Elizabeth Harrison's Hope For...

By symhere

BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for... More

1: Mourning For Mother's Death
2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give
3: The Things She Left For Them
4: His Everyday Life
5: Doctors Are Not Gods
6: An Awkward Interaction
7: Her Savior
8: An Apology And A Slap
9: A Secret To Keep
10: The Pain He Is In
11: Like Mother, Like Daughter
12: Too Drunk To Think
13: The First Kiss
14: A Favor To Ask
16: People Change
17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings
18: Slapped
19: Is It Too Hard To Get?
20: The Kiss They Shared Again
21: Elizabeth's Crush
22: A New Friend, Maybe?
23: The Housewarming Party
24: Just Him And Her
25: The Morning After
26: Breakfast
27: Asked On A Date
28: The Help Fay Needs
29: He Can't Resist Her
30: So Close
31: Screw The Rules
32: Can We Talk?
33: Who Is Mia?
34: I Like You.
35: Don't Be Sorry For How You Feel.
36: Mia And Elizabeth.
37: Suspicion.
38: Date Night.
39: Eliza.
40: In The Name Of Love.
41: A Bloody Night.
42: All Hell Broke Loose.
43: The One They Lost.
44: You Do.
45: Blur.
46: The Funeral.
47: An Unexpected Visitor.
48: The Truth.
49: Lost Her.
50: Moving On.
51: The Complete Truth.
52: Yet You Know.
53: The News.
54: Something To Remember Me By.
55: A Unique Friendship.
56: Leo Is Here.
57: Leo Knows.
58: Drunken Leo.
59: The Cold Night.
60: Leo Meets Fred.
61: The Unexpected Guest.
62: A Surprise Visit.
63: Ice Cream.
64: Elizabeth's Visitor.
65: Tattoos and Realization.
66: Unwanted Interruption.
67: Missing You.
68: Jen's Confession.
69: Wedding Planner.
70: Elizabeth's Realization.
71: Deal.
72: The Unexpected Guest.
73: Bonding.
74: Confession.
75: Jealousy.
76: Pain of the Past.
77: Breakfast And Kisses.
78: Ruby's Gift.
79: The Last One.
Epilogue.

15: The Key They Both Didn't Have

850 39 0
By symhere

Leo blinked once – twice before he knitted his eyebrows together, "Wait, what?" He wasn't sure what Dr. Griffiths just asked him to do. Ethan chuckled – he expected this kind of reaction from Dr. Wayne – but he really needs to ask him this favor. "I know it isn't your job to do that, but can you please take Miss Harrison to her new apartment? She isn't familiar with the route. I was supposed to take her but I have an important meeting to attend. Since you already know her personally – I thought maybe you could help." He repeated himself. Leo was silent for a few seconds – he can't do that. He has decided to ignore Elizabeth at all possible costs. After what happened between them last night – he has decided to never cross paths with her.

"Why doesn't she use navigator?" Leo asked what first came to his mind. It is an era of technology and since Elizabeth can drive there shouldn't be any problem for her to find her own way and Leo hardly doubts that Elizabeth would want him near her either. Last night was embarrassing for both of them. Ethan had a feeling that Leo would point it out. He nodded his head, "That's what Elizabeth suggested but I am not sure she will okay in the new city by herself. It would be better if someone helps her to get to her new place." Ethan suggested.

Leo sighed, "Why does it have to be me?" He asked. Ethan paused before he chuckled and scratched his eyebrow, "I am sorry – I thought you are the only person who actually knew her before she moved her except for me, so I came to you." He replied. Leo mashed his lips, "Okay, I would have helped but I am busy after duty." He replied – he wasn't lying. He had plans and even if he didn't – he would have made any excuse to stay away from her.

Ethan should have thought that his plan might not work. As he stood there silently – he felt stupid. He is a grown man. He is mature enough to think so childishly – especially because of a girl he didn't even realize he had feelings for before today. He wasn't going to ask Leo anymore – he was embarrassed enough that he tried to pull it off. Ethan cleared his throat, "I just didn't want her to be in any trouble in the new city – that's it. But, if you really can't then it's okay. I will ask somebody else." Ethan added but in real – he felt miserable. At one hand he knows how childish he was being, but on the other hand being childish didn't seem so bad to him for the first time – he was ready to pull something so stupid and it concerns him. He never thought like this before. He doesn't get it why all of the sudden the idea of Dr. Wayne and Amanda was bothering him so much, but it was – he felt inadequate for failing to make Dr. Wayne go so he and Amanda can't go to the dinner tonight.

Leo was silent – he wanted to just nod and walk away but knowing how Elizabeth tends to put herself in trouble whenever she is alone made him feel somehow uneasy. From all the interactions Leo had with Elizabeth – he had noticed how witlessly she makes her decisions. He knows that she will be safe but still there was something that was bothering him and he couldn't put his finger on it. After what happened last night the two of them he is actually scared to be around her – scared because last night he didn't kiss her back just because he was wasted. He knew what he was doing. There were sirens going in his head to just push her away and he tried but he couldn't resist her for long. Leo doesn't know what it is about her that pulled him towards her. He doesn't know what made him but he wanted to devour her and it scares him.

Leo doesn't want to be attracted to anyone yet alone Elizabeth Harrison. He doesn't like her – he is supposed to abhor her and he is afraid if he keeps close to her – he might not be able to do that. All he had to do was tell Ethan that he was sorry and walk away but, of course, Leo isn't a simple man – he is complicated. He blew his cheek out and rubbed his eyes, "Fine – okay, I will pick her up and drop her to her new apartment, but that's it. I will not go up to her place." Leo concurred – he was cursing himself in his head – repeatedly.

Ethan couldn't believe Leo actually agreed and smiled, "Thank you so much, Dr. Wayne. I really owe you for this one. I will message you the details about the building she will be moving to. Once again, thank you – I really appreciate your help." Ethan put his hand on his shoulder cursory before he nodded and walked pass Leo – taking a deep breath.

It has been more than an hour and still, no one has shown up to take Elizabeth to her new place. She was already exhausted from drinking last night and her head was pounding. She just wanted to get her own place, change into her sweatpants and go to sleep without thinking about anything that happened last night. It was embarrassing and she should stop thinking about it. She sighed and rested her head on the wall behind as she waits outside Ethan's office. Her backside was getting sore so she gets up on her feet just to sit back down as she sees the person walking right towards her. She gasped and her eyes widened as she put her hand on her mouth, "No, shit!" She whispered and gets up, collects her handbag and sprint. "What is he doing here?" She mumbled to herself as she tries to find a place to hide from Leo. "Why is he here?" She whispered as she panicked.

She was running out of time and in her panicked state she saw a table outside of the rooms. Without even thinking she squats down and huddled herself as she tried to hide beside it. She put her hand over her mouth and kept snugging down to keep herself away from Leo's sight. She gritted her teeth and smacked at her forehead, "What the hell are you doing, Elizabeth?" She whispered to herself. Why was she hiding like someone was here to kill her?

"That's exactly what I was wondering." Elizabeth heard Leo's voice and just a couple of seconds after he slowly walked and stopped right in front of her. She closed her eyes and put her face on her hand as she awkwardly sat on the cold floor. "You know that I saw you getting up then sitting down, then once again getting up and run – like I was there to kill you and hide behind this tiny table, right?" He asked calmly as he had his hands in his pocket. Elizabeth sighed. Nothing could save her from this embarrassment and looked up at him, "Please don't embarrass me more – I have had enough." She spoke softly. Leo was silent for few seconds as he averted his gaze away from her and looked back at her couple seconds later, "Get up, I am here to pick you to take you to your new apartment." He said.

Elizabeth widened her eyes – she is not obtuse – she immediately realized that Ethan sent 'him' to take her home – which was completely unacceptable for her. She shook her head, "Nope – I am not going with you." She said while was still on the floor. Leo narrowed his eyes, "Wouldn't that be a dream come true for both of us?" He asked collectedly. "I will go there by myself – you really don't have to come with me." She replied. Leo sighed, "Can you please first get up on your feet? It is very hard to take you seriously when you look like that." He pointed out.

She looked down at herself to see that her skirt has risen up a little. She immediately got on her feet as Leo stepped back. She straightened her pencil skirt down as well as ran her fingers through her hair before getting her handbag from the floor. She sighed, "Why did he send you here?" She complained. Leo rolled his eyes, "I really didn't want to be here either, alright?" He replied. Elizabeth tsk and shrugged, "You could have said no." She said. Leo sighed, "I did, but he insisted." He replied. Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders, "You could have still said no," She answered back. Leo was silent as he looked at her. She glanced at him. She doesn't get it how he was being so calm and collected when literally he had his tongue wandering around my mouth last night. How is he not bothered by the fact that he made out with another woman when he has a girlfriend and a child – what kind of a sick man he is? Leo gave her a one-sided shrug while he still had his hands in his pocket, "I should have but now I can't take it back so, can we go now please?" He asked her.

Elizabeth narrowed her eyes – she has been restless to know what was going on in his head – why was he pretending that nothing happened between us last night? She sighed exasperatedly and closed her eyes briefly before she spoke, "How are you so unaffected from what happened between us last night?" She had to ask him. Leo raised his eyebrow and glanced away before replying, "I was hoping we wouldn't discuss that. It was a mistake." He replied. "I was drunk and so were you – alcohol took over us and we acted irrationally, that's it." He added. "Now, can you please hurry up? I have somewhere else to be after this." He said.

Elizabeth breathed out and nodded – he was right she was being paranoid. It was a mistake, but she can't cover up the fact that he cheated on someone else with her – she was 'that' woman. "Leo, I know it was a mistake but doesn't it bother you that either you were under the influence of alcohol or not – we still made out, "She lowered her voice, "Being drunk doesn't give anyone right to cheat," She added. Leo narrowed his eyes, "Cheated? I didn't cheat on anyone – did you?" He asked. Elizabeth was stunned by how ignorant he was being – she chuckled humorlessly, "No, I did not but you did, Leo Wayne." She pointed out. "How can you forget about your girlfriend and your child? Oh my God, I am a horrible person and so are you." She put hands on each side of her face. "I made out with a committed man." She mumbled to herself.

Leo looked at Elizabeth bewilderedly, "Listen to me, Miss Harrison – I didn't cheat on anyone. I am not that kind of a person. I don't have a girlfriend." He answered her back. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes, "But I talked to her when you left your phone in my car the other day." He replied back. Leo realized she was talking about Mia and sighed, "Listen – she is not my girlfriend." He replied. Leo wasn't in any mood to explain his complicated life to her nor does he have to – it should matter here.

Elizabeth folded her arm on her chest and tilted her head as she glared at him. She knows the man like Leo well – he isn't any different from Freddie. "Sure, she is not." She replied sarcastically. "But, somehow I don't believe you. That poor girl," She mumbled under her breath. Leo narrowed his eyes, "You don't have to. It doesn't concern you. Now, can you please hurry up – as I told you before I have somewhere else to be." Leo said sternly and turned around before walking towards the elevator – only for Elizabeth to make faces at him behind his back.

"I have my own car. I will lead you to your apartment – you can follow me there. Is that okay with you?" Leo asked once they reached the parking lot. They haven't exchange any word all the way to here – they both were completely silent. Elizabeth was still uncomfortable around him but he somehow looked unaffected and collected. Elizabeth didn't want to be in the same car as him, so she agreed with Leo and went to get in her own car. Leo waited at the exit for Elizabeth to get behind him before he moves out. Once he saw her car approaching him, he accelerated the car. He couldn't wait to get over with this and join Amanda and Gavin at the restaurant.

Elizabeth was fuming as she followed him to her new place. She should be excited but her mood was worsened because of Leo. He reminded her of Freddie. He cheated on her and because of him, she is unable to trust any other guy. Leo never corrected her when they encountered at the Hotel before and she called that woman with a child his girlfriend. He didn't even correct her when she told him about a phone call she received on his phone from his girlfriend. How was he saying that he doesn't have a girlfriend? Elizabeth had a very strong feeling that he lied to her and she detests man or woman that cheats on their partners. She has been through the pain that unfaithfulness caused her.

It wasn't a long drive – it hardly took her fifteen minutes to reach her new place and she was in awe when she looked up at the building standing tall. She sighed and smiled, "Finally my own place," She whispered to herself. She parked the car just below the building and glanced at Leo's car that was parked at a distant. She got out of her car and walked towards him as he rolled down his window, "Thank you," She said to him. Leo sighed and nodded his head before he started to roll her window up, but Elizabeth stopped him, "Wait – wait, give me the keys before you go." She asked him before she stretched her hand out.

Leo frowned as stared at her, "What keys?" He asked. Elizabeth looked at him absurdly, "What do you mean what keys? The keys to my apartment," She replied. Leo raised his eyebrow and shrugged, "Why would I have it?" He asked while his hands were on the steering. "Ethan didn't give it to you?" She asked him to which he simply shook his head no. "I don't have them either," She mumbled. Leo sighed and Elizabeth frowned, "Great," Leo said sarcastically. "Dammit," Elizabeth said at the same time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224K 16.2K 69
*** Spoiler Alert - This is book two in the trilogy, so please do not read below until you have read Out of the Shadows [book one] *** *** All of th...
136K 10.6K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕜 & 𝕃𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
282K 5.6K 62
He's a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "love." She's a girl who's scared to know what the meaning of the word "love" is. Add them...
186 17 17
Bella is the girl who lost everything to cancer, and her world suddenly revolves around her sickness. She lost her friends, her mother, her confidenc...