One Door Away

By dreztrak

Peter, who's currently in his second year in College, encounters countless dilemmas along with his journey of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 10

64 7 1
By dreztrak

Hey! Author here.

After you're done reading this chapter, I hope that you would give my friend's book a shot! It's a fantasy book with LGBT characters set on an early era of humanity.

The Prince Gone Rogue by chlscrmnt
https://www.wattpad.com/story/228373319-the-prince-gone-rogue

~~

'I can't take it anymore.' She hugged the pillow along with her folded legs. The more she cries, the more her breathing got worse. I did not say anything in order for her to release.

'Being the eldest in the family naturally have certain responsibilities that one should take but –' she took a deep breath before resuming. '– they're forcing me. Those monsters are making me –'

'Jenna.' I moved closer to her and held her hand tenderly. 'Calm down. Deep breaths. I'm here, no matter what. Tell me, what are they forcing you to do?'

'They're pitting me against my brother,' she said in both anger and sadness. 'Why would they do that to a teen who's yet to realize what the world truly is. Why are they making him suffer along with me?'

Jenna hiccuped many times. Her cries were heart breaking for me who knows and understands what she's going through. Jenna's family is peculiar to say the least.

As we grew up, Owen and I have always been the source of relief of Jenna whenever she gets suffocated from all the expectations she couldn't meet required by her parents.

Her parents started manipulating her ever since she was young, saying that if she didn't do this and that, they would disown her. From there, it went downhill as she became enlightened more and more about her circumstances. As far as I know, the main problem she's facing was the inheritance set by her grandfather.

'Grandpa died, Peter,' she muttered. 'Grandpa died. And now, half of the inheritance will go to me. My parents, they're forcing me to give it to them and if I don't, I would be removed from the family and my brother would also experience what I felt.'

'Hmm?'

'My brother, I don't think he can take it if I leave him alone. He's fragile, easy to break and manipulated. I learned that the hard way and it almost ruined my life.'

Jenna's distraught face implied that she really cares for her little brother. Although she talks to us regarding her problems, she doesn't weep that much. She's more used to putting up a front than crying it out. I've known her like that ever since we became friends.

'Cry it out, Jenna,' I consoled her. 'Anything I can do to help?'

'No,' she sobbed. 'Just stay with me, I don't know what might happen to myself if I'm left alone.'

'Jenna.' My heart felt weak seeing her in this state. In my embrace, her eyes stopped tearing up.

'Let it all out.' I smiled at her. 'We've been through so much and we have to stay strong.'

'I know,' she said as she looked at me with her eyes filled with agony. 'But what did my brother and I do to deserve this?'

I remained silent, not knowing how to answer such question. It's better if I don't say anything because I might invalidate her experiences. It has been rough on Jenna, and I just want to take my share on her load.

She stopped crying. Seeing her current state, I went to the fridge to get some water for her. 'Here.' I gave her the glass of water as I pet her hair. 'Drink it.'

'Thank you.' She lay on my thigh as I caressed her hair. Five minutes after, she fell asleep and I slowly got out from my position.

*

Jenna had already left when I took out my study materials and analyzed the handout. We talked for a while, but I did not have the chance to tell her where I was going later. I turned the chair opposite to my desk and laid-back feeling tired from studying. I played a song to decrease the tension built up in my head.

Having an urge to dance, I began vibing with the song. I stood up, moved my body, and bopped to the light rhythm I was hearing. As I bang my head, I unexpectedly looked at the clock.

3:50 pm.

'Shit!' I said in panic.

'So much time has passed, I forgot about Henry.' I strode to the closet, looking for something that highlights my long legs. I went to the mirror and observed myself. I was wearing a beige high waisted pants with hanging suspenders and a black fitted v-neck.

I was rushing out after wearing my shoes, not wanting to be late or anything. I checked my phone to see the time and if there were messages. No texts yet – good – but I wasted five minutes changing.

Two minutes before 4, I ran to the nearest bench when I got to the park. As I sat down, I looked at the time, giggled, and said to myself, 'What am I getting excited for?'

Exactly on time, I saw Henry wearing khaki shorts with a blue floral polo with two buttons unbuttoned from the collar. He waved at me and I waved back saying, 'Right on time.'

'Been waiting long?'

'Nope,' I said as he offered his hands to pull me up. Grabbing his hand, I was dragged abruptly.

'Let's go,' he said in a short distance as he signaled me to come.

'Where exactly?'

'We're going downtown!' He shouted enthusiastically. Henry led me to the parking lot on West Drive where his car was located.

We went to the red Jeep on the far end of the lot. He unlocked the doors in his car. Before he went in, I commented, 'Nice car, man.'

'Thanks! We'll be seeing more of this baby,' He went in and I followed his actions after the door on the passenger side was opened.

It's common here to have cars of their own so I wasn't shocked at all but for Owen however, it came as a surprise knowing that he and I are in the same predicament. I still don't have one yet because I get my budget from the university. Everything was almost free at this point.

He inserted his keys and started the engine. Before driving, he turned to me as he pulled the seat belt and said, 'Wanna play some music?'

I smiled in accordance. I connected my phone through Bluetooth and played my most used playlist. Trying to make conversation, I stated, 'I'll return your clothes after I wash it.'

'Nah, I'll just take it tomorrow since we're literally neighbors,' he said stealing a glance from me. 'Didn't expect that though.'

Remembering how Jenna knew that he was across me, I said, 'Do you remember the girl who knocked on your door?'

'Yeah,' he replied. 'What about her?'

'I already knew you were the person who lives there but I was hesitant. Jenna was the one who informed me though.'

'That's why she looked familiar,' he laughed revealing an enchanting smile. 'She was with you in Starbucks, correct?'

I nodded in response. I looked outside the window as I leaned on my hand. It wasn't completely dark previously, but now I could see some of the streetlights were on.

'You familiar with laser tag? I texted you the idea about it.'

'I Google-d it,' I said shrugging.

'That's enough and it'll be cool, I swear. That is until you die and wait for the game to end.'

'I'll kill you first before others can kill you,' I said as the mood between us ease up. We might not have known each other for a long period but I was getting comfortable around him this quickly.

'Haha, try me,' he said with a smirk. 'Bet you can't even get one kill.'

I rolled my eyes at him and laughed it off. I look into my front to see a populous place with a busy traffic. Tall buildings engulfed the whole place, completing the city ambiance.

The awkward barrier between us wasn't totally gone but, some pieces of it are. He turned right at the corner of the intersection and parked on the sides.

'Here we are,' he said as he turned off the engine. Exiting the vehicle, I looked at him in confusion. 'Where?'

'Right there,' he pointed at the building where the sign labeled "Laser Tag Extreme" was.

I entered the building with Henry at the front. Techy decorations greeted us as we went inside. The room was dark; however, it was well-lit, enough for us to see figures and faces. Located at the front was the desk where we would pay for entrance as the man in the counter greeted us, 'Welcome!'

After paying, we stayed on the lobby waiting for the next game to end. Sitting with anticipation, my heart started beating faster.

'You ready?' He nudged my shoulder which made me more nervous.

'Yes?'

The fully equipped Henry chuckled as he lifted his gun. We were wearing armors and the gun wasn't so heavy. The current lobby I was in was for the third group. He explained to me that there were three teams and the last team standing wins.

'Why so nervous? I'll back you up.' He said after standing up.

Of course, there were also other people in this lobby which varied in age. It was diverse but teens were flocking the place. 'Hey, watch me,' Owen said and stepped on the seat.

'Can I get everyone's attention?' Everyone looked at him after he shouted. 'This is my friend's first game ever and I would like it if everyone here cooperates to what I'm about to propose.'

'Henry!' I said in both astonishment and inhibition as I tapped his heel. 'What are you doing?'

'What?' Lines formed on his forehead as he smiled and frowned at the same time. 'Just trust me.'

'Fine.'

'Now that I have everyone's assistance, assuming that y'all are okay with it, I want everyone here to refer to me as cap'n.' His eyes glistened as he said those words with motivation and drive.

'Yes, captain!' A teen on the side shouted.

'That did not work,' he laughed. 'Anyway, I would send out orders and I want everyone to follow them. I will do the impossible – no one will get shot under my command.'

'I call BS,' an older guy had responded.

'Trust me,' he said smiling.

The game had already started and amazingly, no one has died. Henry's lead was weak at first because only few followed but when they saw that they tagged other teams at a fast rate, many followed.

'You're great at this,' I complimented him.

'I know,' he stated with confidence. 'Thank me more, 'cause you still haven't died yet.'

Ignoring his banter with a cough, I replied, 'I'm still alive not because of your guidance, but because of my ability. I'm good at this, baby.' I ran to the nearest wall and took a sneak, aiming at the person who's behind the barricade.

'Good luck,' Henry shouted.

By now, I have already tagged about 4 people and I think no one still has died on our side. Surprisingly, the teens were really good at this. The game's coming to an end as I ran back to Henry who was hiding behind the fence.

'Peter, on your side!' I heard the voice in front of me shouting. Next thing I knew, I was already out of the game.

'Oh no, I'm dead,' I said slowly as I dramatically fall onto the ground. 'Look! My blood is all over the place. Avenge me, cap'n.'

'I will, fallen soldier!' He went along with my act. I found it funny when he shouted to the other people alive with an accent, 'We shall avenge Peter, who's efforts are recognized.'

At the end, Henry remarkably led the team to its victory. I came up to him and said, 'You were amazing back there. It's sad that I died – I wanted to reduce the enemies more. Ugh.'

'You were also great,' he said acting all proud and mighty. He appeared so mesmerizing with his beautiful features and the aura he's releasing.

'That was fun. Again?

'Sure.'

We played two more games after the previous one and we lost both of them. I snickered at Henry who ultimately failed and was killed first on the third game.

'I can't believe I got shot first,' he said outrageously as I got out of the battlefield. 'Damn.'

It was already nighttime when we went outside. Henry had suggested that we should take out buffalo wings, but I declined since I still haven't yet eaten the wings he gave me.

I was withering like a plant, dehydrated and exhausted. I bought a water bottle before going into Henry's car. He drove us back while playing 2000's songs. 

~~

If you liked this chapter, please leave a vote and a comment! 

X.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

565K 24.5K 19
Living in a suite-style college dorm meant being in close quarters with plenty of personalities: good, bad, and even mildly psychotic. James liked to...
117K 4.5K 27
I'm Finn Vasco but that's not quite important right now. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy if I'm gonna be honest. I'm closed off and I literally only have...
271K 11.4K 49
" But the dare is so easy, all you gotta do is pass the chocolate." " Through a kiss! " College life is already hard but Cale's friends had decided t...
106K 3.2K 33
(BxB) Getting saved by the school bad boy was nothing that I could imagine. "What's your name?" We have been classmates since forever. "Dude! We lit...