Caged In

By AnnSearle

A day trip to a local wildlife refuge was Cage's last idea for a date with a female. Being dragged into it by... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 24

4.3K 130 19
By AnnSearle

Chapter 24

My leg shakes with the effort not to get up and pace. What have I done? I can't handle the wait, not knowing if she is okay. They came as fast as they could when I called Scott to explain what had happened. Dominic and Luca arrived first still being close by, they didn't leave the area after yesterday, lingering. The pack doctor reassured us she would be fine but it didn't stop the anger of a father set and determined to destroy what dare to harm his daughter. It didn't stop until Barret and Dominic's beta hauled him off me. My body still aches from his lesson on who he is to her but I welcome the pain. It's deserved.

Burying my face in my hands I can't handle this any longer. I can't feel her in her unconscious state. I can't tell how she feels, if she is in pain, when she will wake, if she is happy or angry with me, if she still wants me.

Coming to a stand my legs move on their own accord to reach the staircase leading to her. A low growl has my foot stopping on the first step. "I don't know if you are that determined or incredibly stupid." Alpha Dominic's voice is calm and cool but his eyes hold his rage when I meet them. "Probably both," answering him as I take the stairs two at a time he remains silent while his beta gives a low chuckle in amusement.

Pushing the door to her room open slowly Sophia still lays resting in her bed. She looks peaceful laying there but I wish she would open her eyes for me. I have to know she is okay. "She will be fine Beta Cage, I assure you." The doctor is packing up his bag on the dresser to leave.

My jaw ticks "How can you be so sure?" It's an accusation.

He looks me over but I pay him no attention. Taking the chair from her vanity and setting it next to her bed before sitting down and taking her hand in mine. I feel a spark run through me at the contact of our skin. Bring it to my lips pressing a kiss to the back before rubbing it against my cheek.

Wake up.

"I have researched enough to know. This is normal. Her body just can't handle all of the excitement and stress at the same time as a wolf can. Where we would get tired she got overwhelmed, all she needs is rest and she will be okay for now. This isn't the concerning part of this." He informs me and I stiffen before turning fully towards him.

"For now? This gets worse?" I can't hide my anger.

Someone in the pack knew something and did not inform me beforehand. The doctor trains like the rest of us, it isn't like he went without seeing me and he has waited until now to tell me these things. "She is human born but she will shift. I don't know when though, her case is unusual given one parent being a wolf. An alpha at that. It could be today, it could be a week. Most happen by the new moon so I am sure it won't take too long. Just know it's going to be a lot more painful for her."

It's a quick motion he didn't see coming. Pinning him to the wall off his feet he struggles to breathe as his eyes widen in fear. The wolf descends. His voice is loud enough to shake these walls, the doctor's body doesn't stop shaking when it ends. "You waited this long to tell me." My voice is distorted by the mingling of my vocal cords with the wolf. He doesn't speak, he can only choke trying to bring in the air to his lungs. The door slams open and I feel Scott's hands trying to move me. "Stop, Cage, release him." He demands me but we don't listen, applying more pressure instead. "He knew." It's hardly spoken the wolf pushes forward full now as I feel my mouth morph and my nails elongate to dig into his flesh.

All I see is red.

"Enough." It's Luca this time trying to halt my onslaught. I can't see him through my blurring tunnel vision, one thought on my mind. "Cage, he's the only one who knows somethin' about what's goin' on. If angthin' happens to my sister, we may just need him. we can't use him if he's dead." He is trying to coax me into releasing my grip. Instinct and logic battle in my mind.

Logic wins.

Letting go the doctor slumps to the ground dragging needed air into his lungs before Luca drags him out and down the stairs.

Scott fumes next to me "what the fuck was that Cage. You are becoming a loose cannon. We cannot do this with you again, I don't have it in me to keep you under control. He is our only doctor at the current moment. He is still in his prime, we can't afford to lose him. Even if we did have the money to find and hire another at what they charge, it's a bidding war if you do find one. Have you lost your damn mind?" He chafes at my disobedient and aggressive behaviour.

"Maybe I have." Looking down at my hands to see the blood starting to dry on them already I don't know if I feel sorry for what I have done. Maybe for the trouble it would cost the pack, but not for the doctor's sake. He only shakes his head in response to me before pushing past me and back down the stairs to rejoin the others. Sophia hasn't even stirred from the disturbance in her small quarters. Picking up my seat that lay on the floor I take her hand back into mine, rubbing the pad of my thumb over her knuckles before bringing it back up to my lips. I feel her hand give a slight twitch at the contact and my breath hitches. "Sophia?" Watching her eyes as they slowly blink open, they move across the ceiling as she slowly starts to open them. She tries to whisper something out but it's stuck in her throat. Looking around a small glass with water sits on the nightstand, it's warm but it is better than nothing. Helping her sit up slightly she drinks slowly as her eyes close. Taking it away setting back down she tries to focus on her surroundings, glancing over the bed before her gaze falls on our joined hands. They start their trail over my arm causing a heat to rise within me, they stop on my jaw before darting across my face finally resting on mine. My heart races as I wait for her reaction.

She takes her hand from mine and I drop it into my lap lowering my head. Cautiously she runs her fingers over my cheek and down my jaw until they stop under my chin raising it back up before bringing them to my lips, I can't stop my tongue from darting out and tasting their tips. My eyes never leave hers, watching them follow her movement. They feel the bruise under my eye before she locks eyes with me once again. I am starting to feel her emotions. Happy. Curious. Bliss. Her negatives start to fade away with each movement of her hand. She cups my face into her hand and I close my eyes before leaning into the touch.

Sophia pulls away and a whimper escapes at the loss of contact. Opening my eyes she is trying to sit up, I reach my hands up to her shoulders carefully pressing her back down into the mattress "you need to rest," softly speaking while my thumb brushes over my marking peeking out of her shirt. The intake of a breath is loud and her eyes flutter close with the pleasure from the contact. Her tongue darts out slowly as it glides over her top lip before moving to the bottom. "I need to get up, please." She whispers breathlessly.

"No. The doctor says you need to rest," cupping her face gently her eyes plead with mine as they hold a slight shine. Sophia's skin looks paler than I'm use to, her lips have cracks starting to form from dehydration. She looks so vulnerable in this state, something I'm not used to.

She places her hand on mine, "I just want to get a shower, please," she asks again, running her hand up my arm causing it to quiver under her touch. Placing a soft kiss to my wrist she knows what she is doing to me. Lowering myself down to breathe against her ear, her body shivers from the tickle it causes on her skin. Two can play that game. Pressing my nose to the crook of her neck inhaling deep while it skims over her skin, her breath hitches in her throat and I can feel her trying to swallow. "I like the way you smell," pressing my body weight down slightly to demonstrate just how much I appreciate the mingling of our scents on her skin. Sophia arches her body to press against mine completely with her own needs, "join me, I might need some help," running her fingers into my hair pulling me down to her lips. She is making it difficult to tell her no.

Pulling away from her lips she follows my movement with a frustrated groan. "Maybe another time I don't think your family would appreciate that at the current moment." Pushing myself off her and back to the seat takes more energy than it should, her body calls to mine with gravity; it pulls me back to it every time. She gives me a confused look before she focuses on different parts of my face. "Is that who did that to you?" She asks pointing out the bruises, her voice is starting to roll with the rising storm her fury is about to bring and I refuse to fuel that fire, keeping my mouth shut. She bounds out of bed before I can stop her. Gripping the door frame She tries to stand on wobbling legs. "Sophia, stop!" I can feel her head rushing with the quick movement before she steadies herself going out the door. When I get my hand on her shoulder she twists out of my grasp, grabbing the railing on the stairs and feeling the walls length as she darts down the stairs and I am hot on her heels.

"Get the fuck out of my house, all of you. Now!" Her voice is controlled anger. The three males she knows glance to one another before focusing back on her. Scott, the fool, opens his mouth. "We are here to help you, I know this is confusing but-" one raised finger from her has him snapping his mouth closed again. "What's confusin' is your inability to listen, I said leave." Sophia outstretches her arm to sweep across the room before settling on the door. "All of y'all, use it. Now."

Luca is the first to leave after the doctor; he didn't need to be told twice. Beta Nate takes a dumbfound Scott by the arm guiding him out the door. "Best ye don't argue with the lass Alpha, her bite is worse than her bark." He laughs loudly with a big smile telling Scott when he opens his mouth once more to protest. He clamps it shut letting himself be led out. Alpha Dominic does not make any motion to leave his chair, petting the orange cat that sits peacefully in his lap. He stares Sophia down unmoved by her demands.

Her finger points in my direction next, "how dare you! What gives yea the right?" Her body shakes slightly with the rising adrenaline starting to pump through her veins. There is a threat in her voice of promises yet to come.

"I am your father." He informs her as this is all the reason and justice he needs in the world to do anything.

Her retorting laugh is menacing. "You mean when you have to be or when it suits your needs, you certainly weren't around when I needed you the most. Get out of my house and don't come back." she shouts taking a step towards him, he places the cat on the ground before rising from his seat with purpose. Sophia raises her chin standing her ground as he steps into her space. "Here's the thing Princesa." Another step is taken coming face to face with her. Sophia's chest rises and falls quickly with her breathing, clenching her teeth and her hands into fists. "You have entered into my world now, it is not that simple anymore. I tried to keep you out of it, keep you away from it all. But now there isn't a choice in it. You can't just run off our throw me out every time you disagree with me or what I am doing." Word after word, he leans in closer. "You made this choice Babygirl, you will live with the consequences that brings with it. Now you have to figure out what you are going to do. Stay here, be the betas mate or take your place at the head of our pack where you belong. Either way, I will be around, year after year, you will have to deal with me even if only on a professional level. Get used to it now while you can." He doesn't wait for her response before leaving.

She stands quietly while her shoulders slump down, body growing weak as the weight of his words sinks in and the high she felt starts to dissipate. "What does he mean the head of our pack?" She asks me, but I know she knows better. More puzzle pieces fall into her mind as she continues piecing it together one by one, she just doesn't want to finish it.

Taking her hand and leading her to the couch this is going to be a discussion we should both sit down for, It's something I never had to think about until now.

It takes me a moment to think before clearing my threat. "Sophia. I don't know how to tell you this but your father is an Alpha and evidently, you are his oldest." Pausing a moment allowing my words to settle in. Her eyes swirl with the thoughts now starting to twist through her mind on what this means. "So I'm next in line. That's not possible." she shakes her head back and forth before pressing her hand to the side of her forehead holding it trying to relieve the pressure starting to pound out. "How can that be? I'm not like you, I don't change like you can." She doesn't want this, mulling through her mind trying to find a reason in the logic.

"Apparently you will." Taking my time to tell her the new bit of information I just discovered.

Her eyes go wide before she closes them. "W-what? This is too much" she whispers in a shaky voice.

"The doctor told me this morning. Sometime between now and the next full moon, you will have your first shift. I won't lie or sugar coat this for you. It's going to hurt. It'll be the most painful thing you will probably experience in your life. I can help a little but it's going to be on you to get through it. The more you fight it, the longer it takes and the more it hurts."

Sophia is up and out of her seat before I can stop her, pacing back and forth in a panic. "I-I don't want this." She says over and over as she nibbles her thumb. I can hear the racing beat of her heart as the panic begins to take over. Her movements start to stumble as her words begin to slur, reaching for her wrapping my arms around her, holding her up as her body slumps against mine and her breathing is forced in and out at a quickened pace. She is hyperventilating. "Sophia, " making her look me in the eyes "you need to calm down and breathe. We will take this one step at a time."

An hour passes as she finally calms her erratic heart and breathing. Her eyes begin to droop from the exhaustion. "Let's get you back to bed." Pulling her up to stand I try to guide her to the stairs but she won't move. "Can we just pack my bag and go back to your place for the night?" Her voice is low. I nod my head before helping her up the stairs and sitting her on her bed. She directs me to the closet for a bag, not caring much for the clothing telling me anything will do. "I will have to leave food out for the cats before I leave," she informs me as we come back down the stairs. "Alright, where is it?" I ask and she points towards the kitchen as she leans against the wall. I guide her to the couch before putting food in each dish that sits on the floor. One of the cats inches closer pressing itself against the wall smelling it as it moves closer before its fur raises and she swipes at my hand with a threatening hiss when I reach my hand out. She darts off crying out a meow going back to hide. "Another thing to add to the growing list of complications." I thought if I could work things out and mate Sophia, things would simply fall into place. How wrong I was.

Standing up heading back to Sophia, "I don't think your cat likes me much." dusting my hands off one another coming to her side putting them out to help her up. Her forehead scrunches slightly as she tilts her head humming. "Which one?" she asks, taking my hands leaning on them as she pulls herself off the couch.

"The brown striped one." telling her as I bend down to pick up the bag from the floor. She giggles slightly before swaying slightly, reaching her hand out putting it on my arm to steady herself. Wrapping my arm around her we walk outside towards her car and help her into the passenger seat while putting the bag in the back seat. Coming to the driver's seat she passes me the keys, "Juniper hates everyone, me included." she yawns covering her mouth before blinking her eyes relaxing back in her seat bringing her legs up to her chest. "Why do you have a cat that doesn't like you?" asking while I drive towards the packlands. Sophia simply shrugs, "if I don't love her mean ass who will?" she answers in a sleepy voice before she starts to doze off. I'll leave it alone for now, we will have to discuss pets in my cabin another time.

The closer to the pack we get the more movement I notice in the treeline; we are being followed. Two wolves dart out from the trees, the copper one runs behind the vehicle while the darker brown one comes in front of the car causing me to slam on the breaks. Fucker. He shows his teeth before running to the other side of the road allowing me to continue driving. I don't think Sophia would appreciate me running over her brother, angry or not. Although the temptation is growing as they run alongside us.

Coming to the front of the cabin Luca shifts putting his hand on the top of the car door in an effort to pin me in, he still has a lot of growing to do. His canines are pressed into his smile like he is looking for a fight. Conner shifts keeping his distance, he's more of the challenge between the two for now. My patience is weaning. "Move," curtly speaking. He leans on the side of the car enough for me to close the door before grabbing my arm. He chuckles when I step into his space, "real brazen aren't you?" I ask.

"Ya know, I remember when you were nicer," he stretches his arms up above his head and I can feel my teeth grinding down to the point my jaw is beginning to hurt.

"I remember when you weren't such a little shit, but here we are. Now what do you want?" I have to keep my voice low when I notice Sophia shift in her seat. He opens his mouth to speak when Conner calls out his name and he shuts it glancing back to him before readdressing me, "I just wanna chat, told you that yesterday." he shifts his smile, licking over his canines before lowering his teeth, "although it would have been better to talk yesterday."

"Luca" Conner warns him again. He rolls his shoulders before taking a step back to give us both room to breathe. Walking around to the otherside the vehicle between us might stop me long enough before my fist makes contact with his face. "I wouldn't have the time to speak with you even if I wanted to." reaching for Sophia's door opening it slightly to not disturb her.

He crosses his arms leaning them on the top of her car, "if it makes ya feel any better she told me about you 'bout a month ago, I only figured out it was you before we came here." he rubs the corner of his mouth when his canines poke past his lips, "said she thought she finally met someone. How cute."

Pinching my nose, closing the door again softly, "if you have a point get to it." gritting the words through my teeth.

"Ya, I got a point. Look man I ain't your enemy here. She may hate Dad, and he probably deserves most of it, but I aint a part of that. She might be mad now but she bound to be happy again eventually. Im gonna come by tomorrow for that chat. One way or another." he tells me as he leans more over the car with his tooth grin. I am not impressed.

Sophia starts to stir awake slightly fumbling her hand on the door searching for the door handle while her eyes try to open. "Fine, you come around noon. She needs to rest and I have plans for dinner."

He perks slightly, "going to Val's house?" he asks with interest. She needs to stop being kind and feeding wolves.

"Don't come to my grandmothers house, you come here and you go fuck off somewhere. You understand me?" my turn to leave on the car. The door opens hitting my stomach and Luca mockingly saults me before he walks away, "I wont show up there tomorrow but I make no promises about now," he laughs before shifting back to his wolf and running towards Grams. Conner follows after him muttering, "I got him." before shitting himself growling out to Luca.

Moving out of the way I let Sophia out of the car. "What was that?" she asks looking around wiping the corners of her eyes with a yawn. "Nothing lets go to bed." taking her bag from the back seat before grabbing her hand bringing her into the house. She lazily changes into something for bed before pulling me with her down to the bed, "relax and sleep with me," she pouts closing her eyes. Brushing my nose over her cheek kissing it softly I try to push my thoughts to the back of my mind for the night, we both need the sleep.

I'll deal with her brother tomorrow, whether I want to or not. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88 0 17
Synopsis: Wolves first shift when they turn fifteen, and now, five years later, Arlet can't wait to turn twenty because then she will finally be...
9.3K 234 25
It was cold. So cold. My skin and body was numb, I shivered. My skin was purple, the once puddles on my floor almost like a pool. My cell was complet...
3.2K 248 18
Coy didn't know the difference between herself and her pack members. As far as she was concerned they were the same, they were family. She had always...
8.2K 781 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...