One {Mark Sloan}

By Alteate

"Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities... More

Prologue
The Push
Beginning
Mess
Syria
My Only Family
Staying Alive
Prom Queen
What I Am
Friends
M&M
Over
Ashes
Planting a Seed
Fighters
Death Wish
The Feeling Of Suffocation
The Chief of Surgery
Toxins
The Past
OPINIONS
Daphnie Miller
The right decision
The Man
Time After Time
Intern Exam
The Date
Hangout Spot
Drunk Mark
Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty
Nara
Meet the Fosters
Miss Grumpy
COVERS PART 2
A Change is Gonna Come
Happy Birthday
Big Boys
Downfall Of Arrogance
To Die Or Not To Die
Hurricane Amelia
Sane Advice
The Art Of Lookin'
Bridal Fights
Stronger
Pushy And Rude
Daddy Issues
Unlucky
Without You
Turning A New Page
Flattery
The Birthday Party
New Rules
Like Me Better
Begin Again
Everything Has Changed
Mark and Ren
Mama Shepherd
Still on My Brain
Happy Ending
Come Together
Slipping into Darkness
Stand By Me
The People That We Love
Let Us Move On
Should I Or Should I Not?
Hell Of A Life
This Wedding Day
An Authors Note
Agree To Disagree
Author's Note
Future Nostalgia
Cold As Ice
Gone Too Soon
Powerless
Wrong Call

Reyansh Deo

6.5K 200 23
By Alteate

He stared at her as they transferred Tyler Walles on another gurney and went to the OR, a small smile on his face as she appeared to be frustrated that he was here, in her hospital. He watched as she stood in front of him before taking his hand and started walking away from the ER muttering something under her breath. 

"Get in," She said as she pointed towards the supply closet.

"I like the way you think," He smirked.

"What are you doing here?" She asked ignoring his comment.

"I was performing CPR on Tyler Walles, did you not get that?"

"Your work is done here, you can leave now," She said as she tried to leave the room only for him to lightly grab her wrist.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Nothing, I just want to tell I had fun last night, not just the sex part but the talking too,"

"We talked last night?" She asked confused.

"I heard some very random facts about New York," 

"What else did I say?"

"Nothing, you didn't even tell me your name," 

"Dr Renee Foster," Renee said when he bent down to kiss her cheek which surprised her but that followed a smile small to appear on her face.

"Nice to meet you, Dr Renee Foster,"   

"Colin Marlow,"

"Renee Foster,"

The dreaded board meeting. Every candidate for the Chief was supposed to be going through interviews with the board, Colin Marlow had prepared a 10-year plan for the hospital and it was said that it involved a whole lot of tweaks to the hospital. Derek and Preston had also made folders and papers which included their ideas for the next 10 years for the hospital. Addison had prepared a whole speech for the board members while Renee had tried to focus on trying to avoiding the mistakes they had previously done in the past and trying to learn from their mistakes. Mark had very slyly gone around asking the staff what they thought could change the hospital and make it better. 

"So, I heard you are also a candidate for the Chief's position," Colin said as they walked together.

"Yeah," Renee simply said.

"What department do you run? Neuro? Plastics? Paeds? or Cardio?" Colin asked.

"You are aware that there are other departments, right?" Renee asked him while maintaining a forced smile on her face.

"Yeah, but those aren't important enough that their heads should be made Chief of Surgery. So what department do you run?"

"I am the head of Oncology," Renee's eyes narrowed as he smirked.

"You do surgeries, right?"

"Dr Marlow, are you trying to demean my department or the work I do?" 

"Oh, no, no. I am just curious,"

"I do surgeries, Dr Marlow. I am a certified General Surgeon. I have fellowships in Paediatrics and Surgical Oncology,"

"Don't take it personally," 

"Good day, Dr Marlow, I'll see you around,"

Sitting in the Cafeteria with Callie, Renee thought over the things Colin had said, the tone of his words and the way he said it made her think that he didn't think that her department was important enough or they did good work. Sure, the Oncology Department had fewer surgeries and involved dealing with a lot of Chemo and Radiation but these things matter so much in someone's life. 

"I hate Colin Marlow," Renee said to Callie as she stabbed her pasta.

"Why?"

"He thinks my department's a joke, he thinks just because I run the Oncology department that I don't know how to a surgery,"

"Ignore him," Callie said as she sipped on her juice.

"He thinks that I can't be Chief because I don't run-ugh," Renee groaned.

"You are good at what you do, Surgical Oncology isn't easy, unlike Cardio or Neuro you need to be informed with everything, you need to have General Surgery knowledge, you need in-depth knowledge about everything,"

"You are right, stupid ass grabbing prehistoric man,"

"Prehistoric? He's that old?" Callie asked.

"I hate Colin Marlow,"   

"Good evening, Renee Foster,"

She looked up to see Reyansh standing there, a grin on his face as he walked in toe with her. There was something about the way he smiled that made her smile as well, he carried the air of being confident and a touch of arrogance but not as much as Derek or Mark have. The way he talked reminded her so much of Issac, the way his voice had a soft and how he used to say something sarcastic or something witty. The thought caused her smile to flatter a little, it hadn't been long since Issac had died, probably six months, it had taken a long time for her to even look at another man, let alone have a one night stand in fact Reyansh was her first. There was guilt but she knew Issac needed her to move on and she knew she needed to move on.

"So you are going to ignore me?" He asked.

"Coffee?" She asked as they reached the Cafeteria. She had been in surgery for a few hours, Colin Marlow had been sitting in the gallery watching with a smirk on his face, the surgery had been a little complicated as mets had been stuck to the inner lining of the stomach.

"You are asking me on coffee?" He asked as he took both of their cups.

"I am not asking you out," She said as they sat on the table.

"Not right now but we'll go on a date," He said.

"You are cocky," She laughed.

"I have been told but it's not a bad thing, right?" 

"No,"

"So, dinner?" 

Mark was standing in the line for grabbing a snack when he saw Renee talking to a man, they were smiling and sometimes she would laugh at what he would say. Derek who had just finished his board meeting came in for a coffee saw Mark glaring at them, his grip on the tray was so tight that the knuckles became white, Derek laughed as he patted him on the back.

"Look at you, so jealous," Derek laughed.

"Shut up,"

"So you're not jealous?"

"Who is he?" Mark asked him but Derek just shrugged.

"He is Reyansh Deo, Trauma Surgeon," Richard said as he came behind them.

"He is good looking," Addison said as she joined him, Mark just groaned.

"He was in Massachusetts General Hospital and he was an attending there," Richard said clearly impressed.

"Please don't tell me you are thinking of hiring him,"

"He just joined the University of Washington Medical Center for a fellowship,"

"Paediatrics?" 

Renee was surprised, Reyansh had just told her that the Trauma attending was interested in doing a fellowship in Paediatrics. Usually, an attending doesn't change their speciality especially after spending so many years learning and all the hard work that went into it.

"Yeah, Paeds always fascinated me, my mentor told me that I had a gift for Trauma, so," He shrugged.

"I didn't know many male surgeons who would be interested in Paeds," 

"That's sexist," He commented.

"Maybe but it's true, they don't think Paeds hardcore, you know as Cardio or Neuro," 

"Paeds is hardcore,"

"Yeah, I did Paeds for a couple of years," 

"You didn't continue?"

"No,"

"Why?"

"I have a habit of  surprising everyone, everyone thought I would take Paeds but Oncology fascinated me, the science behind it, you know,"

"You know it's right when it's right, right?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 35.9K 98
❝I'm not going anywhere, because you're the one.❞ She was the fall he had always desired. He was the warmth she never knew she needed. They were love...
2.9K 49 35
Mark took a step forward, his expression intense. "Lexie, don't make me choose between you and her." Lexie recoiled slightly, as if the words themsel...
40K 1K 43
Imagine if Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd were childhood friends. Neighbours, best friends. They were basically family, even Dereks best friend Ma...
163K 4.4K 102
A tragic event happened in Derek's life, which caused him to lose his sight. Can Meredith help Derek through this hard time? I don't own or write th...