One {Mark Sloan}

By Alteate

"Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities... More

Prologue
The Push
Beginning
Mess
Syria
My Only Family
Staying Alive
Prom Queen
What I Am
Friends
M&M
Over
Ashes
Planting a Seed
Fighters
Death Wish
The Feeling Of Suffocation
The Chief of Surgery
Toxins
The Past
OPINIONS
Daphnie Miller
The Man
Reyansh Deo
Time After Time
Intern Exam
The Date
Hangout Spot
Drunk Mark
Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty
Nara
Meet the Fosters
Miss Grumpy
COVERS PART 2
A Change is Gonna Come
Happy Birthday
Big Boys
Downfall Of Arrogance
To Die Or Not To Die
Hurricane Amelia
Sane Advice
The Art Of Lookin'
Bridal Fights
Stronger
Pushy And Rude
Daddy Issues
Unlucky
Without You
Turning A New Page
Flattery
The Birthday Party
New Rules
Like Me Better
Begin Again
Everything Has Changed
Mark and Ren
Mama Shepherd
Still on My Brain
Happy Ending
Come Together
Slipping into Darkness
Stand By Me
The People That We Love
Let Us Move On
Should I Or Should I Not?
Hell Of A Life
This Wedding Day
An Authors Note
Agree To Disagree
Author's Note
Future Nostalgia
Cold As Ice
Gone Too Soon
Powerless
Wrong Call

The right decision

6.9K 194 9
By Alteate

Daphnie Miller needed surgery there was no denying that she needed surgery and she needed it fast. The Biopsy results weren't pretty, she had breast cancer which was spreading very quickly to her underarms but Daphnie was refusing surgery or in fact any kind of therapy. 

"Mam, you need to have surgery," Richard said calmly, Renee was standing beside him quietly, Daphnie didn't know that the kid she had tortured was going to be her surgeon, she was going to be responsible for her life.

"I am not having surgery, you can't force me to have one,"

"You have charges on you, you have charges for beating up kids, you have serious charges on your head, Mam," Richard said.

"Yeah, I got that from the handcuffs but the kids were little brats, all of them," 

"So, you raise your hand on them?" Renee asked anger evident in her tone.

"Yeah, somebody needs to put them on the line," She said proudly, Richard exhaled to calm himself, he could see the oncologist trying to keep herself calm.

"I am sorry, I had to do emergency surgery on Jane Doe," Mark said as he entered the room.

"If all the doctors look like him, I'll have surgery every day of my life," Daphnie said as she looked at Mark.

"Mrs Miller, your husband is on his way, the police caught him before he could escape," 

"Under what charges?" She asked.

"Listen here-"

"Dr Foster," Richard warned.

"Foster?" 

"Yeah,"

"We had a kid whose surname was Foster, she would have been your age now, that bitch trashed our bedroom, called the CPS on us, she was an ungrateful little bitch,"

"Mrs Miller, how about we focus on your surgery," Mark said before Renee could say anything.

"Will you do my surgery?" She asked sweetly, obviously flirting with him.

"Yes,"

"I am ready,"

George O'Malley was standing in front of a now anaesthetised Mrs Miller, they were prepping her for her operation, the needle biopsy showed that Mrs Miller had breast cancer which had spread to her underarms and a small part of her lungs. He watched as they tied her hand to the table, Richard was talking to the police in the scrub room, as soon as Mrs Miller was out of post-op they were going to take her and her husband into custody and eventually into prison under the CAPTA. 

"You are a bad bad woman," George whispered to the sedated woman, he could see the nurses looking at him.

"O'Malley?" Richard asked as he entered.

"How could people do that? Dr Webber? Abuse the kids, torture them and when the kids act out they are sent to Juvie, I had a friend I who was in juvie, he said it was hell. And on top of everything, it stays on your file for life,"

"People do all sorts of things to make themselves feel powerful,"

"Powerful?"

"Yeah, the feeling of having power over something or someone is dangerous, O'Malley, it can be," Richard said as he sighed.

Outside the OR room, Mark was preparing to be scrubbed in, he was washing his hands when the door opened to reveal Renee wearing her surgical scrubs, her hair tied up as she placed her hand on her chest and took deep breaths.

"You are late," Mark said as she joined him and tied her surgical scrubs and mask.

"So are you," She shot back as she tried tying her scrub cap.

"I had to make faces for Jane Doe, what's your excuse?"

"I went to Issac's tree,"

"Why?"

"It helps me to mentally prepare myself,"

"Mentally prepare?" he asked.

"Yeah, I need to mentally prepare myself to not shout on you when you screw up," Mark laughed sarcastically.

"I am not going to screw up, I am good, I am the best,"

"You are the best on the West coast," 

"How do I know that you are not going to screw up?" Mark narrowed his eyes at her.

"Because I am the best in America," 

Daphnie Miller's surgery went well, they had to perform Mastectomy which meant that they had to remove her entire breast and parts of her underarm along with a part of her lung, Mark had done an amazing job on reconstructing her breast. She may need to have some rounds of Chemo and perhaps radiation but for the time being she was almost cancer-free.

"We are done, O'Malley, I need the post-op updates every few hours," Renee said as everybody scrubbed out.

"Yes, Doctor,"

"And O'Malley?"

"Yeah?" George stared at her.

"Get her out as soon as possible,"

"Yes, Dr Foster,"

Renee was sitting on the couch in the attending's lounge, a coffee cup in her hand, a letter in front of her, her glasses on her head and a phone in her other hand, she was deep in thought when Derek opened the door, it had been a couple of days since they had talked to each other, both busy in their own lives.

"I heard Ellis Grey died on your watch," Renee said as he came to sit beside her. 

"Yeah,"

"How's Meredith taking it?" She asked as she sipped her coffee.

"She's taking it surprisingly well, incredibly well," Derek said taking the coffee from her hand and drinking it.

"Hey, get your own coffee," 

"What were you doing here alone?" 

"Making a decision,"

"So, what decision did you make?" 

"The right one,"

Derek looked over at her, she looked confident in her answer while he didn't have any idea what her decision was going to be he knew it was a right decision and he knew he needed to support her.

"Okay,"

She was sitting in the same spot for quite some time now, Derek had left after some time leaving her in complete silence. She was going on about her decision in her head over and over again making sure she was doing the right thing. Bringing the glasses down to her eyes, she picked up the letter and dialled the number before taking a long breath.

"Hello, San Diego police,"

Mark was waiting for the elevator when Derek joined him, the neurosurgeon nodded at him when the elevator opened to reveal Addison and Renee standing at the two opposite corners, he smirked as he entered standing in front of them before Derek joined them. The awkwardness loomed in the air as everybody avoided making eye contact with anyone, once or twice someone cleared their throat, the ride became painfully slow.

"How about drinks tonight, I'll pay?" Mark suggested.

"I'd rather choke," Addison said.

"On what?" Mark smirked as Renee closed her eyes silently groaning.

"Shut up," Addison said as she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Renee, what about you?" Mark asked her.

"I'd rather die than have drinks with you," She said dryly.

"So no then?" Derek asked as he looked at her.

"Hell no, I never give up on free drinks beside I never miss the chance to make Mark a little less rich,"

"Your $100 won't make any dent on my bank account," 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

iLove By rei

Fanfiction

40K 1.4K 60
Meredith Grey, a surgical resident at Seattle Grace, abhors Derek Shepherd, her attending. In her and her fellow interns' eyes, he was a pompous jack...
163K 4.4K 102
A tragic event happened in Derek's life, which caused him to lose his sight. Can Meredith help Derek through this hard time? I don't own or write th...
962K 21.4K 148
Born in Philly, raised in New York, and now packing up her Bostonian life for the Emerald City. Freshly graduated from her fellowship at Harvard Medi...
40K 1K 43
Imagine if Meredith Grey and Derek Shepherd were childhood friends. Neighbours, best friends. They were basically family, even Dereks best friend Ma...