Operation: Stay Alive

By alyssa4everr

Nicole Evers' parents unexpectedly leave for a "business trip" leaving Nicole all alone, but her parents deci... More

Welcome
♦ Chapter 1 || Their 'Business' Trip ♦
♦ Chapter 2 || I'm So Sorry ♦
♦️ Chapter 3 || Who doesn't like Cake♦️
♦️ Chapter 4 || I Hate Mondays ♦️
♦️ Chapter 5 || Snow Day ♦️
♦️ Chapter 6 || Drunk Jake ♦️
♦️ Chapter 7 || Teddy is Mine ♦️
♦️ Chapter 8 || It's a small party ♦️
♦️ Chapter 9 || Die Trying ♦️
♦️ Chapter 10 || Now We're Even ♦️
♦️ Chapter 11 || Stay ♦️
♦️ Chapter 12 || Because I Stumbled Into You ♦️
♦️ Chapter 13 || Don't Swear ♦️
♦️ Chapter 14 || The Bucket ♦️
♦️ Chapter 15 || You wouldn't even hurt a fly ♦️
♦️ Chapter 16 || I couldn't even dress a barbie doll ♦️
♦️ Chapter 17 || You're such a child ♦️
♦️ Chapter 18 || Thank You ♦️
♦️ Chapter 19 || The Car Won't bite. But if you don't get in soon, I might ♦️
♦️ Chapter 20 || Don't tell me the price. I might not want to buy it then ♦️
♦️ Chapter 21 || Beginners Luck ♦️
♦️ Chapter 22 || Merry Christmas ♦️
♦️ Chapter 23 || Cornered ♦️
♦️ Chapter 24 || It's My Fault ♦️
♦️ Chapter 25 || Best Day Ever ♦️
♦️ Chapter 26 || Despacito ♦️
♦️ Chapter 27 || It Was You♦️
♦️ Chapter 28 || Movie Night ♦️
♦️ Chapter 29 || But It's Winter♦️
♦️Chapter 30 || Secrets ♦️
♦️ Chapter 31 || I Half Lied ♦️
♦️ Chapter 32 || Do You Have Any Queens ♦️
♦️ Chapter 33 || Go get 'em big boy ♦️
♦️ Chapter 34 || It's Never Too Cold For Ice Cream ♦️
♦️ Chapter 35 || That's My Girl ♦️
♦️ Chapter 36 || You Were Made to be Mine ♦️
♦️ Chapter 37 || Listen ♦️
♦️ Chapter 38 || No Peeking ♦️
♦️ Chapter 39 || Wait Whatttttt? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 40 || Let's Do It♦️
♦️ Chapter 41 || Ready ♦️
♦️ Chapter 42 || Whipped ♦️
♦️ Chapter 44 || TLC ♦️
♦️ Chapter 45 || So This is What My Life Has Become? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 46 || Act Casual ♦️
♦️ Chapter 47 || Who? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 48 || Why? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 49 || What Are You Going to Do? ♦️
♦️ Chapter 50 || Die Trying ♦️
♦️ Chapter 51 || Home ♦️
♦️ Chapter 52 || Stronger ♦️
Thank You

♦️ Chapter 43 || Promise ♦️

9K 293 202
By alyssa4everr

Chapter 43 || Promise
🔹🔹🔹🔹
* * Nicole's POV * *

"H-Hi Mom"

She was standing in the doorway with a suit on and dark sunglasses while scrolling through her phone... she clearly didn't hear me.

What was she doing here?

I haven't spoken to her in months! She hasn't answered any of my calls or texts... and now here she is standing in the door.

"Mom?" I question.

She looks up from her phone and looks around like she forgot where she was. Then she lays eyes on me and lowers her sunglasses to get a look at me.

"Oh. Hello Nicole," She says monotoned before looking back at her phone.

I turn around to look at Jake who was leaning against the counter and looking at me with confusion.

"Do you want to come in?" I ask politely.

"Oh no. That's okay. I just stopped by to tell you I'll be back later tonight to pick you up to bring you..." she gulped "home."

"Ooookay," I say, "I'll be ready then."

"Will Jill be home tonight?" She asks looking up from her phone again.

"She'll be home around 5 tonight," Jake says harshly as he stands next to me.

"Alright, I'll be back then," She says and with a flip of her straight black hair, she turns away and walks to her car.

"Byeee," I saw weirdly and shut the door.

"That was weird..." I turn to Jake, "Was it something I said?"

Jake sighs and shakes his head, "No you did nothing wrong."

"Oh," I say trying to think of what made her so aggravated.

"Hey want to head to the gym? I think Doug is having a class soon. You can go and get some of that anger out. How does that sound?"

"I'm not angry" I protest.

He gives me a look as to say really?

"What... I'm not."

"It's all over your face. There is nothing wrong with being angry. Your mom literally came back from a business trip, hasn't seen you in months and didn't even give you a hug!" He says angrily throwing his hands in the air.

"I think you need to hit something right now more than me," I laugh.

"Yeah, I think so too."

I sigh, "She didn't even hug me."

Jake immediately wraps his arms around me and says warmly, "Who needs her hugs when you have mine!"

I laugh into his chest in agreement.

"I have the best hugs in the world! So that's all that matters!" Jake chirps trying to make me feel better.

"Now let's go let some anger out!" Jake cheers as he lets go of me and we race to our rooms to change.

After changing our clothes and grabbing my boxing bag we were on our way to the gym.

We spent the morning punching all of our anger out on the heavy bags mixed in with some cardio and sparring with Doug.

"Feeling better?" Jake laughs as he notices me punching the heavy bag to no end.

"Why-" punch "Couldn't-" punch "she-" punch "call-" punch "me-" punch "back!"

I groan after throwing the last punch and turn to face Jake with frustration.

Jake gives me a sad smile as he pats my head. He was about to say something when Doug shouts, "Hey Nicole! Want to do another round?"

"Yes please!" I cheer and run into the ring.

*Jake's POV*

I watch Nicole run into the ring. Her mind was all over the place. She was blaming herself for things that weren't her fault.

Her mom is just an all-around b*tch who I've hated since the first time I met her.

At first, I just thought she was a closed-off kind of mother who is low profile but no she full-on raging b*tch that flat out neglects Nicole!

I punched the heavy bag harder.

How could that woman treat Nicole that way?

She is a little angel, and that woman tries to shatter every piece of light in her by breaking her and hiding her in the dark.

I sigh as I go grab some water. I take a small sip before squirting it on my face to cool me down. I put the bottle down and shake my head letting the water fall from my hair and face.

I groan in frustration. It makes so much sense now. Her mom never let her do anything... that's why she is the way she is. She never went out... She was never allowed to do anything.

She was always so scared when I first met her because her mom made her believe she was nothing... and Nicole can't even see how awful her mom is to her.

I laugh and shake my head, she always sees the best in everyone.

She has grown so much since I first met her, i couldn't be prouder.

I've helped her and in return, she's helped me.

I smile as I watch Nicole fight, sending a hard right into Doug's gut.

That's my girl.

*Nicole's POV*

We arrive back home from a much-needed workout. I can 100% say I feel a zillion times better.

Honestly, my mom was probably just sick of traveling. That's why she was so standoff-ish.

Yeah, that's it.

I jog into my room and hop into the shower.

I'm going to miss it here. This house has really grown on me.

Ugh, I don't want to leave.

I groan, just as my life was going so well too.

I wash my hair before jumping out of the shower.

I wrap a towel around me and walk into my room.

I go through my draws and pull out a pair of jeans and a yellow tee shirt.

I change into my clothes and throw my hair in a messy bun before walking into the clothes for my suitcase and sigh as I lug it onto the bed.

I slowly unzip the suitcase, procrastinating as much as I can.

Once it was fully opened, I forced myself into the closet and grabbed a hand full of clothes.

I threw them into the bed carelessly and began taking each of them off their hangers and folding them neatly.

Suddenly there was a slight knock coming from my door.

I look over to find Jake leaning in the doorway, his head propped up by his arm, "Need some help?" He asks softly.

I nod and he walks in.

"I was just starting to put clothes in my suitcase."

He nods silently as he walks over to my drawers and begins pulling out some tee shirts.

We both sit silently on the bed while folding clothes and putting them into my suitcases.

We knew this day was coming... I just didn't expect it so suddenly. I thought I would at least have a few days warning.

Mental preparation would have been nice.

Jake grabs some more clothes and I continue to fold them, stashing them in my suitcase once they are folded.

"Ooo ho ho. What do we have here?" Jake coos as he seems to have found something in one of my drawers.

When Jake turns around all color immediately drains from my face.

He was holding the lingerie that Alice has bought me way back when we all went to Maine.

He holds the lingerie out in his hands making it dance in the air.

"Jake, put that away," I say sternly

He pouts as he throws it at me.

"Want to put it on?" He asks playfully.

"No thank you," I roll my eyes with a fake laugh as I roll it into a ball and shove It into the abyss that is my suitcase.

He shrugs we a laugh, "Worth a shot right."

I nod my head absentmindedly as I continued packing.

My heart was breaking more and more with each item I packed.

I don't know why I was so upset to go home... Maybe it was because this place felt more like a home to me than my actual home.

Weird, I know, but it's true. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm safer here... it's just that home feeling... ya know?

We packed for what seemed like hours. Nearly everything was in a suitcase, the only things that weren't packed were the things I was still using

"I don't want to leave," I say while looking at him, breaking the sad silence between us.

He looks back at me, "I don't want you to leave either."

I gently rest my head on his shoulder and he pats my head when out of the blue Jake's stomach makes a loud lion sized roar.

I pop my head up and make a funny expression on my face, "Hungry?"

"No sorry. I just have a hungry lion living inside of me. He's mad that he can't come out now, but I told him he can come out later when your mom comes back."

We laugh and I give him a soft nudge.

"She still is my mom," I sigh.

"I know. It's just - She should treat you better. "

I shrug, "She treats me well," I say not knowing if I was trying to convince Jake or myself.

Jake rubs his eyes with his hands, "Just promise me that when you go back home you won't let her or anyone walk over you. Okay?"

Why was he so worried about me?

I smile reassuringly, "I promise."

He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into a giant bear hug as his stomach roars again.

"Okay let's get you some food before that lion eats me," I laugh as I hop off the bed.

"Yeah that'd probably be a smart idea," He adds.

We both scoot into the kitchen, open the refrigerator door and just stare at it blankly.

"Well... What are you hungry for?" I question as I look at all the different options but nothing really speaks eat me.

Jake nods as he thinks, "Why don't I just grab a small snack now and we can make a cook a huge dinner for my mom and your mom tonight."

"I like that idea!"

He flashes his thousand-watt smile at me, I smile back at first but then look at the ground and frown.

"What's wrong? I thought you liked that idea?" He asks softly while gently placing his hand under my chin and gently lifting my head up so that I would look at him.

"I do. It's just that- It's my last day here. I-I don't want to leave."

He gently places a kiss on my forehead before hugging me, "I don't want you to leave either, but- what does Peter Pan say? Think happy thought?"

I laugh into his chest.

"I'll still see you every day. Don't worry your pretty little head off."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I smile at him before kissing his cheek.

We both turn around and continue staring at the open refrigerator. There were plenty of food options just nothing was saying eat me.

"Want to make some chicken parm?" Jake questions opening the freezer, "We have way more chicken than we need."

"OOOO and can we also make mashed potatoes and biscuits!"

"Is that even a question! Of course! Mashed potatoes are life!"

I sit on the counter and laugh as Jake pulls out everything we need.

"So how do we make chicken parm?" I question as I unwrap the little chicken cutlets.

"First these little guys need to defrost, but while they defrost we can mix the bread crumbs and start on the potatoes."

"You know what? Potatoes are such a weird and funny word. Like I could say it randomly and sound like a complete loon."

Jake stops what he's doing and stares at me blankly.

"POTATOES!" I shout with a laugh.

"Yup... definitely a complete loon."

"Hey!" I laugh as I give him a little nudge.

Jake unlocks his phone, starts playing a random playlist he found on Spotify with today's top hits and we start cooking.

Jake prepared everything and I just did what he told me to do because I can't cook for the life of me. Remember... I BURNED A WAFFLE!!! A WAFFLE!! Like it was charcoaled and as hard as a hockey puck!

We sang to the music being played as we peeled the potatoes and soon enough the chicken was defrosted.

We finished coating the chicken with bread crumbs and as Jake went to put them in the pan of oil I decided to set the table.

When I finished we topped the chicken off with some sauce and tons of cheese and stuck it in the oven to cook.

"Hey, kids! What smells so good?" Jill asks happily as she entered the house.

"It's a surprise," Jake coos as he shoves the biscuits in the oven.

"Mmmh can't wait," She says as she makes her way over to me and I give her a sad smile, "I take it you heard the news?"

I nod silently.

"I'm so sorry this was all sprung on you all of a sudden, but know you are welcome back whenever you like. I will keep the guest room open," She says warmly as she gives me a hug.

"Thank you Jill," I hug her back, "You've been so good to me. Thank you for letting me stay here, I wish I didn't have to leave. I love it here."

She pats my head, "You love it here or You love my son?"

My eyes practically bug out of their sockets and I chock on air.

"I'm teasing Nicole," She laughs with a smile.

"She loves me," Jake says pretending to flip his hair.

"You wish," I laugh.

But he was right.

Jill shakes her head with a smile, "I'm going to get out of these clothes. Your mother should be here in twenty to thirty minutes."

I nod as I grab some cups from the counter and begin placing them on the table.

"I can't wait to eat I'm starving," Jill shrieks as she skips down the hall and into her room.

After 5 minutes I take the biscuits out of the oven and then we both sit on the couch patiently waiting until the chicken is done.

Jake is lying on the inside of the couch with his arm around holding me, making sure I wouldn't fall off the couch. I just rested my head against his chest not wanting to leave, just letting the time go by.

"Not gonna lie. It's going to be really weird being back home." I say.

He nuzzles his face into my hair, "It's gonna be weird not having you are here. Who am I supposed to bug when you're gone?"

"You can always bug me through the phone. I give you full bugging permission."

"I think I'd rather sneak out and bug you in person, but phone works too."

I can feel my cheeks heat up as he breathes against my neck.

I don't know how long had passed but soon enough the oven timer went off letting us know that the chicken was ready.

We both groan and he holds me tighter.

"We gotta check the chicken."

"No stay"

"As much as I want to, I don't want to eat burnt chicken for dinner."

He laughs while letting me go.

We both get up and check the food, which was done.

Perfect timing! My mom would be here any minute now.

We place all the food on the table and call Jill into the kitchen.

"Oh my goodness! This looks, delicious guys!" Jill gasps as she sees the food.

I smile happily as she smells the air.

"It smells so good. I hope your mom gets here soon. I don't know how much longer I can wait." Jill says holding her stomach.

We all laugh an take our seats at the table and wait for my mom.

The minutes pass and my mom still wasn't here.

"Has she talked to you recently?" Jill asks.

I sighed, "No. I was going to ask you if you heard from her."

Jill gives me a sorrowful look before saying, "We will give her another 5 minutes and if she still isn't here we will start eating so it doesn't get cold."

Jake groans as he takes a biscuit from the bowl, "You can wait but I'm not."

"Jake. Put down the biscuit," Jill says sternly.

"But I'm hungry!" He whines.

"No buts-"

Jake groans, "She better get here fast or I'm not leaving her any leftovers."

I played with my fingers while anxiously waiting for my mom's arrival.

Why was I so nervous?

I hope she will like the food.

Then the doorbell rang and my heart stopped.

"Door's open!" Jill shouts not wanting to get up.

I stand subconsciously, staring at the door with wide eyes.

Jake gives me a confused yet concerned look.

I hear the door open and my mom steps inside. The sound of her heels slowly makes her way to the table.

I watch her as she takes off her huge faux fur coat and neatly places her purse on the ground before turning around to face us.

"Hi Mom," I say with a small wave and a smile.

"Hi Dear," She waves back and I let out a little sigh of relief.

She totally just had a long day- I knew she wasn't mad at me.

"Nicole. You didn't have to have them make you a full course goodbye dinner." She adds as she surveys the table.

"But we-"

"I apologize. You didn't have to do this," She says to Jill thinking she cooked the meal.

"But-"

She cuts me off, "Nicole don't you think you should apologize?"

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. What was going on?

But before I could respond Jill chimes in... thankfully.

"No apology needed. Nicole and Jake were actually the ones who cooked this meal."

She looks at Jake and then at me, "You cooked?"

I nod with a proud smile, "I did. Jake was teaching while I was here. Try it!"

She purses her lips together as she fills her plate with food and everyone follows suit.

"This is delicious guys! Great job!" Jill cheers as she takes a bite of the food.

I smile and then look over at my mom, "Not bad. You could use a little more seasoning on the bread crumbs and there is way too much cheese and the mashed potatoes could use some more salt but otherwise, it's pretty good."

But I thought we did a good job seasoning the bread crumbs.

"I beg to differ. Any more seasoning would overpower the chicken itself, and just scrape the cheese off. It's not that hard," Jake says harshly, "Oh and here's the salt." Jake adds as he places down the salt next to my mom.

"Matter of opinion," my mom replies as she takes another bite of chicken.

Jake rolls his eyes and fight the urge to chuckle.

For the rest of the dinner, Jill and my mom were catching up while Jake and I silently had a conversation with our eyes.

Can I kill her?

No, Jake, that's my mom!

She's sure not acting like it.

I roll my eyes at him because he is annoying and I know he is right.

"Alrighty, I think it's about time went get going" my mom suddenly says, "Go grab your things and I'll meet you at the car."

I frown at her, "But what about cleaning up? We were the ones that cooked dinner we should be the ones to clean it." I say trying to come up with an excuse to stay longer.

"Don't worry sweetheart. I'll clean it up for you guys. Jake go help her with her things." Jill says cheerfully not catching onto my settle hint.

I sigh and walk to my room with Jake following silently behind me.

Once I'm in my room I line up my suitcases.

"Okay Mr. Muscles, take this one it's the heaviest," I say trying to lighten the mood.

He chuckles as he grabs the suitcase and rolls it to my mom's car.

I grab the next two medium-size suitcases and start making my way out of my room. My head turns around to face my room once more. I only have a few more things left to bring out to the car...

Then an idea popped into my head.

I quickly grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and began writing a little note for Jake. Right before I ran out of my room I grabbed something of mine that was neatly sitting on my bed and ran into Jake's room. I placed the things neatly on his night table and scurry back to my room.

I grab hold of the two suitcases and force myself to walk to the car. When I walk outside Jake is leaning against the car with his arms crossed waiting for me.

I roll up with the suitcases and he helps me lift them into the car.

"Hurry up," My mom shouts from the front seat

"I only have a few more things left to get."

Jake rolls his eyes and we walk inside back to my room.

I grab my backpack, pillow, and everything else that was lying around with a loud sigh.

"Before you go take this," Jake says abruptly as he starts to take off his sweater.

"Jake but I already have one of your sweaters and plus this one is your favorite!" I protest as he tries to hand it to me.

He shakes his head, "Which is exactly why you should have it. A part of me will be with you all the time. Plus now it's an even number so when you wash one you have another to wear."

"But-" I try to say knowing how much he loves his sweater but then Jake cuts me off by attempting to put the sweater on over my head.

"Okay okay!" I laugh as I start putting the sweater on myself, "I'll take good care of it.

I close my eyes with a smile as the sweater wraps around my body. It was huge on me but it's this fabric kept me warm, and the best part was it smelt like him.

When I open my eyes, I find Jake with an ear to ear dorky smile.

Our eyes locked.

I wanted to tell him so much. I wanted to thank him and tell him what he really means to me, but I couldn't. I wanted to pour my heart out to him at this very moment, but I didn't.

"Thank you-" is all I say pulling my eyes away from him to look at my backpack lying on my bed.

It's too sappy of a goodbye... right? Plus saying it now probably isn't the right time anyway... right?

I slip my backpack onto my back and grab the remaining of my things.

Jake grabs my last suitcase and we make our way to the car to find my mom honking the horn to tell us to hurry up.

We throw the last of my items in the car and close the trunk.

I turn to Jake and give him one last hug goodbye.

"Bye Jake," I say into his chest on the verge of tears.

He gently rests his chin on the top of my head as he wraps his arms around me, "Bye Princess."

We stay like that for a moment before I finally look up to him.

A single tear forms at the corner of my eye and makes it's way down my cheek.

Jake gives me a sad smile as I see his eyes begin to gloss over too, "I'll see you every day. I'll make sure of it."

I smile back as I nuzzle my face into his chest one more time.

Jake pulls me into him and hugs me tightly.

Beep beep

My mom honks the horn loudly which causes me to break away from him.

"Time to go!" She shouts from the window.

"Coming," I say annoyed at her.

Couldn't she be a little sympathetic?

I walk to the other side of the car and open the passenger's side door.

I give Jake a soft kiss on the lips before hopping into the car.

"Bye," I say softly.

"Bye," He says back giving my hand one last squeeze before I shut the door.

And the second the door was shut my mom hit the gas and we were off.

I roll down my window and poke my head out to wave goodbye as we drove out of his driveway.

When he was no longer in sight I pulled my head into the car and shut the window.

"Well that took forever," my mom says harshly.

And that's when I realized my life had entirely changed once again.

• • •

{A/N}

Thank you all for being so patient with me! Its been a rough two weeks for me. I was apart of the Disney College program and sadly had to move out and go back home. Then my mom got injured and tore a ligament in her knee... which we actually weren't too sad about cause she's a nurse. And I sprained my ankle... And then I got news that my Nonna passed away... so yeah my life has been a mess.

Thank you for being patient.

Here are some shootouts! @itzurgirljosie @chikkipoo21 @j1inxx @lillyw2 @no_heart_ @swankysquid @Lcat9304 @patria_love @cindybenn @sanaAkhtar4

Don't you worry Yessss I will be finishing this book!! ❤️

Don't be a silent reader 🌸

*Vote and Comment*

Alyssa Rose

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

359K 10.3K 41
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Ellie has lived in Santa Barbara her entire life with her parents and...
15.6K 355 37
Zoe Bryant is a regular girl heading into her senior year of high school. She wants to spend her senior year hanging out with her friends and having...
213K 10.5K 50
Amber has a secret, one that she hates. When the school bad boy finds out, she realizes he isn't who he seems to be. Garrett is hiding something. Whe...
1.1M 27.1K 50
Arianna has never had a normal life. Her mom died when she was 10 and her father blames her. Ever since the day her mom died her dad has abused her m...