One {Mark Sloan}

By Alteate

"Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities... More

Prologue
The Push
Beginning
Mess
My Only Family
Staying Alive
Prom Queen
What I Am
Friends
M&M
Over
Ashes
Planting a Seed
Fighters
Death Wish
The Feeling Of Suffocation
The Chief of Surgery
Toxins
The Past
OPINIONS
Daphnie Miller
The right decision
The Man
Reyansh Deo
Time After Time
Intern Exam
The Date
Hangout Spot
Drunk Mark
Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty
Nara
Meet the Fosters
Miss Grumpy
COVERS PART 2
A Change is Gonna Come
Happy Birthday
Big Boys
Downfall Of Arrogance
To Die Or Not To Die
Hurricane Amelia
Sane Advice
The Art Of Lookin'
Bridal Fights
Stronger
Pushy And Rude
Daddy Issues
Unlucky
Without You
Turning A New Page
Flattery
The Birthday Party
New Rules
Like Me Better
Begin Again
Everything Has Changed
Mark and Ren
Mama Shepherd
Still on My Brain
Happy Ending
Come Together
Slipping into Darkness
Stand By Me
The People That We Love
Let Us Move On
Should I Or Should I Not?
Hell Of A Life
This Wedding Day
An Authors Note
Agree To Disagree
Author's Note
Future Nostalgia
Cold As Ice
Gone Too Soon
Powerless
Wrong Call

Syria

12.5K 348 51
By Alteate

Renee and Issac were sitting opposite of Preston and Christina, the atmosphere was awkward, apparently, Burke hadn't told Christina about the dinner plans which the intern wasn't exactly happy about. Issac had even offered to postpone the dinner plans but Burke was pretty insistent which led them to the position they were in right now. While Issac and Preston talked about their jobs, Renee thought it would be a good idea to bond with Christina who hadn't talked much the entire evening. 

"Which speciality are you planning on going?" Renee asked Christina as she sipped her wine.

"I think Cardio, I am determined on Cardio,"

"Cardio's good, it's very good but I suggest trying different specialities before fixing your mind,"

"What made you choose Oncology?"

"Oncology wasn't my first pick, I did Paediatrics for a few years before shifting to Oncology, one of my friends died of cancer,"

"Oh! I am sorry,"

"Uh, turned out she wasn't a good friend, bitched about me behind my back," Renee laughed as she swigged the wine in one single sip.        

"I don't know what to say,"

"Don't say anything, just drink, I am sure you have had a long day,"

"Good Morning, Dr Foster,"

Renee looked up from her chart to see a short woman standing in front of her, the woman looked at her with an uncomfortable smile like she wasn't used to smiling and there was a baby in her hand along with five interns who looked like they could be anywhere else in the world.

"Yes?"

"Uh-I am Dr Bailey and I am the Resident assigned to you today,"

"Dr Bailey, may I ask you a question?"

"Yes,"

"Why do you have a baby at work?"

"Well my husband had work today, I could leave him at daycare but -"

"It's not a problem, can I hold him?" Renee asked.

"Um, yes, of course," Bailey gave her baby to Renee who immediately went into her baby voice mode.

"Dr Bailey, if you need some time off until your husband comes, take it, I'll torture one of your interns," 

"Certainly, who do you want?"

"I heard there's a 007 among them,"

"That's me, Dr George O'Malley," George said as the other snickered.

"What do you people find funny?" She snapped at the others.

"O'Malley, come on, we'll have fun,"

"She's great," George said as he joined the others for lunch.

"Who?"

"Foster,"

"Dude, she called you 007," Alex said with a smirk.

"I don't care, she's great, here she comes-" George said as the other looked up to see Renee sit next to Issac.

"Who's that?" Meredith asked as she slurped her juice.

"Please don't tell me he's her boy.....friend," George trailed as she pecked Issac on his cheek.  

"Poor Georgie,"

"What?! Stop it, stop making it something it's not,"

"I heard she was with Sloan," Meredith said.

"Sloan? Plastic Sloan? Mark Sloan?"

"Do you any other Sloan?" 

"How do you know that?"

"She's Derek's best friend, they went to college together, did their internship and residency together, he had to drag her out of his apartment when they found Addison and Mark together,"

"Damn, she's his Christina," Izzie said.

"I love that you people find my life to be amusing, let's get back to work, O'Malley?" 

The hospital was quiet that day for the oncologist, there were no new cases and no surgeries, just a couple of post-ops and then she was free for the day. They have been in Seattle for a week now and neither of them had seen the city properly, so they decided to use the free evening to visit some tourist spots and have a nice dinner later on. However, when they were at the Chihuly Garden and Glass, Issac got a call from home.

"Yes, Sir......Right, Sir," Issac said as he cut his phone, looking sadly at Renee.

"When?"

"In two days," They were sitting at one of the benches, Renee looked at him, she was sad he had to go so quickly, she was hoping they would have another week or so together.

"Couldn't you ask for a few more days?" She said as she pressed a kiss to his jaw.

"There's one more thing," Issac looked down at her.

"Iraq?" Renee whispered to which he shook his head.

"Syria," Issac whispered as he felt her hugging him tightly.

"We still have two days right?"

"I love you,"

"I love you, too,"

She meant that. 

Time of death 8:17,"

Renee grabbed her scrub cap and removed her bloody gloves angrily throwing them in the dustbin, her hands resting on the sink as she watched her now-dead patient laying on the table, it had been a complicated surgery but it was a surgery she had done many times before.

Walking outside the OR she notices every surgeon who had surgery that day standing with solemn looks on their faces. She walked towards Derek who looked saddened by the death of his patient.

"Hot cocoa?" She asked him.

"Hot cocoa,"

"What's going on with you and Grey?"

"We have decided to be friends,"

"Friends with benefits?"

"No, just friends, like us, you know who give advise and stuff,"

"As far as I have seen, Grey goes to Yang for advice and stuff, she isn't coming to you,"

"Meredith says Christina's her person, whatever that means,"

"That means she's her person like you're my person," She said as she bummed Derek giving him a small smile.

"Your person? So I'll get the dirty secrets?"

"Don't make me regret it,"

"What's going on with you and Issac? That guy's spending every hour here,"

"He's going to Syria, tomorrow actually,"

"Then what are you still doing here, go enjoy the time you have,"

"You think Chief will agree?"

"We have known him for a long time, I think he'll spare you,"

"Chief Webber," Derek called the chief.

Richard looked at Issac, Renee and Derek who were walking towards him probably to talk about the death of the four patients in the OR that day.

"Renee, I heard you lost your patient today,"

"Yes, sir but we lost three other's today,"

"Superstition? You believe it?"

"Not every superstition there is but we have seen the three's and seven's deaths one,"

"In the army, we had one, the MRE or the 'Meal, Ready to Eat' had candy as a dessert and if you'd eat it during a patrol, the weather will turn on you, especially if you eat the green one,"

"Have you thought about my offer, Captain," Richard asked as he watched the nurse clean the board.

"With all due respect, I can't abandon my position in the Army, I'll think about it if I have had enough of the army,"

"Uh, worth a try," Richard said.

"Uh, Chief, Renee needs to ask you something," Derek said.

"Actually Chief, I need to talk to you," Issac said.

"What is it?"

"I am leaving for Syria tomorrow, I am hoping that you'll let Renee have her rest of the day off,"

"Syria? Really? Yeah, take the day off, Renee, I see you tomorrow, have fun,"

Renee and Issac had spent the rest of their day in bed together, they had lost the amount of time they had been there tangled in each other's arms. Renee was resting her head on his chest as he played with her hair, both of them were quite wanting to enjoy the last few hours they had together. Renee hadn't realised how much she was going to miss the man, they had been together for about 18 months, she was lucky that Issac wasn't posted anywhere in the time they had been together.

"I love you," She whispered to him.

"I love you, too, so much," They both were mentally preparing themselves that they never might see each other again, Syria was dangerous territory, it was quiet one minute and the next minute there was a bomb blast.

"Come on, we'll have a date night,"

"It's 2 am, where would you find a restaurant open?"

"Chinese takeout," Renee laughed.

"Chinese takeout, I love the idea,"

"And a movie?"

"A movie,"

"You'll call, right?" Renee said as she hugged him tightly. They were standing by the departure gate of the airport.

"I'll call," Issac whispered as he pressed multiple kisses to her hair.

"Don't go," She said as she presses her lips to his, her eyes were getting glossy as she furiously tried to blink them away.

"I wish I couldn't, I so wish, love,"

"Stay here, Chief Webber has offered you a job, I am sure he'll-"

"Love, listen to me, I don't know when will we meet the next time but we'll meet, okay, be happy and don't stay alone, meet someone,"

"Stop saying that, you don't get to say things like that," Renee cried.

"It's the truth,"

"You are coming back, you will come back, we'll get married, we'll get a house and have pretty children,"

"Yeah, we would make pretty children, don't we?" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.4K 996 30
* CURRENTLY BEING EDITED * ALL EDITED CHAPTERS START WITH A NUMBER _________________________________ In our lifetimes we are given many options. Stup...
23.4K 315 16
so this starts off by Derek choosing Addison over Meredith.A lot of tragic things happen to meredith which makes derek realize he loves her but never...
163K 4.4K 102
A tragic event happened in Derek's life, which caused him to lose his sight. Can Meredith help Derek through this hard time? I don't own or write th...
35.9K 941 33
AU: Derek cheats on Meredith after their argument about the Alzheimer's trial. Meredith couldn't bare Seattle anymore, seeing him every day - leavin...