Elizabeth Harrison's Hope For...

By symhere

BOOK FOUR OF HARRISON SERIES. Elizabeth has been looking after her alcoholic and pathological liar mother for... More

2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give
3: The Things She Left For Them
4: His Everyday Life
5: Doctors Are Not Gods
6: An Awkward Interaction
7: Her Savior
8: An Apology And A Slap
9: A Secret To Keep
10: The Pain He Is In
11: Like Mother, Like Daughter
12: Too Drunk To Think
13: The First Kiss
14: A Favor To Ask
15: The Key They Both Didn't Have
16: People Change
17: New Neighbors, Old Feelings
18: Slapped
19: Is It Too Hard To Get?
20: The Kiss They Shared Again
21: Elizabeth's Crush
22: A New Friend, Maybe?
23: The Housewarming Party
24: Just Him And Her
25: The Morning After
26: Breakfast
27: Asked On A Date
28: The Help Fay Needs
29: He Can't Resist Her
30: So Close
31: Screw The Rules
32: Can We Talk?
33: Who Is Mia?
34: I Like You.
35: Don't Be Sorry For How You Feel.
36: Mia And Elizabeth.
37: Suspicion.
38: Date Night.
39: Eliza.
40: In The Name Of Love.
41: A Bloody Night.
42: All Hell Broke Loose.
43: The One They Lost.
44: You Do.
45: Blur.
46: The Funeral.
47: An Unexpected Visitor.
48: The Truth.
49: Lost Her.
50: Moving On.
51: The Complete Truth.
52: Yet You Know.
53: The News.
54: Something To Remember Me By.
55: A Unique Friendship.
56: Leo Is Here.
57: Leo Knows.
58: Drunken Leo.
59: The Cold Night.
60: Leo Meets Fred.
61: The Unexpected Guest.
62: A Surprise Visit.
63: Ice Cream.
64: Elizabeth's Visitor.
65: Tattoos and Realization.
66: Unwanted Interruption.
67: Missing You.
68: Jen's Confession.
69: Wedding Planner.
70: Elizabeth's Realization.
71: Deal.
72: The Unexpected Guest.
73: Bonding.
74: Confession.
75: Jealousy.
76: Pain of the Past.
77: Breakfast And Kisses.
78: Ruby's Gift.
79: The Last One.
Epilogue.

1: Mourning For Mother's Death

4.2K 71 0
By symhere

Elizabeth stood in the corner as the mourners' sauntered in the garden area. The mumbling around and the indifferent gazes were making Elizabeth sick to her stomach. She needed to get away from everyone, so she excused herself into the house. She could feel the eyes on her as she walked away. The hushed atmosphere in the house-made her sigh. The state of quietude was composing enough, but still, the sick feeling within didn't budge. It has been a week since her mother committed suicide and since then Elizabeth has been trying to find peace, but even in ideal ambiance – she is still anxious. She takes her sunglasses off and walks to her room and closes the door behind. It has been a week since she cried. She saw her mother lying in a coffin – pale and insensate, but still she could shed a single tear. For the past week relatives and friends have been pouring their condolences to her – telling her how well her mother raised her and her brothers, mentioning how soon and tragically her mother passed, but still, she could cry. She wasn't bottling up her feelings – she wasn't concealing the pain of loss – she just couldn't cry – no matter how many times she thinks about her mother's death.

Ruby Harrison's death has been the 'talk of the week'. After David Simpson released a book about her family – she was labeled as the monster-in-law of the century, she has been called a negligent and greedy mother. The world found a new real-life villain. Ruby was already unwell and the sudden release of the book completely devastated her. Now that she committed suicide – everyone is talking about how tragically her life ended. Elizabeth doesn't know if she wants to cry or to laugh at the audacity of the gossipers – some of those are sadly Ruby's and her family's close friends and relatives.

She couldn't sleep either. There have been nights when she didn't even blink asleep – she just lay on the bed till the morning arrives. Maybe it is all because of a shortage of sleep that she is unable to cry. It might have caused her dry eyes. That's what Elizabeth has been doing for the last few days – she has been medically justifying her condition. Elizabeth pecked through the curtains and out of the window to see relatives and friends attending her mother's memorial service. She is certain that most of them don't even care. Some of them must be here for drama, while others are here to be noticed by the press waiting outside the house and some are here because their relationship with my mother obligated them to be there to remember her. Elizabeth was quietly watching them enjoying the drinks and the supper. Her eyes averted to her father, who was silently standing in the corner beside the tree her mother once planted. Silas was talking to their relative while Maria and Charlie made sure that the guests were being properly served.

She turned her head towards the closed door when she heard a knock. "Come in," She said and moved to the center of the room. The door opened and there stood her elder brother, Marcus. She offered him a small tight smile which he returned as he stepped inside before closing the door behind. He didn't speak – he just sat on the edge of the bed and let out a sigh. His slightly red eyes met his sister as he motioned her to sit beside him. "You have been crying," Elizabeth stated the obvious. Marcus sighed and rested his elbow on his knees as Elizabeth sat beside him, "She was our mother, Liza. It is okay to cry." He said. Elizabeth sniggered, "Don't get me wrong, Marcus. I am not crying – not because I am detaining my emotions, but because I simply can't." She shrugged.

Marcus nodded his head, "I know – I get that." He spoke. Elizabeth twisted her lips as she played with her fingers. Both of the siblings sat wordlessly. Elizabeth has never been too verbal with Marcus as she has been to Silas. Marcus has always been the elder responsible brother and she has been spoiled and carefree for most of her life. Even though, he is her half-brother – he never behaved like he wasn't one of us nor we made him feel until my mother played her evil cards. But, even after that Marcus has always been there for her. He was her support system. They never communicate much verbally, but so many times they have shown each other just how much they both love each other and their lack of interaction never diminished respect and love for him in her heart. She didn't have to vocalize her endearments to him. But, their relationship got dented after their mother made her and her family believe that he cheated on her wife with Maria, his brother's wife. Her mother made her hate the brother who has always been there for her selfish reasons. And that left hesitation between them and even after years they couldn't overcome it.

Elizabeth looked down at her finger and blew out her cheek, "How is dad doing?" She asked him. Since she and her family flew back to London she didn't talk to anyone about her mother. "He is quiet. I know he is not okay," He answered without looking at his sister. Elizabeth gulped and licked her lips and without looking at her brother in the eyes – she asked, "And how are you doing?" She asked him. Marcus sighed and turned his head to look at her, but Elizabeth never met his eyes.

Ruby ruined Marcus's life – her inner greed and jealousy shattered Marcus and Maria's lives. He might have called her a mother and she did act as she cared for him, but what no one knew was that Ruby hated Marcus since he was not Harrison by blood. She was blinded by greed and measure love by the thickness of blood and that's where she lost the mother within herself. "I am upset. I miss her and I will always miss her." He answered her. Elizabeth turned her head to look at him. She knitted her eyebrows together, "You will always miss her as a mother or as an avaricious person who tried to destroy your life?" She asked him and for a second he was lost of words. He didn't know how to reply to her. After a couple of seconds, she sighed, "I can never forget what she did to me. Her each hateful word, her glares, her unjust behavior towards me as I grew – I will never forget any of those things," He continued, "But, I can also not forget the time she showed affection to me when she cared for me – it might have happened for a short period but I can never forget all the good memories I have of her. I don't want to remember her just as a villain. She and dad adopted me when my biological parents abandoned me – how can I ever forget that?" He replied. Elizabeth could see his eyes getting teary.

Elizabeth put her arm around his shoulder and gently rubbed his arm, "I am sorry, Marcus. I have been unjust to you as well. I believed all the lies she displayed for us. You have always been there for me and I should have at least listened to you," She spoke. It was the first time after so many years when she was having a heart to heart conversation with him. Marcus smiled and embraced her in a gentle hug, "I am your brother, Lizzy. No matter what happens I and Silas will always be there for you." He spoke. Elizabeth closed her eyes as they started to get moist. For the first time in days – she felt like crying.

The bedroom door opened after a brief knock and Charlie walked in. A smile spread on Elizabeth's lips as her eyes traveled to her tiny baby bump. Marcus and Elizabeth pulled away. She sniffed and stood up before fixing her black pencil skirt, "Hey," She spoke softly. Charlie offered her a small yet sad smile and walked closer, "Everyone is asking for you, Elizabeth." She said to her as she gently rubbed her hand on Elizabeth's arm – comforting her. Marcus got up on his feet, "Let go, Lizzy. We should say goodbye to some of our relatives before we leave," Marcus said as he stood beside Charlie and put his hand around her shoulder. Elizabeth heaved and nodded her head – no matter how much she doesn't want to join them – she knows she has to. Elizabeth and Owen will be leaving with Marcus, Silas, Charlie, and Maria for New York – they stayed here for Ruby. Now that she is gone – there is no reason for them to stay behind.

The memorial ended and all of their relatives and friends left. Ruby's sister, Monica was the last one to left – after she was gone the Harrison gathered in the lounge of the house. It was cold that day in London. It has been three days since the sun has been hiding behind the gray clouds. The weather was just as glum as the spirit of the family. Everyone sits quietly. No one was talking to each other – each one of the Harrison was mourning on their own. None of the siblings talked about their mother since they came to London for the funeral. Elizabeth felt claustrophobic. The ambiance around her was so morose. She could feel her mother's absences around her.

Maria stood up with the help of her crutches, "I will make something for you all – no one has eaten anything for the whole day." She said. Silas held her by her wrist and made her sit beside her, "Hey, it is okay – you don't have to." He said as he gently pressed his lips against her temple.

"We have to eat. She is right." Owen, their father spoke for the first time after spending almost the entire day wordlessly. He turned his head to look at Maria and smiled softly, "You don't have to cook for us, Maria. The cooks will prepare dinner and we will all eat together – like we used to." His voice wobbled, but he controlled it. He cleared his throat, "Charlie, you should take some rest. You have been on your feet all day long," He said to Charlie who sat beside Marcus – who had his hand over the tiny baby bump. "Dad, you need to rest as well," Marcus said to him. Owen nodded as he stood up on his feet, "Yes, dinner preparation might take time. I better rest my eyes for a while." He replied. Elizabeth looked at his father's glossy red eyes – she knows he will not sleep but cry – that's what he has been doing for a week. Owen walked towards the restroom before he went in and closed the door behind him.

Owen hasn't slept in his room since the day returned. Ruby slit her wrist and died in their bedroom's bathroom. He hasn't been to their room since he returned. "We have an early flight tomorrow," Silas spoke. Elizabeth looked at her brother as he continued, "I have to make sure that the media doesn't know about us leaving for New York." He told everyone. Marcus and Charlie nodded their head. Maria sighed, "Elizabeth, if you and Owen want to stay for more days then –" Elizabeth didn't let her complete and shook her head, "No, I don't want to." She replied short. This house was suffocating her. Her mother's absence was making such a vivid point that it was hurting her. She had to go away and so did her father. She stood up on her feet, "I need some fresh air," She announced before she walked out to the garden area.

She needed to get out of the house – it has been a week and the house was stifling her. She inhaled deeply as soon as she was exposed to the cold and fresh air. She looked up at the dark sky and sighed. When she was young her mother used to say that people who die turn into stars – but tonight there were no stars in sight. Elizabeth gulped, "Are you happy now?" She questioned her mother. She was replied by the silence. She shook her head and moved towards the pool area where she hides her cigarettes and sometimes alcohol. She always used to hide them from her mother's reach – she had a history of addiction and she didn't want her to get back on the foul track. "Now that you are not here anymore – I can have as many as I want." She mumbled. She kneed down and took out the wooden box from behind the bushes. She opened it to see her cigarettes and a small bottle of whiskey was still in the box. She took the cigarette and the lighter out before putting the box back behind the bushes. She lights the cigarette and smokes it before letting out a puff of smoke. She sighed as she felt the strong flavor in her mouth – it has been a while she smoked. She closed her eyes and leaned to the bench as she sits on the wet grass.

"Are you smoking again?" She was startled by Silas's voice. She put her hand on her chest and turned around to see him standing behind with his hands in his pockets. "You scared me," She told him. She turned back around and looked at the lightened cigarette. "And yes, I am. I deserve this." She replied. She heard him sigh and sat beside her. She looked at him looking up in the sky. He narrowed his eyes, "Do you think she is up there?" He asked. Elizabeth heaved and looked at the sky again before shrugging, "I don't know." She replied. "If she is – I can't see her." She added. Silas nodded his head. "Maybe she is hiding from us," Silas and Elizabeth turned their heads to see Marcus standing behind them. He was also looking up at the night sky. He sighed and turned his head to look at his siblings. He knitted his eyebrow, "You are smoking again," He pointed out causing her to roll her eyes and Silas to chuckle. "Yes, I am." She replied short. Marcus nodded his head and sat down on the grass beside them. All three of them were quiet as they sit on the wet grass and stare at the gloomy sky, but their presence was loud enough – they were there with each other.

....

HEY! Since Wattpad decided to close my previous account for no apparent reason, I have to publish all of my work back on Wattpad again. This book is completed on Radish. I am putting the entire book back on Wattpad but if you want to read it now, then you can find it on Radish! Thank you. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 7.4K 31
[Book 2 in the Secret series] "That's not what I meant..." I chew on my lip. "Well, what the fuck did you mean then?" He shouts. "When I'm there I d...
224K 16.2K 69
*** Spoiler Alert - This is book two in the trilogy, so please do not read below until you have read Out of the Shadows [book one] *** *** All of th...
53.4K 1.3K 43
Charlie gives birth to a beautiful baby girl. Maria is marrying Silas, again. Elizabeth is still trying to move on after the incident this time hand...
282K 5.6K 62
He's a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "love." She's a girl who's scared to know what the meaning of the word "love" is. Add them...