One {Mark Sloan}

By Alteate

"Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities... More

Prologue
The Push
Beginning
Mess
Syria
My Only Family
Staying Alive
Prom Queen
What I Am
Friends
M&M
Over
Ashes
Planting a Seed
Fighters
Death Wish
The Feeling Of Suffocation
The Chief of Surgery
Toxins
The Past
OPINIONS
Daphnie Miller
The right decision
The Man
Reyansh Deo
Time After Time
Intern Exam
The Date
Hangout Spot
Drunk Mark
Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty
Nara
Meet the Fosters
Miss Grumpy
COVERS PART 2
A Change is Gonna Come
Happy Birthday
Big Boys
Downfall Of Arrogance
To Die Or Not To Die
Hurricane Amelia
Sane Advice
The Art Of Lookin'
Bridal Fights
Stronger
Pushy And Rude
Daddy Issues
Unlucky
Without You
Turning A New Page
Flattery
The Birthday Party
New Rules
Like Me Better
Everything Has Changed
Mark and Ren
Mama Shepherd
Still on My Brain
Happy Ending
Come Together
Slipping into Darkness
Stand By Me
The People That We Love
Let Us Move On
Should I Or Should I Not?
Hell Of A Life
This Wedding Day
An Authors Note
Agree To Disagree
Author's Note
Future Nostalgia
Cold As Ice
Gone Too Soon
Powerless
Wrong Call

Begin Again

3.9K 145 23
By Alteate

I am publishing this chapter again as I found little grammatical mistakes and I also think that many people didn't get the notification as Wattpad was being a bitch yesterday! 🤷🏻‍♀️

(This chapter is before Everything Has Changed)

"Erica and I, we did it last night....well sort off,"

Callie sat in front of Renee who was making notes from her Oncology textbook and didn't even look up once from her book after Callie had sat down. Callie watched as Renee ignored her and pushed her glasses on the bridge of the nose and continued taking notes, she had just visited Mark who wasn't of any use and Renee was her last and only hope. Callie waited for a few moments hoping that Renee would acknowledge her but the oncologist continued doing her work.

"Why are you acting like this?" Callie asked as she looked around to see Derek sitting on one of the benches. She looked at Renee and then back at Derek before she sighed and went to Derek's table. Renee looked up and took a deep breath before continuing writing, she thought that Callie went away but Callie went to Derek's table in the hope of some help or advice.

"Dr Foster, I am your resident of the day," Renee looked up to see O'Malley standing in front of her with a huge smile. It was O'Malley's first day of being a resident and he was very happy and Renee couldn't help but feel proud of him even though she didn't have any role in his achievement.

"Dr O'Malley, congratulations. Sit, here's the chart, read it and make sure your incompetent interns know the patient's history," Renee handed the chart to George who at once flipped through the pages.

"This tumour is close to the Spinal cord," George pointed at the black mass on the X-Ray.

"Yes, Spinal cancer, rare but it affects about 24,000 Americans per year,"

"Should I page Dr Shepherd for a consult?"

"Dr Shepherd was busy with his photo session, Dr Nelson will be assisting for surgery,"

"But I think we should have Dr Shepherd take a look-"

"O'Malley, who's the attending?" Renee asked sternly.

"Sorry Dr Foster, I'll see you during rounds,"

"He looked like he was about to cry,"

Renee looked up to see Derek and Callie standing together with somewhat guilty faces, she absolutely had no interest in talking to either Derek or Callie and this time she had decided to not let the emotional side of her win. She had done a lot of planning behind Ilaria's birthday but nobody(except Mark) bothered to show up and if it wasn't for Mark's call, they wouldn't have even shown up. She hadn't expected much, she had wished that they'd show up and celebrate an important day with Renee and her daughter and she had wished Ilaria would spend it with her family.

"Come on Renee," Derek said when she started to walk away.

"What?"

"We are sorry," Callie said.

"No, I didn't ask you to do anything, I had just asked for you to show up. You had one job, you just had to show up but you didn't even do that. You didn't have any decency that you'd call to at least inform that you won't be coming,"

"I didn't think it'll be that big of a deal," Derek said.

"That's the thing, everything is about Derek and Callie and their worlds. When the world falls over them they go to Renee to solve it and Renee helps them keeping everything aside. What about me? You call yourself my best friends but do either of you know what's going on in my life or have you even bothered to know? No. I am not some kind of dustbin in which you dump all your problems. I can't believe that I am saying this but right now it's Mark Sloan who's standing by me and helping me while you two couldn't even come to the birthday of your own god-daughter,"

"You told me that this surgery could save my wife.....and now you're telling me that she's dead,"

"We are extremely sorry, Mr Green but we tried everything we could. There was a huge risk factor with the surgery and we had info-"

"So, you're telling me that I killed my wife by agreeing to the surgery you suggested,"

"That is not what Dr Foster was saying,"

"O'Malley," Renee shook her head. The man was angry and he had every right to shout and scream.

"I am filing a case against you and the hospital, I will strip you people down for killing my wife,"

"Mr Green, your wife's death-"

"You will talk to my lawyers,"

"Hey, sweetheart,"

Renee was sitting on the floor of the daycare as she watched Ilaria played with the different alphabets, it had been a difficult day of her as if the argument with Callie and Derek wasn't enough, the husband of a patient, who died during surgery, sued her and the hospital. She needed to go to Richard's office in about 15 minutes but decided to visit Ilaria to calm her mind down.

"Mama," Ilaria said as she held a square toy towards her.

"O my, yes that's right, mama," Renee said as her eyes welled up a little.

"Dr Foster this case...why are you crying?" George asked.

"Mama," Ilaria repeated.

"She spoke," George exclaimed as Ilaria clapped her hands.

"That's so precious," George said as he sat beside Ilaria and she climbed in his lap suddenly interested in his stethoscope.

"Dr Foster to Dr Webber's office. Dr Foster to Dr Webber's office,"

"Let's go deal with the legal department,"

"I'll stay with her," George said.

"Thank you, O'Malley, I owe you,"

"Renee, this is Benjamin Sheilds, our hospital's lawyer,"

"Dr Foster," Benjamin shook hands with Renee as she took a seat on Richard's couch. Benjamin took his seat opposite her and Richard sat beside him. She watched as Benjamin laid out various papers and arranged them skillfully and after a minute or so he took out a pen from his coat pocket and placed it over the papers.

"We talked to Mr Green and explained it to him through both medical and legal point of view,"

"What legal point of view?" Renee asked.

"If the accusations made by Mr Green are false and are proven wrong we could legally file a case against him for defamation," Benjamin said with a small frown.

"That man lost his wife, he was angry and he complained because of that, you can't file a case against someone who went through that-"

"And we understand but Mr Green went on the internet and wrote a long post on how this hospital and you killed his wife using malpractices," Richard said as Benjamin handed Renee what seemed to be a printout of Mr Green's post. It was filled with filthy and demeaning crude words for the hospital and for her, Renee sighed as she looked over at Richard, he was right she could easily sue Mr Green for defamation.

"What was the medical point of view?" Renee asked.

"We asked the scrub nurses in the OR for their notes and according to their notes, all the procedures done in there were by the textbook and Mr Sheilds over here has ruled out any possibility of malpractice according to the State of Washington,"

"So I am not getting sued?"

"No, and neither is the hospital," Benjamin said as he slid the papers over to Renee.

"Before you sign, Dr Foster, are you going to sue Mr Green for defamation? Dr Webber has already turned it down,"

"No, the man already lost his wife. I am not taking anything else from him,"

"I'll do the rest of the paperwork," Benjamin said as Renee handed him the signed papers.

"Thank you, Mr Sheilds. Chief, I need to take your leave, I left Ilaria under the care of O'Malley and I don't know how long can the poor chap handle her," Renee smiled at Richard and Benjamin before walking out of the office.

"Who's Ilaria?" Benjamin asked.

"Dr Foster's daughter,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

962K 21.4K 148
Born in Philly, raised in New York, and now packing up her Bostonian life for the Emerald City. Freshly graduated from her fellowship at Harvard Medi...
23.4K 315 16
so this starts off by Derek choosing Addison over Meredith.A lot of tragic things happen to meredith which makes derek realize he loves her but never...
2.9K 49 35
Mark took a step forward, his expression intense. "Lexie, don't make me choose between you and her." Lexie recoiled slightly, as if the words themsel...
26.3K 705 22
"You were like coming up for fresh air. It was like I was drowning and you saved me." ~Derek Shepherd Melissa Gordon is a surgical intern at Seattle...