Better as Friends ? (Steve Ha...

By linkispink1995

You and Steve had been broken up for five years now , you both mutually decided to remain friends for your so... More

(Not an update) character list
(1) simply routine
(2) daddy's boy
(3) Who's Alison
(4) Thanksgiving
(5) Awkward introductions
(6) Fueling the Fire
(7) Jealous ?
(8) A Mothers love
(9) Another chnace ?
(10) A final chance
(11) A Birthday
(12) Trying for forgiveness
(14) Home again
(15) Same old routine
(16) A Date???
(17) another awkward introduction
(18) worlds worst dinner party
(19) A baby shower
(20) the aftermath
(21) just another Saturday
(22) A shocking confession
(23) the facade crashes
(24) A bewaited kiss
(25) A new routine
Q&A
better together (1)
better together (2) puppy love
Better Together (3) Surprise
Better together (4) Halloween
Better Together (5) A day of emotions
Better Together (6) the move
Better Together (8) The calm before the storm

(13) Appendix

620 13 5
By linkispink1995

Y/n P.o.v

After Steve and I's two arguments and him leaving I noticed that Jackson was quiet and seemed to be looking for something I asked "are you okay" he mumbled "yeah" I responded saying "are you sure". He nodded saying "yeah I'm sure". I brushed it aside before finishing the dishes , after drying the last dish Jackson came in the room saying "mommy my tummy hurts" I nodded saying "did you have enough dinner" he nodded as I added "well how about we go sit and watch a movie" he nodded again before running to the livingroom. As I walked out of the kitchen and took a seat next to Jackson he snuggled into my side which was something he only did when he was really tired or didn't feel good so I asked. "Do you feel okay sweet pea" he shrugged and continued to sit there quietly but I brushed it aside thinking he must've had a long day with Steve since the two were supposed to go to the park.

It was the middle of the night when I was awaken by the feeling a someone shaking my arm , I turned to see Jackson standing by my bed. I yawned before saying "hey sweet pea , are you okay" he shook his head saying "my tummy still hurts". I nodded saying "do you think your gonna be sick" he shook his head again saying "no , can I sleep with you though" I nodded before pulling him into bed with me. A few hours later I noticed that Jackson continued to stir and that he held onto his stomach almost as if it were in pain , I instantly remembered my father going thru the same thing when I was in highschool. I rubbed Jackson arm saying "Jackson baby , where does it hurt" he then pointed to his appendix area and that's when I knew we needed to go to the hospital. I quickly hopped out of bed and grabbed some shoes not caring that I was still in my pajamas I then spoke saying "Jackson go put your shoes on , we need to go to the hospital" he frowned saying "am I gonna be okay" I signed not answering his question and instead said "Jackson just please put on some shoes".

Ten minutes later I was sitting in a hospital room with Jackson waiting for the doctor to come back with the test results while whipping the tears on Jackson's cheeks as he asked. "Am I gonna be okay" I nodded saying "of course your going to be okay, the Same thing happened to papa , your gonna stay here for a couple days and then I'm gonna stay home with you and we can watch movies all day okay". He nodded before the doctor came back to the room saying "well , it's his appendix I suggest surgery before it worsens" I nodded as she added "I'll be back in a few minutes". I nodded again saying "do you know where there's a phone" she nodded before gesturing towards one in the hallways before leaving. I kissed Jacksons forehead before saying "I'll be right back , I gotta call daddy , are you gonna be okay here". He nodded saying "I'm okay I'm a big boy mommy" I nodded before leaving to call Steve , after dialing the number to Steve's apartment he finally answered in a groggy tone "hello".  , I already knew he’d be in bed since it was the middle of the night. “Steve” I said causing he to say “Y/n do you know what time it is” I sighed knowing I had to get to the point , given the situation. “Steve you need to come to the hospital , Jackson’s having his appendix removed” after I didn’t get a response I added. “Steve , hello” I then heard “we’ll be there in five” I hung up the phone before going back to Jackson , as I realized that said we and we only could mean one thing I'd have to see Alison again.

A couple minutes later and Steve had entered the hospital room alone. He quickly rushed to Jackson , who was shaking saying “hey buddy , what’s going on” Jackson sighed saying “I have to have surgery”. Steve nodded saying “I know mommy told me , your gonna be okay though , cause when you get out we’re gonna just eat junk food and watch a bunch a movies , okay” Jackson nodded as Steve added “plus your gonna have an awesome scar that'll gonna drive all the girls crazy” Jackson chuckled before asking “do you have any scars daddy” Steve nodded pointed to his upper lip saying “Aunt Robin and I used to work at a mall , and I slipped and fell and ended up with this” he then added “and this” he said pointing to his index finger “ I got from trying to open a beer with a , nevermind" Jackson nodded again saying “does mommy have any”. Before I could answer Steve did saying “one the side of her left foot” I was almost in shock he remembered as Jackson asked “how’d she get it” Steve responded saying “mommy and I were at the lake and she got a seashell caught in her foot” Jackson gasped saying “did she cry” Steve chuckled saying “like a little girl”. I swatted his arm as he continued saying “and then I pulled it out and I had to carry mommy up to the house and we-“ he then cut himself off realizing how this story ends.

After Jackson getting a kiss from both me and Steve , he went into surgery. As Steve and I began to walking back to the waiting room I broke the silence saying. “I can’t believe you remembered” he shrugged as I added “the seashell in my foot at the lake”. He nodded saying “how could I forget , I still have the shell you know” I chuckled at the distant memory before entering the waiting room to see Alison sitting in one of the chairs. She quickly got up to hug Steve“how was he” she asked , Steve nodded saying “he just went in , it’ll be a while” she nodded saying “okay , how are you holding up” Steve again nodded saying “okay , I think”. The two then began walking towards one of the couches in the waiting room , Leaving me in there dust. After a couple of sitting in the waiting room , and all I could hear were Steve and Alisons giggles , stolen kisses and all I could see was how snuggly the two were and how Alison was basically sitting in Steve’s lap. After a few more minutes I decided to leave the love fest and go for a walk , causing Steve to sit up saying. “Where are you going” he asked , I just shrugged saying “a walk” he nodded saying “do you want me to come with”. I shook my head saying “no I’m okay” he sighed saying “Y/n I’m anxious too , but why don’t you sit with us” I shook my head saying “no , I just need to be alone” he continued saying “Y/n you need to sit when was the last time you ate” I sighed saying “it doesn’t matter I’m going for my walk”. Steve back in his chair giving up while I started my walk.

After a few minutes of walking I went back to the waiting room , to find Steve and no Alison. “Where’s Alison” I asked , he sighed saying “she went to get something to eat , which is what you should be doing”. I rolled my eyes saying “whatever” I then gestured to the seat next to him saying “can I sit” he nodded silently. After taking my seat Steve and I sat in silence and all I could do is wait before hearing Steve say “he’ll be okay , he’s a strong kid” I nodded whipping the tears off my cheek as he added “he gets it from you Y/n”. I shook my head saying “no , probably you Steve” he sighed saying “well wherever he gets it from he’s lucky to have you”. I nodded before asking “do you remember last time we were here” he nodded saying “yeah you almost broke my damn hand” I sighed saying “you try pushing a baby out , and having a smile on your face”. I then saw Steve frown at my comment before saying “I’m sorry” I shrugged as he added “that I left that day , it was selfish” I then added “okay how about the first tome we came here”. He chuckled saying “yeah , third grade when I broke my arm after falling in Ms. Andrews class , cause someone put a rubber spider in my backpack ”. I rolled my eyes saying “well you put yellow paint in my shoes" he chuckled at the distant memory before I added " I mean when we were together , I meant when we came for the first time while I was pregnant with him”. He nodded saying “how could I forget the first time I saw him” I responded saying "same way I could forget you when you cried after falling in Mrs. Andrews class you cried and made me promise that I'd never tell Tommy about it". Steve chuckled saying "you didn't though right" I shook my head saying "no I didn't" Steve sighed before saying "do you know why I used to pick on you when we were kids" I shook my head as he added "cause I always liked you , and I -" his cut himself off before I turned around to see Alison standing behind me I then saw a sight from her I thought I'd never see , Alison had tears in her eyes , she was crying. Steve quickly got out of his seat as Alison walked away and Steve being Steve ran after her , and that wasn't something he ever did for me. That's when I realized he had chosen Alison and that it was finally time for me to accept it no matter how painful it was going to be.

Flashback
"Ugh why do I have to go" Steve said practically slamming his head onto the back of his seat almost like a small child who was throwing a tantrum. I sighed saying "because you promised and I've let you bail twice and I'm not going alone". He rolled his eyes saying "but Tommy and the guys wanted to-" he then sensed my annoyance with him before saying "I mean yay we get to see out little peanut" he then placed a kiss on my heavily swollen bump to sell his performance of someone who was interested in going to this appointment with me.

A few minutes of sitting in the waiting room Steve leaned over and whispered into my ear "how long is this gonna take". I sighed saying "I don't know it just depends on how many people are ahead of me I guess" he nodded as I added. "Hey I was thinking maybe that we could get Benny's after this" Steve shrugged saying "we just ate lunch and hour ago" I sighed saying "I know but I'm hungry again and I'd really like a vanilla milkshake". He sighed saying "is it really a good to fill up on all that junk food" I rolled my eyes saying "I'm pregnant Steve what do you want me to do". Before Steve could answer the receptionist spoke saying "Y/n Yl/n" I then tried getting up from my chair before Steve assisted me since it was now an extreme inconvenience for me to stand up. A few minutes later I was sitting on the examination table why Steve was leaning against the wall chewing a peice of gum. A few more minutes later there was a set of knocks on the door , the door then opened revealing Dr. Ryan walked in while intensely looking thru the paper in her hand before saying. "Good afternoon Y/n , Mrs. Yl/n , how are we feeling today" before I could respond she looked up from her papers saying "I'm sorry I didn't realize we brought someone else" she then gestured to shake Steve's hand but he shrugged before she spoke again saying "refresh my memory Y/n how far along are you". I responded saying "uh I'll be six months on the third" she nodded saying "are you sure you seem a little bigger than you were last time" Steve chuckled saying "I tell her to cut back on the junk food but she gets all moody and-". He then cut himself off again realizing that neither Dr. Ryan or I were amused by his words he then held my hand before placing a kiss onto the back of it. Dr. Ryan spoke again saying "could you lift up your shirt a bit and sit back a little". I nodded before exposing my bump to the coldness of the room before she added "this" she said gesturing towards the gel in her hand "is a little cold but you already know that" I again nodded before Dr. Ryan placed the gel onto my stomach before moving it around with the doppler. She than began to point things out like the baby's head and there feet even there little nose which I swore looked almost identical to Steve's the sound of the baby's heartbeat then flooded the room before Steve spoke saying "can you tell what it is". Dr. Ryan nodded saying "I mean I could probably give a good guess but it might not be a hundred percent , would you like to know" I shook my head saying. "No thank you" Steve's face fell in shock before saying "what do you mean no" I sighed saying "I mean no I don't want to know". He rolled his eyes before Dr. Ryan spoke saying "I'll let you clean yourself up and you two can meet me in my office" I shrugged aside her words before she left. As I began to wipe some of the access gel off my stomach Steve spoke again saying "I just cannot believe you , you know what I actually can god you are so selfish". I rolled my eyes and readjusted my shirt before he added "you know what this is my child too and-" I had finally had enough of Steve and his nonsense as I interrupted with. "Oh yes Steve I'm the selfish one , you didn't even want to be here you wanted to go get drunk at the quarry with Tommy and Mark , so you know what if I'm standing in your way just go and get out of here , my appointments almost over and I'll get a ride home". He didn't say anything he just stood there silently before placing a kiss onto my cheek and walking out the door , and that's when I felt it again that pain in the bottom of my heart , the feeling of a peice of my heart breaking all over again.

It was that evening when I decided to be the bigger person and call Steve since after Robin dropped me off cause she was the one I called after my appointment and the minor argument with Steve. The moment I got home all I could think about was the look on Steve's face and how wounded he looked and honesty I was starting to become curious about what the baby was. Not that I had a particular preference since I knew all that I wanted was a healthy baby but I knew that since the beginning of my pregnancy Steve had been claiming that it was a boy who would grow to to be just like him. That thought was one that terrified me and kept me awake at night. As I waited for an answer on the phone I began to rehearse what I was going to say but I was then interrupted by a voice say "hello this is the Harrington's this is Jenifer speaking". I responded saying "hi Mrs. Harrington it's Y/n is Steve there" she responded saying "oh I'm afraid not dear , Steven just stepped out is everything okay". I nodded saying "yeah everything's fine , just could you tell him to give me a call". She responded saying "of course dear and you get your rest" I nodded before continuing to have the most awkward small talk with her. After getting off the phone with Mrs. Harrington I placed the phone back onto the receiver before feeling the inevitable tears begin to build up and like most nights it ended in silent tears and heartbreak.

Flashback over

I had been sitting in the waiting room for an hour and there was still nothing's from the doctor's and no Alison and Steve. I just sat there staring at the wall , I couldn't keep a single thought in my head other than the image of Alison face out of my mind. All I could think about was how I knew exactly what she had witnessed and even though she was terrible and she threatened me but she still was a human being and didn't deserve for that to happen. A few moments of looking into emptiness I finally heard a voice "Jackson Harrington" I looked up to see one of the nurses before she added "he's out of surgery" I nodded before looking around to still see no Steve , so I followed the nurse down the hall. As I began walking down the hallway as she added "he did very well , he's still asleep but he should be wake up soon is there any other visitors or are you here alone dear". I sighed saying "his dad's around here somewhere , I think" she nodded saying "how are you two doing" I furrowed my eyebrows at her words as she added "I'm Doris , I was the nurse who was there when you were discharged from the hospital". I then remembered saying "oh wow I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you , and um yeah I'm good , and uh Jackson's five now ". She nodded saying "I know , he doesn't look like that little baby who came three weeks early anymore" I nodded as she added "and how's Steve". I frowned at the words thinking of earlier saying "he's um good , we uh aren't together anymore though" she frowned saying "I'm sorry dear" she then added "here we are room 251". I then stood in the doorway as she left before taking in the sight of my little boy peacefully sleeping in a hospital bed before quietly waling in the room and taking a seat in the chair placed by the bed.

I sat there for who knows how long before feeling a hand on my shoulder causing me to look up to see Steve standing there. I went to get out of the chair so he could sit since he looked like he needed to causing him to say "no Y/n sit I'm fine". I nodded as the guilt continued to peck at me before Steve broke the silence saying "she's okay , Alison is and um I think I need to clear up what I was saying earlier about how I liked you and I was going to say how I was a stupid kid and now that I've grown up I realized we never worked , we will never work and I am uh gonna start working for my dad in a couple weeks so your gonna need to find someone else to watch him". My jaw fell at his words saying "but you hate your dad" he sighed saying "well it's a job and Alison said-" I cut him off saying "I don't want to talk about this my son just had major surgery and were-" Steve cut me off this time saying. "Are son , I hate when you do that I'm his dad and weather you like that or not I am weather you want to believe it at one point you loved me , and Alison is the best thing to ever happen to me and you just cannot grow up and accept it". I began to feel tears form in my eyes before hearing a voice say "mommy" I turned to see that Jackson had woken up and I wondered how long he was up , I responded saying "hi baby , how are you feeling". He shrugged saying "were you crying mommy" I shook my head saying "no I just had dust in my eyes" he nodded before I said "do you think you wanna try eating something". He shrugged before I whipped some of the fallen tears before I looked up at Steve saying "can I see you in the hallway please" he quietly nodded before we walked out of the room. When Steve and I entered the hallway I finally decided to tell Steve I had enough of his new attitude and that him ridiculing me in front of our sleeping son. As we stood in the hallway , Steve leaning against one door and I across from him when I finally broke the silence by saying "Steve , I honestly don't know how to say this but-" he cut me off saying "oh god , what did I do now". I rolled my eyes saying "that's it , I want you to leave" his face fell as I added "you just belittled me , and I just don't know how you could let her do this to you". He sighed saying "who" causing me to say "Alison , I can't believe you let her-" Steve cut me off saying "god you are so jealous , it is almost so sad that you can't let me have this one thing , the one thing that's made me happy , she is the best thing that's ever happened-". I already knew he was repeating himself from earlier so I cut him off in anger saying "no Steve , that little boy is the best thing that's ever happened not some rich and entitled princess who has fooled you into doing whatever she says , you cannot seriously believe her but you can you would choose her over Jackson in a heartbeat wouldn't you". Steve huffed saying "oh an you wouldn't choose um I don't know Matt" I sighed saying "Matt and I are just friends , why can't you just accept that". He chuckled saying "yeah like how you and I were friends" I shook my head saying "that was completely different I loved you" Steve shook his head before saying "well I didn't , see this is just like the stupid doctor's appointment all over again everything is fine and then we have one little disagreement and you blow up at ne and throw me out". I felt the pain all over again , the tears pricking in my eyes and the feeling of my heart being pulled from within me as I said. "I want you to leave , I'll call you when we get home tomorrow but I can't look at you now and if you find the old Steve let me know cause I'm not even sure if I want this one around my son" . I then returned to the room to see that Jackson had fallen back asleep , I took a seat in the chair besides the bed before closing my eyes trying to not think about the tears falling down my cheeks as I tried to get a few moments of sleep and not think about what had happened.

Steve's P.o.v
It was when Y/n went back into the room when I realized what I had done I stood there for a moment before deciding to apologize but when I walked back into the room to follow her I saw that both Y/n and Jackson were asleep. I then began walking back to the waiting room to see Alison who stood up after acknowledging my presence saying "hey are you ready to go" I shook my head saying "no I think I'm gonna wait out here for a little bit , I gotta talk to Y/n about something". Alison sighed saying "well why don't you talk to her now" I shook my head again saying "she's asleep" Alison huffed saying. "Are you serious" I sighed saying "yeah I am , she's had a long day" she rolled her eyes saying "yeah I bet". I sighed again saying "Alison just try to understand what she's going thru" she rolled her eyes again saying "oh please , god why do you even care , I'm your girlfriend " I huffed saying "Alison , I don't want to talk about this". She frowned saying "I love you" I nodded saying " I uh yeah , but I still just wanna stay for just a little bit". She sighed saying "well what am I supposed to do" I shrugged saying "well you can stay with me" she sighed saying "fine I'll stay". I nodded before she added "but when she wakes up and you two have your little chat , were going home" I nodded knowing it was best for us to not to argue about this right now.

An hour had passed and I had decided to get up and see Jackson and maybe try to talk to Y/n , when I got up it caught Alison's attention since she said. "Were are you going" I knew I couldn't tell her that where I was going but I also knew it wasn't smart to lie to her , but I just had to. "I'm uh going to the bathroom" she nodded before I left the waiting room , as I began walking to the room that I knew Jackson was occupying. I immediately recognized the sound of Y/n and Jackson's voices but there was another one which quickly caught me off guard , I silently peeked into the room to see Matt with his arms around Y/n as I went to turn around to leave without having to be caught and having awkward conversation with Matt while Y/n was mad at me I heard a voice say "Steve". I turned to see Alison in standing behind me with a not very pleasant expression on her face , I then realized the interaction had caught Y/n and Matt's attention. I then walked backed into the room before silently waving to Matt , who returned the gesture by doing the same before Alison said "I'm going to sit in the waiting room" she then pecked my cheek before whispering "and we'll talk about this in the car". After Alison left I quietly entered the room before walking over to Jackson and ruffled the top of his hair saying "how you feeling buddy". Jackson shrugged saying "okay I guess" I nodded saying "well uh , daddy's gonna go but I'll see you tomorrow okay". He nodded before I looked at Y/n saying "is that okay" she nodded before saying "yeah but we'll need to talk" I nodded before kissing Jackson's forehead saying "I'll see you tomorrow buddy". As I left the room and began to make my way to the car I was stopped by hearing an unfamiliar voice say "Steve" I turned around to see a nurse who I somewhat recognized but wasn't sure where. She walked over to me before saying "your Jackson's father , right" I nodded as she added "I'm Doris I was the nurse who took him for his test before he went home" I quickly remembered before saying. "Oh I'm so sorry" she shook her head saying "oh don't worry dear" before I could continue to have this pleasant conversation with Doris but instead I was interrupted by a voice saying "let's go Steven". I turned to see Alison with her hands still on her hip and the unhappy expression I sighed before saying "I'm sorry but it I um have to go , it was nice to see you again though" she silently nodded before I walked down with Alison to the car. As we got to the car Alison began to try snuggled onto my arm which I shrugged away causing her to ask "are you mad at me". I really wanted didn't know how to answer that I mean Alison was ride to not only Y/n , Jackson and I she was rude to some innocent old lady. I mean maybe she was tired since we'd been here since three this morning but I thought she'd understand , I also told her that she didn't have to go and that she could just come visit later but she insisted , I sighed saying "no I'm not , I'm just a little tired" I said before wrapping an arm around her causing her to shrug away saying "so cause you tired you can reject affection from your beautiful girlfriend , what is with you today your fine minute and the next I find you and Y/n giggling like a couple of school girls and then you won't tell me that you love me". I signed before saying "Alison I'm tired can we talk about this later please" she rolled her eyes again before we entered the car. As we began driving home I couldn't help but think about Alison was saying , I mean I knew she loved me but I didn't know if I loved her I mean I knew with Y/n I knew exactly when I realized I was in love with her but with Alison I still had this feeling that something wasn't right like I wasn't seeing the full picture. I mean Y/n wasn't right about Alison was she , she couldn't be but something seemed off , and then it dawned on me why I couldn't say it , I think I still have feelings for Y/n.

Y/n's p.o.v

After the nurse left the room Matt spoke again saying "Y/n we gotta finish talking about earlier" I nodded since earlier Matt and I were talking about the trip when the nurse came by to check on Jackson again. Matt then added "I talked to Colleen about New York and she um can't go". I was a but surprised since when I called Matt after the party and told him I was seriously considering going before he said anything else I asked "is everything okay with you two". He nodded saying "yeah everything is fine um well Colleen and I are going to have a baby" my face fell in surprise as he added "believe me were just as surprised as you are , but were excited um she's due beginning of August I think so it's kinda around my moms birthday". I nodded before pulling him into a hug but before I could congratulate him and ask him the other dozen questions I had I heard the most annoying and agitating say "Steve". Matt and I turned to see Steve and Alison standing in the doorway , Steve silently enterd the room before silently waving to Matt as Alison spoke saying "I'm going to sit in the waiting room" she then whispered something to Steve that I couldn't quite make out but I could tell by the expression on Steve's face that it wasn't good. Steve then walked over to Jackson before ruffled the top of his hair saying "how you feeling buddy". Jackson shrugged saying "okay I guess" Steve nodded saying "well uh , daddy's gonna go but I'll see you tomorrow okay". He nodded before Steve looked at me saying "is that okay" I nodded before saying "yeah but we'll need to talk" he nodded before kissing Jackson's forehead saying "I'll see you tomorrow buddy".

After Steve left and Jackson had somewhat eaten something I moved to the spot on the bed next to him as he slept peacefully before speaking to Matt again saying. "Do you think I'm doing the right thing" he nodded before I added "I mean I keep giving him opportunity after opportunity but do you think I'm just letting him get away with everything". He shook his head saying "Y/n everyone deserves a second chance and so maybe Steve's on his 100th chance and as much as it sucks to see Steve with her you gotta remember that's Jackson's dad , he's the same guy he's just going through some weird stuff". I nodded as he added "and he was right what he said at the birthday party about him being Jackson's dad and-" I cut Matt off saying "Matt he was just in a shitty mood that day , he had no right to speak to you like that" he responded saying "Y/n it's steve he's always in a shitty mood and do you wanna know why" I nodded as he added "because I think he's starting to realize that it will never be the same again". I nodded before deciding to change the subject by asking "how far along is Colleen" he answered saying "a little over three months , we were kinda quiet about it just in case you know" I nodded before saying "if you guys need anything I've got plenty left over from Jackson and I think I don't need to save any of it". Matt then asked "hey I have this friend at work he's a real nice guy-" I cut Matt off again saying "Matt I think I'm just gonna be single" he nodded again before saying "and that's fine to , I loved be single it's oh what the hell I don't remember being single" I chuckled knowing in all of this mess with Alison and Steve I was greatful to have a friend like Matt.

Thanks for 300+ reads , feedback is appreciated

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

372 12 28
"-Emily, we've been friends for 12 years and you still say I don't know you?- he said. -David, I don't even know myself." ----------------- Hello! If...
478K 28K 38
"Don't leave, Annie. We can figure this out." I'm begging and just when I think she's going to give in, she turns and starts to walk away. I can feel...
5.7K 116 39
You just moved out of your parents house and you asked your brother if you can live with him,you then meet 2 other boys,and have a new crush? [Discon...
1.2K 33 28
Sometimes heroes lose. Sometimes people die. But it's courage, drive, and hope that is required to push those who remain on. And sometimes a rat. Th...