𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒂: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑮𝒐𝒍𝒅...

By TheGoldenAgeOfNarnia

"Ettinsmoor? Is that what we're calling it now?" Imira asked. "Better than 'the northern lands the Ettins inh... More

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏 | 𝑶𝒖𝒕𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐 | 𝑰𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒄𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑 | 𝑻𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 | 𝑪𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒆𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 | 𝑳𝒚𝒄𝒊𝒂 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔 | 𝑺𝒏𝒆𝒂𝒌 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕 | 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒎 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖 | 𝑾𝒊𝒏𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗 | 𝑨 𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒑 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎 | 𝑩𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒉𝒐𝒎𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏 | 𝑵𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐 | 𝑴𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝒇𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑 | 𝑫𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒅𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝑬𝒅𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒 | 𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓 | 𝑬𝒅𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔 | 𝑫𝒐 𝑰 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒉𝒐𝒊𝒄𝒆? |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕 | 𝒀𝒐𝒖'𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖 | 𝑷𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗 | 𝒀𝒂𝒃𝒃𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎 | 𝟏𝟎𝟎𝟒 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏 | 𝑬𝒎𝒑𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒚 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒖𝒏𝒕 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑 | 𝑩𝒂𝒅 𝑯𝒂𝒃𝒊𝒕𝒔|
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒 | 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝒐𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓 | 𝑺𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒔, 𝒃𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒘𝒊𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔 | 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕 | 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒊𝒏 𝑵𝒂𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒂 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖 | 𝑫𝒆𝒂𝒏'𝒔 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗 | 𝑳𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝑷𝒉𝒐𝒆𝒃𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒑𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒅 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎 | 𝑭𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒂𝒓 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟏 | 𝑾𝒐𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐 | 𝑫𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝑬𝒅𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑 | 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒕 𝑮𝒂𝒍𝒎𝒂 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟒 | 𝑭𝒊𝒓𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓 | 𝑷𝒔𝒚𝒄𝒉𝒐 |
- • -
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖 | 𝑫𝒆𝒄𝒍𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟗 | 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝑷𝒆𝒓𝒊𝒅𝒂𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎 | 𝑮𝒍𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔 |
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝑪𝒂𝒊𝒓 𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒍
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟏 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟐 | 𝑯𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒌𝒚, 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒋𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒖𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟑 | 𝑩𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒚𝒆-𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒃𝒃𝒊𝒏𝒈 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒 | 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔' 𝒒𝒖𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒆𝒍 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟓 | 𝑺𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟔 | 𝑴𝒂𝒓𝒔𝒉𝒘𝒊𝒈𝒈𝒍𝒆 𝒐𝒑𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒎 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟕 | 𝑵𝒐𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒘𝒂𝒓 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟖 | 𝑴𝒊𝒅𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒏𝒂𝒈𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒈 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟗 | 𝑮𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒎 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑹𝒐𝒄𝒌𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟏 | 𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒑 𝒄𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒆𝒓 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟐 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒏𝒈𝒆 𝑮𝒂𝒎𝒆 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟑 | 𝑬𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒊𝒏 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒏𝒐𝒕 𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒐𝒖𝒕 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟒 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍 𝑪𝒐𝒓𝒊𝒏 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟓 | 𝑩𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒍𝒆 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒔 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟔 | 𝑻𝒂𝒔𝒉𝒃𝒂𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑵𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒉 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟕 | 𝑼𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑴𝒐𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟖 | 𝑨 𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒌 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒌 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟗 | 𝑵𝒆𝒘𝒔 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝑨𝒏𝒗𝒂𝒓𝒅 |
𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 60 | Back to Cair Paravel |
Chapter 61 | At Anvard |
Chapter 62 | Rabadash the Riddiculous |
Chapter 63 | The Storm |
Chapter 64 | The Light |

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟔 | 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒍 |

237 16 5
By TheGoldenAgeOfNarnia

IMIRA

"Eternally grateful, my arse," I mutter under my breath. Had Danielle really been eternally grateful, she wouldn't have meddled with my cousin's mind. That vindictive little-

"What's that?" Peter asks, pulling me back to reality. 

I shake my head trying to rid it of the bitterness. "I was just thinking about that day I saved her," I sigh at the memory. "I should've just let her drown," 

"That wouldn't have been right," he says putting on his crown before the mirror. 

"Would have saved us from a great deal of trouble," I point out. "Dean said he wished I'd never saved her," 

"Your cousin Dean is a little extreme," he turns to face me. 

Yes, he is sometimes. A smile spreads across my face. "He really got on Susan's nerves, didn't he?" 

"You think?" he laughs. "I'd never seen her get that upset at someone," 

"I didn't even know she could get that upset,"

We share a laugh but his smile fades before he speaks again. 

"What about you? Are you upset?" 

I shake my head just enough to get my point across. Shaking one's head vehemently when wearing a crown is not advised. 

"I just want to get this over with," I stand up tiredly. "There's nothing more tedious than a trial,"

"Oh, I have a feeling this trial will be anything but tedious. Speaking of the trial, you can't afford to lose control of your-" 

Emotions. I know. It's not like it's the first time I've heard it. Edmund said it yesterday, Susan said it, even James (the little traitor) said it. As if I didn't already know. "I know, I know. I'll keep it simple and stick to the facts,"  

The places a hand on my shoulder. "All the evidence is against her. It will be over soon enough,"

"Can't wait," 

He smirks at my comment, but before he can say anything, someone knocks at our door. One of our servants goes to open as we straighten ourselves up. Henry walks is. 

"It is time, Your Majesties," he announces very seriously, first looking at Peter and then setting his sight on me. 

I nod, Peter thanks him, and he leaves with a small bow. 

"Are you ready?" Peter asks facing me once more.  

"How do I look?" I ask, brushing imaginary dust off my skirt. 

"Perfect," he says with a heartmelting smile. "As always," 

Everyone who is anyone and then some have come and gathered to witness the trial of Lady Danielle. Lady Doninger, guilty as she is, is unfortunately out of our hands for she is Galmian. We may not have the power to kill her or imprison her or to do to her whatever her crimes deserve, but we do have the power to banish her from our real and to pressure the Duke of Galma into punishing her for her crimes. Let him deal with it. We have allowed her to remain for the duration of her daughter's trial as a courtesy, but once her sentence is dictated she is to leave and never return. She sits on the first row, next to her disgruntled husband, whispering at his ear in hushed tones, and beside Danielle's cousin. 

The doors to the Throne Room open at last and in walks Danielle, escorted by Orithia and Scyleia. Chains are not necessary, but still, she wears them. Appearance is everything and chains say she is an enemy. The sound of her steps and the rattling of the chains is enough to alert everyone. Lady Doninger turns worriedly to look at her daughter who, thank the lion, has finally gotten out of her wedding dress and has gone back to her usual emerald green kirtle. She holds her head high as she approaches walking down the centre of the room at a steady pace amidst the glances of the court who sit on wooden bleachers angled toward us. But with each step she takes, she looks a little more scared. 

At last, she reaches the wooden podium from where she is to be judged. Just below the steps that lead to our thrones, right in the centre of the room. Orithia takes the chains off and then she and Scyleia move each to stand on either side of the room. Danielle turns to look at the crowd and spots her mother, who looks at her intensely and shakes her head slightly, warningly. But I have no time to wonder what that is all about because Peter turns to look at me expectantly, signaling it is my turn to speak. 

I nod at him and the five of us stand, the court following suit. I take a step forward and take a breath. 

"I, Imira of Arden, High Queen of Narnia, Lady of Cair Paravel and Empress of the Lone Islands do hereby recuse myself from this trial. James of Arden, King of Datram, Lord Protector of the West will sit as judge in my stead," I announce. Danielle looks momentarily surprised but apart from that, complete silence. 

I walk to my right as James makes way for my throne, our steps echoing through the silent room.  We walk past each other and reach our respective seats roughly at the same time. He was seated off to the side, to Edmund's right, in a nice wooden armchair next to Hayley. On the opposite side of the room, to Lucy's left, sit Dean and Darren. Beside them, Lords Henry and Roy, and beside Hayley, Ladies Phoebe and Thea. 

I turn to look at the five thrones of Cair Paravel and those who stand before them. I nod inconspicuously and we all sit, the rest of the room following our lead. 

All but Lady Danielle. She is to endure the trial on her feet. 

"Lady Danielle," Peter begins. "You stand accused by Prince Darren of using a love potion on him, you stand accused by the High Queen of abandonment of your courtly duties, and you stand accused by the crown of theft of a royal vessel. Let us begin with the smallest charge. Did you abandon your courtly duties?" 

"Yes, but-" 

"Did you leave Cair Paravel in our vessel without informing us or acquiring explicit consent from the present authorities?" Peter asks, though the answer is already known to us. 

"Yes, but-" 

"Since you have confessed to these offenses, let us move on the greater matter at hand," Peter says. "Did you use a love potion to make Prince Darren fall in love with you and convince him to marry you?" 

Oh, now this is the big question. Some people whisper, the rest just stare expectantly as I do, waiting for her answer. 

"I did not," she replies. 

Lies! I clutch the armrest to stop myself from shouting at her. 

"Did your mother? The Lady Donninger?" Peter asks, looking at the woman. If Danielle says yes, we will be able to put her on trial. Please say yes, please say yes... 

"Not that I am aware of," 

"Lady Danielle liked to flaunt her relationship with Prince Darren before anyone who would listen," Thea answers Peter's question. It was agreed beforehand that Peter would question Thea, Edmund would question me, Susan would question Darren, James would question Roy, and Lucy would question Dean. It was the only way to remain impartial. Of course, anyone can ask a question to anyone at any given point, but this had to be clarified beforehand in order to have an orderly trial.

Thea continued.  "The Prince didn't seem as serious about it as she was, but then again she does tend to exaggerate facts,"

"How come?" Peter asks.

"She liked spreading rumours about Queen Imira. Lady Danielle enjoyed bordering impertinence and getting away with it,"

"The night Prince Darren returned from his last trip to Datram, Lady Danielle told me she was going to marry the Prince," I say calmly. My turn to answer Edmund's questions. "A few moments later I found the Prince had just returned and so I inquired on this claim Lady Danielle had made earlier. Prince Darren had no knowledge on this matter and expressed his desire to end things for good with Lady Danielle the very next morning. He had his mind made up. Only the next morning, instead of announcing the breakup, he and the Lady announced they were to be married. Completely out of character for Prince Darren to take such a big decision without first consulting and seeking the approval of his king as the custom dictates. His behaviour had changed completely from the night he returned to the next morning,"

"Did you confront Prince Darren on this matter?" Edmund asks.

"Unfortunately I could not, I had a trip to attend to, so I wrote a letter to Prince Dean urging him to talk to Prince Darren and find out the reason behind his concerning change of behaviour, I suspected his mind to have been tampered with,"

"What happened when you returned from your trip?" he asks.

"Lord Stryder informed me the reason behind Prince Darren's strange behaviour had been discovered shortly after Prince Dean's arrival,"

"And what was the reason behind this behaviour?" he asks, already knowing the answer.

"A love potion," I reveal. "Unfortunately, before we could free him from the potion, Prince Darren, still under the potion's influence, had run off to Galma to get married to Lady Danielle. By that time an order for the Prince's arrest had been brought to my attention and I was left with no other option but to arrest my cousin and Lady Danielle,"

"Did you manage to free him from the potion?" Ed asks.

"Yes. His mind recovered slowly and he came to his senses,"

His line of questioning changes. "You went to visit Lady Danielle at her cell a few nights ago, did you not?" 

"Yes, I did,"

"And what did she tell you?" Edmund inquires.

"Lady Danielle's behaviour with me always bordered disrespect and insolence, but she had never been outright rude until a few nights ago. She told me she did not like me, used a colourful word to describe me, and she revealed she had planned to make my cousin fall in love with her just to spite me. I did not know her dislike for my person went to such extents. She claimed they were in love and that the only reason Prince Darren was constantly breaking up with her after hir visits to Datram was that I requested it and she said she had to free him of my influence,"

"By using a love potion?" Susan asks with a quirked eyebrow.

"I was going to ask her about that, but we were interrupted," I reply.

"Lady Danielle, is this true?" Susan asks. She had not heard this part before. "Did you pursue a relationship with Prince Darren with the intent of vexing Queen Imira?" 

"That is a ludicrous claim," Danielle protests, offended. "I liked Prince Darren and he liked me so we began a mutually beneficial relationship. The Queen, however, does not like me. She never has. She is prejudiced against me, she wants me gone,"

"Did Queen Imira not save you from drowning once with no regard to her own safety?" Peter asks. He is not supposed to intervene, as it may look like he's biased, but no one stops him. 

"I would say the river naiad saved me, Your Majesty," Danielle retorts.

I can see her response not sitting well with him. "Did Queen Imira not jump into freezing waters after you fell into a river in an attempt to rescue you and called for a river naiad to assist?" he clarifies.

"She did," Danielle admits hesitantly.

"And did she not name you lady-in-waiting, an honourable and enviable position that you abandoned and disregarded when you fled to Galma last week?" Peter continues questioning.

"Yes," Danielle says. "But I only left because she would not dismiss me after I requested it," she adds.

"Queen Imira," Peter turns to me very formally, "Why did you not dismiss Lady Danielle?"

"Ladies-in-waiting are to be dismissed when they are married. She wasn't married yet, her wedding announcement had barely been made and she did not consult with me on this matter, as per custom. Besides, I had an important task I needed to entrust to her and Lady Thea while I was away," I answer. 

"Thank you," he nods at me, still serious, and hen turns his attention back to Danielle. "I would say those are not the actions of someone who dislikes you and wants you gone. Had the Queen wanted you gone, she wouldn't have jumped in the water and risked her precious life to save yours. Had the Queen wanted you gone, she would have dismissed you and had Lady Thea perform this task alone. It sounds to me like it is you who wants to be gone from this court and is willing to do whatever is necessary to ensure it. Whether that be stealing a royal vessel, disregarding your courtly duties, or drugging a prince to get him to agree to marry you,"

"When he was in Datram, my brother would often express his desire to leave Lady Danielle and leave with his mind made up on the matter," Dean discloses. "But whenever he returned to Cair Paravel and I'd inquire if he had gone through with it, he would reply he knew not what I spoke of,"

"Prince Dean, you met with Prince Darren on numerous occasions in Datram to discuss his relationship to Lady Danielle, did you not?" Edmund asks. 

"I did, your Majesty,"

"Can you elaborate on the nature of these discussions?" Lucy inquires. 

"Certainly. My brother would always arrive claiming to love Lady Danielle, but after a few days in Datram, he'd forget all about her. Whenever I'd inquire about her, he'd evade the conversation or say he was going to break things off with her. The last time he visited he seemed pretty set on breaking things off, which is why I was so surprised to hear from Queen Imira he had announced he was to marry her. I shared the Queen's suspicions and upon my arrival to this court, I commanded Lord Roy to investigate further. The very next day I went to inform Lady Doninger the engagement between my brother and her daughter was off, but she mistook me for my brother and used the same potion that had been used on him with me. It is now very clear to me that this potion was intended for my brother, Prince Darren,"

"Lord Roy. You were in Lady Danielle's quarters, investigating on behalf of the crown about the suspicions of this mind tampering, were you not?" James asks. 

"I was, your majesty," Lord Roy responds with a nod. 

"And what did you find?" 

"There was a box in her quarters. Inside, a book containing spells and potions, a list of names of which Prince Darren's was circled... and vials of love potion. Both empty and full,"

The court starts whispering. 

"Prince Darren, did you love Lady Danielle?" Susan asks. 

"No, your majesty, I did not," my cousin states very seriously.

"What was the nature of your relationship?" she inquires. 

"I started courting her to get to know her, but I soon found she and I weren't meant to be. Yet, I did not break things up with her, our relationship was just to pass the time. Nothing serious. She, however, had other ideas in mind. I now remember the first time I broke up with her. It lasted a day. The next morning she came to see me, to talk things over. I told her there was nothing to talk about but she insisted, so I humoured her. We had tea. She poured it. My memory became hazy after drinking tea, but I now recall myself pledging myself to her. Whenever I was away from her for long periods of time my mind would clear up in the sense that I no longer harboured those artificial feelings towards her, but I did not recall my actions with her, so I would go on with my life and when confronted about it agree it wasn't right to continue the relationship and made up my mind to break things up. Every time was the same. I recall that now. I would come back and summon her to speak, sometimes I'd go see her myself, but every time she offered me a cup of tea, sometimes wine depending on the hour, and convince me to stay with her. Memories were always fussy afterwards. The night I returned from my last trip to Datram I spoke with your majesties and learned Lady Danielle had told Queen Imira she was going to marry me. My mind was still a little confused, I thought Queen Imira was joking, I had never asked Lady Danielle to marry me. I would never, not of sound mind and free will ask her to marry me. It is not her I love. I dismissed it as a joke, either on Queen Imira's part or on Lady Danielle's, but I agreed it was the right call to end things with Lady Danielle who clearly saw a future I did not. But when I went to confront her, she shut me up with a cup of tea and once I had drunk it she suggested we get married. I agreed and we went to spread the news. The Queen was rightly suspicious and called for my brother to help reason with me. Prince Dean arrived and, when I proved unreasonable and unfit to make decisions, he had me confined to Lord Stryder's manor, for which I am grateful. However, with my mind so afflicted by the love potion, I escaped one night, went to find the Lady and she suggested we flee to Galma to get married before anyone could object. My mind being so off, I agreed. We stole a royal vessel, arrived at Galma the very same day and got married the next. When Queen Imira and King Peter brought us back King Edmund and Queen Lucy had already discovered Lord Roy and Prince Dean had been enchanted by the love potion and Queen Lucy cured my mind. I have been recovering since, some details are hard to recall, but for two years I was drugged and forced to fall in love with and marry Lady Danielle,"

"You love me," Danielle pleads. It looks like she really believes it. 

"I do not," Darren replies patiently. "Not now, not then, not ever. I apologize if I lead you on, but that does not condone your actions nor excuse your behaviour. Especially after learning you did all this to spite Queen Imira,"

"No, I did it because I love you," Danielle pleads again.

"If you loved me, you would have given me a choice," Darren says, now annoyed. 

"Thank you, Prince Darren, for your testimony," Susan dismisses him before they start having a discussion. 

Darren nods and returns to his seat. 

"Lady Danielle, did you use a love potion to stop Prince Darren from leaving you?" Edmund asks. 

"Prince Darren never left me," she replies, but, she's not denying it! Come on, Ed. If anyone can get her to crack it is you. 

"Lies! I left you repeatedly but you poisoned my mind and heart so you could marry me and lay claim to my titles and fortune!" Darren roars.  

"Silence!" James orders him and Darren takes a seat. 

"Lady Danielle, we will ask again, did you ever administer a love potion to Prince Darren?" Peter asks. 

"No," she replies cautiously. 

"Did someone else?" Edmund asks. 

"How should I know what other people do?" Danielle points out a little smugly.  

Agh, she is so infuriating. I can see even Edmund is annoyed now. 

Edmund stands up and we all copy him. "We will adjourn for now," He declares. "Toll the bell in an hour's time,"

"Clear the court!" the guards order and Danielle's parents hurry to her side. 

"She is clearly lying," I say as soon as the doors close. "She knows her mother is involved and must think if she denies all accusations we will let her walk,"

"Either that or she has lost her mind," James says.

"She does sound to me like she trully loves Darren," Susan says, earning a load of disbelieving stares.

"That does not make what she did alright," Edmund says.

"Of course not. But surely we will take that into account, will we not?"

"Love is not an excuse," I object. "We have all the facts, we know who did what. Let us get this over with and banish her already,"

"I thought we were going to kill her," Dean objects.

"Oh, what is it with you and killing?" Susan snaps at him. "We are not killing anybody,"

"Well, I beg to differ," Dean protests and they start to argue once more.

James rolls his eyes at them and goes over to speak to Hayley.

"So what happens now?" I ask Edmund and Peter.

"We need to get her to confess," Peter replies.

"It would be easier if we had that box Lord Roy was speaking of," Ed grumbles.

"We've looked for it. It's gone," Lucy reminds him. "Her mother must have disposed of it after finding Lord Roy in there,"

"If only she could implicate her mother, this would all be easier," Edmund sighs.

There has to be a way, but what? 

"...don't be unreasonable," Susan argues with Dean. 

"I am not being unreasonable, you are being unreasonable," Dean retorts. 

"I am going upstairs," I anunce to Edmund, Peter and Lucy. "I cannot endure an hour of their arguing. I will return before the bell tolls," 

"Luck you," Edmund grunts and atempts to break off the bickering. 

"They sound like an old married couple," Lucy giggles making Peter and I laugh, and goes off to the small banquet table that has been set up in the room. 

"She's not wrong," Peter says, eyeing Susan and Dean. 

I find Henry outside, not too far away, talking with Phoebe and the Clairmants, and interrupt their conversation. 

"Lord Henry, a word?" 

He excuses himself and comes to where I stand. 

"What do you make of the trial?" I ask. I am very biased as to how this is looking and I need him to give it to me straight. 

"Although a confession would be optimal, things are looking good in your favour," Henry says. "The people trust their King's judgement," 

"You do not think the people are buying her foolish girl in love act?" 

"Some might. Those tender of heart. But the evidence brought against her is difficult to ignore," 

"What do you think should happen to her?" I ask. He starts to think about it, but before he can come up with something clever, an unexpected person approaches. 

"Your majesty, please," Lady Denisse, Danielle's cousin, addresses me. "You cannot judge my cousin too harshly," she pleads. 

I like Denisse, I appreciate Denisse, but I am not good enough friends with her to excuse her cousin. I am not good enough friends with anybody to excuse such wicked behaviour. Not even Rebekah. 

"Fortunately for you, I am not the one who will be judging her," I reply ans start to walk away with Henry. 

"But you hold influence over the judges. They would listen to you," she continues. 

"They would. But why should I listen to you?" I ask. 

"Please, Your Majesty, I know what my cousin did was wrong, but she only did it because her father said if she did not marry someone by the end of this year, he would marry her off to the Tarkaan Alimuth. A Calormen. You know what they say of the Calormen, she-she couldn't. Her mother came up with the love potion idea. They told me. They said if my father ever threatened to do the same, they would help me. I know what they did was not right, but I don't know if she had a choice," 

Well, this is shocking news, but I try not to react. "There is always a choice," I point out. 

"Not for her," Lady Denisse presses. 

"If this is the truth, why didn't she say so when she was questioned?" I ask. This all sounds too suspicious. 

"Her mother told her not to say anything. My uncle does not know. If he were to find out, my aunt would be in a great deal of trouble. They both would," 

"They already are," I point out. 

"Please, Your Majesty, I know she is difficult, but she was only trying to sabe herself," 

"And annoy me in the process," 

Ugh, why me?! 

"Look, Lady Denisse, I strongly oppose the idea of anyone being married against their will. And had your cousin come to me for help, despite the animosity between us, I would have helped her. But she and her mother used magic on Prince Darren, Prince Dean and Lord Roy. That cannot go unpunished. That won't go unpunished. They will not allow that," 

"But, please, Your Majesty-" 

"I cannot help you," I interrupt her. "Her fate is not in my hands. I suggest you plead with Queen Lucy. If anyone would be lenient towards her, I would expect it to be her," 

"Thank you, Your Majesty," she curtsies. 

"I suggest you hurry. There isn't much time left," 

She nods and rushes down the hall. 

"That was generous," Henry sighs once she's out of sight. 

"Too generous?" 

"Just enough," 

"Do you think she was telling the truth?" I ask him. Maybe that was all one last desperate ruse to save Danielle. 

"I don't see why Lady Denisse would implicate herself if it were not," 

"They are family," I point out. 

He nods. "I suppose we shall have to wait and see," 

"Lady Danielle, we ask you again, did you or someone you know use a love potion to make Prince Darren fall in love with you?" Edmund asks. 

She does not answer, just looks down ather hands. 

"Answer the question," Edmund insists. 

She turns back to look at her mother, who nods discreetly at her. 

"Yes," she confesses and the court breaks into whispering. 

"Silence!" Edmund orders. 

"Which is it?" 

"It was my mother and I," she admits. 

Her father looks shocked at her. He really did not know of it. 

"We brewed a love potion and gave it to Prince Darren to make him agree to marrying me," 

And then her mother is brought forward and they explain. They explain how Danielle fancied Darren and how when her father said she was to be married to the Tarkaan unless Prince Darren asked her to marry him they came up with the idea to use the potion to stop him from leaving Danielle. She appologizes to him and says she now realizes she did to him what was to be done to her and that she is sorry but that she trully does love him and hopes he can forgive her. 

"...please. I really do love you," she pleads with tears in her eyes. "If we could just give this a chance..." 

Oh, my cousin looks very distraught as he stands up. He takes a step towards her and I begint to worry he might forgive her, but he shakes his head at her and turns to leave. 

"Lady Danielle, this court has reached a veredict on your crimes," Edmund announces, and everyone quiets down to listen what is to happen to the girl and her mother. 

"Lady Danielle, you are found not guilty of theft of a royal vessel," Susan declares. 

"You are forgiven for abandoning your courtly duties," Lucy announces. 

"And you are found guilty of bewitching Prince Darren," Peter declares. 

"In punishment for your crime, your marrage to Prince Darren is hereby declared unlawful and void by the nature of matters," James declares. "You are hereby stripped of your royal titles," 

"You are dismissed from the Queen's court," Edmund continues, "and you are banished from Narnia," he pauses. 

"And from Datram," James adds. 

"You are sentenced to two years of imprisonment which shall be served in the Lone Islands after which you are free to remain in the Islands, return to Galma, or travel to any other country," Peter declares before turning to her mother.  "Lady Doninger, you are found guilty of bewitching Prince Darren, Prince Dean, and Lord Roy," Peter declares. "You are dismissed from this court, banished from Narnia," he pauses for James who again clarifies she is also banished from Datram, "and sentenced to two years of imprisonment which shall be served in the Lone Islands after which you are free to remain in the Islands, return to Galma, or travel to any other country. A ship will depart tomorrow at noon to take you both to the Lone Islands," 

Mother and daugher stand together, holding hands. They look... relieved. 

Peter stands up and we all follow his lead. 

"This court is adjourned," he declares and the five thrones are emptied.

"So you believed Lady Denisse," I say catching up to Peter. 

"She was telling the truth. We made sure of it," he assures me. 

"What did Dean and Darren have to say about it?" I ask. 

"What do you think Dean had to say about it?" he raises a brow at me. 

"He wanted her dead," I assume.  

"He wanted both of them dead. But Hayley convinced James and James convinced Dean," 

"Did she now?" 

Peter nods. "Your brother seems to listen to her council now," 

That's good. I hope. 

"And what about Darren? What did he have to say?" 

"Nothing. He just wanted it to be over. He plans to return to Datram and stay there. Your brother will give him land," 

"That's good. He must be in a hurry to get back," 

"Judging from his reaction, I'd say he's already packed," 

I laugh a bit at his comment. 

"Of course, you know what this means, don't you?" 

Uhm, "That he's... going to go after that princess?" 

"That your brother is going to send someone else," Peter clarifies. 

"Oh, that," Yes, I forgot about that. "Did he mention anyone?" 

"No. He says he'll have to think about it," 

"It is a big decision," I agree. He has to find someone trustworth enough. "So now what do we do?" 

"Whatever you decide," he says, stretching his arms up and then wraping one around my shoulders. "I am done with making decisions for the day," 

We don't do anything for the rest of the day and don't see anyone but the twins until seven. Dinner is a very silent affair, everyone is present but words are barely exchanged. I excuse ourselves just as we finish our meal and we head off to bed rather early. After all, it was an exhausting day. 

The next morning at breakfast Dean seems to be in a better mood and he and Susan manage to make it thourgh the meal without a single squabble, though Darren looked bothered. At noon, just as Peter declared, I spot the ship that is to take Lady Danielle and her mother away. I spot it from afar, from one of the many balconies on the many gardens of Cair Paravel. Her red hair can be seen from even this distance. Everyone else has gone down to witness as they go off. Everyone but Darren and I. He said he did not want to see her, but I can see him from this garden, looking out his window. Aslan knows what he's thinking. 

Lord Doninger and Lady Denisse are also boarding a ship, only theirs will take them to Galma. A new representative will be sent soon enough. 

As her ship finally sets sail, a chapter of my life is closed. A chapter marked by the ever annoying presence of Danielle. Good riddance I say, I nearly died for that girl. She put Darren through quite an ordeal. I only hope whatever comes next for him helps him get over the wreck Lady Danielle made of his life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 546 38
"How do you keep floating when you feel like sinking?" "If your heart feels heavy, you'd sink. Otherwise, you'd float." ***** [SEQUEL TO THE OFFSPRIN...
105K 3.3K 83
"𝘖𝘩, 𝘨𝘰𝘥𝘴, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦..." 𝘏𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘐 𝘤𝘶𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘰𝘧𝘧. "𝘐𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘭𝘦𝘥, 𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘥," 𝘐 𝘳𝘦𝘱...
175K 5.8K 29
"Oh. Milady Ashton, are you going to the ball for King Peter." The young centaur shyly asked Ashton. Ashton crouched down next to her, meeting her ey...
161K 6.2K 45
𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐎𝐔𝐒 ━━━━━━━ Narnias people needed saviours, and instead they got a ragtag group of siblings, who can't seem to cooperate with each...