descent | 𝐊𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐒 [HIATUS]

By totheIakes

Whether you come as lover or executioner, I am ready to receive you. © totheiakes The Orig... More

𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄.
𝐚𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐬
𝟎𝟎
𝟎𝟏
𝟎𝟐
𝟎𝟑
𝟎𝟒
𝟎𝟓
𝟎𝟔
𝟎𝟕
𝟎𝟖
𝟎𝟗
𝟏𝟎
𝟏𝟏
𝟏𝟐
𝟏𝟑
𝟏𝟒
𝟏𝟓
𝟏𝟔
𝟏𝟕
𝟏𝟖
𝟏𝟗
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎.
𝟎𝟏
𝟎𝟐
𝟎𝟑
𝟎𝟒
𝟎𝟓
𝟎𝟔
𝟎𝟕
𝟎𝟖
𝟎𝟗
𝟏𝟎
𝟏𝟏
𝟏𝟐
𝟏𝟑
𝟏𝟒
𝟏𝟓
𝟏𝟔
𝟏𝟕
𝟏𝟖
𝟏𝟗
𝟐𝟎
𝟐𝟏
𝟐𝟐
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄.
𝟎𝟏
𝟎𝟐
𝟎𝟑
𝟎𝟒
𝟎𝟓
𝟎𝟔
𝟎𝟕
𝟎𝟖
𝟎𝟗

𝟐𝟑

10.3K 528 1.3K
By totheIakes

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚-𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 ﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rory didn't spend that much time with Marcel, but he was a good man, that much she knew. You just had to be if you spent your life with the Mikaelsons and lived to tell the tale. No, not only that, but people loved you. People loved Marcel Gerard. At one point, people even worshipped him—the king of the Quarter, people called him. Just like his father.

A cigarette burns between her fingers as she reclines on the sofa in the courtyard. The cancer stick is burning, but she's made no move to smoke it. It seems like it's just there for decoration these days. She stares out into nothing in particular—she's too exhausted to think, or speak, or act. She feels like she's stuck; completely and utterly.

Her view of Klaus' portrait is blocked by none other than Elijah Mikaelson. Rory's brown eyes flicker up to meet his gaze. His lips are downturned into a frown, pressed together into a thin line. Rory doesn't know what to think about Elijah anymore. How far he has strayed from the man she knew from Mystic Falls.

This isn't Elijah.

Or was it? Did Rory just not know the layers that resided beneath the older Mikaelson brother? Perhaps she was just like Elijah's other victims—fooled by the spotless suit and handsome smile, charmed by his kind words and reassuring gaze.

He was a friend, and now he was a monster.

"Rory, I'd like to apologise," when Elijah speaks, the words he says doesn't compute as such. She remembers the feeling of his fingers around her neck, harsh, crushing her windpipe under his grip. Don't, Rory. "The way I handled you...it was ungentlemanly and unbecoming of me. I should not have done what I did."

Rory taps the excess off her cigarette. She makes no move to smoke it.

"And as for Marcellus—"

"Marcel," Rory speaks for the first time that day. She's glad that it's his name that she says. "His name isn't Marcellus. It's Marcel. It wasn't Malachai either, it was Kai. And I don't forgive you," Rory looks up at him, clenching her jaw. "What you did...that was just low of you, Elijah. I have seen the extents that your family has gone through but killing a man that was mourning his own daughter is just awful."

"I did what I had to do for this family, Rory. You will need to understand that if you're going to become one of us. This family has survived for as long as we have for a reason: we have stuck together. Family above all,"

"I couldn't do what you did to them," Rory whispers. "I couldn't do what you did to Davina. I couldn't do what you did to Marcel. If that's what it takes to become part of your family, then that isn't something I want. If I have to lose my humanity, if I have to subject an innocent young girl to the very ancestors that want to torture her, Elijah...if I have to rip the heart out of my nephew's chest and subject him to death for feeling sad, I don't want to have any part of this."

"My siblings and I have done things that are unheard of in the name of protecting this family. If you cannot see that, perhaps you are not fit to be one of us," Elijah's tone grows cold as Rory spews venom in his direction.

"Good," Rory pushes herself into a standing position. She glares at him angrily, her lips curled into a look of disgust. "Because if I somehow excuse your actions just in the name of undoing a vision that Freya had that may or may not be true is the day I think I've lost everything that makes me who I am. If I'm not fit to be one of you, at least I'd have a heart."

Elijah's lips part at Rory's words, shock written all over his face. Rory drops the cigarette to the ground, crushing it under her feet. She stalks up the stairs to Freya's study, pausing at the doorway.

"Freya," Rory calls. Freya turns to face her, lifting her gaze from the grimoire in her hand. "Bonnie's blood. Is it here yet?"

An unreadable look passes over Freya's face. "No," Freya ends up responding. "It isn't."

"You said it would be here by sunrise," Rory frowns, stepping into the room.

"Perhaps there was a problem with the delivery," Freya offers.

"No," Rory argues. "If there was a problem, Bonnie would've called you. Or at least she would've called me."

"Rory, I have other things to attend to—"

"—Where is Bonnie's blood, Freya?" Rory repeats, her voice rising.

Sensing the hostility in her tone, Freya closes her grimoire and places the book back on the table. She lets out a small sigh, turning her head to face Rory. "I didn't call her."

"What?"

"I couldn't forgive you after what you did to Finn," Freya responds.

"Did you even link Kai and I together?"

"I did. That, I did not fake,"

"Why?" Rory asks. "Why would you lie to me like that?"

"Because you had a letter opener pressed against my neck, Rory. I couldn't exactly tell you no," Freya argues. "It was clear enough to me that you wouldn't take anything besides an affirmative for an answer. But technically, I kept my part of the bargain. You told me that I had to keep Kai alive. I did."

"I meant to keep him alive and walking, Freya," Rory hisses.

"I don't have time for this," Freya tosses her grimoire aside, making her way towards a map spread out on the table.

"The hell you don't," Rory stalks towards her, attempting to intercept her. "I'm going to call Bonnie and you are going to fix Kai."

"There is danger coming for my brother from all sides of the world, Rory. You and Kai are the least of my problems right now," Freya snaps.

"What the hell is going on here?" Kol's voice sounds from the doorway, making both Rory and Freya turn to her. Seeing Rory's agitated stance, his eyebrows pull into a frown. "Rory, are you alright?"

"Seriously?" Freya mutters under her breath in annoyance.

Rory clenches her jaw once she catches Freya's whisper. She rolls her eyes, turning on her heel to stomp past Kol.

He grabs at Rory's arm, making her turn to face him. "Tell me what's wrong," Kol demands as he meets her gaze.

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong, I..." Rory suddenly doubles over as a sudden wave of dizziness hits her, staggering on her feet. Kol lets out a small sound of surprise as he wraps an arm around her waist to keep her steady.

"Rory? Rory, what is it?" Kol asks urgently.

"I don't know, I..." Rory's words trail off as nausea settles in her stomach. She hunches over, bile rising in her throat. "I think I'm going to be sick—"

"—What's happening?" Klaus appears at the end of the hallway, rushing to Rory's side. Seeing the girl doubled over, Klaus' expression grows ashen. "Kol, what is it?"

"I don't know! She just fell over!" Kol exclaims in a panicked manner.

"Rory," Klaus tilts her head back, seeing a trail of blood leave her nose. "Rory, can you hear me?"

"I don't feel so good," Rory mumbles.

Just as she says so, blood trails out of the corner of her mouth. Her eyes roll back into her head as she loses consciousness completely, her knees giving out from underneath her. Klaus immediately catches her in his grip.

"Rory? Rory!" Klaus exclaims. "No, no, no—what's happening?"

"The link," Kol suddenly says from beside Klaus. Klaus looks up at his brother, eyes wide in confusion. "She linked her life to Kai's. Come on, brother—we know more than most about linking spells: what happens to one, happens to all."

"The poison in Kai's system. What's happening to him is affecting her too," Klaus states in disbelief. "We have to undo the link—"

"—No," Kol immediately interjects. "We can't. If we unlink them, Kai dies immediately. If Rory lives through this and finds out what we did, she will never forgive us or herself; you know this."

"I am not letting my fiancée die, Kol!" Klaus exclaims.

"Where is the Bennett blood? We'll find Vincent, ask him to do the reversing spell," Kol questions quickly.

Both Klaus and Kol turn their head to Freya, who stands in the corner of the room. Horror is written all over her face, frozen as a block of ice as she stares at Rory's unconscious body.

"Freya," a warning tone is registered in Klaus' voice as he feels the guilt rolling off Freya's body in waves.

"I..." Freya trails off. "I never got the blood."

Klaus' eyelids slip closed at his sister's words. When he opens them again, his expression is eerily calm. "Why?" his tone is clear enough—he's furious beyond belief. Despite him saying it with a plain face, there's enough emotion in his voice that rattles Freya's bones.

"Finn—"

"—Finn was nothing, Freya!" Klaus roars, slamming his fist against the doorway. "He was pathetic. All he tried to do as long as he lived was kill all of us! You would sacrifice Rory's life—my fiancée's life—for some petty squabble over our brother that is long gone? I gave you direct instructions to do whatever it took to keep Malachai alive and you disobeyed me."

"Finn was family!"

"So is Rory!" Klaus shouts, equally as loud. Freya's mouth clamps shut, tears lining her eyes. Klaus holds Rory's head against his chest. "You do whatever it takes to fix this, Freya. Call the Bennett witch, call whoever. I will not lose the woman I love, do you understand?"

"Klaus, there are people coming for you," Freya says.

"I have torn apart armies for less. If Rory does not make it through the night, Freya, so help me," Klaus' eyes meet his sister's, driving his point home. "I will never forgive you."

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

Rory's eyes slowly peel open, her vision adjusting to the sight of the ceiling fan above her. She has a pounding headache starting between her temples, sweat dotting her forehead. A hand is clasped tightly around hers, intertwining their fingers. Rory turns her head weakly to see Klaus sitting on her bedside, resting his forehead against her knuckles.

"Nik?" Rory croaks out.

Klaus' head lifts, and he immediately stands up to sit at the edge of the bed. He brushes a hair from her face, worry written all over his face. "How are you feeling, lovely?" he whispers softly, cupping her face in his hand.

"Bad," Rory lets out a small whimper as a sharp pain stabs her in the stomach. Her eyes flutter shut as a trickle of blood trails down her nose. "I feel a lot of pain. Why does it hurt so much?" Rory's hand weakly lifts to grasp at Klaus' wrist. "What's happening to me?"

"It's the link," Klaus responds softly. "You and Kai's. What's happening to him is starting to affect you too, Rory. Freya has been making herbs and tonics to slow down its effects, but without the Bennett witch's blood, we don't know how long you have left. The only option is to sever—"

"—No," Rory interjects, shaking her head. "No, no. If there's time, buy it. I don't want..." Rory coughs, blood trailing past her lips. "Kai doesn't have anyone, Klaus. He never had a family of his own. I don't want to let him down, I refuse to let him down. Please, please—"

"Shh," Klaus rests his forehead against Rory's, wiping a tear that trails out of the corner of her eye. "I'm not letting anything happen to either of you. Bonnie's blood is on the way, I've made the call and explained the urgency. She's sending someone here as fast as she can. It's going to be okay, Rory."

"If there's a choice between Kai or me, you know which one I want you to choose, don't you?" Rory questions.

Klaus closes his eyes, shaking his head. "That isn't an option, Rory."

"Yes it is. Yes it is," Rory nods, tightening her grip on his wrist. "Please, Nik. If it's me or Kai, I want you to choose Kai."

"Rory, I love you."

"I know you do. And I love you. So much," Rory's free hand rests over the back of Klaus' neck. "You are everything to me, Nik. You have given me everything. But I'm asking you for one more favour. Please, I want Kai to live his life. I don't want him to die here. I want to give him a choice—"

"No. No, I will not choose anyone over you,"

"What if it was Elijah?" Rory asks. Klaus' mouth clamps shut. "Hm? What if it was Elijah? If it was you or Elijah, I know that your first choice would be to choose him. So please, Nik," Rory's hand curls into his hair. "Respect my decision. If you can only save one of us, save my brother."

Klaus' breath stutters as his free hand rests over Rory's waist. He tugs her closer, pressing their lips together. Rory kisses him back, her mouth moving against his. They kiss like it's the last time, and in this moment, Rory thinks that it really might be. Klaus kisses her like the only name he wants her to remember is his. Rory's fairly sure that it might be.

Rory pulls away from the kiss, rolling over to cough out a mouthful of blood. The pounding in her head grows as she clutches at the side of her head, letting out a soft groan of pain.

"Rory—" Klaus' sentence is cut off by the sound of shouts ringing through the compound. It's loud and rambunctious, followed by the sound of the gates breaking apart.

Kol shows up at the doorway, a grim look on his face. "Sorry to interrupt, but you might want to see this,"

"What's going on?" Klaus demands.

"Just look, Nik," Kol responds. Klaus spares another glance in Rory's direction, the brunette nodding weakly for him to go. With hesitance, Klaus lifts himself off the bed and walks out into the hallway. Kol turns to leave but pauses at the sight of Rory's pale face. "You don't look very good." he comments, just because he can't help it.

Rory's lips upturn into a small smile. "Not so pretty after a few rounds of poison—who would've guessed?" Rory jokes. Her expression turns grim as she manages to hear a familiar voice ring throughout the compound. "Is that...is that Marcel?"

"Rory, wait—" Kol starts as Rory pushes herself into a standing position, attempting to get off the bed. She wobbles in her step, Kol rushing to her side to hold her up. "Rory, you need to rest. The more you exert yourself, the faster the poison breaches your system."

"I'm already dead as it is," Rory pulls herself out of Kol's grip, attempting to walk out the door. She almost falls, her hand clutching onto the doorway for support. She pushes herself towards the balcony outside, holding onto the railings. She rubs at her eyes as she realises who it was that stands before her. "Marcel."

Marcel's gaze lifts from the Mikaelsons in front of him, his eyes connecting with hers. He registers the weakened state she's in, his eyebrows pulling together in concern. "Rory?"

"Oh my god," Rory almost falls over, but Kol grabs her to steady her. "How are you here?" she asks in an incredulous manner. Then, realisation sets in. "You took the...you took the serum, didn't you? Even before the bridge..."

Rory's sentence trails off as black dots form in her eyesight, another wave of dizziness hitting her. "Hey, hey, hey," Marcel stalks towards her. "What's going on with her? What's happening?"

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with," Klaus intercepts him, glowering in contempt.

Marcel gives him a scowl, shaking his head. "Like hell it ain't. She's my friend,"

"A friend that you wouldn't hesitate to bite, probably," Kol hisses from beside her.

"Rory? Nah," Marcel shakes her head. "You, however..."

The rest of Marcel's words don't manage to register itself in Rory's ears. She falls limp in Kol's arms once more as her head lolls backwards, blood beginning to drip from her ears. Kol's eyes zero in on the black veins beginning to crawl up her arms and legs, slowly forming as every second passes.

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

When Rory opens her eyes again, she stares into the gaze of none other than Damon Salvatore. Confusion is the first emotion that runs through her head, her eyebrows pulling together into a frown.

"Am I in hell?"

Damon's lips twitch into an amused smile at Rory's question. "Good to know you haven't changed a bit, princess," he responds. Rory's eyes flicker over his shoulder. She's not in the Mikaelson compound anymore. In fact, it looks like she's in a hotel room. "Don't worry, I'm not here to stay. Gotta say though, you look busted."

"What are you doing here?" Rory pushes herself into a sitting position. Her arms buckle underneath her, but before she can fall back onto the bed, Damon catches her just in time. He rests her back against the headboard.

"A little birdy called and told me you needed BonBon's blood," Damon supplies. "That little birdy was a vulture and his name was Klaus."

"How did you get here so fast?"

"Driving halfway, vamp speed did the rest," Damon shrugs. "Kinda figured it was urgent because your stupid boyfriend wouldn't stop yelling into the receiver. Like, I get it—people's girlfriends are on the verge of death all the time. I'm dating your sister, I understand that more than most."

"Klaus," Rory lets out a small breath. "Where's Klaus? Marcel, he—"

"Relax, crazy. Your boyfriend's outside. Just figured you'd want to see at least one beautiful mug when you wake up," Damon wiggles his eyebrows with a smirk.

"I'm dying, Damon. I'm not delirious," Rory tosses the blankets off her legs, wincing slightly as she slowly pushes herself into a standing position. Damon holds onto her arm, ensuring that she doesn't fall. "Thanks."

"Eh, don't thank me yet. Doesn't look good for everyone else out there,"

Rory gives him a worried look before she makes her way towards the door. She tugs it open, only for Kol's screams of pain to hit her ears full force. Her eyes widen as she takes in the sight of pure chaos in the penthouse living room. Elijah's clothes are mangled, a bloody bite mark on his forearm. Teeth marks are on Kol's arm as well, and Freya's hunched over the table, bleeding from her nose.

Hayley and Klaus are the only two that seemed to get out unscarred, as well as baby Hope.

"What the fuck," Rory speaks out. All heads immediately turn to her—besides Kol, who seems to be struggling with vivid hallucinations—and Klaus immediately rushes to her side. "Nik, what the hell is going on?"

"Well, if it isn't already obvious, we might've gotten a bit ambitious and Marcel's gone and bit everyone," Klaus responds with hesitance.

"Are you fucking serious? Did you guys try to fight him?" Rory scolds as Damon transfers the grip on her arm from his to Klaus'. Rory uses her free hand to smack Klaus' chest. "Are you insane? You have gone absolutely insane. His bite could kill you and you're all just going ahead, charging in to fight? You deserve to get bit!"

Klaus' jaw drops. "Rory!"

"I said what I said!" Rory argues. "What the hell is wrong with Freya? She's a witch, she can't die from Marcel's bite."

"No, but she can die from poison," Klaus mutters quietly. Rory turns to face him in confusion. "A Strix vampire snuck into our home and scratched her with a poisoned ring."

"Yikes," Damon voices from behind them.

Klaus lifts his head in irritation. "Remind me why you're still here?"

"Uh, I just wanted to say hi to princess before I go. Duh," Damon rolls his eyes. "And I did. So now I'm going to say bye. Bye, Rory. Have fun with...dealing with all of this."

"Did I just hear Damon Salvatore's voice?" Kol questions deliriously from the couch. "Why the hell am I hallucinating Damon Salvatore? This...this isn't right—"

"Go, Damon," Rory demands, seeing the mischievous look in Damon's eyes.

"But—"

"—He's dying already. Go," Rory repeats firmly.

Damon rolls his eyes with a soft huff, turning to leave the penthouse. Rory shakes her head as Klaus leads her to one of the chairs, letting her rest against the furniture.

"There...is a slight problem," Klaus begins to talk over Kol's moans of pain.

"To add to the already growing lists of problems?" Rory questions.

"Yes. It's a long list," Klaus responds. Rory rolls her eyes, gesturing for him to go on. "Marcel wants me to come back to the compound."

"Absolutely not, Nik—"

"—There's more," Klaus intervenes. He shifts in his step, looking around nervously. "He wants me to bring you."

"What?"

"And there's more,"

"You've got to just start saying all your points in one sentence, babe,"

"I'm sorry. But he also has Kai's coffin,"

Rory's eyes almost bulge out of their sockets. "Marcel has what?"

"Kai's coffin," Klaus responds.

"Why the fuck does he have Kai's coffin? How did he even get it?"

"We don't know how he even managed to find where we hid it, but all we know is that he has it and he wants you to come with me,"

"Okay. Okay, I'm coming,"

"Rory, wait," Klaus grabs her arm before she can stand up. "I don't think you should."

"What? You were the one that just told me Marcel has Kai and he wants me to come!" Rory exclaims.

"I wanted to let you know because I'm planning on going. On my own," Klaus responds. Rory opens her mouth to protest immediately, but Klaus raises a finger. "Rory, you're not well enough to even stand on your bloody own. If it's a fight Marcel wants, you will not be able to fight back."

"I don't care, Nik. I'm not letting you go alone, it's too dangerous," Rory disagrees, shaking her head.

"Rory, please,"

"No, Nik," Rory states firmly. "Marcel wants to see me, he has Kai's coffin, and you are not potentially walking into your death alone. I'm going with you," Rory squeezes his hand in her own. "We're a team, remember? We're getting through this together."

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

Rory barely recognises the compound anymore. Most of the furniture has been set aflame, vampires filling the courtyard. Klaus' arm envelopes her as he tugs her against his side as prying eyes burn into her skin, attempting to shield her. Rory's knees are a second away from giving out, and when she looks down at her hands, black veins start to poke past her wrists.

She slips her hands into her pockets, her gaze lifting from the ground to meet Marcel's.

"Grab him," is the first thing Marcel says.

Immediately, Klaus is yanked from Rory's side. She stumbles on her feet, but another vampire holds her up. She recognises him as one of the Strix. His hand rests respectfully over her lower back, his free hand around her arm to stand her upright.

"Rory!" Klaus exclaims.

"It's fine," Marcel says as he strides towards the brunette. "I'm not going to hurt her," a chill runs Rory's spine as Marcel smiles at her. "We're just going to have a little chat."

"Marcel! Marcel!" Klaus shouts as Marcel starts leading Rory away.

"If you hurt anyone Klaus, I'm not against going back on my word," Marcel turns over his shoulder to give Klaus a meaningful look as he places a hand over Rory's shoulder. He raises an eyebrow, gesturing towards Rory.

Klaus immediately relaxes in the grip of the vampires that hold him back.

Marcel smiles in his direction, before turning back to lead Rory up the stairs towards the study. As soon as Rory steps into the room, Marcel closes the doors behind them to seal them away.

Rory turns to face him immediately. "What are you doing with Kai's coffin?" Rory demands.

"Relax," Marcel soothes her. "I'm not doing anything with him. In fact, I'm here to help." Marcel pulls out a vial of blood. It's labelled with Sharpie in Damon's handwriting: 4 RORY FRM BON.

"Marcel, no. I need that—"

"—To heal Kai. I know," Marcel interjects. "But I don't think Freya's going to be doing anything considering she's poisoned. This would be safer in my hands, don't you think?"

"What do you want? Why did you ask me to come here?"

"I know that you're dying," Marcel responds. Rory purses her lips in surprise. A trickle of blood drips from her nose, and Rory immediately wipes it away. "And I know that you don't have a lot of time left. I brought you here as a favour to a friend. Without Freya, there ain't no one that's going to help you, Rory. They know who you are, and who exactly it is you're engaged to."

"I don't see how that's going to help me," Rory replies.

"I'm going to ask you to make a choice," Marcel steps forward, holding the vial of blood out to Rory. "Stay here. I'll ask Vincent to cook up an antidote for both you and Kai. He's one of the most powerful witches I know."

"Or?"

"Or...you can leave," Marcel shrugs. "Take this blood and try and find someone else on the outside that's willing to help you. Because let me tell you, Rory—not many people are willing to risk it on Klaus Mikaelson's fiancée and a heretic that murdered his entire coven."

"What are you going to do to Klaus?" Rory whispers.

"You know I can't let him live,"

"I can't let you kill him, Marcel," Rory responds immediately.

"You don't have a choice," Marcel shrugs. "It's either him or you and your brother. And judging by the way you're bleeding out of your ears again, I don't think you got enough time."

Rory closes her eyes, feeling a wave of nausea hit her. She doesn't know if it's from the poison or the fact that she's being asked to choose again.

"I don't want to choose,"

"Welcome to being a part of this world, Rory," Marcel takes a step forward. "You love someone, and it's either you die, or they do. Make a choice, because it's the only thing I'll give you."

"Why are you letting me choose?" Rory questions.

"Because you tried to help," Marcel gives her a small smile. "You hugged me, and you told me we could watch the sunset together. You told me I didn't even have to listen to Klaus, knowing that he could've potentially saved your asses. And that takes a good heart; a strong one. You might be engaged to him, but you aren't a Mikaelson, Rory. And that's why I'm giving you a choice, just like how you wanted to give me one."

Rory stares at Marcel, the air feeling like its fallen still around them. The handsome Malachai or your beloved Niklaus?

"Call Vincent," Rory says.

Marcel's lips upturn into a full-blown grin. He nods, like he approves. He taps the vial against his hand. "Alright," he responds. "You got it, doll."

He turns to walk away, but Rory calls him again. "Don't kill him," Rory states. Marcel turns around, already prepared to argue, but Rory talks over him. "Don't kill him, because you know he doesn't deserve that mercy. He's hurt a lot of people, Marcel. You seriously just want everything to end all quick and breezy like that?"

Marcel raises an eyebrow. "Isn't he your fiancé?"

"He is. But I'm not blind. I know what he's done, and he's lived a long life without remorse," Rory swallows the lump in her throat. "You shouldn't kill him. Make him suffer."

Freya's voice rings through Rory's mind, the witch stopping her before she left alongside Klaus. Whatever you do, keep Klaus alive. I have a plan to save us.

Marcel regards her one last time before he leaves. "Hm," he says. "I guess you have a point."

With that, the door slams shut behind him. Rory covers her mouth, feeling tears gather at her lash line as she collapses onto the floor.

What the hell did you just do?

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

a few days later.

It's different without the Mikaelsons in town. Hayley texted her that night, short and sweet. We're leaving. Thanks, Rory.

That's the last she's heard of Hayley since. It seems that she switched her phone off or tossed it completely; she hadn't been able to get a hold of her. Rory thinks it's probably best. The guilt eats at her knowing what she's done to Hope. She's torn a father away from her child in the name of her own selfishness.

Rory leaves her room, making her way down the steps. A familiar man passes by her. She remembers him from the night of Klaus' daggering—the Strix member that held her. Jasper. He's going down to the cellar.

"Jasper," Rory calls out, making the man pause in his steps. He turns to face her. "I'll do it."

"You've done it the last two days. Marcel thinks it's probably best that you stay away—" Jasper starts.

"—I don't care what Marcel says," Rory takes the blood bag from his grip. Jasper raises an eyebrow in response, but steps away with his arms raised in surrender. "You can go now."

Jasper turns on his heel to stalk off, looking over his shoulder to give her a backward glance. Rory clutches the blood bag in her hands before she makes her way down to the cellar. She stops in front of the salt circle that prevents anybody from going out or coming in, and her gaze meets Klaus Mikaelson's.

"Hello," Klaus greets her.

"Hi," Rory responds.

She crouches in front of him, placing the blood bag into the barrier. He leans forward to take it, ripping off the tube to down the contents. Rory's eyes burn into the shackles around his wrist and ankles, her lips forming a frown. 

"Don't cry," Klaus breaks the silence, seeing her eyes water before Rory even realises. "Rory, don't cry. This isn't your fault."

"It is," Rory nods quickly. "It is, I shouldn't have been so selfish. I should've found another way—"

"—There was no other way, lovely," Klaus reaches forward, but his hand doesn't past the barrier. His jaw clenches, his fingers curling in frustration. He sighs. "There was no other way. You did what you could to keep me alive."

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Nik. This isn't right. You shouldn't be here," Rory shakes her head, wiping at her tears frantically.

"Rory, shh," Klaus whispers softly. "You did what you had to do."

"Roro," a familiar voice fills the cellar as Kai descends the staircase. He's more than unimpressed at the sight of Rory knelt in front of the barrier—again—but he shouldn't be surprised at this point. He nods in Klaus' direction. "Kennedy."

"Kai," Klaus greets petulantly, leaning back against the wall.

Kai turns to face Rory on the ground. "C'mon, we gotta go. Michael's asking for you,"

"Marcel," Rory corrects.

"Duh, I know," Kai rolls his eyes. He pats Rory on the shoulder. "C'mon, cry over your fucked up love life later. You know how Marshall gets when we're late."

"I..." Rory trails off, meeting Klaus' gaze.

Klaus nods. "Go, darling," he cocks his head towards the exit.

"Tick tock," Kai chimes.

Rory pushes herself into a standing position, gnawing on her bottom lip. "I love you," she says, placing her hand against the barrier. "I love you, okay? And I'm so sorry."

"I love you too," Klaus responds with a smile. "There's nothing to be sorry for."

Before Rory could respond, Kai tugs on her wrist to pull her up the stairs. Rory spares another glance backwards before Kai closes the door behind them, creating a barricade between Rory and Klaus.

"C'mon, munchkin," Kai slings an arm over Rory's shoulder as he rubs his knuckles over the top of Rory's head. "Let's blow this popsicle stand."

𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.8K 1.4K 23
The Vampire Diaries AU pretty much Finn Mikaelson x OC
408K 8.7K 34
❝𝗪𝗲 𝗕𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗴❞ ✧ ೃ༄ 𝖶𝗂𝗇𝖾 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝖾𝖽 𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗍𝗁 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝗅𝗈𝗈𝖽𝗌𝗁𝗈𝗍 𝖾𝗒𝖾𝗌 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗄 𝗐𝖾'𝗋𝖾 𝖻𝗈𝗍𝗁 𝖿𝗎𝖼𝗄𝖾𝖽 𝗎𝗉 𝖺𝗇𝖽...
45.4K 1.4K 44
The Vampire Diaries Season One to Season Four The Originals Season One to TBD Kol Mikaelson x OC