Melody Riddle and the Goblet...

By fantasywriter19

Melody Riddle Book 4 Melody Riddle's life has the foresight of becoming far more hectic than she'd ever expec... More

Chapter 1: Devotion Differences
Chapter 2: Maternity Excuses
Chapter 3: Dress Shop.. Drama
Chapter 4: Adoption for Discussion
Chapter 5: True Friend
Chapter 6: Accidents and Souvenirs
Chapter 7: The Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 8: Vision of a Dark Mark
Chapter 9: EVERYTHING is Unexpected
Chapter 10: Back to School
Chapter 11: Another Sorting, Another Announcement
Chapter 12: Draco the Bouncing Ferret
Chapter 13: The Unforgivable Curses
Chapter 14: Flesh, Blood and Bone
Chapter 15: The Schools Arrive
Chapter 16: Krum and Karkaroff
Chapter 17: The Goblet's Choices
Chapter 18: Harry's Been Chosen
Chapter 19: Lying and Flirting
Chapter 20: Weighing the Wands
Chapter 21 : Dark Magic
Chapter 22: The First Task
Chapter 23: Friends Always Help
Chapter 24: Finding a Date
Chapter 25: Preparations for the Ball
Chapter 26: The Yule Ball
Chapter 27: A War of Emotions
Chapter 28: Teaching
Chapter 29: The Second Task
Chapter 30: Surrendering to Feelings
Chapter 31: Sacrifice
Chapter 32: Plan to be Set in Motion
Chapter 33: Trading Info
Chapter 34: The Third Task
Chapter 35: Rebirth
Chapter 36: A Historical Duel
Chapter 37: "Moody" Busted
Chapter 38: Fudge's Denial
Chapter 40: A Mother's Fury

Chapter 39: My Reveal

468 13 9
By fantasywriter19

 "How long have you known?" Severus asked as we crossed the grounds to the gate.

"Long enough," I replied curtly, reaching the gate and pushing on it. It creaked open and I moved a bit further away from it before turning and standing still.

Severus closed the gate and walked over to me. "Are you going to answer fully?"

"At the moment, I don't trust your temper enough to say the whole truth," I said, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Melody...!" he growled.

"Look, you don't have all day. Let's just go and get it over with."

"If you both know that he's your father, then how do I know you're not going to tell him about my true intentions?"

For that moment I blocked my emotions, not only for the trip to see dad, but also so that the look Severus was giving me wouldn't make me realize all the sooner that I'd just lost his trust. "You have no other choice at the moment except to trust me... please...."

He took a deep breath, let it out, and nodded.

"Damn it, princess, you were supposed to come get me!!"

We turned in surprise, watching a figure bolt toward us. Crap, I almost forgot, I thought with a nervous giggle as I scratched at the back of my neck.

"What is Mr. Flint doing here?" Severus asked suspiciously.

"Um.. yeah... that's not Marcus.."

The figure of Marcus Flint drew nearer until he stood right in front of us, glaring furiously down at me. "I don't want to be stuck here any longer than I have to — and take all of this off of me! "

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

The plan... had been oh so simple, and yet oh so effective. Immediately after Marcus had agreed to do whatever my plan was — since he had no idea — I pulled my wand out and silently stupefied him.

He'd fallen to the floor in a crumpled heap.

I turned to Barty, a grin still plastered to my face as he warily leaned back. 'Moody's' body could only move so far.

"What are you doing, princess?"

I leaned back as well, both to calm his nerves and to relax against the chair. "Just here to tell you about my plan. In the end, he —" I gestured to Marcus, "just helps tie everything together. Here's how it's going to happen...

"First thing's first, you need to lay off the Polyjuice Potion. You won't personally need it anymore. For this to work, your father can take your place using the potion... all he needs is his memory wiped, and your memory in his place. We'll transfigure him to look younger, I mean since you are a spitting image of him. No one has seen you since before you went to Azkaban, so no one can say for certain that he isn't you when the Polyjuice of Moody wears off."

He relaxed slightly as he stared back at me. "What gave you such a bright idea?"

"Your Polyjuice storage running low poses a problem, Barty. If I don't fix it, and you get caught..." I glared pointedly at him, "then my secrets run the risk of exposure."

As he stared solemnly back at me, I wondered if anybody else would've cowered in fear at my tone of voice.

"So," he said softly, looking down at Marcus. "What's the kid for?"

"I never quite thought about it before," I noted humorously, "but you two are slightly similar in stature. We can pick a day for me to transfigure your father into you, and you into Marcus...... I don't doubt his threat to fail his NEWTs, because he's been held back a year before, so that's where this all works perfectly. He'll be held elsewhere while you take his place and pass his exams."

He groaned audibly, "You're going to make me take my NEWTs all over again?"

I chuckled, "That's pretty funny.. but technically, it's his NEWTs not yours. I don't expect you to do it perfectly, but he does have to pass."

Barty licked his lips, looking away from me to study his hands. "Why help me?"

I snorted, "Why do you ask?"

"I tried to kill you."

"And like I've already mentioned, you're one of the few to know what I have done. If you get caught, so do I."

"Then why do I feel..." he replied slowly, glancing up to lock eyes with me. "Like it's something so much more than that?"

"Would it make you feel better if I said that after it's all over, you'll owe me?"

He frowned, "Only slightly. That would just be a bonus for you."

"Well then," I'd said smugly, standing up and beginning to walk out of the room. I used the binding spell on Marcus as I walked, ropes appearing out of thin air to tie him up tightly. "I guess you'll just have to find out what it is."

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

"What do you mean I have to cast them?" I asked in dismay.

Barty and I were in the Room of Requirement — this time just an empty room for the purpose of somewhere private to work — and he asked for me to copy his memories and transfer them to his father.

In his own form, Barty was much more relaxed. "Simply put, princess, your magic is stronger than mine. I would not even make a complete dent in my entire life's story."

I bit my lip, looking down at his father with guilt slowly eating at my heart. Am I actually going to do this to an innocent man?... Erase his memories and give him his son's so he takes responsibility for his actions?

Barty Crouch Sr. shook on the floor before us, on his knees with eyes widened with fear and hands tied behind his back. He couldn't fight back.. he couldn't get away... he wouldn't even remember himself.

I have no other choice. Besides, I comforted myself, he's no angel. His actions toward his son are what made him the man he is today.

I looked up at Barty Jr. with a short nod before pointing my wand at the elder man, whispering "Obliviate..." My intentions were beyond strong, erasing everything about his life from childhood to adulthood.

His face slackened, eyes becoming blank as his mouth dropped open in a dead stupor. He fell the rest of the way to the floor.

Barty winced as I turned to him. "Just don't erase my memories," he mumbled as I pointed my wand at him.

"You should be more worried about what I'm going to see," I said cheekily before casting, "Legilimens!"

In the blink of an eye, his entire life was played before me in my mind......

His father giving him the cold shoulder every single time he asked to play with him...

His mother comforting him each night, listening to his every whim and worry...

Joking around with friends between classes at Hogwarts, and studying constantly to the point of getting perfect grades...

Flirting with a certain black-haired, blue-eyed girl he had a crush on...

Meeting Voldemort for the first time, and finding common ground in their thoughts...

Fighting alongside his fellow Death Eaters as well as joking around with them...

Torturing Muggles and any who stood in the way...

His father's harsh gaze as he sentenced him to life in prison...

Time in Azkaban trying to stay sane by joking around with the Death Eaters still within hearing distance before the constant draining of happiness began to drive him insane...

His mother coming in to switch places with him, transfiguring into his double just as his father placed him under the Imperius Curse...

From there everything was a blur, mainly with Winky the house-elf at his side twenty four seven... the day Bertha Jorkins found him, and his father obliviated her...

The Quidditch World Cup when he'd finally, in the middle of the match, defeated the Imperius Curse and stole the wand of the kid in front of him — Harry Potter...

Casting the Dark Mark amidst the chaos of the idiot Death Eaters playing around with Muggles while hoping against hope that they would find him.. what a disappointment they all were...

Being in the house alone with his father since he fired Winky, with the unbearable awkwardness of him trying to talk to him as if they had ever been close.. offering love that he'd never given before — what a waste it was...

Voldemort rescuing him from his father's tyranny, and giving him a job to finally exercise his mind after so long without control over his thoughts or actions...

Capturing Alastor Moody with some difficulty as he fought back hard.. only catching him by surprise once he Apparated behind him...

Tricking Dumbledore and the staff into believing he was Mad-Eye, having practiced with the latter often to get his mannerisms just right...

Getting close to Harry Potter, and tricking him into a false sense of security.. eventually prizing this Marauder's Map from his possession — willingly on his part...

Working and discussing ideas with the princess, watching with pride as she dedicated her whole attention to searching that night for the potion to bring her father back to glory...

Getting frustrated with how easily she made it look to play both sides when he had gone to Azkaban to prove his loyalty to his Lord.. she could still stand under Dumbledore's nose without him catching her.. how come she got everything easy...?

Orchestrating everything behind the scenes of the tournament to get Harry Potter through safely.. Harry Potter made everything so damn difficult with the second one.. all was almost lost and yet the princess didn't bat an eye...

He knew he didn't deserve the princess' surprising kindness as she formulated a plan to save his life.. despite his hard attempt at pushing for her death to be swift...

I gasped as I came back to myself, trying to relax my mind despite the information overload.

Barty was doubled over on the floor gasping for air as well, "Are you... all right... princess?"

With one deep breath, I replied "Y-yeah.." before turning to his father, still out of sorts on the ground. Kneeling down next to him, I stowed my wand away as I decided to test if I could do without it.... Knowing I had dark intentions involved, I felt the darkness swallow me as I placed the tips of my fingers against his forehead, playing through most everything I had just seen. I made sure to omit every memory that had to do with me, and by the end of it I recreated everything I was a part of.

Instead of me taking care of the potions... I, Barty Crouch Jr., made them myself. I dragged Miss Riddle into the room after it was finished, and then threatened for her to pour her magic in or else I'd get her kicked out of school. After that, she had passed out for a few hours in exhaustion... during those few hours, with word from the Dark Lord, I watched the Marauder's map I took from Potter until my father showed up... I stunned Viktor Krum as he watched over him while Potter ran to get help, killing my father and transfiguring him into a bone before burying him... good riddance...... all other memories about giving or trying to give me detention were warped as I saw fit.

When I pulled my hands away, Mr. Crouch's eyes were closed in a deep sleep... or what he would later believe was a deep sleep.

A hand came into my view, and I turned to see Barty's offer to help me up. I took it, finding slight difficulty in standing as my legs wobbled. Those memories packed a lot of power, so it was amazing enough that I was even awake after all that.

"Do you need a while to regain your strength?" Barty asked in concern.

"Now you're worried about me?" I joked lightly, still feeling like I was out of breath. "Just a month ago, you tried to have me killed."

"And now I'm helping you to your feet. What's your point?"

I stared intently at him.

He chuckled, "You aren't a dark witch or wizard until you've tried to kill your friends."

Well, I hope you don't mind counting me out of that, I thought wryly to myself, imagining how guilty I'd feel if I ever tried to kill Becky, Lissy or even Draco.

"Here," he sat me down in a chair. "Now I can show you how to transfigure a person to set designs. I'll transfigure my father into me to give you an idea... then, when you've regained your strength, I'll trust you to transfigure me..."

We both glanced into the corner of the room to the other tied up prisoner. Marcus, bound and gagged, glared intensely back at us.

"... into him...."

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

In the present I felt a mischievous smile cross my lips as I folded my arms, responding in a sing-songy tone, "What's the maaagic woooords?"

Barty, as Marcus, sneered. "No one has time for —"

"There's plenty of time far as I'm concerned, Ba —"

"Both of you, " Severus snapped, "can wait for your disagreement. We have to get going. Now."

I gave a "tch" of frustration before grumbling, "Fine..."

A few waves of my wand to undo the effects of the transfiguration, and Barty stood before us with his eyes gleaming giddily. Severus stared at him in utter disbelief before subtly glaring down at me as the subject of interest became distracted with bouncing around about being himself again.

"There is a lot we need to talk about when we return," Severus quietly warned me.

I swallowed the knot that formed in my throat, "Understood."

When he held out his arms, Barty and I took them and he Disapparated us to Little Hangleton.

Severus snatched his arm away from me soon as we arrived... leaving me to bend over with my hands on my knees to keep me steady as I swallowed the need to vomit. God I hate this so much, I thought as I fought to compose my stomach. Eventually, I finally stood and nodded that I was ready to continue.

Everyone still stood by the grave and turned their heads toward us as we arrived. Dad's eyes evoked a sense of curiosity as we walked near. I kept my hand over the handle of my wand in case someone — likely dad — decided that they didn't want to hear Severus' explanation, whatever it may be.

Barty threw himself at my dad's feet in complete devotion. "My Lord... it is so satisfying to see you in your own body once again. Your magnificence is astounding! I am so pleased that the potion at least went according to plan!"

"Yes, Barty," dad replied. "We will discuss later about an appropriate reward for all of your hard efforts that led us to this point tonight."

Standing up, Barty grabbed my hand and pulled me forward so I stood next to him. "It would have all been for naught if not for Melody. My father has been taken into custody in my place due to her quick strategy."

I cleared my throat, "Ohh it's much more than that... let's just say his soul is gone."

Barty's eyes widened and he stared down at me, "Th-the Dementors — they —?"

I nodded, putting my hand on his shoulder as I smiled up at him. "Thank God it wasn't you, right?"

Barty grinned back before surprising me with a bone-crushing hug. "Thank you.... and I hope you know what you're doing when it comes to Snape," he whispered in my ear just before letting me go to bow to my dad once more. "I'll leave you to your discussion."

Dad nodded as Barty bounded away... and I stretched my limbs out to relieve my muscles of the feeling of being squeezed. Never expected that from Barty.

"Melody, my daughter..." he said, his smile large as he looked me over. His eyes seemed to hold more than curiosity at that moment, but he also appeared to be trying to hold it back. "You have made me so proud."

I smiled elatedly in response.

"What has brought you here tonight?"

As I looked him over he truly did look like a powerful man, though quite snakey. My heart seemed to flutter giddily as I stared at him, so much so that it was unbearable... and it caused me to walk forward and wrap my arms around him in a tight hug. Dad stiffened in surprise but, rather than feel embarrassed, I took the opportunity to whisper in his ear. "I saw your resurrection with my own eyes, dad. My vision was strong.. I was able to watch the thing. I just want you to know you look magnificent....

"However," I pulled away, raising my voice for both him and Severus to hear, "I'm also here to wish that you give Severus a chance to explain his actions for the past thirteen years. Believe me, he has not forsaken you as you must think he has."

I felt Severus waiting with bated breath behind me... and felt his underlying irritation. I was not going to hear the end of this.

Dad seemed to contemplate it as he looked between the two of us, decidedly ignoring the fact that I had hugged him. "You have the utmost faith in him?"

"Of course. All the one-on-one times that I've had with him for the past four years have proven himself a devoted follower... we've grown a lot closer since you and I last discussed him."

He nodded and beckoned to us. "Come, then, both of you."

We followed him a short way away from the rest of the Death Eaters who nervously awaited instructions. They began soft, idle chatter. When he turned to us, he looked at Severus questioningly.

"Tell me," he said, "Why did you never come to my aid when I fell all those years ago?"

"My Lord, I was at Hogwarts where you ordered me to be... and, I'm sorry to admit that I — as many of the Death Eaters who returned today may have thought — believed you gone and broken. Forgive me." Severus bowed his head down.

"So," dad ventured softly, "had I told you it was me after the Sorcerer's Stone, you would have stepped aside?"

"Of course, my Lord," Severus said, looking up at him. "I would have assisted you in any endeavor."

He seemed to think about that, as though he were imagining what could have happened had he trusted Severus would still be loyal to him. I think he would have helped, knowing whatever it was that Professor Dumbledore had planned which would have probably led to these plans coming to fruition years ago.

"However... you've returned late...."

"Dumbledore ordered me to... I waited so that I could come while ensuring my place in Hogwarts didn't waver. Allow me to discuss this with you privately. I assure you I've been faithful, and have many news to offer you in your glorious return."

They both looked at me and I snorted dejectedly, "I'm gone, then." I walked back over to the Death Eaters who instantly stopped conversing to stare at me. Oh... I thought awkwardly as they seemed to await a command of some sort. I lifted my chin up and this caused them to instantly turn to each other in quiet conversation. To be feared...

I only wished I could know the extent of the news Severus wanted to share with dad...... but could I really expect to be let in on anything of value after what I've just revealed to him? I mean, but it's not my fault no one but dad was willing to tell me the truth!

There was only one Death Eater that walked up to me, relatively fearless. "Does Draco know about any of this yet?" It was Lucius.

"No," I said, dreading his next sentence.

"You really must. He's been sending letters detailing how much he really likes you... this isn't something you'll be able to hide from him for much longer."

"I know... but I can't tell him right away —"

"I think —"

"It doesn't matter what you think," I snapped. Lucius looked down in exasperation, but said nothing. "I'll tell him in my own time."

"Well, how long has Snape known?" he asked. "Surely, Draco deserves to be told just as much as —"

"I've only just told Professor Snape about it — like, ten minutes ago. Everyone that is here in this graveyard are the only people who know of my willing contributions to my dad's resurrection."

"Orele doesn't even know yet?" Lucius asked curiously.

"Oh no, imagine how that would go! She'd probably ban me from even leaving home. Take me out of Hogwarts and everything.... It wouldn't go well. Nothing would go right in regards to this."

He didn't even know how to respond. That much was obvious.

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

When Severus Apparated with me back to Hogwarts a few hours later, he sped to the front gates as though forgetting I was with him. I hung back gladly, my energy drained from making myself act the part of Voldemort's equally ruthless daughter.

I reached the gate to find Severus was standing there waiting for me. Closing the gate behind me, he instantly began shouting at me.

"How long have you been helping him?"

I was taken aback, having just begun to relax. I blocked my mind with heavy walls as I responded. "Look, I don't care what you may think of me right now, but you can't just go attacking me after all that. Surely, you're as exhausted by being in his presence as I am!"

"Just answer the question!" he said.

"A while," I said, rushing toward the castle.

"That's not an answer —"

"I'm answering it in my own way! Look, you've got your reasons for working for Voldemort, and I've got mine —"

"You know I'm only doing it for Dumbledore!" he grabbed hold of my shoulders and spun me around, shaking me slightly as he ranted. "But why — why are you in league with him? I thought you were better than that! I believed in you!"

Another wall went in my mind as I looked at him angrily. "But that's not how you first started out as one of his Death Eaters! What changed your mind, Severus, that made you realize that you would rather be on the 'good' side in the world? Hm?"

"Melody —"

"So... have I turned out exactly as you thought I would four years ago when I first stepped foot into this castle? I sure looked innocent then, didn't I? I was, too, before the shadow of Lord Voldemort set in after no one else would even tell me that he was my father! I had to hear it from him! Not you! Not mom! Not Dumbledore!"

"Don't you dare turn the blame onto us! We were protecting you from becoming exactly what you are now! What you should have done, had you taken the time to think clearly about it, was to tell us that you found out so we could take the precautions necessary —"

"There are no — nor will there ever beany precautions necessary concerning me! And what is this about 'what you now are,' huh? I just saved you from possibly being murdered —"

"You did no such thing! He would have listened to me without your unnecessary assistance," Severus shouted. Then he shook his head, releasing me to keep walking up to the castle. "I have to talk to Dumbledore —"

"Don't you dare tell Professor Dumbledore," I said, grabbing hold of his wrist to stop him in place. "I let you know because you also follow Voldemort, so it was better that I tell you myself than for dad to tell you for me. Professor Dumbledore does not. If you tell him, then —" I couldn't even finish the sentence.

I had literally almost threatened him.... Fighting with Severus wasn't exactly what I had expected I would have to do and... well, I just couldn't bear to finish my sentence.

He glared sternly at me, "If I tell him, then what...? What were you going to say after that?"

My mouth was open, but my throat choked up. I put up another wall and said smoothly, "Just don't tell him.... Please."

Severus stared back at me in complete silence for a few moments before breaking it, "Where is Mr. Flint?"

"The out-of-order girl's bathroom."

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"No one goes in there, so it was a good place to keep him hidden," I shrugged. "Myrtle doesn't ask any questions. So long as I hang out with her when I can... I think she's having fun torturing him with her monologues, anyways."

He grit his teeth, waiting another few moments before asking the question I felt like he really wanted to ask from the start. "Switching Crouch was your idea?"

"Yes."

"You cast the spells yourself to make it happen?"

"Yes."

He seemed frustrated beyond repair as he glared down at me. "You knew you were sending an innocent man to Azkaban for crimes he never committed."

It felt like that should've been a question.. and yet, it was so effective on damaging my nerves of goodness that it hardly mattered how it was phrased. "How innocent can he really be when his negligence helped create such a monster out of Barty?"

With that, I left a stunned Severus on the grounds as I stormed into the castle, donning the Disillusionment Charm on myself as I went.

⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛ ⚯͛

Author's Note: This whole chapter right here... wasn't this long when I first wrote it. Why? Because, originally, I didn't stray from canon to save Barty. I'd been so afraid to make that major decision at the time despite it crossing my mind multiple times, which was perhaps why Melody also didn't have as many interactions with him like she does now. This change scared me because, to pull it off, Melody would have to commit an act so heinous that describing it would have been torture. With my growing strength as a writer, it was a fun test of my ability to fully let my imagination run wild. I don't regret it. ^_^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.9K 70
---------------------------- When the Wizarding World falls. Who will Rise? 'You put your faith in the wrong person.Don't you see Potter? I was born...
158 14 10
"๐†๐ž๐ง๐ž๐ฏ๐ข๐ž๐ฏ๐ž, ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ฐ๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐š ๐๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก ๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ž๐ซ..?" "๐ˆ'๐ฆ ๐ฌ๐จ๐ซ๐ซ๐ฒ, ๐‡๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ฒ." โ”€โ”€โ”€ ยท ใ€‚๏พŸโ˜†: *.โ˜ฝ .* :โ˜†๏พŸ...
8.4M 236K 100
โ›And do you know what's the stupidest thing about this?โœ said Draco and made an aggressive step towards me. โ›That after all this,โœ he grasped my fore...
4.5K 190 22
Melody Riddle Book 3 For a year she expected to be simple, Melody Riddle finds it is not as easy as she'd hoped. With Dementors on the prowl, a convi...