The Ex

By EmRatosss

|| Wattpad Featured || The Amby Awards Romance Winner ❤️ The perfect man just proposed and what was my answer... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

886 48 5
By EmRatosss

"Paul!" I exclaim.

My higher-than-normal pitch reveals my shock. He looks sharp in his white buttoned shirt and beige suit. Although his hair is shorter, his kind eyes are the same. I glance back to Ethan whose low brows are pulled tight over menacing eyes. He looks angry, or maybe he just suffers from the male equivalent of resting bitch face. Whatever it is, it causes the hair on my neck to stand tall.

Paul extends a hand toward me. "May I?" he asks again.

He looks at me expectantly. I turn to Ethan and find that he shares the same look.

Feeling suffocated by the weight of expectation, the need to get out of this awkward situation has me answering hurriedly, "of course."

Ethan releases me from his embrace and anger flashes in his eyes as his attention shifts to Paul. I think it's safe to say that he is not thrilled at the idea of us sharing a dance. I bite the inside of my cheek, not exactly thrilled by this possessiveness either. Without a word, he walks away. My eyes are glued to his retreating form as he moves stiffly to the bar. Paul looks between me and Ethan with an inquisitive expression.

I attempt a carefree smile and reach for Paul, "shall we?" Placing my hand on his shoulder, he pulls me close and we begin to move in time with the music. "I had no idea you were coming."

"Surprise!" he laughs happily. "When I received your message, I called Liam and asked if I could still attend the wedding."

"Liam didn't mention a thing to me," I glance at him on the dancefloor and he gives me a thumbs up. Sophie gives us a wink and I covertly flick my middle finger in their direction.

"I know you hate surprises but I asked Liam not to say anything."

"It's a good surprise," I say reassuringly.

My eyes are trained on his but my head is still processing Ethan's last words.

"Charlotte, I've missed you so much. I wanted to tell you that."

"Paul-." I pause as he looks at me hopefully. I know what he wants me to say. I know what I should say. Panic washes over me when the words escape me. "I have to go and check on the food," I blurt out.

He raises his brows but nods in acknowledgment, "oh, ok."

"I'll talk to you later," I let him go and step away. The smile I give him over my shoulder on my way out of the venue is forced. Rounding the corner, I break into a jog as I move up the stone path towards the kitchen. My strappy white heels don't slow me down in the slightest. My anxiety is immediately eased when I enter the bustling kitchen.

The kitchen staff tends to several plates of creamy mushroom tortellini that are lined up on the counter. I smile at the delicious sight, "how is everything going?"

Elio turns in my direction, "What are you doing here? We are fine." He places the large pan of grilled prawns with chili-lime sauce he is holding onto the stovetop and wipes his hands on his apron. He meets me by the door and physically pushes me outside, "get out of here and enjoy the wedding."

"Fine," I respond with the playful roll of my eyes. "But-"

"I promise to let you know if we have any issues."

"Thank you so much, Elio."

"You're very welcome. Now go and have some fun,' he says as he retreats to the kitchen.

Turning in the direction of the music, my smile drops when I see Ethan seated on the wooden bench that lines the path.

He motions to the empty place next to him, "we need to talk."

"Ethan, we really don't," I shake my head and start towards the party.

"Will you hear me out for two minutes?"

I pause at his exasperated tone and begrudgingly turn to him. He now stands, the softness of the ocean behind him conflicts with the hardness in his expression, "Charlotte, did you ever really love me?"

I blink in confusion, "what?"

His eyes do not show a hint of humor, instead, his hard stare causes a shiver to run down my spine.

"How can you even ask me that question?" My eyes flare with disbelief.

"I need to know, Charlotte."

"Ethan, I don't want to talk about it."

"Of course not. Because we both know the truth."

My heart threatens to beat out of my chest, "what truth is that, Ethan?"

"That it took you exactly one month to move on with Paul." I scoff at his words and he raises his eyes in challenge. "Admit it. You were happy that I left. It was the excuse you needed to get out of the relationship."

With red hot anger coursing through my veins, I take a step closer to him, "after you got up and walked out of my life, I was broken. Completely broken. I could barely get out of bed in the morning. When I finally did, I put all my energy into work. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat. You have no idea what I went through." He watches me intently as I continue, "when I met Paul, I was barely a person. He helped pick up the pieces and put me back together again."

His jaw ticks in anger, "I'm sure he saw your vulnerability as an opportunity."

I point accusingly at him, "you don't know a thing about Paul. Or me, for that matter."

"I know you better than anyone."

"If you did, you wouldn't have asked me that question," I turn to leave but he grabs my hand.

"We could have made it work Charlotte, but instead you chose to move on."

My throat burns with unshed tears but I refuse to cry. No matter how much pain the memory causes, "I had no choice."

"You always had a choice. I just wish you had made the right one."

I pull my hand out of his grasp, "that's where you're wrong, Ethan. Despite all the pain, I did exactly what I needed to."

His eyes flash with pain, "good, I'm glad you have no regrets."

"Just one huge one," I say with a condescending grin.

"Do yourself a favor and just forget about it. That's what you do best." He states sarcastically.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I turn on my heels and walk away from him.

"It won't be difficult considering your love was never real," he shouts.

I stop suddenly, my attention slicing back to him, "you of all people cannot say that."

He scrunches his face in confusion but I don't let him speak, I was done hearing the lies.

"When you left, it took me exactly three hours to realize I had made a huge mistake. That I couldn't let you go." The tears start to fall at the memory, "I packed my things and got on the first flight out. I didn't tell anyone, not even Liam and Sophie. I just got up and left."

His brows rise in shock.

"I was ready to throw it all away for you. My friends, my dreams, my entire life," I pause and bring my hand to my face, wiping my tears. "When I finally arrived at the hotel, I glanced into the bar and there you were. I stood there smiling like an idiot at the sight of you. I was so happy, Ethan." I hold my chest, the pain that this memory causes is unbearable. "But you weren't alone. I watched as Amanda leaned in. I froze when she placed her hand on your cheek." I inhale a ragged breath and wince at my next words, "you kissed her."

I don't know if it's my words or the agony in my voice, but he shuts his eyes.

"I couldn't take it, Ethan. Seeing you with your assistant broke me. I ran out of there and got the first flight home. I couldn't even bring myself to tell Sophie and Liam what happened."

Ethan is just as shocked by my words as I was by his actions all those years ago.

"I doubted everything. Our first kiss, the ring, our love," my voice breaks on the last word. "I couldn't believe how blind and naive I was. You spent almost every day with her for as long as we were together. I drove myself insane wondering how long it had been going on for."

He opens his mouth to respond but I raise my hand to stop him, "No, I don't want to hear it."

"Char," he says pleadingly.

"I choose to forget because I can't live with the alternative." Tears run freely down my face. "To answer your question, Ethan, I did love you. But your heart was never really mine."

My revelation has thrown him. He stands deadly still, the late afternoon sun reflects the unshed tears in his grey eyes.

"If you'll excuse me, I have to go and make a speech about eternal love." This time when I walk away from him, I don't look back.

I am done looking back.

Thank you for reading The Ex: Chapter twenty-four!
Please comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 112 11
Status: Complete Beautiful and passionate boss lady as I'm, I never thought one's love will make me frail. It wasn't a love at first sight as they sa...
40.5K 2.2K 60
#1- believe (23/12/2020) #4 - MysteryRomance Hello everyone, My story "UnFading love" has been shortlisted for Wattpad India Awards 2020. If you like...
814K 14.2K 82
Two best friends are realising that they aren't kids anymore, and they have desires that need to be fulfilled. So who better to experiment with than...
26.2K 2.5K 77
Have you ever sunk so low that you actually felt relieved, knowing that it couldn't possibly get any worse? Well, I have... Many times. I lost ever...