The King of Ruin

By AdorableLee17

Book 1 (Of the Continents) In the wee hours of the night, two females make the decision to flee for their liv... More

Part One
The Flame Court
Bianca's Plan 1
Bianca's Plan 2
The Winter Solstice
An Escape
The North Court
Letters
Decisions
Disaster
Part Two
King Kent
Market Part 1
Market Part 2
Magic
Wintertide Part 1
Wintertide Part 2
Lunar New Year
Day Out
High Council of Seraphine
The Court of Aletheia

Turning of Seasons

17 0 0
By AdorableLee17

12 Auriga, 13006

3rd Pov

"This year we plan to the maximum," Beck states passing out paper to his small court. This meeting was called last minute, but it's important. Earlier in the day, before Bianca mentioned taking Mari on a trail ride, Beck and his court learned the 21 of Kore is Mari's birthday.

Not only was she born on the spring equinox her birth signified all the deeds of winter will fade. A new hope.

"Question," Darrian asks raising a finger. The others turn to the younger redhead. "Why didn't she tell us when her birthday was last year?"

"She was settling in," Mylo states. "It would have been a lot if we asked her about it,"

"How would you feel if your father sold you to a male you hated and when you escaped he followed and planned to destroy anyone in his path," Kerri states, summing up the events of the past year and a half. She makes good points. It would have been extra stressful if Mari had told the court and they planned a grand event.

With Val off their tail, they have free range.

"Fair point," Myla glances at Darrian. Catching Myla's gaze Darrian turns his to the floor.

"That's what I thought," Kerri states. She pours herself a tall glass of wine from Beck's not-so-secret stash. Beck stares her down and lets out a small whine. The redhead only grins. "You didn't hide the bottles well enough,"

"Remind me to find a better hiding place," Beck mutters to his brother, then announces to his court. "I had a thought of how to distract Mari. I'm thinking Myla and Kerri can take her shopping for the day and come back at around 7,"

Beck looks to Mylo. "You and I along with Bianca can set up while they keep Mari away,"

"And what should I do my king?" Darrian asks nudging his king's foot with his own.

Beck makes an oh face as if remembering he had a fifth court member to help him. The young king pauses for a moment, then smiles. "You know how you're a fantastic critic,"

"Yeah,"

"Go shopping and gossip,"

Darrian smiles. "Perfect,"

"As for decorations what are we thinking?" Myla asks, she knows her way around Mari's styles by now. Beck passes his list to the lady of Kaliste. His list contains various types of purple flower orders. From Anemone, Canterbury bells, Bellflowers and Bee Orchard to the most ordered Hyacinth.

Mari's favourite flower. A flower Mari used to keep in her windowsill box.

In addition to flower orders, Beck has a small range of fabrics to be ordered from Lady Vranes. His idea consists of a canopy hanging from the ceiling, which will cover a mural to be revealed at the party. A touching detail given to Beck by his father.

"It will be the turning of the seasons, we'll play into that," Beck smiles.

"She'll like that,"

"I think so too."
_____

21 Kore, 13006

Mari's Pov

"Happy spring Mari!" Myla waltzes over to where I am currently sitting, a book in hand and a mug of tea still piping hot. I was looking forwards to my afternoon but Myla looks like she has something planned.

"Happy spring Myla,"

"Want to go shopping?"

"Sure—"

"Come on it will be fun plus you need a new wardrobe for spring--wait you said yes," Myla pauses blinking a few times before yelling for Darrian and Kerri. Kerri almost immediately appears. Darrian on the other hand doesn't.

Oh. Whoa, she did not expect me to say yes.

Myla quickly snaps out of it and rushes to pull me out my door. Kerri loops her arm through mine with a smile. Woah a genuine Kerri smile. What has them all pepped up? Wait Mari yelled for Darrian and Kerri. "Is Darrian coming?"

"Yes,"

Footsteps chase after us. I glance over my shoulder and running after us is another redhead. Darrian. "And him running after us makes sense,"

"Hurry up lazy bones," Kerri yells at her brother.

For a second Darrian's footsteps speed up, then he's walking in line with us. "Glad you could make it Darrian,"

Darrian smiles and brushes a strand of red hair out of his eye. "Glad to be here, now I've been thinking of where to go,"

"Let's hear it," Myla grins.

"First Madame Katryna's then to Lady Vranes and the last stop at Lord Biorn's,"

Madame? Lord? Lady? Do nobles head these shops? Or are they simply patrons? "Are any of these shops owned by actual nobility? Or are they shop names honouring the dead?"

"The dead," Myla, Kerri and Darrian state at once.

Oh. That's nice.

"Many shops are named after dead lords and ladies, usually the ones who were favoured patrons of the shop owners," Kerri states as we make our way out of the castle.

Kerri continues to tell me that she knew Lady Vranes. Apparently, she was a robust woman who loved the fineries in life. Like pure silk from Persia.

Persia is the capital of silk production. Mother used to make frequent gambits and trips to the kingdom of the sun. Father hates it. He calls it a cursed desert. Father's assessment is not far off. The land was once lush farmland rich with trees and diverse wildlife. Now all that can stand to live in the desert are syrpants, camels and fae who know how to hide from the sun.

"Persia may be the capital of silk but the same can be said about the way it treats females," Myla grunts.

Kerri tells me to leave Myla's musing on Persia alone. She mentions it's never a good idea to talk about Persia with her. It becomes apparent when Myla tells Kerri to not treat her like a glass vase.

Kerri nods.

We walk in silence for a while before we enter the market. The large market is bustling even at this early hour. Males walk briskly to and fro, going about their business with intent. Females stroll along with friends on their arms. Smells come from everywhere. Sweet and savoury, salty and pungent. It's all daze-inducing--but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before.

And soon enough we arrived at Lady Vranes. Oh. This is the shop I visited with Darrian back last Rigel.

"Ah, ladies and lord," The lanky shop owner bows at her waist. Her braided back mousy hair falls forward. "welcome back,"

"Thank you for having us, Ina. Now we are in dire need of new frocks and Mari here can't decide for the life of her so we will need your help looking for colours," Myla immediately jumps into conversation with the owner. Ina, I believe her name is.

"Of course," Ina looks me up and down. A smile graces her face. "I think a pale pink, light green the same colour as the king's eyes and pale blue like the sky,"

"That's a good start,"

"Let's get to it,"

For hours Myla, Kerri, Darrian, Ina and I look for fabric. Several times I tossed one at Myla, she thought it was for me but I corrected her by saying it would look elegant on her. I did the same with Kerri who smiled at my choices. Even Darrian gave me applause. Darrian has a nose for colour and the way fabric will lay on the fae form.

I learned that months ago when he took me to the market. Now he gives the same amount of criticism he did then.

After a short snack of honey and cheese, we continue to fill out order forms for dresses fit for spring. Myla ends up ordering a beautiful dress in orange, the fabric I threw at her earlier. She also got three other dresses in yellow, purple and pink. 

Kerri stuck with pale blues and greens. Darrian mostly picked hers but what surprised me was the green fabric I picked. That was not an accident. Kerri winked when she saw me watching her talk with Ina. 

For me, it was a whole ordeal. To my friends, it was all hands on board. From not having any spring dresses suitable for outings, I've now got plenty. Three green dresses of various shades, two light blue, a warm yellow leaning more towards orange, a lilac one and three pink dresses of different shades. 

"Shall we head home?" I ask my companions, my slip repeating what I ordered in hand. Kerri nods and slips her arm through mine like she did this morning. 

"Beck won't want us to be late for dinner, he has a whole turning of the season's thing planned," Myla states, frowning at the thought of returning for dinner, "I think Bianca helped him with the planning, I didn't pay much attention to it,"

Darrian grins. "You called the castle home,"

"I did?"

Darrian nods.

"I did." I say with a smile. For once in my life, I'm happy to call a place home.
_____

After washing and dressing Darrian walks me to the dining room. I opted to wear the necklace Beck gave me for wintertide. The necklace is beautiful and something I wear constantly. Darrian noted it and chose fabric accordingly at the Lady Vranes. We never managed to leave to see the other two shops. 

Next time. 

"Suprise!" Beck, Myla, Kerri, Kent, Fern, Mylo and Bianca exclaim as I open the door to the dining room. 

After all the magic lessons with Mylo, my magic has begun to flow more easily through me. So much that it's become integrated with my emotions. Mylo said it would happen and we've been working on making them separate, but today is not one of those days where they are separate. 

Light pours out of my skin and lights up the room and hall. 

When the shock fades so too does the light. Thank the spirits, it's embarrassing enough I almost screamed at the top of my lungs. The light didn't help. 

"What is this?"

"Have you never had a surprise party thrown for your birthday?" Myla asks disbelief ever-present on her face. 

I shake my head. "Never,"

"Well, now you have," Myla states motioning for me to fully enter the room. As I do I check out what they've done to the dining room. 

Hyacinth covers the windowsills, Anemone, Canterbury bells, Bellflowers and Bee Orchard flowers decorate the tables as centrepieces. Above us, covering the ceiling is an abundance of fabrics. Purples, greens, blues and yellows. The fabric has been strategically placed as if to cover something on the ceiling. 

What could it be?

"Pull the rope," Mylo encourages. I look around for this rope he wants me to pull. When it becomes apparent he nods for me to join him.  

Mylo walks me over to a rope dangling by the fireplace. My hands take the smooth rope and tug on it. The fabric falls from the center and floats to the walls, leaving a mural of--me. Me protecting Kent. Spirits this is something. Not at all what I expected. 

It's beautiful. The artist is incredibly talented. 

A small tap on my shoulder brings me out of my trance. I look away from the mural to find Beck holding a box. He urges me to take it. "Happy 23rd Mari,"

I take the box and give it a small shake. A tiny jingle reaches my ears. It's going to be jewellery, expensive and beautiful. "You didn't have to get me a gift, being here is gift enough,"

Beck smiles. "I got you one anyway,"

Inside the box is a bracelet. It's nearly identical to the necklace I'm wearing. Purple gems. My favourite colour. 

"Thank you." I tell Beck, and I mean it from the bottom of my very full heart. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.1K 1.4K 52
They say nothing was left of Ravenna Aphelion... nothing but her ancestral amber ring and a scared little girl clinging to it and crying in the ash o...
91 7 9
Our world has always been ruled by Titans. Since the beginning of our history books, the five kingdoms have been warded by the five Titans. These god...
2K 153 24
Valdis must navigate the world after her brothers death leaving her bonded to his four friends. She must fight dark forces, a corrupt Kingdom's way o...
34.4K 2.5K 23
After nearly two decades of being a species torn apart, the Fae are weighed with the heaviness of restoring what once was. New beginnings, new loves...