An August Wedding

By SkyPhoenix13125

Your parents wanted a son to take over the family business. His parents wanted their son to gain some busines... More

Author's Note
Ch. 1 - The Ceremony
Ch. 2 - The Honeymoon
Ch. 3 - Family Discussions
Ch. 4 - Good Friends
Ch. 5 - Wedding Gift
Ch. 6 - The New Hires
Ch. 7 - Clashing Heads
Ch. 8 - Hard Work
Ch. 9 - Lunch Dates
Ch. 10 - New Ideas
Ch. 11 - Suspicions
Ch. 12 - First Fight
Ch. 13 - Plans
Ch. 14 - Shareholder's Meeting
Ch. 15 - Family Approval
Ch. 17 - Inspiration
Ch. 18 - Assistance
Ch. 19 - Musical Stylings
Ch. 20 - A Modest Proposal
Ch. 21 - Side Steps
Ch. 22 - Double Date
Ch. 23 - Charity Ball
Ch. 24 - Divides
Ch. 25 - Date Night
Ch. 26 - Visits
Ch. 27 - Making It Work
Ch. 28 - Moving Forward
Ch. 29 - Wake Up Call
Ch. 30 - Family Favors
Ch. 31 - Assessing
Ch. 32 - Reporting
Ch. 33 - Visitors
Ch. 34 - Bonds
Ch. 35 - Next Steps
Ch. 36 - Deals
Ch. 37 - Celebrations
Ch. 38 - Exploring
Ch. 39 - Launch Party
Ch. 40 - Guys' Night
Ch. 41 - Girls' Night
Ch. 42 - Opportunities
Ch. 43 - Turning Point
Ch. 44 - Decisions
Ch. 45 - Showcase
Ch. 46 - Changes
Ch. 47 - Back to Work
Ch. 48 - Another Wedding
Ch. 49 - Different Directions
Ch. 50 - Favors and Secrets
Ch. 51 - Rides
Ch. 52 - Guidance
Ch. 53 - Confessions
Ch. 54 - News
Ch. 55 - Bad Timing
Ch. 56 - Flipping the Script
Ch. 57 - King or Boss
Ch. 58 - Deciding Factors
Ch. 59 - Crunch Time
Ch. 60 - Negotiations
Ch. 61 - Offers
Ch. 62 - Prep Work
Ch. 63 - Potential
Ch. 64 - Results
Ch. 65 - Free
Ch. 66 - Epilogue
Extras

Ch. 16 - Dinner Party

169 8 0
By SkyPhoenix13125

Hoseok arrived at your home an hour early with Jungkook. He knocked on the door and only had to wait about five seconds for you to open the door.

"Hobi! How nice to see you."

"They're already here, aren't they?" he asked.

You nodded quickly. "Been here almost two hours. Ordering the catering staff around. Commenting on the mess of the house. Nitpicking everything I do..."

"Relax, Jungkook and I are trained in this."

At that exact moment, Jungkook came up from the driveway. He took one look at you and sighed before handing you a wrapped bottle. 

"Here, tell the caterer to pour Mrs. Min a nice big glass of it while I schmooze the old man."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Why do you think we're here so early?"

And with that, he had disappeared into the lion's den to find Mr. Min. 

Hoseok followed you into the kitchen, setting a bouquet of flowers he'd brought on the counter for you.

"Wait. Those are a perfect table setting!"

"They are?"

You grabbed a vase from your cabinet and set the flowers inside before making your way into the dining room.

Hoseok stayed out in the living room where everyone else was gathered. He could see how you were overwhelmed already. Yoongi was standing with your parents, a polite smile plastered on his face as he spoke with them. It was obvious that he was quickly reaching the end of his patience.

Mr. Min was now laughing uproariously at something Jungkook had said, clapping him on the back in delight.

"Mr. and Mrs. (L/N)! So good to see you," Hoseok exclaimed, making his way over to shake your father's hand and give your mother a brief hug. 

Meanwhile, you were dealing with the other issue here.

"Mrs. Min, I'm sorry to interrupt. Jungkook brought some wine for us, and I'd like it to be chilled before dinner," you said sweetly. 

She huffed. "Fine. You heard the girl, go chill the wine." She turned to you. "And what's that you're holding?"

"A table setting. They're lovely, don't you think?"

"They're a bit plain but I suppose they'll do. I don't suppose you'll handle the arrangement?"

"Of course. Mr...Choi, was it, still has to prep his assistants. Assuming we've settled everything?"

"Yes, yes. We'll see if he can remember what I've explained. And bring me a glass of wine when you're finished!"

The caterer shot you a grateful look before scurrying back into the kitchen to find the wine. The rest of the staff were currently hanging out in their van in the backyard, not allowed into the "event" until all details were arranged with Mrs. Min. 

You'd just given him the out he needed to get everything set up and get away from her in one go.

The second he was gone, Mrs. Min disappeared back into the living room. About ten seconds later, Yoongi came up next to you.

"How's it going?"

"Well, Jungkook brought wine and my parents love Hoseok," you explained. "So that's good for us."

He sighed in relief. "They got here just in time. Your parents spent the last twenty minutes quizzing me about the company. I was ready to pull my hair out."

"Your mother spent ten minutes explaining that we need to hire a maid because I can't clean anything properly."

"Nothing's ever good enough for her, it's fine. You're doing great, and now that your parents are being entertained, I'm going to warm up."

That's right. You'd forgotten.

Yoongi had told you a few nights ago that his parents wanted him to play at the party. You weren't sure why that was necessary, but he'd simply shrugged and said just to go with it. It was something they always requested at these sorts of things.

So, approximately fifteen minutes later, Yoongi deemed himself ready to play. He gathered the group's attention and announced that he wanted to play a few small numbers in honor of the occasion.

"Some people reserve entertainment for the end of the evening," Yoongi announced as he dramatically turned toward the piano. "In our family, we like to start on a high note."

He simultaneously hit the farthest right key, emitting a high note in response.

You and Jungkook rolled your eyes. Both sets of your parents adored it, and Hoseok tried to hide his own chuckles at the pun.

You and your parents were thoroughly impressed with his repertoire. His own parents, and obviously Jungkook must have heard it a thousand times before. Even Hoseok seemed a bit lackluster in his reactions, although you all listened politely.

While your parents were impressed by his skill, you were more interested in the style of music he was playing. 

Classical pieces.

If someone had told you that this was what Yoongi knew how to play, you would have thought they were crazy. It didn't seem like his kind of music. 

He certainly played beautifully, but there didn't seem to be any attachment to the pieces aside from concentration. Something about that made you frown, but none of the others in the room seemed to feel the same way.

He cycled through a few pieces, but your favorite was this sad, almost haunting melody. That was also coincidentally the last piece that he had to play for the night.

When he was done, he stood and took a mock bow. Everyone clapped.

And at that moment, the caterer cleared his throat from the entrance to the kitchen.

"Excuse me. If everyone would please take their seats, dinner will be served shortly."

The eight of you made quick work going into the dining room. Yoongi sat at the head of the table, flanked by his parents on either side. You sat on the opposite end, with the same placement of your parents. Jungkook sat between your fathers and Hoseok was placed between your mothers.

You weren't sure you liked this arrangement. But then again, you weren't the one who made it.

"Yoongi, you play so well. How long have you been studying piano?" your mother asked.

He smiled as he set his napkin on his lap. "I studied for about five years when I was younger."

"Yes, but then he wanted to change his focus to basketball, so we let him," his father added. "Provided that he keep his grades up and keep playing on special occasions such as this."

"Well, it's lovely to see someone with musical talents. You don't see that nowadays."

You saw Yoongi shift awkwardly.

"It's nice to experiment," his mother chimed in, "but we always knew his true interests lied elsewhere. In business, just like the rest of his family."

Your father nodded. "Oh, right. You said the shareholder's meeting went well. Nice to know this boy's got a good head on his shoulders, I knew he would succeed." You smiled thinly. "Speaking of which, Jungkook, what did you say you do again?"

Jungkook explained his line of work in great detail while the main caterer and his staff served the first course. The food quieted everyone down for a few minutes, bringing up small conversations here and there.

Mrs. Min asked your mother about her jewelry.

Hoseok told your parents that his classes were going well.

Yoongi tried to goad his father into arm-wrestling with Jungkook.

As another course was served, your mother brought up her own topic of conversation.

"The only thing that would make this better would be if it were outside. You two should tidy up your backyard so you can have parties out there."

You shook your head. "I'm not sure--"

"What a wonderful idea," Yoongi's mother interrupted. "We have plenty of parties at our own house in the backyard. You could have a large gazebo or a deck added on, it would be beautiful in the summer."

Yoongi sighed. "Mom, we just got married. We don't exactly have the money right now."

"Invest," both your fathers said at the same time. Jungkook tried not to choke on his food.

"You have plenty in your savings," his father pointed out.

"And the company's not paying you peanuts. If it is, talk to me and I'll straighten that out for you."

"Exactly! And then in a couple of years, you'll have a lovely addition to your home."

You cleared your throat.

"We just got married," you repeated. "It's not responsible to make big financial decisions this soon, especially something like adding on to the house that we just moved into. Besides, we don't have a need for something like that. We're not exactly going to be hosting parties for charity events every other month."

Your mother wanted a hole to come and swallow her up while your father had frozen mid-chew. Mrs. Min was staring at you over her wine glass. Mr. Min had narrowed his eyes at you.

Jungkook sat almost stone still obviously taken aback as well. Hoseok was staring at one of the paintings on the wall, trying to fight off a fit of giggles. Yoongi was hiding his smile behind his hand.

"It was just a suggestion," your mother muttered after a few moments of silence. 

"We don't need that much space. If we decide we do, I'm sure we'll use it for something."

"Such as?" Mr. Min asked.

You took another bite of your food. "Well, we can always get a dog."

Jungkook and Hoseok nearly lost it when all the parents around them sighed simultaneously and quickly changed the topic. Yoongi caught your eye across the table and let you see one of his rare gummy smiles. He must have liked that suggestion.

The rest of the dinner party went smoothly. Mr. and Mrs. Min were now cautious of you and your snappy attitude to "helpful suggestions" while your parents were too mortified to even try and berate you for speaking out like that.

Actually, your father had whispered to you that he wanted to talk to you in between courses. You had responded back that you were enjoying a lovely meal that the Mins had paid for, so you were not leaving the table until all the food was gone.

He settled back in his seat and stewed for the rest of the night. But you survived through three more courses before they ever so casually decided to head out.

You paid the caterers and thanked them tremendously for their help. Yoongi added on a big tip, apologizing for his mother's attitude. They were quick to ask to be invited back for anything else you needed (provided she was not the host again).

Jungkook and Hoseok were the last to leave, giving you a pat on the back for speaking your mind like that and making dinner that much more entertaining. 

"Invite me to all the family dinners if they'll be like that," Jungkook had said. 

The moment they were gone, you locked the door and sighed heavily.

Yoongi nudged you. "I still have whiskey left. Want some?"

"Yes." You didn't think you'd ever been so grateful for alcohol.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 371 24
A story in which a man named Jeon Jungkook works hard and wants to replace his father and be the Ceo of their company. It's his first priority and mo...
478K 17.2K 41
"Look, you have to marry me. It won't be that bad. You're someone I used to know and you're honestly not that half bad looking" he looked you up and...
335K 9.8K 15
He walked to me and I was stepping backwards until my back hit the wall. "Don't go out with any other guy ever again." β€πŸ’‹β€πŸ’‹ After I turned 20, my...
18.5K 1.4K 18
"Being in an arranged marriage with your childhood friend isn't that bad." That's what Jeon Jungkook, the young CEO thought. His marriage was steady...