One {Mark Sloan}

By Alteate

"Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities... More

Prologue
The Push
Beginning
Mess
Syria
My Only Family
Staying Alive
Prom Queen
What I Am
Friends
M&M
Over
Ashes
Planting a Seed
Fighters
Death Wish
The Chief of Surgery
Toxins
The Past
OPINIONS
Daphnie Miller
The right decision
The Man
Reyansh Deo
Time After Time
Intern Exam
The Date
Hangout Spot
Drunk Mark
Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty
Nara
Meet the Fosters
Miss Grumpy
COVERS PART 2
A Change is Gonna Come
Happy Birthday
Big Boys
Downfall Of Arrogance
To Die Or Not To Die
Hurricane Amelia
Sane Advice
The Art Of Lookin'
Bridal Fights
Stronger
Pushy And Rude
Daddy Issues
Unlucky
Without You
Turning A New Page
Flattery
The Birthday Party
New Rules
Like Me Better
Begin Again
Everything Has Changed
Mark and Ren
Mama Shepherd
Still on My Brain
Happy Ending
Come Together
Slipping into Darkness
Stand By Me
The People That We Love
Let Us Move On
Should I Or Should I Not?
Hell Of A Life
This Wedding Day
An Authors Note
Agree To Disagree
Author's Note
Future Nostalgia
Cold As Ice
Gone Too Soon
Powerless
Wrong Call

The Feeling Of Suffocation

7.2K 217 2
By Alteate

Renee was sitting at the nurse's station, her head in her hands as she closed her eyes, her head was killing her, no amount of coffee and medicine helped with the pain, she could hear Richard and Bailey talking about a patient. She groaned as the noise refused to reduce down, her nose was stuffed and her head felt hot, she was about to lay her head down when someone asked her a question.

"You okay, Dr Foster? Tyler, the nurse, asked her.

"Yeah, fine," Tyler was about to say something when George stormed over to them.

"Why did you do it?"

"Dr O'Malley,"

"Why did you do it once you saw cancer had spread?"

"George..." Bailey sighed.

"He asked you right? He asked you to do it no matter what?"

"We have to honour our patient's wishes."

"You said you would be straight with me. He could have lived for weeks or months. We could have had months with him. My mom...she could have had months with him."

"He wanted a chance to fight the cancer, George. It was his choice." Renee told him.

"He didn't know any better! You knew better! You shouldn't have done it. You shouldn't have done it!" He said before storming off.

"Leave him be, Dr Bailey," Renee said when she saw Dr Bailey trying to go after him.

"We did what Mr O'Malley wished for," Richard said before walking off.

"Should I feel guilty?" Dr Bailey asked Renee before sitting next to her.

"No, there are times where we have to agree to the patient's wishes,"

"But if we hadn't done the man would have had a little more time with his family,"

"He would have but he needed to fight, in his mind, if he would've fought against cancer and lived through it, he would have years with them, we tried our best, he's still recovering, we can't do anything except wait and watch,"

The oncology surgeon was walking through the corridor after checking on her patients, George who was her intern was following her, he still hadn't talked to her except when he was asked questions. They turned around a corner when they saw Mark and Addison talking to each other, he looked miserable, his nose was stuffed and he looked a little red, it was surprising how both Mark and Renee had fallen sick at the same time.

"It's the rain. The constant dampness in the air. It takes the body a while to adjust to it." Addison said before giving him a small smile.

"I don't want to adjust." Mark scoffed.

"Then go home."

"If you had the baby, we'd be together in New York right now and it wouldn't be raining. And even if it was, we wouldn't care because we'd be together. We'd be together and I would have a family instead of walking pneumonia, an ex-best friend who hates me and an ex-girlfriend I would have spent my entire life with," George who was behind Renee watched as her hands fisted together, he placed a hand on her shoulder to support her.

"You didn't want to raise a child Mark. You wanted to trump Derek. You wanted to win."

"Don't make this my fault. You didn't want a baby."

"No, I did want a baby Mark. That last woman you slept with before I left New York...Charlene, the PEDS nurse? Did you think that she was the only one I knew about? You're re-writing history Mark. We wouldn't still be together. We weren't a great couple and you would have made a terrible father Mark. I did want a baby, I did. I just didn't want one with you."

Renee who couldn't think about anything right now walked away, she needed to find the nearest toilet so she could throw up. She couldn't believe her ears, she thought Mark was improving, when he apologized she thought he was being genuine but the conservation between Addison and Mark proved otherwise. She wasn't sure why it was hurting her so much, Mark was supposed to be her past, he was supposed to be non-existence, they were supposed to be done and over with. That chapter was closed. 

Mark who was stunned by Addison's words was distracted by George calling after someone, he looked over at him to see the intern calling after Renee who was walking in an almost trance. Addison who was still beside him looked at him, she could see the nervousness swirling in his eyes as he tried to call after her but he couldn't open his mouth. They were sure Renee had heard everything, the flashbacks from the night when Derek and Renee found them together in bed, the hurt in her eyes, the anger in her eyes but the betrayal in her eyes kept him awake through the nights. Addison didn't know about it but the way Addison was behaving with him and how she was trying to make everything his fault, a part of him knew he made a mistake, a huge mistake.

By cheating on Renee and trying to make it work with Addison instead of begging Renee to forgive him.

She was standing in the conference room, George and his family were sitting on the chairs, the atmosphere in the room wasn't a cheerful one, sadness and tension reeked throughout the room but for some reason, Renee's attention was somewhere else, the Addison's and Mark's conversation was still going on in her mind. Shaking her head she brought her attention towards the O'Malley family, Mr O'Mallley's condition wasn't getting any better, his organs were slowly giving up, he was in pain and soon they would have to unplug him, releasing from his pain.

"You're saying...it's not getting better. You're saying he's not going to wake up." Mrs O'Malley said.

"Mrs O'Malley, all of his organs are shutting down," Richard said.

"His liver and his kidneys are no longer supporting him. And he is entirely dependant upon his life support machine." Renee said as she looked between the family.

"We are saying he is not going to wake up. You can keep him on life support and wait for nature to take its course. That could take days or weeks. Or you can take him off life support." Bailey said.

"Unplug him?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Georgie?" Jerry asked.

"Yeah?"

"What do you think?"

"Dad's in pain. His organs are shutting down. He can't breathe on his own. It's painful. And he's on medication but...medication can only do so much." George said painfully.

"You think...you're saying...you think it's time...to let him go?" 

"We can't tell you what to do here George," Bailey said.

"He's not dad like this. And he's not going to wake up Mom."

Callie was in the on-call room, George had previously broken down in front of her, repeating over and over again how sorry he was before leaving to be with his family leaving her alone. She was sitting there for quite some time before the door opened revealing Renee, her nose red and her eyes brimmed with redness. The attending walked towards her before hugging her, Callie could hear the soft sniffs as she held her tightly and flattened the hair, she didn't need to know what caused the attending to be like this, everything which had happened in the last few days, from seeing Mark after so long to losing Issac to the finding of Mark and Addison's baby, it was overwhelming, she looked up to see Derek standing there, his eyes flickering between her and Renee. 

"It's okay," Callie mouthed to him to which he nodded before giving Renee a last look.

"What's the matter, Ren?" Callie asked softly.

"I'm tired, Callie," 

"Okay,"

"We were supposed to be moving together, you know, we had everything planned out, he had told me that he was going to pick out furniture for the house, I was with Derek at the clinic, working, and he was with Addison having sex. I knew Mark was a manwhore before we got together but he had changed, I knew he had, I could see it in his eyes. There were 2 times where he slipped and I know I shouldn't have forgiven him but I did because I love him and decided to ignore. But when I saw him and Addison together, my heart broke, Callie, it broke into million pieces and I ran away from him, to England where I met Issac, it was like something changed. You know the feeling of suffocation, I was in it all the time but when I met Issac it was like I could breathe again. We were together for 2 years and then it happened and the feeling of suffocation returned, I couldn't bring myself to cry on Issac's death. I don't know why because I loved him, I did and he knew that he excepted the fact that I loved Mark and a part of me will always do but Issac, he was a breath of fresh air and Mark was the feeling of suffocation,"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 29.5K 70
"I don't get it." He shook his head at me, his frustration clear in his eyes. "Why can't you just let yourself be happy, for once?" "What makes you t...
199K 5.5K 46
Mark Sloan; Womaniser. Manwhore. Heartless. Bonnie Teller; Screws like a whore. Sarcastic. Heartless. Both have no idea what life has in store for th...
23.4K 315 16
so this starts off by Derek choosing Addison over Meredith.A lot of tragic things happen to meredith which makes derek realize he loves her but never...
163K 4.4K 102
A tragic event happened in Derek's life, which caused him to lose his sight. Can Meredith help Derek through this hard time? I don't own or write th...