The Missing Piece

By JazeSnow

From her horn-rimmed glasses to T-shirt-and-jeans combo, Brooke is a nerd. She was happy enough to be enclose... More

Author's Note
Brooke 01
Levi 02
Brooke 03
Levi 04
Brooke 05
Levi 06
Brooke 07
Levi 08
Brooke 09
Levi 10
Brooke 11
Levi 12
Brooke 13
Levi 14
Brooke 15
Levi 16
Brooke 17
Levi 18
Brooke 19
Levi 20
Brooke 21
Levi 22
Brooke 23
Levi 24
Brooke 25
Levi 26
Brooke 27
Levi 28
Brooke 29

Levi 30

2.6K 63 56
By JazeSnow

1. Hey guys! I'm back!! *woohoo! here comes the author like finally*

2. So so sorry for the loooong wait. I'm going off to university soon (like, next week!) and there's a lot to be done (registrations, applications and other boring mundane stuff etc.)! The crazy thing is I'm gonna take course that I wouldn't have imagined taking; say, two months ago. This is a big change for me and I honestly do not know if I would be able to handle and stomach this change or not. Growing up is scary. *gulps*

3. With that being said, I'll probably have fewer time to do updates but I'll definitely try my very best. Votes and comments from you guys...my readers; is the source of my motivation to write more and more! I couldn't even express how amazing you guys are to give this book a chance. I really hope you do enjoy it (please vote if you do hehe)! Please, leave your thoughts in this book and let me know what you're thinking! Chances are you'll make a bean very very happy~ ^^

4. I hope I can make some friends on the first day of orientation though. Meeting new people is both exciting and nerve-wrecking at the same time for me (who else has this problem!?).  P.S. This author has a tendency of getting tongue-tied and avoiding eye contact when talking to strangers, someone help this bean please /.\

*****

You couldn't possibly blame me for having a little fun with my girlfriend. She was an easy tease and I loved how her cheeks turned rosy in a matter of seconds and her futile attempts of holding up my gaze. I've noticed that her comebacks were getting a little quicker and smarter lately; which led me to suspect Rey as the mastermind of Brooke's secret comeback training. 

Not that I mind though. I could conquer my sweet baby in a matter of seconds in my favorite territory...

The bedroom.

We were currently sitting on the floor of the library, our legs a tangled mess as Brooke snuggled close to me, her heart and soul lost in between the lines of the book on her lap. I opted to observe her quietly as I gently combed through her strawberry blonde hair, satisfied enough with the happy hums she would emit when I massaged her scalp. 

Thanks to our secluded corner, we were very much hidden from the prying noses of the outside world; save for a nervous looking young librarian who panicked upon stumbling across two girls cuddling together. I had to stifle a laugh as he scurried away with his cart of books immediately. As expected of my little bookworm, she was still deeply engrossed in the content of the book despite the gentle snoring that filled the air (courtesy of the senior librarian who had fallen asleep at the front counter after a long day's of work). 

To be honest, I was already hungry for dinner. Unfortunately for me, a look at the pile of books that Brooke had picked out earlier told me that she wasn't going to leave the library anytime soon. Allowing my gaze to roam my surroundings lazily, my eyes fell onto a book titled The Great Gatsby. A favorite of mine of all time. Hoping to not disturb Brooke with my sudden movement, I leaned forward slightly and stretched my arm to retrieved it.

Smoothing the worn out edges of the book, I wondered when was the last time I had sat down properly and finished a book in one sitting. As I opened the book, a picture fell out and landed beside me, perfectly obscure from Brooke's line of sight. Funny. 

Frowning, I picked up the picture and felt my blood ran cold.

It was a picture of our first date in the cabin. Brooke's head was resting against my chest, my arms were draped around her protectively as we cuddled on the bed. Our naked bodies were hidden by the blankets; but whoever took this picture must have already seen what we've done that night to cause Brooke to collapse from sheer exhaustion. I flipped the picture and found a familiar handwriting that had old ghosts risen from their graves to haunt me.

Greetings...Coleman.

This wasn't the time to freak out and screamed my throat raw. You've done this plenty of times, Levi. You know you could do it. I have to be calm for Brooke's sake. "Come on, Brooke. It's getting dark," I forced a smile as I tightened my hold on my girlfriend's arm slightly. 

We're not safe here. We need to leave. 

Brooke jumped a little at my hushed voice, blinking at her surroundings momentarily as she took in the almost deserted library and the quickly fading lights through the windows. "Oh! I-I'm sorry. I didn't notice the time and you must be hungry by now and oh my god I think we forgot about Teddy as well-" she rambled on with a face red with embarrassment as I watched her tidying up the books that scattered around her hastily. 

Fuck. Teddy. 

"It's alright. The librarian will take care of it," I interrupted her abruptly as I gripped her wrist to stop her movement, a new wave of panic arising in my chest. I don't bother giving two shits about this mess when my baby brother's life might be on the line at any moment now. 

Brooke dropped the books that she were clutching previously onto the floor. "Levi...what happened? Are you okay?" Genuine concern reflected off her grave grey eyes and my gaze fell to my hand which happened to grip her wrist with more force than intended. 

I knew I shouldn't lie to her. But I needed to protect her for now. I released my grip on her and pulled myself up from my previous sitting position. Ignoring the numbness in my legs from hours of sitting on the hard floor, I was desperate to leave this place immediately. For all I know, we could be monitored right now. The picture seemed to scorched a hole into the palm of my hand and I quickly shoved it deep into my pocket. "Nothing happened. Just hungry," I extended a hand towards Brooke which she accepted albeit a little hesitantly. 

"Are you sure?" She asked as we hurried out of the library and onto the streets. 

"Yea," my face felt painful at my attempt of stretching a smile. "I feel like I could eat for two right now." The truth was my lie tasted like sawdust in the back of my throat.

I thanked the dimming sky silently, grateful for the lack of light that helped to mask my paranoia. "Let's hurry and fetch Teddy then. I'll have to get home quick for dinner too," Brooke nodded before clambering up my bike obediently, void of any form of protests for once; as if sensing the underlying urgency in my voice. 

After making sure that Brooke had had my helmet on and her arms placed securely around my waist, I reared up the engine and kicked my feet off the gravel. "Hold on tight," I warned Brooke before I sped us to Rey's house. I remembered hoping desperately that Teddy and Tina are still playing dolls without a care in the world, their chaperone alive and her hands full with the two little rascals. 

*****

I practically ran up to Rey's house and rang the doorbell three times in a row despite Brooke's questioning worried glances. Come on come on come on. The doorbell existed for a reason! Answer the fucking door!

"Levi! Seriously, what's wrong?" Brooke demanded when she caught up with me, slightly panting from her effort to jog after me. 

"I'm just worried that he hasn't had any dinner yet," my lie tumbled out of my mouth easily, my body functioning on autopilot but my mind was on fire, unable to focusing or zeroing on anything.

I know Brooke is too smart to fell for my lie twice. Yet, she was too kind to call me out and threatened me to spill the beans. I saw a flicker of what seemed like disappointment flitted in her eyes as we engaged in a silent stare off, neither of us refusing to back down.

"I'm sorry for causing so much trouble. Rey will fetch me home later. See you in school," she finally broke off the stiffening silence as she looked away from me. 

I couldn't bear her gaze leaving mine but I know what I must do to protect her. I'm sorry, baby. The lesser you know, the safer you'll be. 

"Yes yes yes! Don't get your panties in a twist, Levi," Rey snapped as she flung her front door open. "I've fed both of them dinner and supper as well, so you don't have to worry about Teddy not eating enough. I think Tina coaxed him to eat five pieces of chocolates with her just now; so you might want to limit his sugar intake today." Rey's younger sister scowled at her openly, resentful that she had been caught red-handed while Teddy looked sheepish and apologetic, shuffling from one foot to another. 

Thank the heavens he's safe. I could breakdown and cry like, right now.

"Thanks for taking care of Teddy for me," I said to Rey gratefully while scooping my baby brother up and hugging him tightly. "I'll keep that information in mind. Maybe you should remove the chocolates for Tina's sake, Rey," I suggested.

A dramatic gasp escaped from Tina's lips. "You wouldn't dare," she challenged, her alarmed gaze resting alternating between Rey and me. 

On the other hand, Brooke had slipped into Rey's house quietly, taking away my permission to kiss her goodbye the moment she left my side.

*****

I didn't even bother checking if mum's car was parked in our car porch as soon as we arrived home,  because I'm pretty sure her bodyguards would have handled any incoming threats perfectly fine. I quickly locked up our front door right after we entered the house and did a quick check of the windows. All of them remained close and nothing seemed to be out of place.

Sometimes I'm annoyed at the fact that she hadn't thought of assigning any bodyguards to escort me to school or to be stationed around our house to protect Teddy. But I know it's better to keep my profile in school as low as possible to avoid any unwanted attention. I mentally sighed at the memory of Teddy crying at the sight of mum's heavily-tattooed bodyguard when he tried to get Teddy to open up the door so that he could feed him his lunch. 

"Levy," my baby brother tugged at my sleeve gently, one of his  chubby fists rubbing his eye sleepily as he yawned. "Why are you upset?"

"That's because you indulged on too much chocolates," I scolded gently as I carried him to his room. He looked too tired to listen to bedtime stories anyway; might as well as put him to bed now.

"Indulged," he repeated after me with half-opened eyes. "That's a big word."

"Yea, buddy," I fluffed up the pillows and placed him gently on his race car toddler bed. "Look it up on the dictionary tomorrow, okay?" 

He muttered "remember...dictionary" to himself as I watched his eyelids fluttered gently before they stilled. After making sure Teddy's asleep, I went to my bedroom to make an urgent call.

My call went straight into the voice mail once before Justin picked it up on the second time. "What do you want with me, woman? I'm trying to sleep here," an unceremonious yawn greeted me on the other side of the phone.

"Okay, listen here. He's back," I manage to choke out the words that had been screaming in my head for the past few hours. 

"Who-"

"It's Erik! It's fucking Erik okay!" I exploded as my fear and nerves pushed me over the edge. Oh shit oh shit oh shit. I gotta keep my volume down. Teddy's not supposed to know this.

"Levi. I need you to stay calm for me. For Teddy. Can you do that?" Justin's serious yet concerned voice flow into my ears and all I wanted to do was to break down and cry as a huge wave of relief washed through me at the comfort of an old friend's voice.

I nodded my head even though he couldn't see me. "Yes. Okay," I replied in a hushed tone as I blinked the moisture in my eyes away. 

"Tell me what happened. No, fuck that. I'm coming over now." I heard the rustling of bed sheets and was instantly alarmed at his impromptu visit. 

"No, don't do that. He could be spying on either of us and hurt you," I tried talking some sense into him but of course, my warning went down the drain. I forgot how hot-headed and stubborn he was. The mutual trait of stubbornness was one of the reasons why we had stayed as best friends throughout the years. I wiped my tears at his stupidity. 

"Levi Coleman. You're fucking crying. You must be stupid if you think I'm fooled. Ain't no one's gonna make my bestie cry and I'll be ON. MY. WAY." This time, I didn't bother hiding my strangled sobbing voice from him. I sounded like a dying duck and I blamed it all on Justin. 

The last thing I heard from Justin was him hollering at Maria. "MA! I'M GONNA STAY AT LEVI'S TONIGHT AND NO WE'RE NOT DOING CRACK!"

I sighed as the line went dead. I'll have a lot of explaining to do to the Benson family. 

*****

"Coast clear and you need a hug," I intercepted his welcoming offer a little too happily, thankful that he hadn't mentioned how blotchy my face was or my snot had stained his favorite supreme sweatshirt. 

"Does Teddy know I'm here?" He whispered as we tip-toed our way to the second floor to prevent Teddy from waking up. 

"He doesn't. He shouldn't worry about this." He nodded in understanding. We didn't need to traumatize him further after the horrible incident in the past that had scared him to no end. 

As we walked past Teddy's room, I motioned for Justin to stop and popped my head in to check on my baby brother. I smiled at the sight of his little body curling inwards in a protective stance like a shrimp. I picked up his blanket from the floor and draped it across his body, making sure that the fabric covered every inch of his body aside from his face. Justin remained quiet as he leaned against the door frame, kindly granting the time I needed to observe the little bundle of tranquility in front of me.

He looked so at peace, so vulnerable with his gentle snores and childish features. I couldn't imagine anyone hurting my innocent baby brother so blatantly. My heart clenched at the thought of losing my family. I kissed Teddy's forehead quickly, vowing silently to protect him at all costs in my heart. 

"Where did you see him? Has he been stalking you again? Did he do anything to you guys?" Justin fired a series of questions at him right after we closed my bedroom door. 

"One at a time please," I patted the spot next to me, gesturing him to join me as we both slumped against the pillows. "No, I didn't see him. But there's something I wanna show you."

Justin took the picture that I had stumbled across in the library earlier and his eyes widened in alarm immediately. "The fuck... What is this?"

I massaged my temples and sighed heavily. "We were having our first date and no; I'm not gonna tell you any extra information aside from that."

He shuddered and shook his head. "Let's keep it that way. I just hope you go easy on Brooke."

"Anyway, I found this in a library from a nearby town...folded in between the pages of a favorite book of mine." I spat out the last few words with disgust, hated that my previously untouched reading haven is now tainted by a psychopath. 

He had taken away so much from me...and now he just have to take away this personal part of me that I had bonded over with Brooke as well.

I hate him. I hate this.

"Jesus... Was today your first time visiting the library?" He asked as he returned the picture to me. 

"No, today's the second time. The first was a month ago. Before Brooke and I went for our first date." I furrowed my eyebrows, unable to decipher his trail of thoughts.

"That's bad," he stared at me with a newfound sense of horrible realization dawning on him. "He already knew that you're going to revisit the library again and had prepared this nasty surprise before you guys arrived. That means he has been stalking you for quite some time now."

He paused before he uttered the sentence that he knew I was dreading to hear.

"And I don't think you're the only one."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 9K 31
Levi Brooke is the school's bad boy. He has the looks and all. He parties and drinks when he isn't hanging with the fam or keeping to himself. He has...
906 76 23
Connie has spent the last fifty years as a vampire, but suddenly she finds herself human again. As she comes to terms with her newfound humanity she...
16 1 10
Terri loves her best friend Brooke though they never exactly told one another. Terri made the most horrible mistake of her life marrying Monica whose...
2.9M 90.2K 42
Riley's past isn't something most kids go through. Bad things happened, but when she got older, her dad decided it was best to move, and get away fro...