The Shadow of Eudaimonia

KenDaniel

At the brink of extinction, humanity had tapped into an infinite amount of power that controls the very machi... Еще

Chapter 0: Two Strangers from the Sky
Chapter 1: The War that Started it All
Chapter 2: Party at Planet Kepler
Chapter 3: A Quiet Life
Chapter 4: The Solution
Chapter 5: After the War that Started it All
Chapter 6: The Inheritor
Chapter 7: The Most Dangerous Ceremony in the Universe
Chapter 8: The Boy Struck by Lightning
Chapter 9: The Girl whose Name He Can't Recall
Chapter 10: Of Rumors and Questions
Chapter 11: The Soldier and The Princess
Chapter 12: Rendezvous of Four
Chapter 13: The War Against Unity
Chapter 14: Best Lucky Charm
Chapter 15: A Deal
Chapter 16: Noble Strides
Chapter 17: Midnight Darkness
Chapter 18: Away from Home
Chapter 19: Wren's Sacrifice
Chapter 20: Not From Around Here
Chapter 21: Beginning of Something
Chapter 22: Training Days
Chapter 23: Inciting Fear
Chapter 24: Free
Chapter 25: Fated Reality
Chapter 26: About Last Night
Chapter 27: Tale of Two Veross
Chapter 28: Battle of Two Gaians
Chapter 29: Found
Chapter 30: Incognito
Chapter 31: Alea Iacta Est
Chapter 33: Acceptance
Chapter 34: Sic Semper Tyrannis
Chapter 35: Strongest in the Universe
Chapter 36: Back to the Future
Chapter 37: Voice of Veross
Chapter 38: Selfish and Selfless
Chapter 39: In the Shadows

Chapter 32: Meeting Again

70 14 17
KenDaniel

Lazzi, being so tall, was asked to do chores that required his height such as removing the cobwebs from the corners of Aling Apring's home. Later, he was tasked to climb the roof and trim the branch of the tree nearby using a bolo. Absurd as it was, he complied and skillfully climbed it with no hitch, even with the bolo slung on his waist. The problem was what he saw up there. Just a few miles from them, he saw looming dark thunderous clouds that were seemingly heading towards them. The way the lightning flashed like fireworks and strike at precise locations made Lazzi feel that it was no ordinary storm. Lazzi gulped. He knew Calvin needed his help. He needs to protect him. Lazzi propped to go down the roof but he stopped midway after hearing a commotion.

"Where are they?" a man bellowed. Lazzi peeked and saw a bunch of uniformed men, probably a dozen of them all huddled together.

"What are you talking about?"

"Someone had tipped us that the wanted men that Ortus wanted are in your custody. Just give them to us."

Aling Apring shook her head in confusion.

"Ma, they're after Berto and Johnny." Rita whispered but one of the men heard it.

"So, they're really here. Where are they?"

Rita stayed quiet and just glared at them. One of the men was irritated and yanked the collar of Rita's shirt. Before Rita could fight back, a fist suddenly came out of nowhere and punched the man away. Lazzi's enraged eyes were a glowing amber. Lazzi cracked his knuckles and grinned unconsciously. The soldiers were quick to point their guns at him. He remembered the old lady he saved back in Kepler. Still he found it ironic that these soldiers who've sworn to protect are the ones instilling fear.

"I'm the one you're looking for. Now leave these people alone."

"We will if you come with us right now!"

Lazzi glanced at the dark sky above, sweat dripped at the side of his face. "Sorry but I can't."

"Well, you know what? We don't need you alive. Ortus just wants your head."

He gripped the bolo hanging on his waist but before he could fully unsheathe it from its scabbard, someone drew fire. But Lazzi slowed down time and slashed the bullet using his bolo. Now, all other men opened fire and Lazzi blocked it all with his inhuman speed and bolo. The smell of gunpowder wafted at every strike of the bullet on his old steel blade. One man, the one he punched, charged closer and tried to shoot him point black. But Lazzi easily kicked the gun away. He countered, hit the man with the blunt handle of the bolo knocking him out instantly. By this time, the rain had started falling. Lazzi gritted his teeth. While dodging the bullets, he skittered his eyes at Aling Apring and Rita who was watching him with hope that he would make them safe. If he leaves them, what would they do to them? But at the same time, Calvin was out there.

"Enough!" Lazzi yelled. He pressed his fist together and made the flow of time completely stop. Droplets of water floated in midair, small bullets too. Lazzi hurried and struck the nape of every uniformed man as efficiently as possible. When he was sure he dealt with everyone, he breathed out and a cold mist escaped his lips. In a beat, the men fell to the ground like broken toys.

Lazzi shuddered. The wetness of the rain plus the stark coldness was not a good combination for him. He looked in the direction at the sea ready to go to Calvin but another batch of soldiers was quickly approaching him. Lazzi's stomach churned as he came to a grim conclusion. These men, he thought, were strictly guided by Ortus. They know that he cannot use his Obelisk multiple times.

Lazzi shifted his gaze at Aling Apring and Rita. Fear was evident in their eyes, especially Rita who was already crying, hugging tightly her mother who was just as terrified. Behind them was a growing number of the residents of the island, looking just as afraid as they were curious. He shook his head and muttered to his head "I believe in your promise Cal."

"Finally, we meet again, Shijian, the champion of Kepler."

As soon as the words registered to Lazzi, he froze in place. He dared not to make a sudden movement. Why would Ortus be here? He shouldn't be here, Lazzi thought. Calvin didn't tell him anything about this. He slowly turned his face to the direction of the voice, his shaking fist clenched, and saw the one talking was a young man, about their age, though his facial structures were not striking. It's not Ortus. He recognized the young man as Calvin's classmate, Tony, assimilated by Ortus, acting like a drone.

"What's the matter? You seemed surprised. Haven't Veross predicted this to happen? Or he hasn't mastered it yet?"

Lazzi gulped. "Where's your real body Ortus?"

"Somewhere safe, of course."

"Coward."

The boy scoffed. "Coming from you who has been hiding all this time?"

Lazzi took a step forward, which made the other uniformed men draw their guns. "Where's Ophelia?"

"She had served her duty as an Obelisk."

"What the hell do you mean by that?"

"I suppose Veross is causing all these storms. If I may say so, the fact that he was able to do these with his Obelisk in a short period of time is quite impressive."

Lazzi smiled proudly. "Of course, why would the old Veross choose him?"

"Beats me. But if he doesn't surrender with you, I'll have to kill—"

Before the puppet could finish, Lazzi was already mere inches away from him. Lazzi swung his bolo with no hesitation. The puppet, no time to dodge, blocked it with his arm. The bolo sliced through the bones cleanly, amputating him. "Kill him and I'll erase you from existence," Lazzi warned, wide-eyed and murderous. The puppet, though, did not at all feel pain as it immediately countered with a kick to the head. Lazzi defended himself. He tried to slash the puppet once again but he heard a gunshot from behind, quickly followed by another. His stomach churned. He was sure he was done for. But nothing had hit him.

"Leave my Lazzi alone, Tony!" Calvin bellowed; his eyes glowing. He was holding a gun, the one Lazzi kicked away earlier from one of the men. He had blocked the bullet that was about to hit Lazzi by shooting at it precisely.

Lazzi looked at Calvin like a miracle and his heart almost stopped beating. He was so relieved to know he was safe.

"Good, you're here too. Makes the job easier." Tony signaled. Three men fired a shot. Calvin swiftly took a slight side step and dodged the bullets with ease. Lazzi threw rocks at him faster than the bullets, he thought. The sheer impossibility made the other men flinch for a second which was enough for Lazzi to disarm them. Calvin darted towards Tony, while Lazzi was covering for him.

Mid-run, Calvin who had never held a gun in his life, aimed at Tony's leg and fired a shot. It hit him but just barely. Tony retaliated and pulled the trigger. Calvin fired back. Luckily, his bullets collided with Tony's, the projectiles reduced into sparks.

"Your luck can't save you forever Veross."

"Let's test that theory."

Tony tried to fire again but his gun suddenly vanished from his hand.

"Looking for this?" Lazzi said while spinning Tony's gun on his hand.

Tony now defenseless retorted to something else. "Calvin, don't you want to see your father again?"

"He's dead. I know." Lazzi looked at Calvin surprised.

"But I can bring him back. Just give me your Obelisk and—"

"That's not gonna work on me anymore."

Ortus scoffed. "You know why I haven't killed you two yet? Because I thought I could talk sense to you guys. Deep inside you know, I'm right. Shijian, your planet is poor and dying like this Earth. Greed runs deep within your people. Calvin, you said to me humans are awful, designed for cruelty. I can fix all of that!"

"You're not fixing anything, Ortus. You're destroying it. Sorry but we don't believe you."

Tony sighed. "Well, if it comes to that then, I'm sorry too." Tony looked at his remaining army. "Kill them all." Like mindless zombies, they dispersed and barged into the houses of the civilians. They dragged them out like they suddenly ceased to be humans. Two of them grabbed Aling Apring and Rita, and pushed them to the ground. Rita wept and begged the men not to shoot her mother. Her screams, along with the cries of the others, made the noise of the rain a background to their haunting requiem.

"Leave them alone!" Calvin screamed.

"What's the matter Veross? I thought humans are evil? Why pity their lives now?"

"Fuck you!" Calvin aimed and pulled the trigger. Tony dodged but it still hit him on his shoulder. Tony was looking pale now; his blood washed away with the rain water. Calvin felt sad for Tony. But his fury towards Ortus grew more ardent.

"Lazzi," Calvin called out. He saw Lazzi's trembling hands, he wasn't sure if it was because he used his Obelisk so much or if he was seething with rage. Calvin just gave him a nod and Lazzi had understood. "We give up. Just, please, leave them alone."

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

98.5K 4.8K 24
[after the events of season 8] An AU of AUs/Fix-It Fic When Keith was assigned to a mission concerning every single existing reality, the last person...
525K 21.6K 115
|| 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐃 || • 𝑼𝑪𝑯𝑰𝑯𝑨 𝑺𝑨𝑺𝑼𝑲𝑬 • ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ɢᴏɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴇɴᴅ ᴜᴘ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛʜɪꜱ? ʜᴇ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴʟʏ ᴅɪᴅɴ'ᴛ. ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴍᴏᴋᴇ...
Sacred Ties Sonia Last

Любовные романы

238K 13.4K 41
There first meeting wasn't great. One was called rude and the other thought he was childish. More than one encounters couldn't just be an incident. B...
34.2K 1.7K 40
Style Ajero, whose experience in the past made him terified of very loud 'sudden' noises has a facade as a happy and very active hyper person. He's v...