The Naturalistic

By tanisha_shinde

"So you think I have the power of the Earth Element?" I ask her. "We don't think. . . We believe." She smiles... More

GREETINGS!
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
EPILOGUE
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

CHAPTER 8

90 9 4
By tanisha_shinde

He let's go off me and starts to move towards my uncle's tent, taking his warmth back with him, but I don't move an inch. My feet go cold. Nobody has ever been so kind to me. What is he trying to tell me?

"I-I don't understand." I stutter as I jog towards him and my hand movement reminds me of my injured wrist, sending a sharp pain through me and I grunt.

"You don't need to." He says again taking my hand gently. "Let's go heal it before it gets worse, we can talk about it later, okay?"

"Okay." I nod along. I remember Sam telling me about his past, They whisper his past was not kind to him. Could it be the reason for his such behaviour? Why no one else talks or trains with him. He is always alone during his practice and training or at least whenever I see him, there is no one else with him. His past. It's not a good time and a good idea to ask him what's the story of his past? He won't tell me and I don't blame him. We barely know each other and the reason he is talking with me is that he's my trainer, not my. . . Friend. Or at least that's what I have heard. Work to work.

Now standing in front of my uncle's tent he, asks, "Victor, it's Rick and Evy, is it okay if we come in?"

He opens up the zipper of his tent and smiles when he sees us. "Yeah, how can I help you two?"

"While practising earlier today, Evy dislocated her wrist by mistake," Rick explains.

"Oh, dear!" My uncle exclaims. "Are you okay? Does it hurt much? Let me see."

"It was an accident, I'm okay," I say.

I bring forward my hand and he takes it carefully. Again, pain shoots inside me because of the movement.

"I fixed it back to its place, but it needs to be healed completely," Rick says.

"Thank my houses, if you would have kept it dislocated, it would have hurt you worse than this." I look towards Rick, silently thanking him with a smile, he offers me the same in response and looks back at my wrist which my uncle is examining.

"All right, it's not much, but as Rick said it has to be healed completely, so keep your hand as steady as possible." He says and I fight the urge to snap at him that my hand is not moving since past few minutes. He gestures me to sit on his bed and I do, but Rick goes and stands near the opening of the tent, folding his arms. My uncle's tent is not bad to stay in for a single person. It has a bed, which is enough for one person to sleep on, a table which is spoiled with all of his books and a closet.

He brings a lantern and places it on the table next to us to get a better view of my injury. Again taking my hand in his, he closes his eyes, but I keep mine open. Holding my wrist with one hand, he brushes his fingers of the other hand on top of it. I expect pain shooting up in me again or at least a little twitch, but rather I feel the pain easing in me, it's reducing. After a few minutes, he let go of my hand and smiles.

"Done." He says.

"Done?" I ask startled. If it would have been to heal without magic, that would at least take a couple of months and with it free pain.

"Yes done, your Majesty." He laughs. "There is a reason why we are called the Healers."

"Healers indeed." I smile back.

Again I try moving my wrist and expect it to hurt, but it moves freely without any pain.

"Further in our lessons, I'll teach you how to do it and to heal many more things."

"Exciting," I say. "Thank you for this and also sorry to disturb you."

"Oh come on, that's my job." He replies.

I get up and wish him night and leave his tent, Rick follows me outside. It's dark now, the stars spread in heaven look like tiny jewels adding in it's beauty. I gaze up to look at them.

"So your Majesty, huh?" He asks me, smirking.

I smile without taking off my eyes from the sky. "It's our little inside joke." And he joins me to gaze up.

"Evy?" It's Sam, she stumbles a bit while handling a pile of books in her hands.

"Hey, Sam." I greet her. "Oh my. . . Let me help you, what were you thinking?"

"Oh no, just a couple of books in case if it's a sleepless night."

"You call this couple of books?" I say glancing at the pile.

"Whatever, so how was your practise with . . ." She pauses shifting her gaze towards Rick.

"Well, It was amazing until-" Rick cuts me off.

"Until she broke her wrist." He completes.

"What!" Sam yells almost dropping her books on the ground.

"It was an accident and my wrist was dislocated not broken," I say turning to face Rick.

"Yeah sorry my bad, if that makes it better." He snaps.

"Blah," I say.

He glances towards my uncle's tent and says, "I forgot to give a message to Victor, I'll be back in a few minutes." And he walks backs towards it.

I turn back to Sam and seeing her expression makes me laugh. Her mouth is wide open just like her eyes are as if I ate her food without asking her permission.

"What?" I ask laughing.

"Did h-he just apologised?" She whispers.

"So . . .?" I ask now more confused. "He just said ' sorry ', what's a big deal in it?"

"That is exactly the big deal."

She thankfully understands my confusion, but I was not expecting this reason for her weird expression.

"He never apologises to anyone, whatever might be the reason." She says and after listening to it, I feel empty, it's like there is nothing inside me.

She continues, "And he said that so simply to you like he does that every day or you are someone special to him."

My heart skips a beat, I don't know what to feel. Does he really think about me like that? My head spins thinking about it. I glance back at the tent where Rick is talking with my uncle.

"That's okay, I mean people can change right?" I say not sure what else to reply.

"In a day?" She asks again.

"It's his problem, not mine, okay?" I snap, "It's better if we not talk about it and that seemed more like a taunt rather than an apology."

"All right, I have to get going now because my hands are giving up, see you tomorrow." I wave her goodbye as she leaves.

The thought still keeps coming back in my head, did someone choose Rick as my trainer? Or did he willingly choose it? and if yes, then why would he? As far as I know, anything about him, being with anyone would be the last thing he wants, especially me because all I give him is trouble. Maybe I'm overthinking a bit, someone might have chosen him and so he talks with me, that's all.

I bury my face in my palms. The cold night air around me makes me shiver. Someone places a warm hand on my shoulder and I drop my hands. Looking up I see those familiar deep eyes.

"Are you okay? Does it still hurts?" He asks so quietly, I almost couldn't catch it.

I sigh and give him a small nod, assuring him. But his hand stays firm on my shoulder.

"Evy." Again he says my name softly and it eases me.

"Hmm?"

"Thank you, after so many years I might have laughed or smiled and not in a fake way but this was from deep inside my heart. It seems like they were lost or forgotten somewhere inside me and you found them again, brought them back to life." He finishes and I go still.

"Also sorry about that wrist, I apologise for not giving you the right instructions, maybe I'm not a good teacher. I have informed Victor and he agreed on taking your training and I'll stick to my old schedule." He says and drops his hand.

Did he thank and apologised me at the same time? If Sam was here anymore, ten bucks say she would have fainted.

"To begin with it was not your fault, it's me who should be blamed, you never told me to lift my sword and I did it anyways like a dumb person, it was an accident, no one did it on purpose. Also, Victor is already taking my lessons, let's give him a break, he is going through a lot of me. Rick trust me, you are one of the best trainers I have known, although I only know Victor, you are as good as him, trust me."

"I don't think so. . . I can't do it, Evy." He shakes his head in denial.

"I know you can and I'm sure you'll do great, but just forgive me for my silliness, I go crazy sometimes."

"Sometimes?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Hey!" I snap.

He laughs and says, "I'm just messing with you."

"All right, I accept I go crazy all the time but see that smile looks good on you, you should smile more often."

Hearing it his smile fades away and his cheeks turn pink. He clears his throat and says, "There should be a reason to smile or else I'm just a stupid person."

"There are many reasons to smile."

"Okay then, give me one, I'll wait." He folds his hands.

"All right. . . You are alive, so many people around you were killed but you survived, you made it and because of which you are having this conversation with me right now, right here. Isn't this enough to smile for?" I ask him quietly.

His hand drops and he smiles again. "I give up. . . You win."

"Let's make a deal," I say.

"What kind of deal?"

"If you train me in war combat then I'll train you in. . . Smiling." I stretch my hand forward.

"What?" He laughs.

"Why? Are you afraid of smiling?" I raise my chin and ask him.

"Oh god, you really are crazy." He shakes his head.

"Thank you, I know." I dramatically place the other hand over my heart. "So . . . Deal?" I ask for the last time.

He stretches his hand forward, finally agreeing on it and says . . . "Deal."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224K 7.4K 23
Canthopia, it's a world where every single person has a power. The people acquire these powers only after they turn 19 and after. But sometimes, in s...
205K 11.7K 51
Yet again Darkness is hungry for a war to end it all, but Light will always have troops at the ready. One girl. One kingdom. Eleven friends. Four Ele...
2.5K 111 102
Six high school students looks like anyone else acts like anyone else but are capable of things no one else is. They learnt from a young age no one t...
8.8K 1.2K 48
A key to the locked element... An element that would break the curse... When goddess of 5 elements give rise to the queen of elements... An element...