A Million Miles Apart (Wish 4)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) Sloane Calhoun built a career on her brains not her family name. When she meets her major crush... More

A Million Miles Apart
The Wish Series Family Tree
1 - Baseball
2 - Breach
3 - Meat
4 - A Wish
5 - Back in Boston
6 - An Invitation
7 - Whittled your way
8 - Excellent match
9 - Past stay in the past
10 - Tee off
11 - Dressed up
12 - Two minutes
13 - Gold digger
14 - Edward
15 - No shame
16 - Pipe dream
17 - Bad break
18 - A text
19 - Friends
20 - Dirt
22 - Two left feet
23 - Favorite color
24 - Burgers
25 - Flames
26 - Blue
27 - Trust
28 - Art
29 - Magic
30 - Wishes
31 - Deflect and evade
32 - An onion
33 - Missed calls
34 - Hot stove
35 - Trust me
36 - Wishes do come true
37 - Spring Training
38 - The Fountain
A Million Miles Apart

21 - Macho pride

4.7K 326 55
By pseudoannie

There was chaos all around him as the team celebrated clinching a wildcard spot. Nobody was thinking about the one elimination game they would have to win to reach the playoffs. Just being one of the top five teams in the league was worth celebrating. It took until their last game of the season, so tensions had been running high.

Meanwhile, Ben felt helpless, because he had been demoted to the role of cheerleader. He spent a few hours a day working out, but his routine was limited to lower body and abdominals. Free time was new for him, at least during baseball season. Kenzie kept inviting him over, but he could only watch the human tornado run around the house for so long. He couldn't speak to his sister without her mentioning Sloane. It didn't surprise him when Kenzie called him right after he had tried to apologize for being a jerk.

"I knew I was right!"

"About what?" She was normally right about everything, including whether her kid needed a new diaper. How could she and Jett talk about shit like that all day?

"Sloane. She told me about her family. You know she's perfect for you."

"Except I don't like her." He liked to look at her and had a mental list of things he could do with her given the opportunity, but Sloane Calhoun was not looking for a fling. She was too serious to want to fool around and say goodbye after he'd had his fill. It might take a long time before he became bored with those legs.

What did he know about her? She was a stranger. She liked baseball, hated kids, and worked hard. Maybe they had a few things in common. She was kind and stubborn. She would disagree with the former about him, but not the latter.

A few days following the celebration, their season ended in an overtime loss. Unable to help, Ben sat and watched his team give their best effort but still come up short. Another year was in the books. At least his numbers were good. His hitting average was better than the year before and as was his fielding percentage. He had every reason to feel proud, but ending the year on the IL was frustrating.

It was a somber flight back to Boston. The only thing left to do was clean their personal belongings out of their lockers. The team would disperse as each returned home. He and Jett were unusual since they called Boston home. Even when his living arrangements were temporary and he spent most of the past off seasons in Florida, home was still where his family was.

Ben felt at home more in his own place. He looked at his kitchen and was eager to start cooking again. His hand was less limited with his cast. He had use of his fingers, but he missed the freedom of the full use of his dominant hand.

He accepted an invitation from Jett the day after the team returned from their last loss. In some ways, Ben was ahead of Jett in adjusting to life without the daily grind of the game. Jett put in more preparation time than anyone. The difference was Jett had a wife and kids waiting to fill his time.

Ben had been trying to keep busy with his charity. He was sponsoring a baseball clinic for kids, but could only run the event. He couldn't help with the kids or sign autographs.

Kenzie teased him. "You don't even like kids."

"I don't hate them. I like the ones old enough to hit a ball."

Jett laughed. "As long as they only want to talk about baseball."

He had to be nice because Jett was saving the day by taking over the clinic with the help of a few other teammates. Unfortunately, he had to attend their events.

When he arrived at Jett's, his friend was alone. "Where's everyone?"

"Sean's napping. Maisy is at a friend's house, and Kenzie is shopping. The quiet won't last long." Ben nodded. "I was so damn tired and wanted the season to end, but now it has..."

"I know it sucks." Jett had been on the IL the previous season.

"Kenzie's glad to have me home."

"What so you can babysit?" He laughed. "I'm sick of the damn bike. At least you can work out."

"I know, but it won't be forever."

Kenzie's arrival interrupted their discussion about their workouts.

"Hey Benji. How's the wrist?"

"Still useless."

She bent over and kissed Jett. He felt something he didn't like. He had no reason to be jealous of his sister and best friend who loved each other up throughout the day. Any feelings of envy he had evaporated into annoyance when the doorbell rang and those graceful legs strolled into the room. She froze as if she wasn't expecting to see him either.

Jett either didn't notice the awkwardness or ignored it. "So did you have a successful trip?"

Kenzie bounced like an excited child. "Very!"

"Do I get to see?" Jett looked excited.

"Maybe later. Sloane brought me to an amazing boutique."

"She'll be the most beautiful woman at the event." Sloane complimented his sister, and he once again felt guilty for the way he had treated her.

"What event?"

"The black-tie."

"I want to get out of that one." He was not looking forward to going alone. He didn't miss Angela, but she would have been better than no date.

Kenzie waved her hand. "You just need a date. Take Sloane. She bought an amazing dress too."

Sloane stammered. "I bought it with a different event in mind."

He shot his sister daggers with his eyes.

"Seriously Benjy! She's the perfect date for you."

"Why do you say that? No offense." Sloane nodded as she bit her lip.

Kenzie sighed. "Because she presents herself well, unlike that tramp who was all boobs."

"Kenzie." Jett warned his wife.

"You two would make a striking couple. You can't deny it."

"She probably already has plans with her brother." Ben attempted a joke.

"We broke up."

"See perfect! Ben and his girl did too. I thought you said you agreed to be friends."

She smiled. "I'd be willing. It's no big deal for me to put on a dress and sip champagne."

"And dance!"

Ben was ready to kill his sister. If he were in jail, he wouldn't have to go.

Jett stood up. "Kenze, Sean's awake. Come get him with me." She huffed and followed him.

"You don't have to." His voice was quiet.

"I won't if you prefer I didn't. I'm happy to help as a friend."

"Would you dress up like you did for the Boy's Club thing?"

She nodded. "I usually wear my hair up."

"I liked your dress." He wasn't sure why he said it.

"The way you glared at me, it should have been scarlet."

"Would you just accept my twenty apologies? I feel guilty as hell. It's not a feeling I like." It was one he lived with every day.

She let out a long, slow breath. "Fine, but you owe me a favor which I will call in one day. Don't worry, it won't embarrass you or hurt anything but your macho pride."

"Macho pride?"

"Forget I said that. It's up to you if you want a date."

He worried his reluctance had more to do with the fear he might enjoy an evening together. "Fine. If it will make everyone happy then fine."

"Fine. I just hope I don't have a work emergency. I'd hate to stand you up."

He shrugged. "Someone has to save our passwords from the Russians."

She laughed. "It isn't always that glamorous. It's grueling."

"Why do you do it?"

"The same reason you play a hundred-sixty-two games a year. I'm damn good at it."

He held up his cast. "I was short a few games."

The door banged, and Maisy appeared.

"Oh. Hi Sloane and Uncle Ben. Where're...?" She looked around.

"Upstairs with the disaster." Ben looked at her eyes and smiled. He didn't want Kimmy's daughter to think he hated her. "Um, how was your visit with your friend?"

She started talking animatedly about playing something. He saw Kimmy in her expressions. He looked away when he noticed Sloane looking at him funny. He was never so glad for the distraction of his nephew running into the room yelling to his sister.

Kenzie looked at him. "Did you agree?" He nodded. "Good. Ben, you might actually have fun."

He walked away to the bathroom to splash cold water on his face — one handed.  Sloane was too good for a guilty guy like him.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

271K 12.8K 41
(Complete) Kenzie Lynch grew up around baseball, but her father refuses to let her get involved with any players. Christopher Jett's loves baseball...
118K 9.7K 40
(Complete) The story of the third Hayes brother. Stuck in a loveless marriage, Trey Hayes bears the guilt of sending his brothers away. Secrets abo...
109K 8.1K 37
(Complete) After ten years, Jonathan Hayes returns home with a broken heart to find some things haven't changed. Supporting his brother has never bee...
23.9K 746 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...