Kissing Is the Easy Part

By rainbowbrook

{a Wattpad featured story} Flora is afraid being beautiful is her only talent. Some of the words she hates... More

Introduction
Part 1 ◎ Chapter 1 The Kelly bag
Chapter 2 The Ritz Carlton suite
Chapter 4 The condom
Chapter 5 The party and the confession
Chapter 6 The phone calls
Chapter 7 The coffee date
Chapter 8 The photo albums and the easy part
Chapter 9 The dance
Chapter 10 The movie and The Cape
Chapter 11 The virginity issue
Chapter 12 The body shot
Chapter 13 The fights
Chapter 14 The lie
Chapter 15 The "I love you"
Chapter 16 The worst fear
Chapter 17 The heartless creature
Part 2 ◎ Chapter 18 The sanctuary
Chapter 19 The violin recital (1)
Chapter 19 The violin recital (2)
Chapter 20 The kiss (1)
Chapter 20 The kiss (2)
Chapter 21 The beach
Chapter 22 The knee injury
Chapter 23 The wishes (1)
Chapter 23 The wishes (2)
Chapter 23 The wishes (3)
Chapter 24 The end of summer (1)
Chapter 24 The end of summer (2)
Part 3 ◎ Chapter 25 The Louis Vuitton
Chapter 26 The sushi and the grilled eels
Chapter 27 The bet
Chapter 28 The family dinner
Chapter 29 The ice-cream date
Chapter 30 The revenge plan
Chapter 31 The planning comittee
Chapter 32 The winter wonderland
Chapter 33 The candy floss
Chapter 34 The perfect moment
Chapter 35 The angel
Chapter 36 The confession
Chapter 37 The termination
Chapter 38 The flowers and poems
Chapter 39 The pink bubble
Part 4 ◎ Chapter 40 The Whisper Dishes
Chapter 41 The Greenland huskies
Chapter 42 The lake and the strawberries
Chapter 43 The revelation
Chapter 44 The double date
Chapter 45 The beach house
Chapter 46 The 1975 Bordeaux and jealousy
Chapter 47 The dark alley kiss
Part 5 ◎ Chapter 48 The yearbook
Chapter 49 The nail polish
Chapter 50 The German test
Chapter 51 The warehouse
Chapter 52 The Michelin dinner
Chapter 53 The F word
Chapter 54 The little black book
Chapter 55 The cake and the carnival
Chapter 56 The massage
Chapter 57 The microwave popcorn
Chapter 58 The vampire party
Chapter 59 The Gucci perfume (1)
Chapter 59 The Gucci perfume (2)
Part 6 ◎ Chapter 60 The NYC trip
Chapter 61 The tiramisu and the Kelly bag
Chapter 62 The history presentation
Chapter 63 The Gatorland excursion
Chapter 64 The Prom
Chapter 65 The last dance
Chapter 66 The Finale
sequel

Chapter 3 The difficult case

717K 27.2K 13.9K
By rainbowbrook

Janet

Everybody has a friend like this.

You know the kind. They may not be the closest to you, know you the longest or understand you the best, but they always pop into your head without warning. They're the friend you talk about, who makes you start a sentence with their names. They stand out like a dash of red on a canvas of blue and brown, a flamingo among the pigeons, a harp against the drums.

I met Flora when we were both freshmen in high school. She had a seemingly elegant, almost demure composition, but this impression was overthrown the minute she opened her mouth. She couldn't stop talking, and her energy sizzled off her body like static electricity. Even when she was whispering, it was done loudly and crassly, and when accompanied by her huge database of expressions and gestures, she left me slightly dizzy.

We didn't seem like we belong in the same group. I don't want to sound like a Taylor Swift song here, but Flora the cheerleader wore high heels and her skirt was so short she made me blush. Her nose looked so perfect it could only be preordered.

First three words that came to my head: rich, bratty, surgery.

The rich part turned out to be true. Bratty? Occasionally. Rhinoplasty? Nope. The girl was just lucky.

I was proud of my vintage collection of rock band tees and my sneakers. I didn't own a single dress before turning 14 and my hair was way too short. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to base my hair style on Marie Fredriksson from Roxette; if you're into the Swedish pop rock band then you get the idea.

Before high school, most of my friends were guys. Their honesty was what I liked most about them. They wouldn't refuse something then get mad at you later for not persuading them harder. If I wasn't hanging around my older brother and his friends, I'd be practicing with my band members, or sitting on the doorsteps chatting with my best friend/next door neighbor Sean.

I was always honored to be one of the guys.

However, as my hair grew longer with age, I started to see the opposite sex differently. How did they go from eww to yum in one second? I'd be lying if I said I didn't care at all about my own appearance, and when Flora crashed into my life with her makeover offer, I took the chance.

Never really thought we'd get along splendidly, until we did. She, the walking drama, always ready to entertain, and me, the sarcastic observer, forever psychoanalyzing people and changing my opinions of the world.

I adored Flora, but that doesn't mean I liked to meddle in her love affairs. I knew from past experiences that she had a very different idea on relationships compared to most people.

Flora and Sean were a mess I didn't want to take part in, but I tried my best to give them some alone time when we hung out one afternoon. Sean practically flung every chance I gave him back in my face like a boomerang.

On the way back from the movie, he dropped Flora off first then drove on home with me. My mobile phone buzzed and I saw that I had a message from Flora.

I know you don't want to but would you please please please ask him what he thinks because I'm at wits end. And don't make me sound desperate.

I groaned inwardly at the most desperate text I'd read in a while. Why did I always get stuck being the messenger? This wasn't the first time a girl asked me about Sean's opinion, what he liked or whether he had a girlfriend. The guy should hire me as his agent and I could throw him a press conference and get it over with.

"I noticed you didn't seem particularly interested in Flora," I brought it up dutifully.

Sean stopped at a red light. "Well, it's not that. I can't imagine anyone not at least a little bit interested in Flora. I think it's more like not wanting to get involved."

"Really? Why?"

"I think Flora is pretty hot, but so does every other guy at this school. I don't want to check every second if someone else is checking her out."

I chuckled in surprise. "I've never known you to be scared of competition."

"In the case of Flora Morgan I think I am a little scared. And you know how secretly I'm the jealous boyfriend, and something tells me if we dated there'd be plenty of things to provoke me."

"You're not even tempted for some harmless casual dating?" I figured that was what Flora was aiming for anyway.

"You mean just have fun and go with it? That sounds like something only Jake would say." Jake was the star on the basketball team and a real player, both on and off the court. "Not that I need to make it into something serious, but if I know in advance it's not going to work out, I probably wouldn't initiate it."

"Well, I admire your morals. Most people would jump at the chance of initiating anything with her, serious or not serious." Sean had a bunch of rules that he set for himself, and he always tried to do the right thing.

"I think she goes through guys like collecting designer bags. It's like she has a list of 'guys to date before graduating high school'," he said. This analogy was probably inspired by the Chanel bag Flora was carrying earlier. "I'm just not comfortable with the idea of being a name that is waiting to be crossed off."

"Well..." I hesitated. I didn't want to meddle in their business but I felt I had to say something. "Just to set the record straight, she's had a crush on you for two years. She keeps trying to get to know you better, but she thinks you brush her off."

Sean turned his attention away from the road and glanced at me briefly.

"To her you're more like the guy to date before graduating high school."

He laughed. "Wow. Thanks for telling me that."

"It's true. Remember in freshman year when you were tutoring me on math and she'd ask to join? And you kicked her out of your tutoring session?"

"Yeah, but that was because she didn't need it. She was distracting me."

"She thought you didn't like her because she wasn't smart enough."

"I've never thought that. Ever. I think she's just lazy about studying."

I glanced at Sean, who wasn't showing too much enthusiasm about finding his new not-so-secret admirer. On the outside they seemed like a good match. Good to look at together, at least, but they sent out opposite vibes.

Being around Sean made me feel like reaching out for soft, falling snow. He was perpetually calm and cool. Flora was more like an avalanche. She was unapologetic and in your face, but you just couldn't look away.

"So...are you really not interested? Because I can make things happen if you are." I really hate this job. "Speak now or forever hold your peace."

He hesitated for a brief second and smiled. "I'll pass. I'm sure she's not serious about me anyway."

To be honest I wasn't even surprised. I knew all about Sean's dating pattern, and I knew he tended to avoid difficult cases. He was busy enough being a jock on the outside and a science nerd on the inside, and he knew better than to challenge himself with someone like Flora.

It wasn't a confidence thing; it had more to do with just how unimportant relationships were to him and how unmotivated he was about working for it. He usually let fate happen.

In freshman year he had commented once about my friends Sandra and Flora.

"You're friends with the most beautiful girls in school," he remarked. "What are they like?" It was more out of curiosity than interest.

"They're actually pretty nice, not what I expected. Especially Flora."

He nodded. "Yeah, she seems to be very outgoing."

He had left it at that, but it showed Sean's definition of beauty was the same as everyone else, and I knew he liked them pretty. He was superficial like every other guy I knew; it was looks before personality, at least in the initial state of attraction.

Two weeks later he announced that he asked out his lab partner Sharon, who was a nice enough girl but I thought he did it mainly for the convenience. He never went out of his way to meet a girl or stressed over how to make someone like him, so in a way he was really naïve about relationships.

Dating Sharon just made sense, since they talked over a crystallization procedure and Sean seemed to think it was a good idea to combine chemistry with chemistry.

"She said my eyes were the color of copper sulfate," he reported. "I think she likes me. Although to be fair my eyes are much darker."

I rolled my eyes. "You fell for that? Is that like the nerdy version of pickup line?"

He laughed. "Chemicals really turn me on," he joked. "And Sharon is pretty."

He went out with Sharon for a few times, but it faded soon when he transferred most of his energy to practicing for basketball team tryouts. Later there were a few others in the same fashion, such as the girl who sat next to him in English and the partner in German class. He dated them briefly in classic high school fashion, no more than a few weeks with fading intensity. The dates were mainly just an activity to fill up an occasional opening. He let it diminish naturally before it turned into anything concrete.

Dating was more like a recreational thing for him, a why not rather than something that he felt he had to keep adding fuel in to keep moving, and that's why it surprised me so much when I witnessed what happened later with Flora.

He just didn't know what it felt like to meet that one person who challenged him, who drove him insane and madly in love, and made his life a living hell, until he met her.

***

Dedicated with love to @inevitxble for making me the cover/banner in the media. Thank you so much! x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.2M 423K 79
"You know, it won't physically hurt you to be nice for once." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and groaned. "I don't want to take a chance." t...
284K 16.3K 37
Moe Rivas has spent her whole life waiting for the perfect storybook romance, but as she approaches her senior year of college -- single, and incredi...
65 10 7
Guinevere Goode is contemptuous of her life. A great career, a wonderful boyfriend soon to be fiance, and a nice roof over her head. The world is mov...
381K 21.6K 60
Rhysand, Everything is in here. I'm sorry I stole them. Your hoodie, your cologne, your earrings, your college shirt and all your other shirts, your...