A Million Miles Apart (Wish 4)

By pseudoannie

(Complete) Sloane Calhoun built a career on her brains not her family name. When she meets her major crush... More

A Million Miles Apart
The Wish Series Family Tree
1 - Baseball
2 - Breach
3 - Meat
4 - A Wish
5 - Back in Boston
6 - An Invitation
8 - Excellent match
9 - Past stay in the past
10 - Tee off
11 - Dressed up
12 - Two minutes
13 - Gold digger
14 - Edward
15 - No shame
16 - Pipe dream
17 - Bad break
18 - A text
19 - Friends
20 - Dirt
21 - Macho pride
22 - Two left feet
23 - Favorite color
24 - Burgers
25 - Flames
26 - Blue
27 - Trust
28 - Art
29 - Magic
30 - Wishes
31 - Deflect and evade
32 - An onion
33 - Missed calls
34 - Hot stove
35 - Trust me
36 - Wishes do come true
37 - Spring Training
38 - The Fountain
A Million Miles Apart

7 - Whittled your way

4.6K 334 70
By pseudoannie

Ben wasn't going home to eat room service when he could have a meal with his family, and he hadn't had a chance to visit his father since before their last road trip. He and Jett left the clubhouse together and drove in their own cars. Jett pulled into his garage, but Ben parked in the driveway. The neighbors were respectful and gave them the privacy they deserved. When Jett lived in the house alone, none of the neighbors knew he lived there. That changed when Maisy moved in. She was a kid, so she played outside and took the bus. Neighbor's children probably ran through their house. Ben imagined sticky fingers and dirty feet. Kenzie loved every minute. Ben couldn't believe they wanted to have another kid. The one they had was a handful, even if they denied it.

He greeted his father first. He still called him coach, and they exchanged a quick hug. He didn't hug his father's wife, but smiled. "Hi Betsy."

"Nice game, Ben." He only had one hit but made some good plays.

"We've been talking to Kenzie's friend." Coach pointed to Kenzie.

"What's she doing here?" His question came out in a harsh whisper.

"Your sister invited her. What's wrong with you?"

"She's an overzealous fan."

Jett appeared. "Are you being rude again? It's my house, and I asked my wife to invite her."

Thanks to Jett, Ben felt like a jerk. His father patted his back. "You need to trust. Not all women are like your mother, just like not all ball players steal wives."

"Good thing for Jett you finally let him near your daughter."

"Hey, I'm giving him grandchildren. I might just be the favored son."

"I'll gladly give you that title." It was not a secret Ben wasn't a fan of kids.

Kenzie called to him. "Hey Benjy, do you know Sloane?"

He didn't have a chance to answer. "We've met." Her reply was reserved. He couldn't tell if she disliked him or if he made her nervous. Her glass shook in her hand.

When the little destruction ran near her, she smiled a thin smile. She wasn't impressed either. He found himself smiling.

The dinner conversation turned into a lively conversation about some of the recent changes to the game. Jett was not a fan of video review of plays. As a first baseman, they ruled more in his favor, and so Ben liked them. To his surprise, Sloane argued with him against Jett. Kenzie watched, amused. He suspected his sister would have thoughtful arguments for both sides. She wasn't afraid to argue with her husband. Perhaps the company stopped her.

Maisy turned to Sloane, and she smiled at her. "What grade are you in?"

Of course she liked kids and could talk to them. "Fourth."

"Fourth grade. I think that's the grade my friend, Jonathan and his friends used to spy on me and my friends on the playground."

"What were you doing?"

"Nothing. Maybe playing four square or practicing cart wheels."

"Did they stop?"

She nodded and smiled. "My older brother told me to follow them around instead. They got annoyed and stopped."

"So you did the spying." Maisy smiled.

"Students were always complaining about spying on the playground." Kenzie smiled at her daughter. "Do kids do that at your school, Maise?"

Maisy shrugged.

When Sloane looked up, pink crept into her cheeks. He couldn't figure her out.

Jett asked, "Are you traveling again?"

She nodded. "I have an early flight to JFK. I'll be in the New York all week."

"We'll be there on Friday."

"I'll miss you then."

Kenzie said, "Your job is very impressive."

Ben asked, "Where did you go to school?"

She looked flustered anytime he spoke to her. "I went to MIT. Kenzie, where did you get your teaching degree?"

"Boston College."

"With them?" Sloane looked for Ben to Jett. Did she know everything about him? It was unnerving.

"Yes, but my son didn't graduate." Leave it to his father to remind him.

"Dad, water under the bridge. It was the right decision to join the draft."

"Did you?" She turned to Jett.

"Uh, huh. I have a degree in finance."

"So you can give financial advice in the clubhouse." She laughed.

She was right, because he did.

Betsy left the table, when the destruction let everyone know he finished eating by throwing his food. He pelted a carrot off Ben's shirt.

Coach laughed. "He's got a good arm. Maybe we'll have a pitcher in the family."

Dinner was over and Sloane turned to Kenzie. "I should probably go. I have an early flight. Thank you, it was lovely."

"You'll come back again." Kenzie hugged her. "Benjy, can drive you home."

She began to protest, which relieved him. Jett spoke up. "He won't mind, right Ben?"

He had no choice, so he agreed. He wouldn't be a jerk in front of his father. He was his coach, and he looked up to him. She followed him out onto the walkway.

"I'm sorry I was just about to order an Uber. It's fine."

"No, I'll take you. Where do you live?" He sighed.

She hesitated. "If you can drop me at my brother's place, I was planning to stop by there." She told him the address. He knew where it was because it was close to Boston College. She had her phone out texting.

When she finished, neither spoke and the silence was painful. He rested his elbow on the center console but moved it because it was too close to his passenger. Finally, he broke the silence. "So the guy at the game is your boyfriend?"

"No, Dom and I work together. Your girlfriend wasn't at dinner."

"What? Who? My sister said something, didn't she?" Through his peripheral, he could see she nodded. "She isn't my girlfriend. I'm not in highschool. She attends events with me and we get together occasionally."

"She's not one of those girls you pay?"

His jaw dropped, and he was about to tell her what was what, but he turned briefly and saw she was smiling. "You're not really funny. What is it you want from us, anyway?"

"Want?"

"You must have whittled your way in for a reason." He didn't trust her.

"Seriously? I was invited to sit and have dinner the first time. I'm not sure I would have even spoken to you if Tex hadn't tried to hit on me. I might have asked for autographs like the fangirl I am."

"But you keep showing up."

"Because Jett invites me. Kenzie invited me today. I was probably more shocked to be invited to dinner than you were to see me there. You know your sister better than me."

He nodded. It sounded like Kenzie. "But what do you want?"

"Nothing! Although you didn't sign my baseball. I like Jett, but you have always been my favorite on the team." He shook his head. He was popular with the lady fans. "In case you were concerned, the money doesn't impress me. I make a good living and have very little expenses. Honestly, clothing is my biggest expenditure."

"More than rent?"

"I'm only home three days a week. Although I've been thinking about buying a condo, I still live with my parents. I know I'm a little old, but it makes sense."

He couldn't imagine living with his father. Ben had been on his own since he was twenty-one and in college before that.

"I've been considering a condo too."

"You don't have a house?" She sounded surprised.

"I live in a hotel. It's easier since I'm hardly home. I have a house in Florida." Why was he telling her?

"You can pull up on the right." She pointed. "There past the traffic light." He looked up and saw an impeccable Victorian. Her brother must have a good job, because properties in the area were pricey. He had some teammates who lived nearby. "Thanks for the ride. Sorry to invade your family dinner."

She jumped out and was gone before he could respond. Not that he had any clue what he might have said. Perhaps have a good life, except knowing his sister, he'd be seeing her again.

Thanks for reading and voting ⭐️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.9K 746 37
Megan had the perfect life-a life with a loving husband, a beautiful home, her dream job, and anything she could ever want for. That is, through the...
118K 9.7K 40
(Complete) The story of the third Hayes brother. Stuck in a loveless marriage, Trey Hayes bears the guilt of sending his brothers away. Secrets abo...
5.7K 254 39
"You've become so damaged that when someone tries to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respond." He says taking a step closer to me...
14.2K 455 35
If You Were Given A Wish To Make What Would It Be? Only ONE Wish. I Made Mine. But There Was A High Price To Pay. . . . WARNING *Sensitive Subjec...