Yellow Badger [3]// Harry Pot...

By BelleTheTeaDrinker

╔ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╗ ║ Book Three ║ ║ of ║ ║ Four ║ ╚ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╝ H... More

Disclaimer:
The Nottingham Goose fair
The Attack
The Meeting of the Order.
Platform 9 and 3/4
Is that Pink or Purple?
The Stamp of Ministry Approval
Something's Not Right...
Tryouts 1995
The Rise of Umbridge.
Dictatorship in Motion
Dumbledore Vs Umbridge, Round One
Saturday Rendezvous
Room of Requirement
Small changes, Big effects
Mr. Weasley
Educational Decree Number Twenty-Five
Not sure who to trust
Ravenclaw vs Hufflepuff
Truth Serum
Going Home for Christmas
Alice and Frank Longbottom
Don't Leave.
Mass Breakout
Like The Back of My Hand
Exam Week
The Great Escape of Hogwarts
Department of Glowing Orbs
He's Back
To Live, is to Forgive
Results Day
Don't Follow
These Troubled Times
*NEW* N.E.W.T Classes
*NEW* Memories

The Trail of Harry J. Potter

276 17 1
By BelleTheTeaDrinker

CHAPTER FOUR: The Trial of Harry J. Potter

Diagon Alley was quieter than normal.

People still ran circles around their parents as the shops were bursting with people buying this year's schoolbooks and indulging in new quills and inks.

Neville and I looked at the book list in our hands with confusion.

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 by Miranda Goshawk

Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkard.
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore.
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger.
Potion Opuscule by Arsenius Jigger.
Winogrand's Wondrous Water Plants by Selina Sapworthy.
Flesh-Eating Trees of the World.
Intermediate Transfiguration.

Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vablatsky (if studying OWL Divination)
Numerology and Grammatica (if studying OWL Arithmancy
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander (is Studying OWL Care of Magical Creatures)
Home Life and Social Habits of European Muggles by Wilhelm Wigworthy (if studying OWL Muggle Studies)
Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles by Wilhelm Wigworthy (if studying OWL Muggle Studies)

"Defensive Magical Theory?" I questioned as we entered Flourish and Blotts.
Neville shrugged," It's another Lockhart isn't it?"
"It looks like it." I groaned.

Taking a quill, we crossed out all the books we already had at home the stared the ones that needed to be replaced. I held out my arms as Neville pulled the books from the shelves

We dodged flying books and seventh years running around as the picked up their pre-ordered NEWT level books.

Walking down Diagon Alley, large groups of people had the paper between them as the read the events of Harry's expulsion and the trail that followed.
The front page was a picture of Professor Dumbledore, standing next to the tall backed chair in the Ministry Courtrooms.
The Courtroom they used was a surprise to many, Courtroom ten was primarily used for Azkaban sentencing; with Bellatrix Lestrange and Barty Crouch junior being notable criminals to be sentenced.
From the newsstand, I noticed a familiar face right at the back of the committee.
"Oh fuck." I whispered as I saw the lady who was with Lucius Malfoy,

Neville rested his chin on my shoulder as he read the article," He got acquitted?"
"Looks like it." I mumbled," Dumbledore and a Squib called Arabella Fig came to his aid."
Neville sighed," Seamus is going to be pissed."

"Why?" I asked," I thought you guys were friends." and into my arms.
"Let's just get this paid for and then I'll explain," Neville looked around the room cautiously.
I nodded my head in understanding, not everyone in the wizarding world wanted to discuss recent political things, let alone overhear people talk about it.

Holding two of each book, we took them to the counter; as the books were typed into the old cash machine, the cashier looked at us then the Defensive Magical Theory then back at us.

"What year are you in?" He asked.
Neville opened his wallet," Fifth."
"Fifth?" He questioned," And this is on your OWL reading list?"
I nodded," Yeah."
"Good luck, cause this class will be as patronising as it comes." The cashier gave us a sympathetic look as he took the money from my brother and but the books into a brown paper bag.

Neville bobbed his head from side to side as we walked to madam Malkins," they are sort of friends, since Cedric; Seamus, as you know, is a little sensitive about the subject so one day his mum said that if things didn't cool down he would be pulled from school and sent to another magical initiation."
I pulled a face," Really? So instead of supporting his dormmate, he's being a little twerp about it?"
"I think he's scared like the rest of us," Neville sighed," If what Harry says his true, half his family is at risk, same with Dean."
I sighed," Yeah, but we aren't much better."
"Blood traitor club or what?"
Nodding slowly, I opened the door to the shop," Or what indeed little brother."

Madam Malkin, after all these years never seemed to age. She wore her signature purple robes with a tape measure around her neck with her glasses positioned on her nose in such a place she could both look through the lenses and over the top of them.

"I'll be with you in just a tick." She called,

"It's ok!" Neville replied

Neville replied
"No need to rush," I spoke in a friendly manner as we took a seat in the waiting room.

The two students who exited the changing rooms reminded me, a lot of the instant rivalry of Harry and Draco in one aspect as the two, second years went to their parents who stood at opposite ends of the shop.
The family closest to the till paid first, followed by the other family close after; Neville and I watched on as the two children glared at each other without their parents noticing.

Madam Malkin beckoned me over to the changing room where a set of blue Ravenclaw robes where hung up.
"What are we looking at this year?"
I pursed my lips in thought," cap-sleeved shirts and a skater skirt maybe?"
Madam Malkin smiled a little," Ok."

The tape measures wrapped around my body as the oversized shirt fitted to me so it wasn't too big or too small. Around the bottom, the black cloak was cut so it wasn't too long as I stood in the new skirt and shirt.

"How is everything fitting?" The tailor asked," It's not too tight over the boobs is it?"
I shook my head," No."
"Good, it's hard finding shirts that fit." She muttered," You know that's why I opened the shop because I got utterly vexed about my shirt not fitting."
Smiling at the old woman, I laughed as she ranted about shop brought shirts that people brought her to fix because they don't fit properly.

When she was happy with the shirt, she brought out some 1940s cropped black trousers with three silver buttons going up the side. The tape measures danced around me, as they took the measurement, the trousers altered themselves appropriately.

Madam Malkin folded the clothes into a box, casting the duplicating spell to create more than one pair. Next on the list was shoes, from her collection of Hogwarts approved footwear, I picked out the same yellow thread boots as last year with blue ribbon laces and several pairs of tights in difference deniers. The seamstress used the same measurements to add new bras and underwear to the box, giving me a thin catalogue of styles and colours; for class, I went as neutral as possible then for other times; the brighter the better. My clothes were dark enough so no one is going to see if my bra was neon orange or green.

As Neville paid for the books, I paid for the uniforms then carried the two purple bags as Neville opened the door.

"One more stop then we can go home," Neville said, adjusting his grip on the books.
I creased my eyebrows a little," Where too?"
"Ollivander's," Neville said after a few minutes.
"I thought you wanted to use dads?" I questioned as we walked down the street.
Neville let out a defeated sigh," I did, but I think with everything happening; I need one that's mine."
Nodding in understanding, the little bell sounded as we entered the shop for the must-have a wizard necessity, a wand.

Mr Olivander had not changed in these many years, his hair was a lot longer but he still stuck to the Victorian look of his robes. Looking at the two of us, the wandmaker looked confused at our sudden arrival.
"I wasn't expecting you back here, Cherry and Hawthorn wood, Unicorn hair 10 inches wasn't it?"
I nodded," Yep, makeshift hairpin as well."
"It's a strong wood, and that makes for a good disguise in the Muggle world, "He said leaning on the counter of his shop, focusing on my brother," What can I help you with?"
Neville cleared his throat," I need a new wand."
Olivander nodded slowly," Ok, let's get started then, Mr Longbottom."

I gave Neville a supporting look as I sat at the back of the store with the rest of the shopping; opening the paper I read the article from the eleven o'clock print, the papers printed late today as they wanted to make sure the news wasn't outdated today.

After careful judiciary discussions, Harry Potter has been allowed back to Hogwarts following reports of a hearing about the allegations of You-Know-Who's return.
The Minister for magic in the weeks after the initial report has continued to reaerate the message that this is a lie created by Albus P.W.B Dumbledore. The news comes after Albus Dumbledore's dismissal from theWizengamot earlier this month.

Looking up, I gave Neville a nervous thumbs up as the tissue paper rained down over my head.

This August represents the third month since the open inquiry into Cedric Diggory's death, as we are aware Harry Potter, aged fourteen at the time, didn't have traces of the curse on his wand, we are left to question... Who killed Cedric Diggory?

A shrilled scream left my mouth as I was hit on the head by a flying wand box.
"You're doing great sweetie." I smiled.
Neville rolled his eyes as he put the latest wand back on the counter," This is hopeless, I am hopeless."
"There is no such thing." Mr Olivander turned to my brother," I will find you a wand if it the last thing I do in this shop."

Azkaban reform after two breakouts.
Rita Skeeter.

Following the two breakouts of Sirius Black and Barty Crouch Junior, questions are being asked about how secure Azkaban really is -

Bracing myself with my eyes clenched, I pride one eye open first to check the damage done to the store. A wide smile hit my face as Neville held a wand in his hand and nothing had exploded.
"Cherry wood and unicorn hair, sturdy." Olivander spoke proudly," This wand will not easily sway to the dark arts, cherry wood, however, seems to run in the family, but remember; magic isn't always spelling."
Neville nodded, unsure what to make of the hidden meaning behind Olivander's words.

"Seven galleons, my boy." The old wizard smiled at us as the register pinged.

Walking back up the street towards the pub, we were stopped abruptly by a small riot in front of the post office.

"He's a liar!"
"No, he's not!"
"Justice for Cedric!"
"He's Chosen!"
"He brought him back!"
"Just arrest him and get it over with!"
"The Ministry Lies!"

Neville and I shared a look as fights broke out; ducking out of the way, we stayed close to the shops as we snuck passed the fighting crowds.
Even though the hearing subject was false, people were still very verbal about that actions of a (recent) fifteen-year-old boy.

Pulling my brother down, a lemon meringue pie hit the wall where my brother's head recently was. We pushed each other out of the way until we took sanctuary in our Grandfather Ice Cream shop.

The man raised an eyebrow at us as he shut and folded his paper, throwing it on to the counter.
"Want to try some new flavours?"
"Always." We answered.

Sitting in a booth, Grandpa gave us the new desert combinations; mine was Honey and camomille ice cream with chocolate pieces and cinder toffee and Neville had elderflower and blueberry with whipped cream and blueberries.
Grandpa had no customers so he sat in the booth with us as he did the crossword at the back, asking for our help every couple of minutes as we discussed what each riddle meant.

We stayed at the shop till the civil dispute outside had calmed down, and the lemon meringue pie had been cleaned off the street.

Collecting our shopping in our arms, Grandpa opened the main door for us, with that wide warming smile that reminded me sadly of mum.
"Give you Gran and..." He stopped for a second," And my Alice a hug from me."
Nodding sadly, we went up to the pub.

As we passed people we knew, Neville and I smiled -unable to wave because of the number of items in our arms.
In the Leaky Cauldron, there was no que to the Floo network, allowing us to just step in and take a handful of powder.

"Vicarage Farm, Stoke-Upon-Trent."

The green fire pulled us from left to right, stretching us long ways and width ways.

Manifesting in the kitchen, Gran was all but ready to go. Her hair was in victory curls with a yellow cardigan over her shoulders with a gold lion broach and a navy check dress.
Gran waved us upstairs where we dropped the new uniform and books off, in my room, I fixed my hair a little and picked up my guitar bag. Behind me Drizella followed proudly with her monkey toy in her jaws; she never went anywhere without it.

Back in the kitchen, I picked up the heavy envelope on the side. In my heart, I knew what it was but I wanted to open it with both mum and dad there.
Gran tried to pull my skirt down annoyed that my flannel shirt was longer than my skirt. Neville went first this time, taking the pot of Floo powder from the painted flowerpot on the mantle.
"St. Mungos Hospital, London." He spoke clearly dropping the powder on to the logs.
My brother was taken up in a funnel of green fire.

Next, it was my turn.
I stood on the logs with Drizella by my side, Gran held the Floo Powder out to me as I took a handful.
"St. Mungos Hospital, London"
I let the powder drop onto the logs at my feet, around me a swirl of green fire blasted around my face making it the only thing I saw as I was once again pulled at all sides till I reached my destination.

Neville was sitting on the bench at the welcome Lobby, not making eye contact with anyone. I understood how he felt being here. It wasn't embarrassment that we felt, it was grief; endless grief that wouldn't go away.

Standing up, Neville and I waited together as Gran manifested last and pushed her way through the crowds to us. She pushed us in the direction of the stairs when we were younger; Nev and I couldn't wait to see our parents after all the stories Gran had told us but after we started Hogwarts it became apparent to us on how much we missed out on.

We missed them reading us bedtime stories.
We missed them getting excited as our Hogwarts letters came.
We missed them waving us goodbye on the platform.
We missed them writing cringe filled letters about how much they miss us. How can they miss us? They don't even know who we are.

Arriving on the Fourth Floor, a new receptionist sat with a cactus on her desk and a fake smile on her face.
"Hi, I'm Gemma and how can I help you today?"
Gran grunted," We are here to see Frank and Alice Longbottom."
Gemma nodded understandingly," I am sorry Ma'am but I am afraid, only family of permi-"
"We have been visiting for fifteen years," Gran looked down at the women behind the desk," If I want to visit my son on this fine Sunday then I will."
Gemma stared wide-eyed," I'm so, so sorry Ma'am."
"Stop calling me Ma'am," Gran grumbled as she picked up her visitors' badge from the usual collection of names.

Pinning my name to my shirt, we followed the familiar wooden corridors to the Janus Thickey Ward.
Inside, it was pretty much the same as every other time we come here. The permanent residence of the ward smiled at us as we passed, our old Professor; Gilderoy Lockhart was answering his daily Santa sack of fan mail (even though he doesn't remember why he was famous in the first place) and replied with a sighed image of himself in salmon pink ink.

At the bottom where our parents, Frank and Alice Longbottom; married since 1976 however only had five years of happiness before it was taken away. Neville and I sat in a circle with them as Dad sat counting cards and mum did the morning crossword.

Looking up from his cards, dad smiled at me as I sat at the end of the bed.
"Any news?" He asked, taking off his glasses.
I nodded, holding the heavy envelope in my hands," I think so."
"Think so?"
"I haven't opened the letter yet," I spoke, a little scared.
Dad smirked," Go on, no harm ever came from opening a letter."

Cracking open the seal, a blue and bronze pin fell out onto the bed with a large P in the middle of the blue gloss background. From behind me, Gran gasped and fell back into her chair.
"Wait till I tell Algie about this, old fool."

Dear Miss Longbottom,
It is my honour and privilege to offer you the position of fifth-year prefect.

On September First, you will report to the Prefects carriage at 15:00 where you will be introduced to the other prefects as well as the new Head girl and Head boy

If you have any questions do not hesitate to owl.

Congratulations,

Professor, F. Flitwick
(Head of Ravenclaw house.)

I was engulfed in a large hug from all angles as Gran smiled proudly for the first time in years whilst my eyes scanned the letter again and again and again in hopes it would change a little. Mum and dad just looked confused, but that's not the point, they got to experience pure joy for the first time and I felt like I had done something with my parents.
Neville picked up the two badges, raising an eyebrow at me, "How are you a prefect, you are so... you?"
"Thanks for that vote of confidence," I muttered, staring at the Prefects badge in my hands.

Why on Earth would I be a Prefect?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.2K 1.6K 44
guys ik this is cringy 2020 was a trying time {Completed} You're a muggle-born who had gone to Hogwarts. It was your 4th year there, and you are in t...
172K 6.3K 69
~ Year five ~ Warning: This is the fifth book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
175K 6.5K 47
~ Year four ~ Warning: This is the fourth book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read...
136K 3.3K 41
╔ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╗ ║ Book One ║ ║ of ║ ║ Four ║ ╚ ═ ═ ═ ═ ╝ Celyn Longbottom is the older sister of Nevi...