One Door Away

By dreztrak

Peter, who's currently in his second year in College, encounters countless dilemmas along with his journey of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 8

62 10 2
By dreztrak

'Hmm?' I acted as if I was listening seriously.

'There was something on your eyelash that time, but then it flew away,' he  mimicked the actions as he spoke. 'And you left me without ever having the chance to explain, I didn't think that it would create this atmosphere. That's why I was so confused earlier.'

Just realizing that things have been due to my imagination, I inwardly face palmed. You know, I have been overthinking it as it all began when he did something I knew he was going to do but, I got flustered unknowingly.

'Fine,' I gave up the matter. 'I'm sorry for acting that way.'

Owen revealed a wide smile, making my eyes lock on those luscious lips that drew me. Beating up my thoughts, I stood up and tried to gather all the trays and plates that were used to be returned. I said to Owen as I lifted the trays, 'I'll be back.'

'What's happening with me,' I said trying to correct myself as I walked towards the counter.

The lady on the counter noticed my troubled face as I give her the trays.

'You seem disturbed, want to talk about it?'

'It's nothing.' Subconsciously, I released a sigh.

'It doesn't look to me that way,' she said. 'Is it about a friend?'

'How'd you know?' From my laid-back self, my body straightened up and stole a glance back to Owen.

'It seems I was right.'

'He just suddenly acted out of place, y'know.' Seeing she wasn't going to stop probing anytime soon, I started talking to her about it. 'I can't understand his actions – his stares.'

'Honey, I might not know all the details, but shouldn't you already have the answer to it?' She put her arms on the glass covering the food as she leaned on them.

'Pardon?'

'Never mind then,' she said. 'It will fall apart rightly, don't think about it for now.'

'Okay?' I left her with confusion evident on my face and went back.

'Guys, I gotta go something happened –' Jenna spoke in a rushed manner. She appears to be distraught, something bad must've ensued when she got that call. Owen looked at me with a face asking what-do-you-think-happened-I-don't-know-what's-happening. Jenna resumed what she was saying, 'It's a family problem, I really have to go.'

'Take care!' Owen and I loudly said as she waves her hand while she ran.

'I wonder what happened.' Owen seemed to be lost in his thoughts, the same as I was. Jenna driving back to her family indicates that it's serious even though she tried to hide it. In return, I replied to Owen, 'I hope she's okay.'

*

'Hey.' I gazed to Owen who was beside me as we were walking back to the dorm. 'Do you remember the guy who's drink I paid for?

'Yeah,' he said, tilting his head to me. 'What about it?'

'We're going out tomorrow. Well, I texted him first for the payment, but he wanted to hang out.' Owen's walking became slower after I finished talking and oddly enough, his face appeared serious. There he goes again, that same vibe I kept feeling from him.

'What do you mean?'

'Huh?' I said in confusion. 'Didn't I just explain it to you?'

'What I mean is why are you hanging out with him.' He raised his right eyebrow. 'You barely know him.'

'That's why we're hanging out,' I said. 'To get to know him. Plus, he's the one who said we should hang out. I don't know the reason why, but I think it's about friends outside of his current circle.'

'Look,' he said as he placed his hand on my shoulder. 'It's so sketchy.'

'You're the sketchy one,' I muttered.

'What again?' Owen pulled my shoulder and I met his eyes.

'I said, "You're the sketchy one," got it?' As anger build up inside of me, I increased my pace which then created distance between us.

'Why am I the sketchy one? For all I know, he might be a serial killer on the run.'

'Seriously?' I said crossing my arms. I was so fed up with his skepticism – I mean, how could he be a killer when he has a scholarship with him and he's well-known. Owen is being such a bullshiter. I continued, 'How could you say that? What's wrong with you?'

'Nothing's wrong with me. Again, why am I the sketchy one?' Owen demanded an answer, remaining stubborn.

'You really wanna know?' My lips twitched at his unrelenting nature.

The words in my head which have been stuck on my mind ever since he acted a little bit weird became clearer to me. With the wind brushing up against our hairs, I formed a fist trying to not explode. I took a deep breath and started gathering all the energy for bursting out but I decided to keep calm.

'Owen,' I cleared up my voice. 'Just drop the matter, okay?

'Peter.' A concerned face arose on Owen as I continued. 'Why are you defending him so much?'

'No,' I said, seething the anger in me. 'It's not that I'm defending him. You should hear yourself. You're never this skeptic, and now you're suddenly suspicious about Henry.'

'I'm sorry,' he said frowning.

My nerves started calming down after all the pent-up thoughts inside my head were released. I started regretting bursting out even though my voice was barely loud. I looked at him and said, 'So, why?'

'What why?'

'Why are you being skeptic of him?'

'I don't know if I could give you a valid explanation.' He scratched his head and explained, 'I just saw him and his friends laughing at somebody. I think he's not good for you or even us as friends.'

'Oh?'

'Anyway, are we good?' Owen asked.

'Maybe,' I said nonchalantly.

'Fine,' he shrugged. 'What's up with you these days?

'Nothing much really,' I scratched my head in response. 'Maybe stress or I don't even know actually. What about you?'

'My mom set me up on blind dates, saying that I should have some action in the love scene.' Owen sighed.

'Oh,' I laughed at his situation. 

Owen's mom have been pushing him to date somebody and it's odd that he still hasn't dated anyone for years now. Or maybe we just don't know.

'Anyway, I'm really sorry Peter. I didn't know that you guys were becoming uncomfortable with it. I thought you were fine with it since Jenna was, but my thoughts were wrong.'

'I gotta ask, why have you acted quite weird these past few days?'

'Maybe it's from the pressure or what, but I just felt so lonely,' he said. 'Not that I don't mind it. Sorry again.'

'Hey. I can never be too mad at you or Jenna.' The tensed atmosphere between us were gone. The sight of the dormitory was present as we got nearer to the street where it belonged. Walking up to the entrance, I looked back to Owen who said something inaudible. 'Pardon?'

'I said have fun with your date tomorrow.' He smiled at me however, his eyes tell me otherwise.

'Yeah,' I said not noticing the exact words he used.

I went back to my room and laid on my bed for a couple of minutes before deciding to jog outside to ease my mind. The view outside the balcony remains spectacular with the campus lights illuminating the whole place, making it feel as if you're living in the city. I forcefully pulled my body up and went to the closet to get my joggers.

With all the emotions that surged in my head, I wore my shoes and went outside to think about them. I looked at my wristwatch to check the time since I left my phone when I went to the lobby.

Outside, I saw a couple of people going for a walk. The cold wind picked up speed as I jogged along the walkways of the campus. I turned to the nearest convenience store to grab a bottle of water.

'Is that all?' The man on the counter said lazily.

'Yes,' I replied. 'Thank you.'

'Come again.'

The leaves rustled as the wind became stronger. I looked up to the sky not seeing any stars. Strange. I checked the weather forecast earlier and it did not say anything about being windy, at most it would be cloudy.

Raindrops started falling slowly when I got to the park. I sought shelter to the nearest tree with my shirt on my head as a protective layer. There was a couple on the other side, playing in the rain as if it's nothing. They ran and kicked puddles that were formed until they disappeared within my sight.

The downpour of the rain became heavier and I was soon all by myself. Without caring whether I would get sick or not, I stepped outside and ran. The rain pierced through my clothes easily and now, every part of me is wet – even my shoes are soaking.

'This is fun,' I laughed all the way without caring for the world.

There was an increase in pressure while I was running.

Boom.

A sharp, loud crack echoed which made me cover my ears and sit down quickly. The heavy booming stayed, and I found myself crying – afraid of such sounds.

-

'Peter?' I heard a voice inside my head saying. Waking up, I said, 'Where's my mom?'

'Your mom is in heaven already, child.' The officer next to me patted my pack as I cried.

'No, that can't be,' I mumbled. 'My mom cannot leave me. She said we were going to grow old and go to other places where we can have fun. Mom wouldn't leave me – never.'

I stood up and ran to the stretcher which I assumed a body was placed on it. I wiped my tears as I got nearer to the ambulance with worry all over my face. Feeling desperate, I shouted, 'Where is my mom?!' Please let me see her. I know she's still there.'

The nurse looked at me with sadness in her eyes and removed the cover in the stretcher which I approached afterwards. I looked at her face, sensing the agony even though she remains lifeless. I tried to wake her up as I grab her shoulders.

'Mom, wake up,' I cried. I heard two distinct voices arguing over some matter but placed my focus on my mother. 'Wake up, please. Don't go.'

'What are you doing? Why did you –,' the office was cut off by the nurse.

'Why? Why would I not let a child see his mother for the last time?' The nurse said.

-

'Mom?' I looked up at the sky as raindrops splattered on my face. 'Where are you?'

I couldn't hear anything – I was scared. It felt like I was losing my breath. I was suffocating. I held my neck, trying to gasp for air. My body started giving up and I became dizzy as I supported my body on the ground with my left arm.

'Hey, are you okay?!' I heard a voice from afar but before I look to see who it was, I fainted on the ground.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 8.6K 35
Jesse's entire life is a charade. Everything he does, he does to hide the truth. His girlfriend? Fake. His hair colour? Fake. His love for soccer? Fa...
77.7K 6K 54
Robin doesn't want to be a tutor. Tyler doesn't want to be tutored. So why are their tutoring sessions always running late? *** After an illness-stri...
272K 11.5K 49
" But the dare is so easy, all you gotta do is pass the chocolate." " Through a kiss! " College life is already hard but Cale's friends had decided t...
61.4K 4.4K 44
Going into his second year of college, Tee is flying high. His studies are getting harder, but he can handle it. He has managed to get almost every...