit like a child throwing a tantrum.

"No." I deadpanned. Did she forget I have a 5 year old, I can do this all day.

"Uuugghh, fine!" Lori said as she stomped away into H&M. With my drink and shopping bags in hand I looked to see what deals they had. Lori got over her tantrum pretty quickly as she spotted a bright yellow sweater and held it up for me to see. I scrunched up my nose in disgust as I saw it up close. Putting the sweater back where she found it, she asked, "Don't think I forgot that you changed the subject when I mentioned Thanksgiving."

I bit my lip and looked away feeling the embarrassment take over, "You caught that did you?"

"I'm not stupid, I know you were avoiding the topic." Lori viewed a few more pieces of clothing before speaking again, "Are you gonna tell me what's going on between those two?"

"What two?" I said glancing up from perusing.

"Jonathan and Ryan."

"I don't even know." I said holding my hands up in defense, "They just really don't like each other. Never have and they've known each other since they were 17."

"Well whatever it is, that Thanksgiving table was sure tense with those two glaring at each other." Lori wasn't looking at me as she continued the conversation. She just immersed herself into the clothing and so did I, "Though, I do have a theory."

"Oh do you now?" Damn, is there a stain on this shirt... maybe there's another one.

"Mhmm" Her voice was getting lower.

Wait, maybe the fluorescent lighting is just making it look yellow... nope it's stained. I huffed as I placed an option back, "Alright, well let's hear this theory of yours."

"You." She spoke cautiously. I stood there silently as I tried to understand where she was going with this.

Tilting my head slightly and narrowing my eyes, I continued the conversation, "Excuse me?"

"You." she shrugged lightly, "You are the reason."

It's my fault? "What do you mean?"

"That their fighting is about you."

The possibility of where she was going with this bothered me so I pressed a little more, "What about me? I mean I know I'm the common denominator that makes them have to put up with each other."

"No, I'm saying that they are only ever fighting over you."

"Me?..." She wasn't making any sense, "They've been fighting for almost 10 years Lori."

She looked around like it was the most obvious thing in the world, "You really don't see it do you?"

"See what?" What the hell was she getting at?

The smirk on her face meant she knew something, something that I didn't. "Hell, I can see it every time he's around you. It would certainly make sense why he looks like he wants to strangle anyone who gets near you."

"What the hell are you talking about? Jonathan?"

"Ryan! He has feelings for you." I was about to laugh but stopped when I saw how serious she was. I physically couldn't speak. People around the store kept glancing in our direction after Lori's declaration. I was feeling self conscious under their gaze. Tossing an awkward smile their way, I threw whatever clothing I was holding back on the rack and moved onto another section. Lori's determined footsteps were close behind. "You have nothing to say?"

Ryan?

I felt a hole being burned into the side of my skull as I continued to focus all my attention on the clothing in front of me.

"And now she's ignoring me, real mature." I grabbed the shirt I was admiring and took it to the dressing room. Closing the door behind me I felt like I was actually able to breathe. "Just because this door is between us doesn't mean you can hide from me." Lori called out.

I began to change, feeling the intense urge to climb out of a window. "Lori I'm not talking about this."

"Why not?"

"Honestly I don't even know how you came up with something like that and you've said some serious shit in your day." Opening the door with the new shirt on, I went to find a full body mirror. There was one at the end of the dressing room where Lori was waiting for me.

"Cute." She said, examining it. The minute Lori was done, she started up again, "And you know you're full of shit. You wouldn't have clamped up and started freaking out if a part of you didn't think it was a possibility."

"No," I shook my head, "because what you are proposing is ri-di-cu-lous."

"That Ryan could have feelings for you?"

"Yes."

She tilted her head and gave me a 'come on, be serious' face, "Really?"

"Stop it." I put my hand up and walked away from her.

Lori sighed, "Why is it so hard for you to consider?"

I stopped in my tracks and turned around, "Because... because it's Ryan, that's why and what proof do you have?"

She can't be serious, this is Ryan we're talking about.

"Oh I don't know," Lori held out her hand and began listing the reasons, "maybe the way he looks at you, touches you, how protective he is of you."

"Did it ever occur to you that he's protective because he's known me his entire life? That I'm like a sister to him." I countered.

She scoffed as she walked away from the dressing area, "Yea okay. Hurry up, we have other stores to go to."

"Wait just tell me one thing." I called after her. Lori stopped and turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "Why are you saying this now? You've been in my life long before I kicked Ryan out of it. Nothing's changed, I'm still married, Ryan's still my friend. What's different now that you would put something like that in my head?"

Lori took a moment to actually think about before finally meeting my eyes. The look on her face meant that she was sincere, "I don't know. Maybe I'm starting to realize that letting you live in this oblivious bubble of yours is actually doing you more harm than good." As she sauntered out of the area I stood there left thinking to myself.

Oblivious bubble?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267 61 20
He let out a sigh "As much as it hurts to admit this Dora, I was wrong about you wanting this marriage" Follow the life of Dora, a beautiful and vibr...
1.1K 67 22
With her mother fighting for her life in the hospital after a terrible accident, Storm Lyles moves in with her mothers friend since high school and h...
73.1K 5.8K 35
She wants out of her marriage, but would she be willing to sell her trigger-happy husband and his sadistic crew out to start a new life?
543K 15.3K 19
As a single mom intent on making a better life for my two children and myself, I gave up dating while I finished my degree and started a new job. The...