How To Save A Life [A Robert...

De SarahLovesRDJ

There's this moment in your life when the last breath of air escapes your lungs. You try to hold on to it, no... Mai multe

Prologue & Trailer
Chapter 1: Nightmares
Chapter 2: Routine
Chapter 3: Flashbacks
Chapter 4: Ghost
Chapter 5: Human
Chapter 6: Memories
Chapter 7: Demons
Chapter 8: Collision
Chapter 9: Uncharted Waters
Chapter 10: Paris
Chapter 11: Dark Times
Chapter 12: The Quest
Chapter 13 : Lost Stars
Chapter 14: Sunrise
Chapter 15: Shadow On The Sun
Chapter 16: Grace
Chapter 17: Breathe
Chapter 18: Knocking On Heaven's Door
Chapter 19: Storm And Silence
Chapter 20: Gravity
Chapter 21: Scars
Chapter 22: The Book Of Love
Chapter 23: Omen
Chapter 24: Salvation
Chapter 25: Back To Black
Chapter 26: What If...
Chapter 27: Encounter
Chapter 29: Illusion
Chapter 30: Meet Me Halfway
Twenty Facts About Me
Chapter 31: The End
Chapter 32: Starting Over
Chapter 33: Unarmed
Chapter 34: A Long Road Up To Recovery
Trailer
Chapter 35: Truth Be Told
Chapter 36: Changes
Chapter 37: Last Words
Chapter 38: Imagination
Chapter 39: Up And Down
Important A/N - Final Trailer
Chapter 40: Live And Let Die
Chapter 41: Lost Piece Of A Puzzle
Chapter 42: How To Save A Life
Sequel
Sequel - Summary
Sequel (Part 2)

Chapter 28: Brave Idyllic World

759 43 10
De SarahLovesRDJ

When Robert hung up his coat at Liz's practice, the last snowflakes melted, leaving a puddle on the ground.

"Dr. Shaw is already waiting for you", the blonde receptionist said with a smile on her lips.

Robert nodded quickly before he walked along the white corridor and opened the door on the right where Liz was already sitting, waiting for him. She was wearing a black costume with a white blouse, her hair in a ponytail.

As soon as he entered the room, she got up to shake his hand with the same welcoming smile as always. But there was something else about her. She seemed to be more relaxed than usually, happier than usually.

"Hello Robert", she greeted politely as both sat down.

"Hey", he greeted back, faking a smile.

"I'm sorry but today we only have a quick appointment", Liz apologized and examined him closely, "As you already know, my practice will be closed during the festive period..."

"Yeah", Robert agreed, "I remember."

Liz nodded slightly and I caught a glimpse of her looking at me for a while.

This time of the year surely wasn't easy for neither Robert nor me. The first Christmas we couldn't be together...

"Okay", she concluded eventually and searched for something under the table.

"This is my number, my private number", she explained calmly, handing him her card, "In case of emergency, please do not hesitate to call me. No matter what comes to your mind, call me. I'll be there when you need me, Robert."

Hesitantly, he reached out for her card, not sure whether to accept it or not.

"You're important to me, Robert. I care about you", she added then, obviously trying to convince him, "Don't take any chances..."

"Okay", he finally agreed, "Thank you."

Her smile widened immediately.

"You don't have to thank me, Robert", she countered. And for the first time since I've known her, I thought she at least blushed a little as the gorgeous smile that made his eyes crinkle appeared on Robert's lips.

"Merry Christmas", he said, still smiling at her, as he got up, "And Happy New Year!"

She smiled back at him, reaching out for his hand to say goodbye.

"Merry Christmas, Robert", she replied and waved goodbye as he exited her room, walking down the hallway.

"Merry Christmas, Liz", I whispered as I walked by, trying to reach Robert.

She half smiled at me before she closed the door behind.

Robert already walked along the pathway as I quickened my path to reach him again. A grey scarf around his neck, he rubbed his hands to stay warm.

Silently, we walked through the crowded streets where thousands of people tried to find presents for their loved ones. I've always been surprised by the amount of people who actually bought their presents on Christmas Eve itself. Like it would have been a surprise...

Suddenly, we stopped in front of a quiet familiar cafe.

Robert took a deep breath before he entered, hanging up his coat and the scarf at the entrance before he sat down at one of the tables in the corner.

"Good afternoon", one of the waitresses greeted politely, "How can I help you?"

For a second, he stared out of the window, regarding the cars that were passing by through the snow.

He chuckled quietly before he turned to the young woman again.

"I'd like to have a coffee and a bagel", he ordered, faking a smile, "A cup of tea- uhm, Earl Grey- and a donut."

The waitress wrote down his order, nodded slightly and left.

Immediately, Robert looked out of the window again, taken away by his thoughts.

"Robert?", I asked and searched for a Christmas ball, "Can you help me?"

Just a few seconds later, I recognized him standing in the doorway, a roguish smile on his lips as he nonchalantly leaned against the doorframe.

"You know", he said, slowly walking towards me, "You don't have to do that, darling. I could easily call someone to take this part..."

"As long as I can remember", I countered , suspiciously raising my eyebrow, "I've always decorated the Christmas tree..."

He quickly pressed his lips on mine to interrupt me, pulling my head closer towards his as our kiss became more passionate.

"That won't keep me from going on", I whispered as we paused in the desperate need for some oxygen.

"You're stubborn, Kate", he mumbled and our eyes met, gently tucking a strand behind my ear while his hand rested on my cheek, "You're the most stubborn person I've ever met."

I chuckled and slowly moved away from him.

"I'll take that as a yes", I added and searched for another Christmas ball, "And now, could you please help me? I'm not tall enough..."

Immediately, he started to laugh.

"Please, Robbie", I pouted and carefully grabbed his tie, pulling him closer towards me before I kissed him again, "Please."

He softly ran his fingers through my hair.

"I just can't resist you", he teasingly whispered into my ear before he quickly lifted me up.

"Robert?"

Both of us raised our heads to look right into those piercing blue eyes.

"Tom", Robert said in surprise but at the same time with relief, "Please, take a seat."

He nodded and sat down across from Robert.

"I'm sorry", he apologized then, "I know I've been a colossal ass-..."

Tom quickly raised his hand to stop Robert.

"Bob, that's okay", he added as the waitress came back with their order, placing it on the table in front of them, "Thank you, my dear."

The woman blushed immediately, like almost every woman Tom talked to.

He took a sip of his tea, smiling at Robert.

"Earl Grey", he mumbled quietly.

"I didn't forget that", Robert explained and laughed, "I know you're mad at me, Tom. And there are not enough words to describe how sorry I am..."

"I am not mad at you, Robert", he countered and took another sip, "I know you're going through some harsh times. And if it makes you feel better to shout at me, then just go ahead."

Now, both of them started to laugh.

"No, seriously", Robert said after a while, "I'm thankful to have you as a friend."

Tom half smiled at him.

"Well, as long as you don't have any other plans", he offered then, "Why don't you come over tonight and spend Christmas at my place..."

"I'd really like to do that", Robert agreed. And for the first time since our accident, I caught a glimpse of an honest smile on his lips.

Both took another sip of their drinks and remained silent for a while.

"At the risk of ruining everything", Tom continued then and coughed slightly, "I should tell you something. Just as a fair warning..."

Robert shrugged.

"What are you talking about?"

"Lizzie- uhm, Liz-... I mean Dr. Shaw", Tom stuttered nervously and ran his fingers through his ginger brown curls, "She'll be there as well."

"Liz?", Robert repeated in surprise.

Tom nodded quickly.

"You and..."

He nodded again.

"Wow", Robert marveled and groaned, "That's a surprise..."

"I hope that's okay for you..."

For a while, both of them remained silent.

"You and Liz", he repeated once more, "Is it... You know, serious?"

Tom shrugged and blushed. Only thinking about her made him go all red.
But I knew that feeling. It was quiet familiar to me.

"Pretty, yeah", he agreed, smiling from one ear to another, "She could be the one, Bob..."

Slowly, Robert raised his head and their eyes met.

"If you're happy, I am happy as well", he added then and smiled at Tom, "Really, I mean every word I say."

"Thank you", Tom said smirkingly, "I'm glad you accept our relationship."

"I don't want to be a problem for you", Robert countered and both started to laugh again.

*Later that evening...*

Robert has been waiting in front of Tom's house for hours- at least it seemed so. He was nervous and quiet fixated on adjusting his tie.

I moved closer, softly caressing his arm.

"You can do that, Robbie", I whispered, my eyes filled with tears, "I believe in you..."

He took a deep breath and swallowed hard. Then, he finally rang the doorbell.

"It's just one evening", he mumbled quietly, running his fingers through his hair, "Just one evening..."

Immediately, the door opened and Tom excitedly received Robert.

"Hey", he greeted, "Come in, Bob."

He nodded slightly and fixed his tie one last time before he entered the house.

He walked along the hallway until he reached the huge living room with a Christmas tree inside.

"See", I whispered smirkingly and grabbed his hand, "They also have a Christmas tree..."

"Hello Robert", the familiar and welcoming voice greeted.

Both of us turned around to see Liz standing in the doorframe, wearing a red shift dress, her black curls laying all over her shoulder.

"Liz", Robert said quietly and half smiled at her, "Merry Christmas, again."

Both of them started to laugh as they walked through the room, sitting down at the table.

"So, you and Tom?", Robert asked curiously.

She nodded slightly and blushed immediately.

"Yeah, I've met him at the hospital...", she explained, smiling from one ear to another, "We've exchanged numbers and started dating... I just... Well, I wasn't sure because of you..."

"Oh, don't worry about me", Robert countered seriously, "Tom's a good guy. I've been waiting for this day for a long time..."

He chuckled as he recognized Tom had entered the room again.

"Uhm, Liz", he asked with a big smile on his face, "Would you mind helping me in the kitchen?"

"Sure", she agreed and they left Robert behind.

Curiously, he looked around until his eyes found the piano standing in the corner of the room.

It's been a long time since he had played the piano. He had always played for me. Every morning, I used to hear him play after breakfast. It was some sort of ritual for us. He even wrote some songs for me. Songs, no one except me has ever heard. Because- as he used to say- they were meant to be heard by my ears only. And I loved them, every single one.
But since my death, he had never played again. He had some sort of blockade...

Suddenly, he got up and walked across the room until he reached the piano.

Curiously, I followed him as he sat down.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

"Try it", I encouraged him, leaning my head against his strong shoulder, "I still believe in you, Robbie."

I quickly kissed his cheek.

Then, he placed his fingers on the piano keys and started to play. First, hesitantly but after a few seconds he sounded like I've known him. Beautiful as always.

I closed my eyes, enjoying every second of this moment.

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. Just like the ones I used to know. Where the treetops glisten, and children listen to hear, sleigh bells in the snow...", he quietly started to sing, "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas with every Christmas card I write. May your days be merry and bright. And may all your Christmases be white..."

When I opened my eyes again, I recognized Tom and Liz standing in the doorway. His arm wrapped around her shoulder, holding her close to him as she gently laid her hand on his chest, both silently listening to Robert.

"I didn't know...", Liz mumbled quietly.

"He hasn't sung since Kate's death", Tom explained quickly and softly kissed her temple, "I actually didn't expect this..."

I looked up to Robert and kissed his cheek again, my eyes had already filled with tears.

"Merry Christmas, Kate", he whispered almost inaudibly with teary eyes.

"Merry Christmas, Robbie", I replied as our fingers intertwined, "Merry Christmas..."

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

1.1K 25 11
I am Blair and I have paraplegia. I've had it since I was 20 because of a car accident. My mother and father died in that mishap. I wished I died, to...
834K 31K 49
Love? No thanks. Cassidy Jordan won't open her heart to anyone after a devastating romance caused her death the first time she turned eighteen. As a...
3.3K 185 33
"I'm sorry, James. The tests were positive. You have cancer," the doctor said. In that moment, I felt my entire world crumble. Everything I knew, eve...
333 82 10
"I think I'm falling for you Aksh" she said staring into my eyes . My heartbeat increased in the next second when she said those words to me.. how s...