We Are Survivors

By FireCloud3

[AFTER EPISODE 84] In Ninjago, all hope seems lost. The two remaining Ninja, Lloyd and Nya, along with their... More

We Are Alive
Time To Rise
Hunted
The Resistance
Descent Into Darkness
The Dragon Trial
Elemental Assistance
Mystery Revealed
Home of Hunters
Illogical Hope
Schemes
Heavy Metal
Never Quit
Not Dead Yet
Walk By Faith
The Realm Crystal
Oni's Abode
Inside Kryptarium
Last-Ditch Effort
True Colors
Costly Mistakes
Mother Of All Dragons
Shattered Charades
Desperate Alliances
Reunions
Falling Inside the Black
Leap of Faith
The End or Beginning?
Beginning of Forgiveness
Epilogue: More Than Surviving

Prison Break

370 14 13
By FireCloud3

    "That was easy. No ones out right now. There's about fourteen Fire-breathing dragons at the Smelters," reported little Wu, panting from his short scouting mission.

    The Ninja groaned.

    "That's so many," whined Jay.

    "But that is all the more dragons that could possibly transport us home," pointed out Zane.

    Cole glanced sorrowfully around the Pit. "There's still so many trapped in here too."

    "Can you please just bust us out so we can set the dragons free and get it over with?" pleaded Kai.

    The Earth Ninja shook his head. "Not after last night. It's clear the dragons aren't the only ones suffering."

    That sobered the Ninja's moods quite a bit. It was clear there were dark powers at work in this Realm and among the Dragon Hunters; or, in the very least, much tyranny, which were two things the Ninja could not stand.

    "Do you think Heavy Metal is okay?" questioned kid Wu, swaying on his feet a little.

    "Probably. Are you okay though?" asked Kai, focusing in on the child who was beginning to look ill.

    Wu waved him off, "Yeah, yeah. I think I was just out in the sun too long. I'm fine though." As soon as the words left his lips, he doubled over and threw up.

    That immediately sent all the Ninja into panic mode. 

    Zane scanned their young master, sharing the results, "It appears Master Wu is suffering from heat exhaustion. If left untreated it could progress into heat stroke, and eventually, death."

    That did not help any of the Ninjas' panic subside, especially when young Wu collapsed.

    "Quick! Pass me some water," ordered Cole, catching Wu before he hit the ground.

    He winced as he scooped the child into his arms. Wu's skin was cool and clammy, despite the blazing desert heat.

    Kai appeared doubtful as he passed him the small bowl of water they were allowed to have. "I'm not sure if this stuff is water. It tastes weird."

    "It's better than nothing," responded Cole, taking the water and splashing some on Wu's face in an attempt to rouse him.

    The young boy stirred, his eyes flickering open. He whimpered, "My head hurts."

    It was at that moment, Heavy Metal walked into view, frowning as he saw the foreigners still present. The multicolored Elementals all snapped their heads in his direction. He was about to nag them about leaving when the older, disguised "Dangerbuff" spoke urgently, presenting his ill-looking apprentice.

    "Can you help him? He needs water and a cool area."

    "Fine. Follow me," sighed Heavy Metal, after a moment of quiet deliberation. He mentally rolled his eyes as he motioned for Dangerbuff to follow him. Since when had he gone so soft? He was going to regret ever meeting these people, wasn't he? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    As Cole carried Wu inside a random hut, he winced at Heavy Metal's metallic voice bellowing, "Zahara!"

    The inside of the building was cluttered with dried leaves and other weird assortments of dead vegetation and animal parts. Though it was unsettling, it was obviously some sort of healer's abode.

    A deep but distinctly feminine voice groaned from the next room, "What now? Isn't everyone supposed to be sleeping?"

    A relatively tall woman emerged, pausing at the sight of the high-ranking officer. She frowned, appearing mildly puzzled. "Heavy Metal? You know I can't give you anything, right?"

    "Not for me. This apprentice was out in the sun too long," explained Heavy Metal, motioning to the kid in Cole's arms.

    Zahara checked the Wu over, chiding him, "Baby, you're not supposed to be wandering around at this hour. You're lucky you aren't sunburned."

    "Can I have some water?" begged Wu. At this point, he had a massive headache.

    The healer sighed, conflicted as she murmured to the "older Dangerbuff" and Heavy Metal, "Iron Baron's gonna notice if water is missing."

    Wow, Cole didn't think his dislike for the tyrant could grow anymore, yet here he was.

    "Just use my rations," waved Heavy Metal.

    "You sure, sweetie?" checked Zahara, raising a surprised eyebrow. The Hunters weren't exactly known for their charitable demeanors.

    The Hunter nodded, so Zahara sauntered out to go retrieve the water to help the apprentice. As soon as she was gone and before Cole could even ask why, Heavy Metal hushed him.

    "I am doing this because I need you all to leave and not tell the Hunters about what you saw last night."

    "I still don't know what exactly's going on," admitted Cole. Heavy Metal relaxed slightly at this, but Cole continued, "All I know is that you guys and the dragons need help."

    The Hunter rolled his eyes. These people were too tenderhearted and selfless. "We're fine. We don't need you messing up the delicate balance we've worked hard to create."

    "If we're causing you trouble, then why haven't you turned us in yet?" challenged the Earth Ninja.    

    Heavy Metal shrugged. "I guess you're finally something interesting that's happened outside of the normal routine." He added with an almost bitter chuckle, "And that's coming from someone who fights dragons almost every day just to survive."

    Cole spoke with an almost teasing grin, his words confirming Heavy Metal's worries, "Y'know, you're a whole lot nicer than you let on."

    "Don't mistake it for weakness. I can end you anytime I choose," growled Heavy Metal warningly as he placed his hand on the Dragonbone Blade.

    "Okay, okay." The Master of Earth held up his hands placatingly. After a brief moment of silence, he inquired, "How's your shoulder?"

    The Hunter jerked, taken aback by the genuine concern in his voice. "It's... fine." He shrugged, showing the complete movement of the joint. "I told you, this isn't new. If you want to survive, you learn fast how to take any sort of wound."

    Cole didn't have a chance to carry on the conversation as Wu whined, "When's the water coming?"

    "Zahara's probably having to haggle with Arkade," explained Heavy Metal. He commented on the apprentice's panting, "Try to control your breaths, kid."

    Wu laughed lightly, trying to do as instructed. "I'm older than you."

    Cole's eyes widened. That would take some explaining to do. 

    "Yeesh. Zahara better hurry up. He's speaking nonsense now," muttered the Hunter. He turned and noticed the look on the "Dangerbuff's" face. "What?"

    "I am!" argued Wu. "Even though I look like a child right now, I'm way older than both of you combined."

    "Really? And how's that?" questioned Heavy Metal, clearly not believing a word the young boy said. 

    "I'm the son of the First Spinjitzu Master," replied Wu.

    There was a stunned silence.

    "Wu," started Cole slowly, taking advantage of the Hunter's speechlessness, "do you remember... things?"

    The boy shrugged, rubbing his temples. His headache had subsided slightly. "Kinda... it's all fuzzy, but yeah, I remember a little more."

    "A–are you serious?" stuttered Heavy Metal. His wide eyes were flicking back and forth between the "Dangerbuffs."

    Neither Cole nor Wu had a chance to answer as Wu gave a sharp gasp. The boy was enveloped in a momentary, blinding flash. When the others could see clearly again, in his place was a young teen.

    As Wu stared in wonder at his older form, Cole turned to the absolutely bewildered Hunter. He grinned sheepishly, "So... yeah. Here's your proof."

    "So it's true," breathed Heavy Metal to himself. Under his mask, he allowed himself a small smile. 

    Loud, approaching footsteps snapped them all from their shock. Zahara was returning. 

    Acting quickly, Heavy Metal met her at the door, snatching the skin of water from the healer's hands.

    "Arkade is so stubborn," declared Zahara, nodding to the water-skin that was now in the other Hunter's possession. "It took me forever to haggle him for that."

    She was confused when Heavy Metal remained there, not allowing her to enter. "Uhm, can I help the kid now?"

    "It's fine. We've got it under control now that you got the water," said Heavy Metal, trying to appear calm and confident, though his words came out a bit hurriedly.

    "But—"

    The Hunter cut the healer off, "No, no. We're good." With that, he slammed the door.

    Zahara knocked. "I live here. You know that, right?" When she got no reply, she huffed, "Fine, I guess I'll go stay with Jagwire." She walked off, rolling her eyes at the entitled, high-ranking Hunter.

    After giving the water to the now teen Wu, Heavy Metal's mood shifted from astonished to urgent. He grabbed "Rocky Dangerbuff" by the shoulders, staring at him intently. "I don't know who you are and I don't care. All I need you to do is leave now." He pointed at Wu, "No one can know he is the son of the First Spinjitzu Master."

    "Why?" asked Wu.

    "Sometimes it's best not to ask questions," growled Heavy Metal, motioning for them to follow.

    As they walked through the camp. Wu nearly tripped multiple times due to the sudden, magical change in his body. Fortunately, he didn't have a headache or felt dizzy anymore. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Aaaaaah!" Jay screeched when their prison doors were suddenly kicked in.

    When the dust settled, there stood Heavy Metal. 

    "Friend! Totally called it!" blurted Jay.

    The three Ninja looked behind the Hunter, seeing Cole and... a-not-so-little Wu?

    "Wow!" grinned Kai as he took in Wu's new look. The boy's hair was long and white now. "You rock with that hair!"

    "I know! And look who's got longer legs." Right after Cole said that, he cringed. "Even as I'm saying that out loud, that's super weird, right?" 

    "With his augmented growth cycle, that's actually quite normal for a young teenager," stated Zane.

    "A teenager? Oh, now we're in for it," groaned Jay, remembering his own younger days.

    "Jay, we're still teenagers," pointed out Kai.

    "Yeah, but grown-up teenagers," debated Jay. "He's at the awkward voice crACk stage." It was at that inopportune moment that the Blue Ninja's voice cracked.

    "So are you, Zaptrap," laughed Cole.

    Once the laughter and teasing died down, Zane refocused them, addressing Heavy Metal who had stood there tolerantly, "What are you doing?"

    "Helping you," ground out Heavy Metal. This was so wrong and against everything a Hunter did.

    He turned and broke the lock from a nearby dragons cage while explaining, "You can't let them escape yet. Gather them up and wait for my signal. Most Hunters should be asleep and if all the dragons break out at once, there's no way they'll be ready. As soon as the chaos happens, take your dragon and flee. Iron Baron cannot get his hands on the son of the First Spinjitzu Master." 

    "I'm so confused. Why are you helping us?" asked Jay. 

    All the Ninja stared expectantly at the frustrated Hunter.

    Heavy Metal punched one of the locks with more force than necessary. "Iron Baron has a way to control us all. It's either his way, or you are cast out. But even besides that threat, you have no idea how much power he already holds here." 

    She pointed at Cole and Wu. "You heard the story of the Oni, Firstbourne, and the Dragon Armor. If Iron Baron gets that armor, he will control Firstbourne and then there'll be no stopping him. He's obsessed with power, and he won't hesitate to use the son of the First Spinjitzu Master to get his way."

    "You're scared of Iron Baron," observed Kai.

    "I am not scared of him," spat Heavy Metal, "I am scared of what will happen once he succeeds and I am no longer useful. Do not give him what he wants. He will ruin this Realm even more than it already is." His mask did nothing to disguise the pure hopelessness in his voice as he finished weakly, "I just want to survive."

    "Please," begged Wu, his new voice sounding much more mature, "let us help you." He motioned toward the Hunter who was still breaking the locks off cages. "You're risking a lot helping us, so we can repay you. We can get to the Dragon Armor before Iron Baron and take it to Ninjago where he'll never be able to get it."

    "Nin-jah-go?" sounded out Heavy Metal haltingly. The word was foreign to him.

    "It's a beautiful place. It's our home, and it's filled with life," described Cole.

    "And it was created by my father," added Wu. His happy smile fell as he spoke further. "At least, it used to be beautiful, before my brother soured it, which is why we need to return."

    "Then what is stopping you? Why risk your lives for this forsaken Realm while yours is in danger?" questioned Heavy Metal frustratedly.

    "Ugh, how many times do we hafta answer that?" sighed Jay. "We're hopeless do-gooders, so no matter how much you try to make us go, we won't." He pointed, almost accusingly, at Wu, "This guy made sure the first thing he hammered into our skulls was that 'Ninja never quit.'"

    The Hunter harrumphed resignedly, not willing to sort through or debate whatever mess the "neen-jah" brought. "Fine. Fire Master, come with me. The rest of you, keep releasing the Dragons here, but do not let a single one fly until you see the Smelter Dragons escape."

    "That's easier said than done, but we'll try," said Cole nervously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Why do you need me?" whispered Kai, as he crept behind Heavy Metal towards the Smelters.

    "You're a Fire Master. They'll respect you," explained the Hunter.

    He constantly scanned around, hoping none of the others were awake to see him commit such a rebellious act against the Tribe. Agh! Why was he behaving like this?! Clearly, the foreigners were not very beneficial for his simple survive, suffer, and die life plan.

    When they approached the Smelter, all the Dragons snapped to high-alert when they laid eyes on Heavy Metal. Angry hisses and growls could be heard through their metal muzzles. The Hunter merely rolled his eyes, "Ugh, always so uptight."

    As he raised his Dragonbone Blade, the Dragons jerked in alarm, some cowering while others pulled against their chains, trying to swat at the Hunter.

    "Fire Master, keep them quiet and still," ordered Heavy Metal.

    Kai stared at the restless reptiles. "What me?"

    "Yes, you have Fire so you should be able to connect with them, or something like that," shrugged Heavy Metal, leaving how the Elemental Master should accomplish the task entirely up to him. As a Lava Wyvern gave a harsh snarl, the Hunter snapped at the red-clad foreigner, "Keep them quiet!"

    Kai gulped, awkwardly holding up his hands, letting the Dragons see sparks dance around his fingers. Bonding with Ultra, an old friend, was one thing; but these fellows were complete strangers. At least Heavy Metal hadn't disengaged their muzzles yet, just their wing bindings so far, so the chances of them mauling his arm were slim. 

    He called softly, "Look, look." He caught the eye of what he assumed to be the "alpha" of the Smelter Dragons. "Yeah, hey. I'm a friend."

    The towering SkyWing lowered his scarred neck to gaze closer at the Elemental. Curiosity and wonder danced in his golden eyes. The little Fire Holder spoke gently with a warmth the elder Dragon had never heard before from his cruel captors.

    "We're gonna get you out of here, but you gotta trust me and stay quiet."

    The SkyWing contemplated his request. After a moment of staring down into the smaller creature's passionate, earnest eyes, he leaned forward and pressed his snout against the warm palm of the Elemental. 

    Kai was grinning from ear to ear and his pulse raced wildly. He knew it was no small thing to have the trust of a Dragon. There were no words to describe how remarkable it felt to make that connection and hear the SkyWing give him a deep, affectionate purr. In this Realm, a little kindness went a long way.

    "Hi, buddy. Let's getcha out of these chains."

    He looked toward Heavy Metal who was standing off to the side and marveling at how quickly and easily the Elemental gained the Dragon's trust. He assured the Hunter, "Okay, I think they'll be okay now."

    The Hunter raised his sword again, wincing at the loud clang that seemed to echo throughout the entire camp when he broke the chain. He spoke urgently, "There should be swords in that barrel. Take one and help me quickly."

    By some miracle, none of the probably sleeping sentries or any other Hunters were drawn to the noise. 

    "I know exactly where the rest of the Dragons are around camp. Wait here. If I get caught or something else happens, let the Fire Dragons fly,  get to others, and leave," commanded Heavy Metal.

    He didn't give the Fire Master a chance to reply as he turned and began to speedily sneak around camp. Somehow, someway, no one stirred despite the ruckus of him releasing the two dozen Dragons dotted around. Guess their late night had left the whole Tribe extra exhausted.

    However, when he returned to the Smelter, that was when all Underworld broke loose. Iron Baron was there, facing off against the Fire Master. Both were locked in such a ferocious stare down that neither noticed the Hunter. 

    In a surprising show of trust, though the all Fire Dragons were unchained, they hadn't taken to the skies yet. They fidgeted in place, awaiting the small Fire human's signal.

    "How did you escape?" demanded the Chief furiously, aiming a Chain Rifle at the red-clad Elemental.

    The Master of Fire didn't get a chance to answer as Heavy Metal made his presence known, brandishing his own Vengestone Rifle. Much to Kai's horror though, he pointed the weapon at him. Perhaps they had misjudged the Hunter's goodness.

    "Ah, Heavy Metal, perfect timing," commended Iron Baron, grinning in triumph. "Chain up these dragons and take the Elemental back to where he belongs."

    Without hesitation, Heavy Metal advanced forward. The Fire Dragons hissed, backing away. None dared to face or even attempt to escape from the feared Hunter; however, just as he had hoped, the bold Red "neen-jah" made a move.

    "No!" roared Kai, igniting his hands and rushing in to attack. He yelled to the Dragons, "Get outta here!"

    Heavy Metal dropped the Rifle to draw his Dragonbone Blade and face the Elemental.

    That distraction was all the Dragon's needed before they took flight in a frenzied manner. 

    Iron Baron began shouting and shooting wildly. His eyes bulged out of skull when he noticed the swarm of Dragons also escaping from the Pit. No way the foreigners could have wreaked such havoc on their own. There was a traitor in his midst.

    The mayhem awoke the entire Tribe as every Hunter came tumbling out of their huts, each disoriented but ready to fight for their lives.

    With Iron Baron busy trying to shoot down Dragons and direct the frantic Tribe, Heavy Metal pushed the Red Elemental back, shouting at him, "Make your escape now!"

    Kai's battle stance slackened as his fury was replaced with confusion. So he hadn't been betrayed? He gave the Hunter a grateful grin before racing through the mayhem to reach his brothers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Finally, by the time dusk began to settle, everything had drawn to a close. Only about half a dozen Dragons had been recaptured. There had been some bad burns, frostbite, or missing limbs inflicted in wrangling them. 

    Heavy Metal winced as he surveyed the damaged camp. Some of lizards had decided that being free wasn't enough and exacted vengeance upon the camp. Now the entire Tribe had to deal with the aftermath. About a dozen Hunters had been died in the wild chaos along with a few whose bodies had yet to be found.  

    He carefully treaded through the wrecked part of the palisade that surrounded the camp. There were human tracks mixed with a large Dragon's tracks that led out to the desolate south. Silently, he cursed the foreigners for leaving such an obvious trail and for not taking advantage of the chaos to escape the Realm.

    Iron Baron limped over beside him, eyes flashing with raw outrage. Unfortunately, he immediately caught sight at what his second in command was staring at. His expression darkened even more. In a fit of rage, he lashed out, striking the Hunter across the face. 

    He grit out in a low, dangerous tone, "Heavy Metal. Hunt. Them. Down."

    Heavy Metal recoiled slightly from the blow and readjusted his mask before obediently ducking his head and answering, "Yes, sir."

    He tried hurrying away to gather some supplies for tracking the Elementals when his leader halted him harshly. "No! You will go after them immediately."

    Somehow, despite knowing that this was a form of punishment for displeasing Iron Baron,  Heavy Metal couldn't help but feel relieved as he left the camp. Supplies or not, he would find a way to survive... probably. The thing that mattered was that he was away from Iron Baron.

    As he set his eyes toward the horizon and followed after the foreigners' and the Son of the First Spinjitzu Master's tracks, a strange, unfamiliar emotion swept over him. For once in his wretched life, he felt... hope?

I kind of wanted to keep Wu a child a little longer, but I figured this plot needs to finally get a move on. Sorry he wasn't that sassy, I wish I could write better. 

Also, tell me if you know where the characters Zahara and Jagwire are from? (They definitely aren't my own characters.) Your giant hint is: meatloaf musical

The next chapter is going to be a rough time for the Resistance.

    "Remember those in prison, as if you were there yourself. Remember also those being mistreated, as if you felt their pain in your own bodies." - Hebrews‬ ‭13:3‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 115 4
「COMPLETED」 Lloyd and Nya resist Emperor Garmadon's oppressive hold on Ninjago City. Harumi falls down the building, everyone saw her fall, but they...
333 1 13
rewrite will be on my profile soon cover is my art :) !! PLEASE READ 'THE 17TH REALM' BEFORE READING THIS STORY !! This is a continuation from my pre...
21K 557 32
Lloyd Garmadon holds the coveted title of the most powerful Elemental Master in Ninjago. But even in times of peace he can't seem to catch a break...
9.4K 136 6
「COMPLETED」 'Sequel to Hunted Ending | Season 9 AU' Bringers of doom, darkness, and destruction descend upon Ninjago, and all hope seems lost. The ni...