Why not ?

By CissyItsMe

Why not ? Two simple words that got out of Cora McKall's mouth and caused a dramatic change in her life. T... More

Why Not ?
•Chapter 1
•Chapter 2
•Chapter 3
•Chapter 4
•Chapter 5
•Chapter 6
•Chapter 7
•Chapter 8
•Chapter 9
•Chapter 10
•Chapter 11
•Chapter 12
•Chapter 13
•Chapter 14
•Chapter 15
•Chapter 17
•Chapter 18
•Chapter 19
•Chapter 20
•Chapter 21
•Chapter 22
•Chapter 23
•Chapter 24
•Chapter 25
•Chapter 26
•Chapter 27
•Chapter 28
•Chapter 29
•Chapter 30
•Chapter 31 #Part.1
•Chapter 31 #Part.2
•Chapter 31 #Part.3
•Chapter 32
•Chapter 33
•Chapter 34
•Chapter 35
•Chapter 36 #Part.1
•Chapter 36 #Part.2
•Chapter 36 #Part.3
•Chapter 37
•Chapter 38
•Chapter 39
•Chapter 40
•Chapter 41 #Part.1
•Chapter 41 #Part.2
•Chapter 42
•Chapter 43
•Chapter 44
•Chapter 45
•Chapter 46
•Chapter 47
•Chapter 48
•Chapter 49
•Chapter 50
•Chapter 51
•Chapter 52
•Chapter 53
•Chapter 54
•Chapter 55
•Chapter 56 #Part.1
•Chapter 56 #Part.2
•Chapter 57
•Chapter 58
•Chapter 59
•Epilogue
•A/N

•Chapter 16

12K 497 95
By CissyItsMe

≈Miami, FL...

{ The Next Day | (10 a.m) }

The Halloween party was great. Everybody had a good time and they had to know each other a bit more. They played games, ate, drank a little bit and went to trick and treat with the kids to end the night on a high note. They all got a lot of candy. Kalvin enjoyed it for a first time celebrating Halloween. It was new and fun. Kaldrick and Kalia couldn't agree more. 

Today was the day though !

Kalvin was born twenty-six years ago. It was finally the first of November. He waited for this day for so long, he was happy that he made it until there. This morning, the first thing he did once he was awake was praying the Lord to thank him for giving him the opportunity to live another day on Earth and for all the blessings he received until now. 

He also prayed for Cora's father, who the birthday was today also. Yesterday, they were alone for a moment and they had another interesting conversation. By the way, Cora invited him, Kalia, Kaldrick, Amy and Mikayla for breakfast today and they accepted. Cora's family had been used to celebrate Mr.McKall's birthday with a huge breakfast. They eat all together and talk, mainly about the man who was once physically present in their lives, but never left their hearts. It was mostly Sasha who was always speaking, since she was the one who shared the most time with Bryan McKall.

At 10 a.m, Kalvin and his people arrived in front of Cora's house. They walked towards the front door and rang the doorbell. After one minute, they were welcomed in by Sancy. The long table was already set in the dining room, even the food was already on it. It smelt good, all stomachs were groaning now. Everybody greeted each other and they sat down with Sasha at the head. Across from her, there was a beautiful picture of her lovely husband.

"Now that everybody is here, let's eat ! But before, bow your head and join your hands, please." They did as she said, "Lord, thank you so much for waking all of us this morning, thank you for protecting us, thank you for joining us today around this wonderful table, thank you for the delicious food we're about to feed our bodies with and thank you for taking care of Bryan, who is by your side now and was and will always be the best husband, father, brother, uncle, grandfather and friend you blessed all of us with. I know you will continue to bless all the persons around this table for a long time and I thank you for that too. You're great, we appreciate and love you. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

"Amen."

"And happy birthday again to Kalvin, I wish you another beautiful and successful year filled of joy, love and peace." Sasha added smiling. 

Kalvin returned the face expression, "Thanks, I really appreciate it and thanks again for inviting us today."

She fanned him off, "Aw, we're family now honey." 

"That's what I keep saying." Kalia said beaming.

.

.

.

After three hours of eating, talking and laughing, everybody was full. Now, Sasha was sharing stories about her and Bryan. Cora loved listening to it and to see the stars in her mother's eyes. She was hoping that one day, she will have that type of stories to tell also. One day, maybe...

"Oh, it's so romantic ! It's always great to hear that people found their soulmates." Amy said grinning. She couldn't help, but quickly looked at Kaldrick. She then sighed remembering that spite of all the shit he put her through, she was still madly in love with him. She could do nothing about it. She tried to forget him. She tried to ignore the strong feelings she was feeling for him. She was tired of all the emotions he was always causing to her heart. Yes, she was deep in love and couldn't change it. 

Kalvin noticed it, but said nothing. After all, it was their business and not his. He already had to take care of a lot by his side, he didn't need to add his brother crazy love story to it. But he felt bad for Amy though. She was a good girl who his brother unfortunately bewitched with his charm. He knew she still loved him. He knew her feelings never went away. He couldn't help, but wondering what was his brother's feelings for her though. Even if Kaldrick had never admitted it, Kalvin knew his brother was in love also. He shook his head feeling the headache coming. Love is so damn complicated.

"Yeah, Bryan and I found each other, but it wasn't that easy. We went through a lot before to be able to date." She said waking up their curiosity.

"Like what ? " Sancy asked raising her eyebrow, "We never heard that part before."

"Well, it's another story for another day because we have to go." She said checking the time of her Michael Kors silver watch.

Kalia nodded her head, "True, the BBQ is starting in twenty-five minutes. Well, as usual we're going to  be late." 

"Well, since you're with the birthday boy, you can all be late, no problem." Kalvin said smiling. 

.

.

.

(2:05 p.m)

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KALVIN ! " His family shouted when they made their entry in their aunt May's garden.

Kalvin grinned, "Thanks everybody. I'm glad to see all of yall. Love you ! "

"Love you too ! " They all said back in unison.

For the first thirty minutes, Kalvin introduced Cora, her sister, mother and the twins to his family. And Kaldrick introduced Amy and Mikayla. The Ryans family was huge ! A lot of aunts, a lot of uncles, grandmothers, grandfathers, grandaunts, granduncles and much more of cousins. Fortunately aunt May's house was a mansion, so everybody can move without bothering the other.

May Ryans Dulkelman was a beautiful African-American woman of forty-five years old with short black hair, brown eyes, full lips and a body with amazing and unique curves. For society, she is considered as a plus-size woman, but for her, she was simply an incredible, classic and independent black woman. She was once married with an old white man, Mr.Dulkelman, who died three years ago. He was older than her, but they connected so much intellectually. They truly loved each other. Since they hadn't children and she was the love of his life, she inherited everything he worked hard for during all his life. It was a bit too much for just her, so she shared with her family and gave some to charitable foundations. May hadn't been with another man, but it was not like she needed one to continue to live anyways. She was perfectly fine with herself.

"My little baby Kalvin, you're growing up so fast." She said hugging him. 

Kalvin chuckled, "And you're getting younger within the years. You're looking awesome, auntie." He complimented her kissing her cheek. Aunt May was his favourite. She was one of the members of his family who understood him the most. And she was reminding him so much of his grandmother, her mother. 

"Aw, thank you, baby. Uh...Who is this young lady behind you ? " She asked staring at Cora. 

"Oh ! Auntie May, this is Cora. Cora, this is my aunt May." He introduced them. 

Cora extended her hand, "Nice to meet you." 

Aunt May smiled genuinely. She was never the one to judge people, but the one who was always giving chance to everybody, "Nice to meet you too, Cora." She cleared her throat, "Uh...Kal baby, can we talk, please ? Uh...Cora, don't hesitate, there is food just right here.." She pointed to the long table, "..And this side of the family is very nice." She said throwing shade to Donya and her crazy Christian family. Yeah, the two families never really got along. It was true though, the father's side was funnier.

Cora chuckled getting the hint, "Okay, thanks." And with that said she walked away giving them privacy.

Kalvin shook his head, "You were wrong for that, auntie."

She fanned him off, "Oh, whatever. Anyways, where is that mother of yours ? " She asked folding her arms.

He shrugged, "She didn't even call me...and I don't know if she is gonna actually do it." He knew that she was mad at him and his siblings, but damn !  They were tired of her behavior to be honest, they didn't even care anymore.

Aunt May snorted, "That..." She stopped herself before to say something she will regret later, "Anyways, let's talk about something else. Like miss Cora. Who is she exactly ? " She asked raising her eyebrow.

"She's carrying my first child." He simply answered. 

Her eyes opened widely, "What ?! You're going to be a father ?! " 

He sighed and told her everything. The others members didn't ask questions, but her had to know what was going on.

She shook her head, "You and your brother." She sighed, "Well, every kid is a blessing we should all cherish. I can't wait to meet your baby. And that little Mikayla is so cute and so smart. I just wish she knew that she is actually in the presence of her family. Look, she didn't even know that she's playing with her cousins." She said looking at Mikayla and the others kids. 

"She'll know soon, don't worry." 

.

.

.

As everybody was finishing to eat and were having funny conversations, the DJ went back to his platinum and suddenly Wobble by V.I.C started to echo in the garden, causing some to cheer and to immediately stand up, going to the dance floor in the middle to show their dance moves. 

"Ready to be ridiculed again, boys ? " Acacia asked provocatively smirking. Her and Kalia were ready to show them once again what dance was. Real dance.

"Stop all that talk and leggo." Kalvin said getting on his feet. 

* "(...) Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah
          Wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble baby, wobble, yeah

          Get it there, yeah, yeah
          Get it there, yeah, yeah (...)" *

Everybody knew the steps, everybody was having fun, no one had to worry about nothing, but to dance and to enjoy the special family time. Aunt May was on the side making sure to take this moment -as the others- memorable with her black Nikon D7100 18-105 mm camera. Then Hypnotize by Notorious B.I.G came on and every one who knew the lyrics was rapping and singing along. Kalvin was a bit shocked that Acacia and Almar knew that song though.

"Hey, we know the classics, of course." Almar said causing Kalvin to laugh.

And for the rest of the night, songs were playing and old and young people were moving their hips all together. It was a perfect birthday party to Kalvin. He couldn't ask for more.

* "(...) Now stomp like you mad
          Stomp like you mad
          Stomp like you mad
          I said stomp like you mad (...)" *

At one a.m, it was unfortunately the time to go for Cora and the twins, "Let's go kids." Acacia sighed pouting. She really didn't want to go and her brother neither.

"Mama, one more hour, pleeeeeeeeeease." Almar asked as they were connecting their belongings.

"Hey, yall are leaving ? " Kalvin asked coming towards them with Terry.

Cora nodded, "Yeah, they're not old enough to stay up all night. Plus, they will be all lost on Monday if they sleep all day Sunday to recover."

Suddenly, the instrumental of Like Glue by Sean Paul began. Acacia was about to cry, "Aw, mom, now you know I love that song ! Please ! Please, please, please.! " She begged as Cora rolled her eyes.

"Okay, just this one." Now, you would've thought that it was a Jamaican party. The persons over fifty years old and some of the little ones had left already. 

Cora watched her children interacting with Kalvin. They were cute. She was happy that now they were getting along and gave each other a chance. She knew the twins weren't trusting Kalvin at 100 percent though. They still had a lot to work on, but they were at least improving with their relationship. They were going slowly, but surely.

"Happy birthday again, dad." She mumbled smiling. 

.

.

.

Cora groaned walking downstairs. She was sleeping peacefully, when the doorbell suddenly rang, startling and waking her up at the same time. She rubbed her eyes and looked through the peephole. But then she regretted to have done it. Actually, she was regretting all her past mistakes at that specific moment. But who can blame her though ? She was young, stupid, naive, in love. Well, that's what she thought. In fact, she wasn't in love, but delusional. Delusional for loving a boy like him. 

She didn't know if she should open the door or ignore it. But then the doorbell rang again. She knew he was going nowhere until she answers. Plus she didn't want him to wake the twins up. She didn't need them to see him. No, she didn't want them to meet that cruel man. She didn't want him to hurt her babies like he did to her. She had to protect her angels. 

She sighed rolling her eyes and finally opened the door. She couldn't believe what her eyes were showing her though. She folded her arms, "What are you doing here ? " She asked with a calm tone of voice, but inside the anger was boiling. Everything he did and said was replaying in her head. She wanted to punch him in the face so badly. 

He smirked staring at her body. He liked what he was seeing. She was still so beautiful, even more than what he remembered. He wanted to take her in his arms and kissed her lips, that once belonged to him. Why did he let her go again ?

He was happy to have found her though, "Hey ! You're gorgeous." He said smiling. 

Cora frowned completely disgusted, "Fuck you and go to hell, Cameron ! " 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Feel free to comment and/or to vote =) 

•A/N: Hmm...what do you think about all the characters ? Who is your favorite ? And I just want you to know that the updates will come slowly, since I want to finish my other story before the 31st. I hope you'll be patient. Thanks so much for your support ! 

Thanks for reading guys !

And sorry for the mistakes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 48.7K 51
After five years and a thousand regrets, two old lovers meet again.. "What kind of stunt are you pulling out this time?" I see his eyes blaze in blue...
1.6M 24.4K 76
Love. As 'beautiful' as love can be it hurts and bleeds. If you're unlucky you may even love the very person you know you can't have. The best friend...
3.2M 117K 33
Some people like the cookie. Some like the cream. I like them together, with some milk of course. But, I'm not talking about Oreos. Nope. This is m...
43.6K 909 53
Medical researchers state that a child learns maximum between the age of new born till he/ she is five. But learning never comes to an end. We learn...